+ Reply to Thread

FBI Busts 'Real Deal' Terror Plot Aimed At NYC-NJ Underground Transit Link

FBI Busts 'Real Deal' Terror Plot Aimed At NYC-NJ Underground Transit Link
    Friday, July 07, 2006

WASHINGTON — FBI agents monitoring Internet chat rooms smashed an Al Qaeda terrorist plot to attack New York City's underground transit link with New Jersey, law enforcement officials said Friday.

The attack would have been carried out as early as the fall of this year.

"We're here today to discuss what we believe is the real deal," Mark Mershon, former assistant FBI director in New York, said during a press conference Friday. "We believe we intercepted this group early in their plotting and in fact, the plan has largely been disrupted."

The main target of the plot was the heavily traveled underground PATH train system that connects lower Manhattan and New Jersey's suburban communities, officials confirmed. The system carries more than 215,000 commuters daily. Mershon said the plot was supposed to be executed in October or November, but that it still was in the "planning stages."

The person who leaked the investigation is "clearly someone who doesn't understand the fragility of international relations," Mershon said.

"The release makes the investigation more difficult for us; it has greatly complicated what otherwise would be a very smooth relationship, a very smooth partnership, with a number of overseas allied agencies," Mershon added.

Republican Congressman Peter King of New York, chair of the House Homeland Security Committee, added, "It would have been better if this had not been disclosed."

"For most of the year, we have been focusing on a group of Al Qaeda followers who have targeted the Hudson River tubes," Mershon said.

Mershon confirmed that one suspect, Assem Hammoud, is in custody in Lebanon and facing criminal charges.

Mershon said two other suspects are in custody, but he would not elaborate on their locations.

"The principal players are not in this country," he said, adding that the investigation has been ongoing for a year.

Lebanese authorities, working with U.S. law enforcement agencies, last month arrested Hammoud, a Beirut native and known Al Qaeda operative who admitted to plotting a terror attack in New York City, a senior Lebanese security official said Friday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

"Hammoud is a member of Al Qaeda and he confessed to this (plot) information frankly and without coercion," the Lebanese security official said.

Lebanese officials confirmed in a statement that Hammoud confessed that the plot was to be carried out in October or November of this year.

The plot was intended to bring explosives into New York City and attack several of the city's vital transportation networks, possibly by flooding the Wall Street Financial District, one official said before the press conference.

Officials downplayed the danger, saying that the Financial District is well above sea level.

While the planning was not far along, one U.S. official said, authorities "take aspirations of that sort seriously."

"At this time, we have no indication of any imminent threat to the New York transportation system or anywhere else in the United States," Richard Kolko, Washington-based FBI special agent, said in a statement early Friday.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, speaking Friday at U.S. Coast Guard Change of Command Ceremonies, said authorities focused efforts on "where the risk is the greatest, mass transit systems that have a significant amount of track mileage underground — and under the water."

"We cannot guarantee perfect security, but we are going to do everything in our power to minimize the risk and reduce the threat from terrorism to all those who ride our trains, travel our highways," Chertoff said.

Mershon and other officials would not go into details of the plot, but did confirm that the PATH system was the likely target, downplaying the Daily News report that the Holland Tunnel was targeted.

"We have had a number of threats over the months and years, frankly, that would target all of the conveyances across the river," he added.

"We certainly share concerns with the Port Authority police about the transportation facilities in Lower Manhattan," said New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who added that additional police resources had been deployed to Lower Manhattan in the past few weeks.

"New York still remains in the crosshairs of the terrorists," Kelly said.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg added: "This is one more reminder that in today's world, our safety can be menaced from any corner of the globe."

"This is one instance where intelligence was on top of its game and discovered the plot when it was just in the talking phase," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.

King said that federal law enforcement and New York police have been monitoring a plot to attack New York's mass transit system for at least eight months.

"There was nothing imminent, but it was being monitored for long period time," said King, who said he has received regular intelligence briefings on the alleged plot. King said he had been unable to publicly disclose the plot because to do so would risk the investigation.

"This is ongoing, that's why I've said nothing about it until now," King said. "It would have been better if this had not been disclosed."

Lebanon's government was asked by the United States to hold off announcing the arrest of Andalousli while operations to disrupt the plot were continuing, the Daily News reported quoting sources.

The U.S. Embassy in Beirut would not comment, but a spokesperson said both Lebanon and the United States are developing solid cooperation in the areas of law enforcement and counterterrorism.

"Preventing terrorist attacks is in the interest of both of our countries," the embassy official said.

The most recent terror arrest in the United States came last month, when seven men were arrested and charged with conspiring to blow up the landmark Sears Tower in Chicago and FBI buildings in Miami and four other cities as part of a pledge to Al Qaeda to wage war against the United States. Officials said the plot never went beyond the earliest stages.

Need for More Homeland Security Funds

Lawmakers and others said the reports of the plot highlight a major need for metropolitan areas such as New York to get a bigger portion of security funds handed out by the Department of Homeland Security.

"More than anything else, if true, these news reports offer incontrovertible proof that the federal government's homeland security strategy is flawed in its rhetoric and in its application. Let me be clear: Americans who face the greatest risk should receive the greatest amount of funding," said Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J. "How anyone, at any level of government, could argue otherwise is beyond me and shows a flagrant disregard for the realities of protecting our homeland."

He continued: "For too long, the federal government has distributed security grants in a manner that seems to be based merely on whim. It certainly is not based on risk. It defies common sense that a would-be terrorist in Beirut with an Internet connection recognizes that the New York region is rife with significant landmarks, yet Homeland Security Secretary [Michael] Chertoff doesn't."

"We just need to do more. We need to give cities like New York the money they need to get things done," Gavin said.

"These are plots still aimed at tunnels, bridges whatever," added counter-terrorism analyst Steve Emerson. "The jihadists, no matter where they are located — and this includes homegrown cells — are still going to be looking to the Northeastern corridor to make an impact

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202518,00.html
    Last edited by franKg; 07-07-2006 at 10:47 PM.
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Re: FBI Busts 'Real Deal' Terror Plot Aimed At NYC-NJ Underground Transit Link

I saw that today on CNN at the Nuerologists office when I took my husband in for a consultation (he recently suffered a stroke). Pretty amazing huh?

Lady Mod

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I saw that today on CNN at the Nuerologists office when I took my husband in for a consultation (he recently suffered a stroke). Pretty amazing huh?

Lady Mod

Pretty amazing that anybody still buys into these tiresome cliché little soap operas brought to us by The Bush Crime Gang. Funny thing: Every time the BushCo criminal's staggering incompetence is in the spotlight, all of a sudden we have yet another "terrist" attack foiled. Ha..ha..ha.. Who's writing the scripts for this crap? It must be the one who writes The Flying Monkey's incoherent and somnambulant speeches.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    Pretty amazing that anybody still buys into these tiresome cliché little soap operas brought to us by The Bush Crime Gang. Funny thing: Every time the BushCo criminal's staggering incompetence is in the spotlight, all of a sudden we have yet another "terrist" attack foiled. Ha..ha..ha.. Who's writing the scripts for this crap? It must be the one who writes The Flying Monkey's incoherent and somnambulant speeches.
    LOL, the timing was superb in light of recent panic over Korea's missle launches.

LM

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    LOL, the timing was superb in light of recent panic over Korea's missle launches.

LM

US authorities have disrupted a plot by "foreign terrorists" to flood Manhattan, it was claimed today.

Someone didn't get the memo from Karl.
    The media is supposed to print bullsh1t as fact.
    They're not supposed to use words like, "claimed."

FBI agents monitoring chatrooms used by extremists???...

Oh, please!
    What's the name of this chat room, #extremists at terrortalk.net?
    Can't we get REAL news from ANYBODY these days?

...apparently uncovered planning to destroy vital transport networks in New York City.

How is some loony tune in Lebanon going to attack Manhattan?

LOL...I bet these guys are related to that group of homeless people in Miami.

"At this time, we have no indication of any imminent threat to the New York
    transportation system or anywhere else in the United States," the FBI said in a statement.

Whoops - looks like the FBI didn't get the memo either.
    Last edited by dchristie; 07-08-2006 at 03:32 AM.

So I guess we can assume , by your response , that you are disappointed the the FBI thwarted a terrorist attack

Dchristie , do you secretly wish for a successful terrrorist attack against our country,seriously dude ,its ok to hate Bush but, that just aint right
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    So I guess we can assume , by your response , that you are disappointed the the FBI thwarted a terrorist attack

Dchristie , do you secretly wish for a successful terrrorist attack against our country,seriously dude ,its ok to hate Bush but, that just aint right
    I've already seen terrorism up close and personal, chum. My apartment is three blocks from ground zero. Where were you when it happened?

One difference between us is that I don't choose to live my life in a perpetual state of terror, no matter what The Bush Crime Gang's propaganda machinery decides to spontaneously pump out over the boob tube for mass consumption.I don't choose to quiver and crumble under a siege of intellectual terrorism.
    Last edited by dchristie; 07-08-2006 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by franKg

Another part of the 'real deal' you never mention here frank.
    65% of New Yorkers and almost 50% of the citizens of the State call the WTC 'terrist attack' controlled demolition.

One difference between us is that I don't choose to live my life in a perpetual state of terror, no matter what The Bush Crime Gang's propaganda machinery decides to spontaneously pump out over the boob tube for mass consumption.I don't choose to quiver and crumble under a siege of intellectual terrorism.
    This strategy of threatening us that we'll all die unless we concede some constitutional rights has been working wonderfully for the Administration. But it can't last forever. Fear wears off. We're left with the reality that our government is continuing to write itself blank checks to intrude on our rights, wage undeclared war, and undermine democracy. Unfortunately, the Administration's case was helped considerably by this being "leaked".

flipus is offline Bronze Scams Member User Rank

This story is still fresh, but I wonder how long it will take the republicans to link it to the NSA spying program, or the swift program, or the torture of detainees in our various prisons around the world. I cant wait. :( . I wonder exactly how many freedoms America will give up before they realize that it was all for nothing. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by flipus
    This story is still fresh, but I wonder how long it will take the republicans to link it to the NSA spying program, or the swift program, or the torture of detainees in our various prisons around the world. I cant wait. :( . I wonder exactly how many freedoms America will give up before they realize that it was all for nothing. :mad:

It's grotesque. Karl Rove is playing the media like a cheap violin. Meanwhile The Flying Monkey fiddles while Rome burns. The barbarians are swarming over the border and they're up in arms over flag burning and gays hooking up. What an ignominious demise and sad finale for the "Grand Experiment". In the end, it had to be the domestic enemies of The Constitution which proved the far greater and most pernicious menace.
    Last edited by dchristie; 07-08-2006 at 06:06 AM.

flipus is offline Bronze Scams Member User Rank

No one wants to see another successfull terrorist attack, especially anyone who lives anywhere near to NYC, like Dchristie. Or me to some extent, I live 15-20 min from the city. I cant imagine what its like to actually live in NYC at that time in history. Its bad enough I kept staring up at the sky every time a jet liner flew over head for months after 9/11. To suggest anyone wants to see a successfull terrorist attack is dispicable. On the other hand, we dont want to be held hostage by some fear mongering administration that will use something like this to advance their political goals. Just like they did after 9/11.