+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How Liberals Injure Blacks

How Liberals Injure Blacks
    By Dennis Prager

I was recently shown a videotape of people reacting to radio talk shows. Organized by a firm that specializes in analyzing radio talk shows, the members of the listening panel were carefully chosen to represent all major listening groups within American society.

But I quickly noticed something odd -- I saw no blacks among the selected listeners. I asked why. And the response was stunning.

Blacks had always been included, I was told, but no more. Not because the firm was not interested in black listeners -- on the contrary, blacks are an important part of the radio audience. They were not invited to give their opinion about various radio shows because in its previous experience, the company had discovered that almost no whites would publicly differ with the opinions of the blacks on the panel. Therefore, once a black listener spoke, whites stopped saying what they really thought, if what they thought differed from what a black had said.

I believed that this was the reason -- not some racist animosity toward blacks -- since such companies are paid to give accurate reports on audience reactions to radio programs, and clearly their results would be skewed without input from black listeners. But I still needed to test this thesis. Do most whites really not publicly say what they believe, if what they believe differs from what a black believes -- even when the subject has absolutely nothing to do with race (i.e., reactions to a radio talk show discussing other subjects)?

So I posed to this question to my radio audience, and, sure enough, whites from around the country called in to say that they are afraid to differ with blacks lest they be labeled racist.

I could not imagine anything more detrimental toward abolishing racism and to enhancing black progress in America than such an attitude. But apparently it is the norm in American life to so fear being called a racist that individuals as well as institutions react to blacks as they would to children -- humoring them rather than taking them seriously.

This is another terrible legacy of the dominant liberal attitudes vis a vis America's blacks. For the liberal worlds of academia and media, as for the Democratic Party, blacks are not seen as individuals, the way members of virtually other minority and majority groups are. In the liberal mind, blacks are an oppressed group -- the ultimate oppressed group in America -- and there is little more about black Americans that one needs to know.

Therefore, in a mind-numbing non sequitur, blacks are not be judged, talked to, talked about or hired as other human beings are. I write "non sequitur" because even if one were to agree that blacks are an, or even the, oppressed minority, why would that obviate the need to judge, talk to, talk about or hire black human beings differently than anyone else? It would seem that anyone with equal respect for blacks would judge and talk to them just as they would all other people. But high schools and universities, newspapers and television, the Democratic Party and other liberal institutions have made it very difficult to do so.

Anyone who argues that standards should be identical for blacks -- in hiring and in college acceptance, for example -- is likely to be labeled a racist. And if the person making that argument is himself black, he becomes a member of the group liberals most hate, black conservatives -- "traitors" to fellow blacks.

This also explains why, if one differs with a black, one is not perceived as merely disagreeing with him, but as "dissing" him. That is what started the liberal hatred of former Harvard University President Lawrence Summers. After asking Harvard Professor Cornel West to engage in more scholarship and less rap music making and politicking (West was a major figure in the Al Sharpton campaign for president), Professor West announced that President Summers had shown him "disrespect." Even a Harvard president doesn't tell a black professor what to do.

After dismissing Cornel West's books as "almost completely worthless," the New Republic literary editor Leon Wieseltier was attacked in ways that made it clear that one should simply not attack a black professor's literary output as one would a white professor's.

Every time liberals force universities to lower standards for black applicants, and every time liberal activists force civil service exams to be rewritten so that more blacks can pass those exams, another person learns not to treat blacks and their ideas as he would anyone else's.

That is why most whites won't differ publicly with most blacks. And that is why liberals and Democrats will have to answer to history for the harm they have done to at least two generations of black Americans.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...re_blacks.html

Re: How Liberals Injure Blacks

Don't label me a racists...but I kinda of concur a little bit on this story. I'm not afraid to disagree with a black person on everything, but it has been my experience, especially in high school, that a lot of black people (especially young and uneducated) will label you a racist and say you disagree or don't like them because they're black, and that since I'm not, I couldn't possible understand. Sometimes it makes me not want to say anything at all, because why risk being called a racist on an issue that has nothing to do with race?

I also think that it is demeaning to a black person (who wants to be treated equal) to be given special privelleges because they are black. That is not equality.

