Poll: Have you been scammed on ebay

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Scams

eBAY Scam

Where's my parcel? It's on eBay!

eBay, the on-line auction site has been in the news a lot recently. It seems that the company is doing well. But many recent news items have had nothing to do with business issues, covering instead the activities of numerous scammers and criminals who have profited from the site.

The most recent case is a German postal worker, who decided not to deliver parcels, but to take their contents and auction them on eBay. The German post office realized that packages on the 37 year old's delivery route often went missing. However, they were unable to prove anything until a local musician claimed that a clarinet mouthpiece he had ordered had not arrived. He noticed that a mouthpiece identical to the one ordered was being offered on eBay, and bought it, informing the police at the same time. The person offering the mouthpiece for sale turned out to be the postal worker. When his flat was searched the police discovered a mound of parcels which had not been delivered. The man admitted to auctioning packages, and it is estimated that he sold goods worth $23,700.

This is the latest in a string of reports on auction items which range from the profitable to the bizarre. In separate cases, two American men, John Jacob Bornick and Gregory Klimeck, advertised non-existent goods on the site, netting approximately $22,800 and $4,500 respectively. Other, stranger lots for sale have included a German couple's 8 year old daughter, offered by the couple themselves as 'a joke', the staff of ZdNet's Tech Update, and three Vietnamese women who were offered for sale by a Taiwanese eBay user.

source: http://www.viruslist.com

Re: eBAY Scam

Haha!

I use EBay a lot(I source many business wholesale & computer stuff there). I must say its quite funny sometimes to see the thngs that are offeres. I once heard of a man selling a retired F16(fighter jet). I was monitoring the auction one day and noticed it jump from $4 million to $90 million. Funny thing is, they are worth $18 million new, and theyre old now. I noticed however soon after that the bid retractions were coming as fast as the bids themselves! Nice one!

I found this ad on jobvertise for a PayPal Agent from this guy Tom Jackson. Thinking that PayPal was safe, I decided to work with this man. Everything was fine and the first "customer" sent $1,100.00 to my PayPal account. I was instructed to send a bank wire transfer for the proper amount ($902.80 plus fee) to a bank in Latvia. Everything was fine and when completed I send the info to Tom Jackson so that he could authorize shipment of this guitar that was purchased as I was receiving emails from the "customer" asking what the tracking number was for the shipment. I was told by Tom that he was to deal with the "customer" and would advise him of the tracking number. I was still in contact with Tom for a couple of weeks, then I didn't hear from him. Thirty-seven days after this payment was made, the "customer" claimed that he never received his purchase and wanted his money back from me through PayPal.

I have given all the details to PayPal as to the transaction and the contact person (Tom) that I can't seem to get a response from. I have also spoken with this "customer" and to tell you the truth, I think he is in on it too. I am furious with PayPal their claim policy clearly states that complaints MUST BE FILED NO LATER THAN 30 DAYS. When I cited this to PayPal, they just keep sending me the same emails, not even responding to my questions or concerns. I have told them that I am a victim of fraud here and they still have taken the funds from my account and this left me with a negative balance and a freeze on my account.

I had three complaints in a matter of days that were filed against me and PayPal does not stand behind the account holder. I am preparing all documentation to present to the proper authorities and I will no longer use or recommend PayPal to anyone as they claim to VERIFY all transactions and that they PROTECT the seller. They do not have a toll free number and everytime that I have called them, I am put on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes.

Am I the only one that is having problems with PayPal?

I have copied and pasted the ad below.

sharosa

PayPal Agent - (US-all)

Min Education: Tech School
    Job Type: Full Time
    Email this job to a friend

Honest Workers Needed!!!
    Are you blessed with a new child yet unable to attend work? Are you a college student with odd class schedules impairing regular work time?
    Well you're in luck!!!
    Our company sells a lot of different guitars of the major worldwide known brands. We have many stores all over the world. Our main department is in the Great Britan. And there is a small department in NY. Also we've started to sell our production at online auctions in the USA and Canada. PayPal is the most preferred payment method. So we are looking for honest and communicative people to receive our money to their PayPal account (Bank account must be added to your PayPal account), withdraw the money to their bank account, and transfer the money to our bank account through the BANK WIRE TRANSFER!!
    You'll ask why don't we create our own PayPal account. The answer is: all of our deals we realize only through the bank wire transfer and if we start to use PayPal a big difficulty will appear in our statistics. So we need a PayPal agent. This is a business requiring only limited amounts of your time.
    At first we offer $150 per transaction, but we have bonuses for good agents.
    It is about 10-15 transactions per week.
    So act now for this great intuitive job offer.
    Please send your PayPal E-mail address to start to work immediately.

