+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lord Monkton, the crazy fraud

Poster-boy for the anti-science crowd gets owned. Royally, as it were. LOL.

Climate sceptic Lord Monckton told he's not member of House of Lords

Clerk of parliaments publishes letter on Lords' site saying peer is not and has 'never been a member of the House of Lords'

The House of Lords has taken the unprecedented step of publishing a "cease and desist" letter on its website demanding that Lord Christopher Monckton, a prominent climate sceptic and the UK Independence party's head of research, should stop claiming to be a member of the upper house.

The move follows a testy interview given ** Monckton to an Australian radio station earlier this month in which he repeated his long-stated belief that he is a member of the House of Lords. When asked ** ABC Sydney's Adam Spencer if he was a member, he said: "Yes, but without the right to sit or vote [The Lords] have not yet repealed ** act of parliament the letters patent creating the peerage and until they do I am a member of the house, as my passport records. It says I am the Right Honourable Viscount Monckton of Brenchley. So get used to it."

The letter, sent ** David Beamish, clerk of the parliaments, to Monckton last Friday and now published on the Lords' website, states: "You are not and have never been a member of the House of Lords. Your assertion that you are a member, but without the right to sit or vote, is a contradiction in terms. No one denies that you are, ** virtue of your letters patent, a peer. That is an entirely separate issue to membership of the House. This is borne out ** the recent judgement in Baron Mereworth v Ministry of Justice (Crown Office)."

In May, Mr Justice Lewison threw out an action at the Royal Courts of Justice brought ** Baron Mereworth, who maintains that it his hereditary entitlement to attend the Lords, despite the House of Lords Act 1999 debarring all but 92 of the 650 hereditary peers, including his late father Lord Oranmore and Browne. Mr Justice Lewison ruled: "In my judgement, the reference [in the House of Lords Act 1999] to a 'member of the House of Lords' is simply a reference to the right to sit and vote in that house In a nutshell, membership of the House of Lords means the right to sit and vote in that house."

The letter from Beamish to Monckton continues: "I must therefore again ask that you desist from claiming to be a member of the House of Lords, either directly or ** implication, and also that you desist from claiming to be a member 'without the right to sit or vote'. I am publishing this letter on the parliamentary website so that anybody who wishes to check whether you are a member of the House of Lords can view this official confirmation that you are not."

The Guardian understands that the House of Lords has been consulting with its lawyers on this issue since the ABC radio interview aired. It is not yet clear what form of sanction the Lords has available to it should Monckton persist with his claim.

Last year, the then clerk of the parliaments, Michael Pownall, wrote to Monckton stressing that he was not entitled to call himself a member, nor should he use parliament's famous portcullis symbol on his letterheads or lecture slides, as he has done for a number of years.

Monckton wrote back stating that "the House of Lords Act 1999, which purported to exclude hereditary peers from membership of the House of Lords, is defective". He argued that the act removed the right to sit or vote in the upper house, but did not remove membership because peerages are granted ** letters patent, which are a personal gift of the monarch. Monckton claimed in the letter that "only a specific law can annul a grant. The 1999 act was a general law."

Buckingham Palace was drawn into the dispute when it was revealed that Pownall had sought advice from the Lord Chamberlain, a key officer in the royal household, on the potential misuse of the portcullis emblem due to it being the property of the Queen. The Buckingham Palace website states that any misuse of the emblem is prohibited ** the Trade Marks Act 1994, meaning Monckton could potentially be liable for fines and a six-month prison term if the palace pursues the matter and successfully prosecutes him.

Monckton has since been using a slightly altered portcullis emblem on his lecture slides. The two chains hanging either side of portcullis are now kinked instead of straight. It is not known whether the Lord Chamberlain is content with the change. A spokesperson told the Guardian that the palace was "aware of the issue", but it had a policy of not commenting on private correspondence between it and an individual.