But Grim, what does this have to do with democrats and republicans. It was always my understanding that democrats had more of the black vote?

This also explains why, if one differs with a black, one is not perceived as merely disagreeing with him, but as "dissing" him.
    This is a drastic generalization -- not all blacks feel this way.

And that is why liberals and Democrats will have to answer to history for the harm they have done to at least two generations of black Americans.
    I agreed with the overall jist of the article (I think a lot of white people are extremely cautious about what they say and do around blacks, no matter what the situation... however, I think the fault often lies in the ignorance of the white person rather than the sensitivity of the black), but did the guy have to end with such an overblown and largely irrelevant conclusion? It's like he completely shifts gears at the end of the piece.

It was less than fifty years ago when a black couldn't drink from the same water fountain as a white. We've come a long way since then -- and affirmative action has played a key role in that progress -- but there's still tension on both sides.

It is encouraging to note, however, that nowadays most of the tension is the byproduct of nerves and misunderstandings rather than hate.
    Last edited by yossarian; 07-11-2006 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    But Grim, what does this have to do with democrats and republicans. It was always my understanding that democrats had more of the black vote?
    The author clearly explains what it has to do with democrats and republicans. It's about exactly what you stated you were against. You said:

I also think that it is demeaning to a black person (who wants to be treated equal) to be given special privileges because they are black. That is not equality.
    That my friend is exactly what the democrats have been doing for the last 30+ years. They have promised and fought for entitlements (special privileges) for minority groups in the United States as a means to get their votes come election time. That is the reason that most blacks in America vote democrat.

That is also the reason that the number 1 most hated and feared person to democrats is a black conservative. A black conservative tells the black community just how demeaning and detrimental these entitlements actually are to them, and the democrats can't use their textbook "your a racist" defense when they say it. They explain to the black and minority communities in the U.S. the truth the democrats don't want them to hear. That these special privileges are what's holding them back and not allowing them to live as equals in the U.S.

It goes back to the old saying; "Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day... Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

Don't get me wrong, I feel that special privileges and entitlements were vital in the civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's, but I feel that they have gone way past the point of usefulness today, just as so many black conservatives are now saying.

Lets face it, when the minority communities in America finally figure out that the entitlements that democrats give them is the reason they can't get ahead, the democratic party is finished. The liberal left recognizes this too, that's why when prominent black republicans emerge (such as Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele), they go after them with both barrels in an effort to silence there message. They even use the very thing they are supposed to stand against... racism itself... to silence men like Michael Steele.

Take a look at recent events and observe how democrats use the "race card" at the drop of a hat, when race has nothing to do with an issue.

Cynthia McKinney - Hit a D.C. cop and called the police stopping her "Racism".
    http://bareknucklepolitics.com/?p=1117

Mayor Nagin - Blames racism, class bias for slow Katrina response.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...A_RESPONSE.asp

Rep. William Jefferson - Pulls out race card when caught accepting bribes
    http://www.webloggin.com/william-jef...aught-on-tape/

Rep. Mel Reynolds - Screamed racism when he was indicted, tried and convicted of sexual assault charges.
    http://www.imdiversity.com/Villages/...ferson0525.asp

D.C. Mayor Marion Barry - Screamed racism when he was indicted, tried and convicted on a drug charge.

Rep. Walter Tucker - Convicted of bribery charges loudly shouted racism.

Now I don't remember Colin Powell screaming "racism" when liberal democrats accused him of lying about the intelligence he sited to the U.N. back in 2003. That's because Colin Powell knows that race has nothing to do with the issue, just as we all know the examples above have nothing to do with racism either.

That my friend is exactly what the democrats have been doing for the last 30+ years.
    And a lot of minorities who would have otherwise spent their lives on the streets or working graveyard shifts in convenient stores have an education today because of it.

They have promised and fought for entitlements (special privileges) for minority groups in the United States as a means to get their votes come election time. That is the reason that most blacks in America vote democrat.
    ... and is there something wrong for voting for the person who wants to help you out? I agree with the assertion that affirmative action is not a perfect system and crosses the line at times; it definitely needs to be phased out when it is no longer needed.

