+ Reply to Thread

Plato's The Apology

I suppose most people don't understand exactly what I mean in my title of "Socratic inquirer" so I thought some might be interested in knowing. For those who don't care, then maybe you would be interested in this anyway, because it is one of the more interesting pieces of philosophy ever written

http://plato.thefreelibrary.com/Apology/1-2

Platos The Apology. It is about the trial of socrates. It is a pretty short read (for a book :D) and if you have some free time or are bored, then I thoroughly recommend reading it. It is basically a great example of how you can systematically show someone, through logical arguments and factual evidence that they are wrong, and they still carry through on their conviction anyway...

An interesting bit
    Quote Originally Posted by socrates in Platos Apology
    I should like you, O men of Athens, to join me in examining what I conceive to be his inconsistency; and do you, Meletus, answer. And I must remind the audience of my request that they would not make a disturbance if I speak in my accustomed manner:

Did ever man, Meletus, believe in the existence of human things, and not of human beings?...I wish, men of Athens, that he would answer, and not be always trying to get up an interruption. Did ever any man believe in horsemanship, and not in horses? or in flute-playing, and not in flute- players? No, my friend; I will answer to you and to the court, as you refuse to answer for yourself. There is no man who ever did. But now please to answer the next question: Can a man believe in spiritual and divine agencies, and not in spirits or demigods?

He cannot.

How lucky I am to have extracted that answer, by the assistance of the court! But then you swear in the indictment that I teach and believe in divine or spiritual agencies (new or old, no matter for that); at any rate, I believe in spiritual agencies,--so you say and swear in the affidavit; and yet if I believe in divine beings, how can I help believing in spirits or demigods;--must I not? To be sure I must; and therefore I may assume that your silence gives consent. Now what are spirits or demigods? Are they not either gods or the sons of gods?

Certainly they are.

But this is what I call the facetious riddle invented by you: the demigods or spirits are gods, and you say first that I do not believe in gods, and then again that I do believe in gods; that is, if I believe in demigods. For if the demigods are the illegitimate sons of gods, whether by the nymphs or by any other mothers, of whom they are said to be the sons--what human being will ever believe that there are no gods if they are the sons of gods? You might as well affirm the existence of mules, and deny that of horses and asses. Such nonsense, Meletus, could only have been intended by you to make trial of me. You have put this into the indictment because you had nothing real of which to accuse me. But no one who has a particle of understanding will ever be convinced by you that the same men can believe in divine and superhuman things, and yet not believe that there are gods and demigods and heroes.
    Anyway, the charges against socrates are ridicules, the only reason they were made was because he had the nerve to question the upper class, the elite and their ways. He asked questions which showed these people didn't really understand what they were saying, and that made them resent him. Since they controlled athens, they had him done away with. His defence was great, but nonetheless, in the end, they sentenced him to death.

And that is how one of the greatest philosophers to man ever known died. Sentenced to death at the hands of the very people he was trying to help, because he made them realise that they didn't know everything....

Shane

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Re: Plato's The Apology

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    I suppose most people don't understand exactly what I mean in my title of "Socratic inquirer" so I thought some might be interested in knowing. For those who don't care, then maybe you would be interested in this anyway, because it is one of the more interesting pieces of philosophy ever written

http://plato.thefreelibrary.com/Apology/1-2

Platos The Apology. It is about the trial of socrates. It is a pretty short read (for a book :D) and if you have some free time or are bored, then I thoroughly recommend reading it. It is basically a great example of how you can systematically show someone, through logical arguments and factual evidence that they are wrong, and they still carry through on their conviction anyway...

An interesting bit

Anyway, the charges against socrates are ridicules, the only reason they were made was because he had the nerve to question the upper class, the elite and their ways. He asked questions which showed these people didn't really understand what they were saying, and that made them resent him. Since they controlled athens, they had him done away with. His defence was great, but nonetheless, in the end, they sentenced him to death.

And that is how one of the greatest philosophers to man ever known died. Sentenced to death at the hands of the very people he was trying to help, because he made them realise that they didn't know everything....

Shane
    It is ALL reagarding and referencing PERSONAL AGENDAS, as in how one
    is ORIENTED, INCLINED, SEEKS TO FUFILL FOR SELFISH PUEPOSES.
    Usually, others be damned!

By the way... I've heard that Hemlock poision is NOT such a bad death,
    method of Capital punishment. Just a 'little' bitter by itself... :rolleyes:

You may know of his 'crime'? The reason he was executed? For 'debauching
    youths of his time in his city." It is claimed he was a Homosexual...
    Interesting as homosexuality was rampant and openly practiced in those
    times - more than now. All of the atheltic meets and games wer primarily
    setups, arrangements for these folks to get together. All the more better
    in that they participated in contest in the nude with body oiled with
    Olive Oil. Some would additionally dust theirself with red clay powder
    to give this appearence to their body.

In any event, Agendas in focus, anyone with the necessary power that is
    out to get any one else can always convientely bring up appropriate
    charges to satisfy the establishment. Very much so, even today!
    Last edited by coontie; 07-10-2006 at 07:06 AM. Reason: add

Just more typical human behaviour huh?

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Just more typical human behaviour huh?
    'fraid so... but keep the faith; there are MORE good people "out there".
    One just has to look to find them. But the best method of verification
    is long term personal relationships; as in "eye-ball-to-eyeball", and patience, reasonable tolerance and time!

Rest assured, we all have our "quirks" that comes along with our individual
    character and personality, but most are harmless and this make us
    interesting!

"Yes Socrates Himself is particularly missed...
    ...A lovelylittlethinker, but a Bugger when he's pissed."
    Monty Python

"Reality Is What You Can Get Away With" Robert Anton Wilson

I love that song. Bruces Philosophers Song. Monty Python are without a doubt the most brilliant comedians society has ever seen imo.

I love that song. Bruces Philosophers Song. Monty Python are without a doubt the most brilliant comedians society has ever seen imo.
    funny thing.....i loved them in their time but now when i see them they mostly come across as INSANE!?does that mean I'M OK NOW!?hehe!!