+ Reply to Thread

The Greatest Public Health Hazard In Human History

Last edited by dchristie; 05-18-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    "The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    -- Winston Churchill

2. 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Re: The Greatest Public Health Hazard In Human His

Helen Caldicott is to radiation what Jenny McCarthey is to vaccines or Lord Monckton is to global warming.

She's not worth listening to.

http://www.monbiot.com/2011/04/04/co...len-caldicott/

Pseudoscience is pseudoscience, whether it comes from those who are on the "left" or on the "right".

WHY WORRY!?............BE HAPPY!? :cwm2: :liefde: :spin2: ing1: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

But...but... wasn't radiation good for us? At least according to another brilliant scientist authority, Ann Coulter...

I'm with kazza here. Pseudoscience is pseudoscience, this is no exception. Helen Coldicot is arguing to further her anti-nuclear agenda, nothing more.

Silly me. And all along I've been thinking that Nuclear reactors melting down and spewing radioactive material into the atmosphere and the oceans was a bad thing.

Good thing we have real "experts" and scientific authorities at Scam.com to help us muddle through.

"The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie View Post
    Silly me. And all along I've been thinking that Nuclear reactors melting down and spewing radioactive material into the atmosphere and the oceans was a bad thing.
    Of course it's a bad thing, nobody denies that.
    Talking about millions of deaths with no scientific justification for it is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
    Of course it's a bad thing, nobody denies that.
    Talking about millions of deaths with no scientific justification for it is something else.
    Indeed... How absurd to think that interposing plutonium into the food chain could kill lots of people.

I don't know what came over me.

-- Winston Churchill

Indeed... How absurd to think that interposing plutonium into the food chain could kill lots of people.

I don't know what came over me.

Your argument is equally as fallacious as those who say:

"Indeed.... How absurd to think that the Sun would be responsible for global warming.

I don't know what came over me."

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    Your argument is equally as fallacious as those who say:

"Indeed.... How absurd to think that the Sun would be responsible for global warming.

I don't know what came over me."

This is great stuff kakka. I was really leaning the other way, but with this have been immutably moved.

Quote Originally Posted by willyjoe View Post
    This is great stuff kakka. I was really leaning the other way, but with this have been immutably moved.
    Geez.. I guess I'm just not with it today.

I'm still not seeing the analogy between the sun and building a nuke plant on a geologic fault line.

Maybe if I have a few martinis it will clear things up.

Oh wait... All I have is Russian Vodka.. Screw that.
    Last edited by dchristie; 05-19-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    -- Winston Churchill

Geez.. I guess I'm just not with it today.

I'm still not seeing the analogy between the sun and building a nuke plant on a geologic fault line.

Maybe if I have a few martinis it will clear things up.

Oh wait... All I have is Russian Vodka.. Screw that.
    No?

Science doesn't work based on feelings. You might feel like plutonium is a "bad thing" (and indeed it's not something you want in your blood stream), but that doesn't automatically make the Fukoshima melt down the "greatest public health hazard in human history."

How much plutonium has entered the food chain?

How much is necessary before it poses a hazard?

Plutonium-238 is dangerous to ingest because it is an alpha- emitter, but alpha-emitters occur naturally as well. We are bombarded with radiation all day, every day. Almost every element is radioactive to some extent. People are radioactive - if you sleep next to someone at night you measurably increase your dose.

Is it going to hurt you to ingest a milli-gram of Plutonium? What about a micro-gram? A nano-gram? A single atom?

At some point, the additional dose is so small compared to your background exposure that it becomes insignificant.

None of this is to say that there are no dangers from Fukoshima. It still has the potential to be the worst nuclear accident we've ever seen, and one that many in the industry had assured us was impossible.

However, turning to doomsday crack-pots like Calidicott is not the answer. Look to real science, real medicine, and real experts to find out the truth. But like I said before, pseudoscience is pseudoscience, and even if Caldicott is occasionally right, 95% of what she says is not based in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    No?

Science doesn't work based on feelings. You might feel like plutonium is a "bad thing" (and indeed it's not something you want in your blood stream), but that doesn't automatically make the Fukoshima melt down the "greatest public health hazard in human history."

How much plutonium has entered the food chain?

How much is necessary before it poses a hazard?

Plutonium-238 is dangerous to ingest because it is an alpha- emitter, but alpha-emitters occur naturally as well. We are bombarded with radiation all day, every day. Almost every element is radioactive to some extent. People are radioactive - if you sleep next to someone at night you measurably increase your dose.

Is it going to hurt you to ingest a milli-gram of Plutonium? What about a micro-gram? A nano-gram? A single atom?

At some point, the additional dose is so small compared to your background exposure that it becomes insignificant.

None of this is to say that there are no dangers from Fukoshima. It still has the potential to be the worst nuclear accident we've ever seen, and one that many in the industry had assured us was impossible.

However, turning to doomsday crack-pots like Calidicott is not the answer. Look to real science, real medicine, and real experts to find out the truth. But like I said before, pseudoscience is pseudoscience, and even if Caldicott is occasionally right, 95% of what she says is not based in reality.
    Is is me or does Kakka just feel like he should be considered some authority on this.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/201...me-bomb-22752/

Jeez, I'm so torn. Michio Kaku or Kakka, tough call. What's your feeling?

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/201...me-bomb-22752/

Jeez, I'm so torn. Michio Kaku or Kakka, tough call. What's your feeling?
    You seem to have trouble reading. Let me quote myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Kakka
    It still has the potential to be the worst nuclear accident we've ever seen
    (wow, that sounds almost exactly like what Michio Kaku said)

I was not saying that there are no dangers here. What I was saying is that Helen Coldicott is a loon who promotes pseudoscience and that we should listen to real scientists. Michio Kaku falls into the "real" scientist category, and is worth listening to.

So you don't have to choose. You can believe us both.

(And for what it's worth, Michio Kaku is a theoretical particle physicist, and I'm a theoretical atomic physicist. The most knowledgeable people on this topic would be nuclear engineers.)

Is is me or does KaZZa just feel like he should be considered some authority on this.
    You're too new to know better... He does know what he's talking about.

:judges:
    :spin2: Stop the spin!
    Who's running this popcorn stand anyway? :zx11pissed: