+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ECPAT fraud?

ECPAT fraud?

Any of you heard of an organization called ECPAT International? Apparently they are based in Thailand. I used to live there myself and I've heard from relyable sources that ECPAT is under investigation. Apparently they made false reports to the donors and to the authorities also defrauding their employees and donors. I cannot believe that somebody dealing with a delicate issue such as protecting children from being sexually abused would rather put the money in their pockets.
    ECPAT Watchdog:zx11pissed:

Re: ECPAT fraud?

It is a cruel world out there. One persons misery is another ones opportunity!!
    Do your research!!!

Hi Innocents,

I have done my research with my contacts and it looks like those charity scamers at Ecpat will get what's coming to them for ripping off people. As they say "every dog get's his day".:rryumy:

I worked for Ecpat in Bangkok a few years ago. Back then the management were buying luxury condos and designer clothes left right and center. Also I remember talking to people in the admin department and they were saying that they didn't understand why some high rank staff were being paid more salary than stated in their contracts!! If I go back to Bangkok I'm gonna make it a job to go after these guys because your posting is confirming my suspicion. However if you look at statistics a lot of these charity groups are doing the same thing. I guess to make up for the low salaries. Still not the right thing to do. :

Welcome to the forum Wild Apache! :ylsuper: Not sure I know who u r but I got good news for u. I've been told that the authorities r already checking on them. The good news is that people lie but numbers on paper don't. :judges:

You are rite about most charities pocketing money. If they want to make money they should get a job in the real world instead of taking advantage of people's misery.

Good to know that ECPAT Bangkok will get what they deserve :judges:

Oh man, that sucks to read this! I'm trying to break into the NGO world, and ECPAT was one of the organisations I was really keen on. What are they doing? Has it been confirmed they were up to no good?

Really disheartening to see charities, especially those that work on behalf of children, get themselves into such a mess. It's enough to put you off from the whole social sector scene altogether!

Hello and welcome BuddingSocialite,

Do not let what's happening with ECPAT discourage u or put you off from working with NGO. A lot of NGO's and charities are doing a great job ( Red Cross is one of the best). Go for it! As far as You will seeECPAT is concerned. I've heard from relyable sources that ECPAT has been reported to authorities in Thailand . To report an organization you need to have evidence!:spin2:U will see that in the coming months they will get what they deserve for stealing:judges:

I guess no more luxury apartments and expensive designer gear for the well paid managers at ECPAT Bangkok!:1crysad:I wonder how they got away with the scam for soo long.Then again I remember when I was working @ ECPAT. The staff were afraid to ask for holiday.Also I remember staff asking for ECPAT tax id number to claim tax refunds and management refused to give it to them! Can you believe that !!! I hope the donors get their money back.
    :

I thought NGOs were all obligated by strict financial regulations and regularly audited by external agencies? How did people manage to get away with any sort of scam/fraud then? Was it just management or prevalent to all employees?

Sounds like you both had bad experiences at ECPAT. Is this just particular to ECPAT Bangkok or ECPAT globally? Will check out the Red Cross for sure.

Hi BuddingSocialite!
    Yes you are rite, NGOs do get audited by external agencies checking on behalf of the donors.
    However, the audits are limited to projects and my contact says that general audits looking at the whole organization are very rare.
    For example in Thailand, the Revenue Department has a self-assessment policy so you only get audited if a person reports you are doing something wrong.
    Considering the number of charities that commit fraud there must be ways around it.
    I think the people responsible in any case are the management or the ones that sign the checks.
    I only know about ECPAT Thailand, not sure about the other branches around the world.
    Yeah the Red Cross is definitely the way to go. I also had a friend who was a volunteer with them. :ylsuper:

We were working really hard :mfight:@ ECPAT when I was there. We had very little time to question anything! In addition to that ECPAT had a policy “on a needs to know basis”. Can you believe that! A charity organization enforcing needs to know basis. NGOs or C.I.A. ?... :bossman:ha ha ha. What do they have to hide with this need to know basis…. My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t be surprised if they ripped off donors or other people.
    Part of the reason why I left is because of their lack of respect for their employees. For example, I remember one time an employee had to resign to be able to travel to see her dying mother because they wouldn’t give her time off. Another was asked to change his wedding date so that he could attend an internal training weekend. Of course the guy didn’t last long at ECPAT. Based on these abusive ass..les behavior :one can expect anything to happen.

I really hope ECPAT is going to end up in every newspaper once they close them down.:shakin:

I should have had the balls to do something myself, but at the time I had a girlfriend and she wasn't working.
    I also remember personnel in admin talking about management:2gunsfiring_v1: getting "extras". Well, I don't know if they did, but I know they treated us like scum. :

Don’t worry WApache, ECPAT will get what they deserve and let’s hope that the people that were responsible in signing the checks end up in jail. In the future I hope that NGOs will be better regulated in order to prevent them from taking advantage of money from sponsors. Have a good day WApache!

Very interesting Wild Apache - seems like you're quite knowledgeable about the whole thing. Do you have any updates to share? I'm sure lots of people are quite interested in finding out. Have a nice day!

I guess someone just went awfully quiet :yelcutelaughA: