+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The High Cost of Insulting a Canadian Lesbian

They do not even realize what they don't have--kinda like our sad little friends defending the arrest of the Kung Fu Fightin' singer. This is why they DESERVE to lose it.

The High Cost of Insulting a Canadian Lesbian
    by Christian Bonk

June 10, 2011

Share Multiple Pages

On April 20th of this year, a group called the BCHRT (British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, a sort of maple-syrup-flavored version of a Stalinist show-trial committee) fined stand-up comedian Guy Earle $15,000 for offending a lesbian woman, Lorna Pardy, from the stage at an open-mike comedy night back in 2007. The owners of the club which hosted the offending performance were also fined $7,500.

Earle is alleged to have responded to some drunken heckling from Pardy and her Pard-ner with a series of aggressive and apparently homophobic insults. Depending on your taste, the counter-heckling was either: A) abusive and not very funny; or B) abusive and rather amusing, albeit in a none-too-sophisticated, frat-boy sort of way. In any event, it’s apparently now a legal matter in Canada to determine if jokes are amusing or not. And if that sounds to students of Eastern European history like something out of Kafka, Solzhenitsyn, or Kundera, it pretty much is.

“It’s apparently now a legal matter in Canada to determine if jokes are amusing or not.”
    If you have a month or two to spare, you can read the 107-page verdict online. In summary:

Earle has been ordered to pay Pardy $15,000 for injury to dignity, feelings, and self-respect.

Zesty and Ismail [club and owner, respectively] have been ordered to pay Pardy $7,500 for injury to dignity, feelings, and self respect.

Under this system the complainant needn’t pay the legal fees for their case, while the respondent pays out of their own pocket. Earle couldn’t afford to fly cross-country to attend his phony-baloney Vancouver show trial (he was living in Toronto) and rather sportingly offered to testify by videoconference. The court rejected his offer.

Being a Canadian citizen myself, I feel obliged to quickly explain to non-Canuck readers that the BCHRT is not actually a real court, lest you get the idea that Canada is some kind of Third World, police-state, Belarus-style shithole where people get arrested and sent to work the salt mines for making fun of the Great Leader’s mustache. Earle and his lawyer initially refused to even acknowledge the Tribunal’s legitimacy, and the British Columbia Supreme Court itself argued that the case should not proceed until it was determined that the BCHRT had jurisdiction over the matter. But proceed they did, and now, after four years of hearing evidence that Earle’s vulgar taunts about strap-on cocks amounted to “sexist and homophobic” insults which caused Pardy “emotional distress,” the Tribunal awarded her this generous handout.

Earle is hardly anybody’s idea of a redneck, homophobic bigot. If anything, he’s a self-described liberal who seems genuinely bewildered at the way those on his “side” have been so eager to throw him under the bus as punishment for what appears to be nothing more than drunken insult-slinging between a comic and an unruly audience. Granted, Earle’s putdowns were not at Don Rickles’s level of heckler-flattening sharpness. Many observers and even fellow comics were eager to dismiss Earle as not being worth the effort to defend because they didn’t find him funny. They argued that better comics would know how to handle obnoxious audience members without resorting to crude dick jokes. Perhaps they were thinking of subtler, gentler putdowns along the lines of George “Would somebody just put a dick in that guy’s mouth, please?” Carlin or Richard “I’ll slap you in the mouth with my dick” Pryor.

Human-rights commissions’ original purpose was to prevent real injustices (i.e., people being denied employment or housing because of their religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.), and this seems an entirely civilized and reasonable justification for their existence to most people. But somehow they’ve managed to metastasize into a Kafkaesque body, accountable to no one while policing the nation’s comedy clubs to ensure sensitive heckler-management techniques.

How did they become so grotesquely distorted from their original (and basically sane) purpose? One possibility is that, in our highly bureaucratized and wildly litigious society, there are increasingly melodramatic possibilities for self-pity opened up by an ever-expanding definition of “victimhood.” Pardy apparently claimed with a straight (no pun intended) face that she had suffered “post-traumatic stress” as a result of the incident, a phrase which I’d previously thought was normally reserved for shell-shocked war vets.

And then there’s the fact that Canadians don’t enjoy the same speech protections as our American counterparts.

That last one came as a surprise to me. Because of our historical ties to the soggy, soccer-hooligan-infested ex-empire known as Britain, it seems we have a somewhat less officially enshrined tradition of free speech than the Yanks. Having slept through most of my high-school history classes, I’d always assumed that Western democracies were on the same page about this sort of thing. Speaking on the differences in American and Canadian culture regarding free speech, Canadian writer Susan Cole once argued:

We don’t have a First Amendment, we don’t have a religion of free speech….[We] respect diversity, equity, all of the values that Canadians really care about. Those are the things that drive our political culture. Not freedoms, not rugged individualism, not free speech. It’s different, and for us, it works.

Notice the heavy dose of the plural pronouns “we” and “us” in the above fragment. One is sorely tempted to give Tonto’s classic stone-faced reply: “Who’s this ‘we,’ Kemo Sabe?” Ms. Cole has no more right to speak on all Canadians’ behalf than Avril Lavigne or Wayne Gretzky do, but she’s decided for us by proxy that “we” don’t really care about free speech—it’s only another goofy American export, like Jerry Springer and super-size Big Gulps. Her attitude is typical of Canada’s political/cultural elite.

Students of social history will someday look back with bewilderment and wonder how a civilized First World nation such as Canada could actually hold show trials that would be the envy of China or Iran and recalled nothing so much as Eastern European and Russian jokes from the mid-1900s. As an old Soviet favorite from the 1950s goes:

A judge walks out of his chambers laughing his head off. A colleague approaches him and asks why he is laughing.

“I just heard the funniest joke in the world!”

“Well, go ahead, tell me!” says the other judge.

“I can’t—I just gave a guy ten years for it!”

There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Re: The High Cost of Insulting a Canadian Lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    ...kinda like our sad little friends defending the arrest of the Kung Fu Fightin' singer.
    Lol. You're such a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Lol. You're such a liar.

You spent a ing week trying to 'explain' how that was a good thing.

--Thomas Jefferson

Oh gee look, another pwoo thread that has nothing to do with a political discussion.

You spent a ing week trying to 'explain' how that was a good thing.

Another lie, you're on a roll today.

Noone, left or right, thinks its a good thing to be arresting someone for singing a song. Do you see what I did there?

What happened was the police received a complaint, and investigated, which involved asking the guy to come in to the police station to give his side of it. Once there, I'm sure the police realised it was a waste of time, and he left, with no charges against him. He wasnt "arrested" in the sense you try to imply - grabbed or chased, locked up in cuffs, dragged to a police station in the back of a cop car.

He was interviewed, by appointment. I suspect he was "arrested" as in interviewed under caution.

I trust you'll stop spouting bullshit about the incident now. NOONE thought it was a "good thing", it was a waste of time.
    Last edited by thistle; 06-13-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Noone, left or right, thinks its a good thing to be arresting someone for singing a song. Do you see what I did there?

What happened was the police received a complaint, and investigated, which involved asking the guy to come in to the police station to give his side of it. Once there, I'm sure the police realised it was a waste of time, and he left, with no charges against him. He wasnt "arrested" in the sense you try to imply - grabbed or chased, locked up in cuffs, dragged to a police station in the back of a cop car.

He was interviewed, by appointment. I suspect he was "arrested" as in interviewed under caution.

I trust you'll stop spouting bullshit about the incident now. NOONE thought it was a "good thing", it was a waste of time.
    No, he won't, he'll continue to dwell in his own little head and ignore abject reality.

Why do you LIE like this?

You are saying, right here, and now, that it is cool (with you) to arrest people for singing in a bar. Period. Asshole. That is what happened.

Instead of saying, like most folks on the planet, that, yes, this is a sign that P.C. has run amok, you will go to the WALL to defend it.

Just like investigating the story in this thread as a crime is an abomination. so is the example from the defeated-completely-by-P.C. U.K.

Just because you don't understand it, or don't mind--or something-- doesn't mean it is not an ing liberal abomination.

Stop acting like you are this stupid--no one is. The previous thread lasted hundreds (seemingly) of posts simply because you won't say what we all know to be true--P.C. is an abomination and is out of control--especially in the U.K.

Want more? Okay.

Last edited by pwrone; 06-13-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    --Thomas Jefferson

You are saying, right here, and now, that it is cool (with you) to arrest people for singing in a bar. Period. Asshole. That is what happened.
    No that's not what happend. We proved that. It's not our fault that you can't read past a sensationalistic headline and a copied and pasted article.

Instead of saying, like most folks on the planet, that, yes, this is a sign that P.C. has run amok, you will go to the WALL to defend it.

Just like investigating the story in this thread as a crime is an abomination. so is the example from the defeated-completely-by-P.C. U.K.