Tom Jackson
    G.F. Guitars
    , NY

Apply Online

Artemist Guest

Please do not forget that ebay now own Paypal. Any transaction on ebay is legally liable to PayPal. Therefore, anyone making a claim for goods sold on ebay through a PayPal transaction, must legally make a claim on ebay, not on you.
    Latvia has become the biggest scammers on the internet now. All the scams originating there actually are from the USA. Beware what you do.

Dell PC Scam on Ebay

Highlighted Listings

eBay API Price Bids Time Left
    New Dell Dimension XPS Gen4 3.6G 2001FP MCE + TV Tuner --> [link] $524.00 - Ended
    Please contact me at: [email protected] if you are interested in purchasing this unit for 1499 usd . I now use mobile internet and I can easily answer, in a couple of minutes only if you contact me at: [email protected] . DREAM MACHINE NEW Dell Dimension XPS with Windows Media Center Edition, and Dual TV tuner with Remote control (Brand New, NOT REFURBISHED, Never used, Still in Factory Seal) System Hi - Lights : Processor Pentium® 4 Processor 560 with HT Technology (3.60GHz, 800 FSB) This is the highest current chipset, with 1 MB of L2 Cache Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with Dual TV Tuner. This operating system has all of the features of Windows Professional, but added Multi-meda features. With the dual TV Tuner you can record live tv on your computer, and copy it onto a DVD for your archives. This is better than TIVO for many reason, 1 There are no fees. 2 The quality doesn't change 3. It is easier to edit. Hard Drive 2 X 250 GB Raid 0 = 500 GB (Stripe) Video Card 256MB PCI Expressâ???¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ???¢ X850 XT PE This is the newest video card, and an upgrade from the X800. This video card is the platinum edition, and as for now exclusive to dell. It has the highest on board memory, and controller speed in the market. Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigyâ???¢ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability Monitor 20.1 in 2001FP Dell Ultrasharpâ???¢ Digital Flat Panel Display (12ms response time,1680X1050 resolution, Dell's newest model, MSRP$649.99 alone) Warranty This is the best part of the deal this system includes 4 years of at home service, including nights and weekends. Since you are purchasing an XPS you have specialized support which will keep you from having to deal with technicians from India. The best part of this deal is the Complete care. What this means that if anything happens to your system that is not reparable within 4 years Dell will replace your system for free! Thats right until the January 2009 Dell will replace your system with a comparable 4500 dollar system wither its a generation 5-9. This warranty gaurantees that you will have a system for four years unless it...

this guy also has an email [email protected]

Luckily I didn't send the money via Western Union to Romania, but perhaps others have.
    I notified Ebay, the FBI fraud unit and aol....
    So far, no response from Ebay though!!
    :D I have told him today though, that I sent the money and gave him a fake MTCN....

Warning Fake Ebay Email!

I got this email today...

"Dear valued customer Need Help?

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't re-update your account information. To resolve this problems please click here and re-enter your account information. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay.

Regards,Safeharbor Department eBay, Inc
    The eBay team.
    This is an automatic message. Please do not reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcements | Register | Safe Trading Tips | Policies | Feedback Forum | About eBay

Copyright © 1995-2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy."

When you click on the link it takes you to a fake copied ebay site that I reported to ebay and the FBI this afternoon, but the site tries to mask the URL in your address bar; Luckily this does not happen with Firefox!

I hate to think that people are falling for this.

7. 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM

eBay Mysterys

These eBay mystery boxes and envelopes:::has anyone really gotten anything worth something??? Or is this a total scam for somebody to make money (on the other end, of course).

If you don't know, go to www.ebay.com
    click on "Buy"
    go down to "Everything Else"
    go to "Weird Stuff" on the right

They're everywhere...mystery box, mystery envelopes, even a mystery DIAPER???????????????

Heck, just search for "mystery box" on eBay's homepage

Re: eBay Mysterys

Three days and no comments!?!? Go to ebay.com and simply search for "Mystery Diaper". Certainly someone has a comment or two...

eBay Scam?

Hi all, I am selling an item on eBay in the UK and I received this Email from a 'Henry Jackson'

"Hello seller, I will like to make some enquries about this item...because i have been looking for this kind of item that will be packed..and will be exactly composed like this.I want to buy it ..and will like to pay you in cash via Money Order...But i will like you to ship this item as soon as you have recieve a confirmation e-mail from Western Union that the money order has been confirmed and approved . I AM READY TO PAY YOU extra GBP 150.00 to addup with reserve bid...to end this auction early for me....because I need it very urgent..And because i have sent the info,s of this item to my customers...and i have had enough of good offers from them..so i won't like miss the offers from them nor will i like to loose any of my customer...So send me your full name and address for the payment...and the total cost including shipping cost via royalmail.Thanks"

It doesn't actually mention what I'm selling by name, it is just referred to as 'the item' and the whole thing seems to be just a cut and pasted email. What do you guys reckon?
    Thanks,
    Al.

Re: eBay Scam?

ignore his emails. The giveaway is paying the extra money to lure you. Scam written all over it.

I would not sell anything to anybody on Ebay unless they had some feedback say 10 or more positive feedbacks. yes, scammers can build up fake feedback, so the more feedback the better the buyer has.

If you search around on this board, you will see many who have already been taken by this. Do not be one of them!

Re: eBay Scam?

Thanks, I'll ignore the loser! :)
    Cheers.
    Al.

Bose speaker systems listed on Ebay

There have been many bose systems being offered with a buy now price of 25% of the retail value of the system. The catch is the seller who has a excellent rating from ebay want to use western union outside of ebay and says they will ship the system via UPS 2nd day air. Is there any safe way to do this transaction or do you think its a scam?

Re: Bose speaker systems listed on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Felixtax
    There have been many bose systems being offered with a buy now price of 25% of the retail value of the system. The catch is the seller who has a excellent rating from ebay want to use western union outside of ebay and says they will ship the system via UPS 2nd day air. Is there any safe way to do this transaction or do you think its a scam?
    I would never agree to do any transaction with the seller outside of Ebay. Ebay has built in buyer-protection rules so if you complete the whole transaction with Ebay then if the seller scams you anyways, there are ways to go about catching the seller. But the minute you do business outside the protection of Ebay then you are risking getting ripped off and not being able to enforce it.

So I would say pass on this unless you have enough evidence to suggest you will be safe buying from this seller. Buyer beware!

DanP Guest

Ebay pretender scams

I got the following email this morning and I dont even have an eBay account:

***Urgent Safeharbor Department Notice***

eBay Fraud Mediation Request
    Date: July 2005

You have recieved this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

THE FRAUD ALERT ID CODE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE WILL BE ATTACHED IN OUR FRAUD MEDIATION REQUEST FORM, IN ORDER TO VERIFY YOUR EBAY ACCOUNT REGISTRATION INFORMATIONS.

Fraud Alert ID CODE: 00937614
    (Please save this Fraud Alert ID Code for your reference.)

To help speed up this process, please access the following form to complete the verification of your eBay account registration informations:

http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_idÂÂ*=ebay &fraud alert id code=00937614

Please Note:
    If we do not receive the appropriate eBay account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this eBay account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
    The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.

We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Spoof eBay Emails

Hi,
    The spoof Ebay emails seem to be doing the rounds again, this one came in to my workplace email, it is a very good site login rip, and it asks for username and password. (and when clicked it tries to install language packs.)
    I tried to cut and paste the site page but it seemed to be a huge hotlink to the site , I managed to get the URL.
    I have reported this to Ebay and they confirmed it is a spoof.
    Quite soon after 'viewing' the email my computer locked up...strange as we have very good antivirus and firewall.
    This is the email content.

Email Header:
    eBay Inc [[email protected]] URGENT SECURITY NOTIFICATION
    Email Body:
    THIS IS THE URL - DO NOT CLICK IT !!!!!
    http://211.62.125.100/.../e3b/

Regards.
    Stevieb

Scammed on EBay

I bought a recorder on EBay from a guy for 2200. and his communication was great up until payment. At the time of auction he had the Square Trade seal and only 6 feedbacks that were positive, one being for the same type unit I bought. He had said he would ship as soon as he received payment.After he received payment, he said he could not ship until friday. I bought the unit Monday AM. After Thursday,his communication stopped. I finally got his number through EBay and as soon as I introduced myself , He hung up. E Mails were then sent back to me saying the email account had been suspended. Square Trade was then "suspended temporarly" and in rechecking his feedback from the unit he sold like mine, I have not even been able to find it in "completed listings" section though it was only a month ago. Somehow he seemed to get feedback for something that was not sold I guess.(The buyer of that 2000. unit only had 3 feedbacks, nothing more than 5.00) I should have checked all this closer before I bought, but the SquareTrade thing and his communication threw me off. I reported to EBay, Credit card company,Square Trade, PayPal, International white collar crime, the IFCC (Internet Fraud center/FBI) ,local police dept. here with all info forwarded to his Miami dept watch list. I have been trying to find out more on his identity but that is tough. PayPal said that they have resolved the issue and can only retrieve 175.00, but that has not been credited to my card or my account with PayPal and no more answers from them. No word from EBay.My card company said they will try to do a chargeback, but I am not holding out much hope.I would not eliminate the idea of getting a PI on this to try to track him down. I don't plan on giving up on this one anytime soon, even if I get my money returned.People like this need to be behind bars and I will do everything in my power to see it happen. Is this the end of the line or is there still hope to catch this lowball scum? Anyone with any ideas I have not covered? Thanks. :mad: