+ Reply to Thread

Secret Shoppers... fact or fiction???

Are there any 'legit' secret shopper programs out there? An article caught my eye earlier this week. Any input is appreciated.... Thank you, everyone

Re: Secret Shoppers... fact or fiction???

I do not know if 'legit' secret shopper programs exist. But secret shopper programs I get in email everyday are sure scam.

Sure, There are legitimate "secret shopper" companies out there. But like any company you want to get involved in, do your homework on them. I remember seeing a news story about these scams. They are VERY popular. But there are a few that are legit. I'd suggest running any company you might be thinking of getting involved with through the BBB at www.bbb.org

Good Luck.

Thank you for the advice.......... I must sound like a real novice! Oh well, that's why I come to the experts here.
    God bless

Depending on the places that they secret shop at to you can check with the manager and they might have a evaluation form form the company. I used to manage at a Boston Pizza and we'd get little summary reports from the SS company showing how well our restaraunt scored. Can't remember the name of the SS Company how however.

Depending on the places that they secret shop at to you can check with the manager and they might have a evaluation form form the company. I used to manage at a Boston Pizza and we'd get little summary reports from the SS company showing how well our restaraunt scored. Can't remember the name of the SS Company how however.

I have seen a "secret shopper" advert in the local news paper and when I answered to it it turns out that you have to drive around to shops far away to do secret shopping and they don't cover your travel expenses, so you end up working for nothing. :(

Most of the advertisements you see and hear on tv and radio are just like the survey places. They are trying to sell you a list. All of the mystery shopper information and companies are available for FREE. Don't pay for those lists. There is a free list of mystery shopping companies on my website which you can access through the link in my profile.
    Typically you will fill out an application and then the company will send you shops that are available in your area (after you have been approved and taken any necessary tests to qualify for shops). You can then accept those shops or not. In the beginning your shops will probably be low paying. Once you have established yourself as a good shopper you will start getting better paying assignments.

Secret shopping is legit. My GF has done this hundreds of times with many companies. Please realize that in many of the ads they are dangling a carrot in front of you.

Sure you could make $200 doing an undercover bank loan, but that $200 will cost you 20 hours of your time, plus gas money and wear on your vehicle.

She enjoys doing it because she loves to shop. Personally I wish she would not secret shop since the amount of time and resources she uses to get a monthly paycheck sometimes works out to $4 an hour. Once in a while it's more like $50 an hour. It is not easy and free though.

Many of the companies have their main offices in upstate NY. They do pay her reliably.

I would say with experience (over 1000 mystery shops performed) that most secret shopping companies are legit and a very few are scams. I looked into the BBB. Have a look at this forum too:

http://www.mysteryshop.org/shoppers/forum/
    Last edited by IslandRick; 09-02-2006 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samtheman
    I have seen a "secret shopper" advert in the local news paper and when I answered to it it turns out that you have to drive around to shops far away to do secret shopping and they don't cover your travel expenses, so you end up working for nothing. :(

This can be true. One thing I do not like about secret shopping is that you have to be proactive constantly in order to turn a profit. For instance, you'd need to schedule the secret shops to occur at stores that you intended to visit at that time anyway. It can get tricky to schedule since you are always competing, first come first serve, with other shoppers that want the same job. This is why my GF sometime makes only $4 an hour, and this is riding the bus to save on gas. She is "strong willed" about it though, to put it politely.

Yep, I remember those kind of ads. It was just too far from my place.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

I've done secret shopping in the past. The company I used to work for merged with another and gained a lot more "shop" listing, but you pick your jobs from your own locality, on the Internet after you pass the training in their back office for each company you want to shop for. YES they train you and they DO PAY YOU.

Here is the link they sent to me last month when I was considering doing it again.

http://www.serviceintelligence.com/

It's great for some pocket money. And it's fun to do.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

[QUOTE=sojustask]I've done secret shopping in the past. The company I used to work for merged with another and gained a lot more "shop" listing, but you pick your jobs from your own locality, on the Internet after you pass the training in their back office for each company you want to shop for. YES they train you and they DO PAY YOU.

Here is the link they sent to me last month when I was considering doing it again.

Can you make 5 to 10 grand a month? :D I bet it would be fun.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

[QUOTE=Unlucky36]
    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I've done secret shopping in the past. The company I used to work for merged with another and gained a lot more "shop" listing, but you pick your jobs from your own locality, on the Internet after you pass the training in their back office for each company you want to shop for. YES they train you and they DO PAY YOU.

Can you make 5 to 10 grand a month? :D I bet it would be fun.
    No. That would be rather fun if you could though huh? I used to make anywhere from $50 - $100.00 a month for a few hours of work. But it depends on what companies you shop for and what they pay. McDonalds paid well, and I only had to take a bite of that nasty food to evaluate it. My kids liked it when I did MacDonalds, lol. Two shops, one inside and one through the drive thru for each job, which meant mom brought home two meals those nights.

Lady Mod

There are. I have worked in retail and property management and at each job, we hired secret shoppers. You have to look very hard for the companies. Research and you will find some good ones.