But you make it sound like blacks have it easy in this country. They don't. Most are born into poverty, and I am proud to live in a country that takes some of my tax dollars (money I am able to earn largely as the result of a middle-class life I was born into) and helps out someone who was born into a life in which death commonly occurs before twenty-five.

And, like it or not, it's a direct result of the attitudes our white ancestors held towards them -- namely, that they were more like cattle than people.

Is slavery the fault of our generation? No, it’s not.

But I'm not about to sit by and let them rot just because I wasn't the one holding the whip.

democrats use the "race card" at the drop of a hat, when race has nothing to do with an issue.
    I agree. There is no question that the race card is repeatedly misused by the left. But they're politicians -- when it comes to political capital there is no right or wrong in their world, only votes... and that goes for republicans and democrats alike.

There is a balance that exists somewhere in between all this extremist nonsense, but neither side seems willing to budge an inch.
    Last edited by yossarian; 07-12-2006 at 12:48 AM.

I really don't know what to say Grim except that I wasn't aware how prejudice you are.

Lady Mod

hahaha...this guy must be getting desperate for things to right about. heeheehee.... trying to label race with politics. Good ol' Bush and the repugs sure didn't care about the blacks when they overlooked their votes in the past elections. Oh and hawz about the ol' hurricane Katrina??? oh yeah, shhhhh....don't bring that up. Time is supposed to heal everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanadian
    hahaha...this guy must be getting desperate for things to right about. heeheehee.... trying to label race with politics. Good ol' Bush and the repugs sure didn't care about the blacks when they overlooked their votes in the past elections. Oh and hawz about the ol' hurricane Katrina??? oh yeah, shhhhh....don't bring that up. Time is supposed to heal everything.
    And let's not forget what they want to do to Mexicans.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    And let's not forget what they want to do to Mexicans.

Lady Mod
    just give us the tequila...or else

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17

That my friend is exactly what the democrats have been doing for the last 30+ years. They have promised and fought for entitlements (special privileges) for minority groups in the United States as a means to get their votes come election time. That is the reason that most blacks in America vote democrat.

That is also the reason that the number 1 most hated and feared person to democrats is a black conservative. A black conservative tells the black community just how demeaning and detrimental these entitlements actually are to them, and the democrats can't use their textbook "your a racist" defense when they say it. They explain to the black and minority communities in the U.S. the truth the democrats don't want them to hear. That these special privileges are what's holding them back and not allowing them to live as equals in the U.S.

It goes back to the old saying; "Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day... Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

Don't get me wrong, I feel that special privileges and entitlements were vital in the civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's, but I feel that they have gone way past the point of usefulness today, just as so many black conservatives are now saying.
    I see where you're going there. I think that affirmitive action has had it's run. It did what it was intended to do and should be done away with unless it becomes necessary again. Giving someone special opportunities based on their race is not equality. We're not living in the 60s anymore. Give everybody an equal opportunity.

Blacks aren't the only ones living in poverty, and I would like that part of my tax money to help all who are poor, regardless of their color.

Although I don't see what the democrats have to do with some blacks playing the race card in everday life. I have a lot of respect for some of the black conservatives who speak up and get bad raps from their race because they preach TRUE equality instead of playing a sympothy card. There comes a time when you have to learn from the mistakes of the past, do what you can to correct them and then move on and that's what this country should do.

Is it fair to help one race that was discrimated against in the past at the expense of discrimating against other races? The answer is no!

I really don't know what to say Grim except that I wasn't aware how prejudice you are.

Lady Mod
    THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU...

I couldn't have scripted a better example of how the liberal left doesn't allow opposing the viewpoint held by a minority without using the race card. Now lady mod, if you could just give us an example of how those on the liberal left make statement that are racist, then show us how you all ignore them.

Wait... Nevermind... You all ready have. You have given us plenty of those every time you have given dchristie a pat on the back right after he has made one of his anti-Jew statements.

Cool, the circle is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    And a lot of minorities who would have otherwise spent their lives on the streets or working graveyard shifts in convenient stores have an education today because of it.
    I pointed that out in my comments. I said: "Don't get me wrong, I feel that special privileges and entitlements were vital in the civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's, but I feel that they have gone way past the point of usefulness today, just as so many black conservatives are now saying."