Monckton is currently on a lecture tour of Australia discussing climate change. The tour has been dogged ** venue cancellations after he referred to the Australian government's former climate advisor Prof Ross Garnaut as a fascist during a recent lecture in Los Angeles. Footage of the lecture also showed Monckton displaying a swastika next to one of Garnaut's quotes. Monckton later apologised for "having made the point I was trying to make in such a catastrophically stupid and offensive way".

Re: Lord Monkton, the crazy fraud

if he calls himself king, queen or messiah, okay with me. he is sounding the alarm about the global warming fraud, which is really an effort ** some to seize control of everything and everybody.

china and india are not using less coal, they are using more. they have plenty of intelligent people in both countries that have examined all the evidence and decided there is no problem.

australian leaders have panicked, are stopping all use of coal, which will cause their people great expense, but will have no effect on global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    if he calls himself king, queen or messiah, okay with me. he is sounding the alarm about the global warming fraud, which is really an effort ** some to seize control of everything and everybody.

china and india are not using less coal, they are using more. they have plenty of intelligent people in both countries that have examined all the evidence and decided there is no problem.

australian leaders have panicked, are stopping all use of coal, which will cause their people great expense, but will have no effect on global warming.
    He's perfectly entitled to be k-e-r-azy if he likes. What he's not entitled to be is a fraud and a liar.

You need to ask yourself WHY he does this. He's a laughing stock in UK. But he is loved ** the (mostly) US anti-science types, do you think maybe the lies about his position help his credibility outside UK? Certainly seems that way.

On the science, he has been shown to be completely clueless, btw. Its not just that he's a fraud (isnt that rather important?) but he's wrong as well.

Ah, yes, infowars.

Tell you what ... I'll not bother watching that shite, thanks.

okay, he says, the land for the windmills is being leased from rich landholders, and has to paid for ** poor, working rate payers. is this a lie? i think not. the poor will pay more for food because electricity is required to keep frozen food frozen, and to run the canning machines. so, you are in favor of poor people paying more for food?

BTW, how did the land owners get title? well, they inherited it from their ancestor, who murdered the poor farmer who owned it before. age of conquest, and all.

it's okay. after UK has to surrender to china, the land will be fairly distributed to the leaders of the communist party.

scotland population = 5,222,100 (2010 estimate)

china 1,331,460,000 - 2009

india 1,155,347,700 - 2009

there are more people in new york city than scotland.

if scotland burns coal or doesn't burn coal, has no effect on anything in the world. it shouldn't be a concern to anybody. if india and china burn coal it might matter, but they care nothing of your opinion. you can't even speak their language to argue with them. you are irrelevant.

okay, he says, the land for the windmills is being leased from rich landholders, and has to paid for ** poor, working rate payers. is this a lie? i think not.
    Sounds like complete bullshit to me. I've no doubt some windfarms are on land where the landowner is leasing to a power company. So? The point is en3rgy is then added into the national grid, is this not capitalism at work?

BTW, how did the land owners get title? well, they inherited it from their ancestor, who murdered the poor farmer who owned it before. age of conquest, and all.
    ROFL! Are you suggesting the people take back land from the arsitocracy now? You radical revolutionary, you. What has "lord" crazy monkton's bizarre view of English feudal history got to do with modern windfarms and power development projects?

How far do you want to go back in history to make a pathetic political point?

Todays wind farms are built on all sorts of areas, moorland, farmland that was - and is - used for livestock, there are community projects involving all sorts of local groups and interests, and pure capitalist en3rgy companies building projects for financial gain. Just like they would build coal or other fossil fuel generating stations.

In my country, we will have wind and tidal developments supplying a large % of our power in future years, we already DO have something like 30% renewables, making full use of the geography and weather we have here. Its nothing to do with the people getting screwed ** aristocrat landowners. Bizarre. Amusing, but bizarre.

And the same applies in England.

it's okay. after UK has to surrender to china, the land will be fairly distributed to the leaders of the communist party.
    You're an idiot, lol. China owns your country, not mine btw.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Yes, because Coal is so "green", safe to mine and doesn't harm the landscape or the environment.