Just because you don't understand it, or don't mind--or something-- doesn't mean it is not an ing liberal abomination.

Stop acting like you are this stupid--no one is. The previous thread lasted hundreds (seemingly) of posts simply because you won't say what we all know to be true--P.C. is an abomination and is out of control--especially in the U.K.

Want more? Okay.
    Um Pwron i'm going to say this very ing clearly for you

Just because you focus on the the who and what religion the person was does not mean anyone else does. The fact remains that you were NEVER able to state why the religion mattered.

You were never able to explain why all "youths" were in fact roiting muslims. It's ing stupid.

Or for that matter how every article that doesn't metion the race is actually talking about blacks. (of course they don't mention that whites were caught either because they must be blacks too).

I'm sorry that your such a bigot but the rest of us don't walk around in our daily lives saying. Black, black, evil muslim. We call them, tom harry and joe. People have names I'm sorry that you only care about there race and religion. No i'm not calling you a racist. I'm saying your priorities in life are screwed up.

Don't mistake PCness with for not ing giving a damn. The rest of the world gets around just fine by not caring.
    Last edited by Spector567; 06-13-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    No that's not what happend. We proved that. It's not our fault that you can't read past a sensationalistic headline and a copied and pasted article.

Um Pwron i'm going to say this very ing clearly for you

Just because you focus on the the who and what religion the person was does not mean anyone else does. The fact remains that you were NEVER able to state why the religion mattered.

You were never able to explain why all "youths" were in fact roiting muslims. It's ing stupid.

I'm sorry that your such a bigot but the rest of us don't walk around in our daily lives saying. Black, black, evil muslim. We call them, tom harry and joe. People have names I'm sorry that you only care about there race and religion.

Don't mistake PCness with not ing giving a damn.

[/QUOTE]

Hilarious. You have no idea what you are talking about. At all.

Your blather is not related at all to either of the two thread topics.

But thanks for weighing in!

--Thomas Jefferson

Neither was your response in the first place. So deal with it.

I'm also not surprised that you don't get it.

As I said the concept of simply not caring about race or religion is beyond you. And don't say this thread isn't about that. You started it on that topic in your first line.
    Last edited by Spector567; 06-13-2011 at 05:19 PM.

someone explain how you lose what you dont know you have!? deservedly of course!? ironically, i just saw a religious ad for a new book, regaining everything you lost!? so in review it goes something like this, you lost what you didnt know you had, but it can be regained!? i'm slightly tempted to say, what's the point!? maybe it got LOST IN TRANSLATION some where!? :cwm2: : :spin2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

anything we can do yo make you laugh, is it's own reward, no need for praises and thank yooz!? and on a practical note, maybe you should just TURN YOURSELF IN NOW!? why wait!? after all, the only way OUT, is IN!?:cwm2: : :judges: :
    Last edited by lexx; 06-14-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

You are saying, right here, and now, that it is cool (with you) to arrest people for singing in a bar. Period.
    Really? Did I?

Quote Originally Posted by thistle
    Noone, left or right, thinks its a good thing to be arresting someone for singing a song.
    NOONE thought it was a "good thing", it was a waste of time.
    Can you read? As another idiot might say.

Really? Did I?

Can you read? As another idiot might say.

Asshole--you can't post, repeatedly, relentlessly, that it was no big deal and then erase all of that with a single declarative sentence.

The question is rather simple, really--not surprising that it so easily defeats you and spector as it requires only basic honesty.

It goes something like this:

In a free society, should people be subject to arrest or sanction for their words? Should 'giving offense' be a crime?

The difference between the nations can go directly to the old koran-burning question.

I live in a nation where it is legal to offend.

You DO NOT. Spector DOES NOT.

Now tell me you still don't get it.

Since you now have laws against giving offense, where might these laws naturally progress...?

It all leads down the same road.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    Neither was your response in the first place. So deal with it.

I'm also not surprised that you don't get it.

As I said the concept of simply not caring about race or religion is beyond you. And don't say this thread isn't about that. You started it on that topic in your first line.

Um...you are still gibbering.

There is nothing about race or religion here. Move on.

This is about liberals and how they diminish all they touch. This is about the imposition of P.C.

Take a nap.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    love it PW...

trying to make a moutain out of a mole hill...

and then when failing still pointing to the non existent mountain...

2 funny thread...

all too typical though...

Huh?

So, in your opinion, stand-up comics should be subject to financial sanctions for responding to hecklers in an impolite manner.

Do tell.

--Thomas Jefferson