... and is there something wrong for voting for the person who wants to help you out?
    Not at all. But the point is that the democrats are now the ones responsible for keeping the minority groups down with their entitlements, and black conservatives like Michael Steele are slowly getting that message out to the black communities. That is, when they don't have liberal democrats throwing Oreo cookies at them while they are making public speeches.

I agree with the assertion that affirmative action is not a perfect system and crosses the line at times; it definitely needs to be phased out when it is no longer needed.
    Don't say that to a democrat! They will have you flogged, or tarred and feathered. That is their vote getting crutch they have dangled in front of the minorities in America for more than 30 years to get votes.

But you make it sound like blacks have it easy in this country.
    Where did you get that idea?

I am proud to live in a country that takes some of my tax dollars (money I am able to earn largely as the result of a middle-class life I was born into) and helps out someone who was born into a life in which death commonly occurs before twenty-five.
    It's not an issue of giving the money, it's an issue of what is being done with the money. Democrats want to give the minorities a hand out, where republicans want to give them a hand up. Democrats have been giving the minorities free food, free housing (or at least subsidized) free money and so on, which is a substitute for working, learning and providing for their families. Republicans want to see the majority of that money go for training programs and incentives so that more people can contribute to society, rather than live off of it. This goes for all people, not just minorities either.

It's not an issue of giving the money, it's an issue of what is being done with the money. Democrats want to give the minorities a hand out, where republicans want to give them a hand up. Democrats have been giving the minorities free food, free housing (or at least subsidized) free money and so on, which is a substitute for working, learning and providing for their families. Republicans want to see the majority of that money go for training programs and incentives so that more people can contribute to society, rather than live off of it. This goes for all people, not just minorities either.
    You sick bastards make me want to vomit. I see you spout off about Christianity, but you aren't very Christian at all. Did Jesus feed the multitude or did he get them to fill out job applications? He helped a thief who was dying on a cross, yet you repugs murder more and more criminals each year. Repugs want that "training money" to go to their corporations, not to the poor. They want that money for their war machine, not for peaceful purposes. Repugs want that money for repugs, period! There are more hypocrites and perverts in the repug party than fish in the sea.

THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU...

I couldn't have scripted a better example of how the liberal left doesn't allow opposing the viewpoint held by a minority without using the race card. Now lady mod, if you could just give us an example of how those on the liberal left make statement that are racist, then show us how you all ignore them.

You are a fine one to talk. You started a thread that is clearly against any kind of affirmative action for blacks and you tell me I'm pulling the race card?

How did I do that?

I merely said that I wasn't aware that you were so prejudice, and I wasn't. I doubt anyone other than yourself would see that as a "racist" remark.

Lady Mod

You are a fine one to talk. You started a thread that is clearly against any kind of affirmative action for blacks and you tell me I'm pulling the race card?

How did I do that?
    I didn't start this thread to voice against affirmative action. I also didn't say you pulled the race card either. I said that you called me prejudice in classic liberal form for having a view that opposed that held by most minorities. Opposition does not equal prejudice.

The way I see it. They, the democrats, have created a society of social degenerates. This is the meat of their party. They rely on government handouts, not the merit of ones work. The problem is they have become TOO cynical and dependant. They now feel helpless and that their vote doesn’t count, so they don't vote. If the democrats could get the turn out that republicans do, our taxes would be 100% and everybody would live off the government.

It is not a racist thing, but definitely a prejudice thing. The lines between those two words have been so skewed. Everybody is prejudice to a limit; by no means does it make you racist. I, for one, can not stand anyone who lives off these social programs for an extended time. I can not stand gang members, rappers, affirmative action or democrats. That does not make me racist. Saying the phrase “I loathe blacks” makes someone racist.

Public figures like that of Collin Powell, Michael Steele, and Condi Rice have started the fall of the democrats. God bless Powell, Steele, and Rice for they show us that anybody in the United States can succeed without handouts, if they TRY. Grim17 good job at fact basing your statements. UserName, educate yourself and write sensibly. Always remember “it is better to be thought an Idiot, than to open ones mouth and prove it.”