You truly are, "Dumbles".
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

i didn't say coal was green, i said, the majority of the world is going to burn coal, no matter what you think. if you stop, has no effect. if you burn twice as much, has no effect.

i didn't say coal was green, i said, the majority of the world is going to burn coal, no matter what you think. if you stop, has no effect. if you burn twice as much, has no effect.
    In short. he's moved the goal post again and made up a completely different argument than the one the thread started with.

The argument that Lord mockton is a fraud. Saying one thing that you agree with does not make mockton any less of a fraud or you right.

Also FYI mumbles China is the leading producer of renewable ******. One of the main reasons they have not reduced there carbon emissions is because the US is playing some pretty stupid games.
    Last edited by Spector567; 07-20-2011 at 02:55 AM.

there is a very long audio at the top of this thread. he doesn't say anything crazy. the crazies are the people that want USA to surrender to communist world government, to avoid global warming.

communist = central planning, fair distribution.

kyoto did nothing to slow polution. it was about crippling the richer nations to allow the poor nations to catch up. equality of outcome.

in capitalism, if you do the right thing, you could get rich.

in communism, if you do the right thing, you are branded as evil, greedy, for using you knowledge to enrich yourself. those that do wrong, fail at business, are rewarded, entitled to luxuries, using money, confiscated from others. the party officials, that produce nothing at all, expect worship and obedience. crisis, crisis, crisis - if there's no crisis you wouldn't need all those politicians, ruling class, inner party, to go to meetings and agree with each other to confiscate your wealth and property.

for the individual, it's 1984.

Last edited by mumbles; 07-20-2011 at 07:32 AM.

there is a very long audio at the top of this thread. he doesn't say anything crazy. the crazies are the people that want USA to surrender to communist world government, to avoid global warming.

communist = central planning, fair distribution.

kyoto did nothing to slow polution. it was about crippling the richer nations to allow the poor nations to catch up. equality of outcome.

in capitalism, if you do the right thing, you could get rich.

in communism, if you do the right thing, you are branded as evil, greedy, for using you knowledge to enrich yourself. those that do wrong, are rewarded, entitled to luxuries, using money, confiscated from others. the party officials, that produce nothing at all, expect worship and obedience. crisis, crisis, crisis - if there's no crisis you wouldn't need all those politicians, ruling class, inner party, to go to meetings and agree with each other to confiscate your wealth and property.

for the individual, it's 1984.
    Your whole post rests on the idea that fighting pollution has a secret left wing agenda. It doesnt. In fact it is the attempt to make capitalist gain from it that causes many of the problems. Capitalism is also the solution.

If only the world were as simplistic and black/white as mumbles-land.

carbon dioxide wasn't pollution until it was redefined recently. man is not responsible for the levels of carbon dioxide, that have always gone up and down. the #1 greenhouse gas is water vapor, but they haven't figured out a strategy to confiscate wealth and property using claims that water vapor is destroying the world. to prove they are sincere, the ruling class needs to give up their own wealth and property before confiscating mine.

let me know when al gore decides to give up some of his money.
    Last edited by mumbles; 07-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.

carbon dioxide wasn't pollution until it was redefined recently. man is not responsible for the levels of carbon dioxide, that have always gone up and done. the #1 greenhouse gas is water vapor, but they haven't figured out a strategy to confiscate wealth and property using claims that water vapor is destroying the world. to prove they are sincere, the ruling class needs to give up their own wealth and property before confiscating mine.
    Its not a pollutant. It appears to be those people who want to dismiss man-made climate change who claim its claimed to be a pollutant. It's a greenhouse gas, as you yourself suggested.

And that is the problem. But its only a problem IF we are adversely adding to the quantity in the atmosphere, causing climate change that would not otherwise be happening.

let me know when al gore decides to give up some of his money.
    I thought you like capitalism? Why do you want to redistribute just Al Gore's money?