+ Reply to Thread

Parents being scammed

Hi, I was wondering how does one go about reporting a scam?

Since these are tough economic times, people often look to many places in order to improve their emotional state as well as improve their current situation. But this is also where many scammers come in to take advantage of people.

My parents are very religious and are currently being scammed. About 1.5 months ago, someone gave them a card with his contact info

Upon getting involved with that person, my parents have paid him over $2000.

I found out about this because they started to ask me for money. It turns out that they cleared most of their savings account paying this person to remove "evil spirits" and "improve luck"

My mother is the most tricked by this because she has been looking for a job for a while and the unemployment has ended and she still has not found work and now she feels that it is the work of "evil spirits" or something, and has given up almost all of the remaining money.

The scammer has sold them many random things such as silver rings (which are actually silver plated nickle rings), water stuff to spray on the walls, and a variety of other objects, which he continues to sell them.

I have refused to give them any money since they will not listen to me when I tell them that they are being scammed.

But I cant just leave things as they are, or they will lose the house.

I liked to believe my family was more intelligent than this, but this is just shameful to see this happening to them.

I have a copy of the persons business card that was given to my parents but I am unsure where to file a report. The FTC does not seem to have a section that deals with situations like this.

Re: Parents being scammed

You could try ic3.gov, your local law enforcement agency and your state's attorney general. You could also look for scam warner type websites where you can post that scammer's information and read what other victims and family members of victims have done.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Since you have a business card and know the area I'd suggest contacting the local authorities.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

I will probably have to head down to a police station to speak to someone, only problem is that it is hard to prove these scams. Since it is religious there is no way to tell if they actually got services rendered or not, my argument will be mostly based on that they spent their savings on some prayer and silver plated rings that no doubt cost them a lot of money.

It is just so hard to reason with them.
    Hopefully I can get a hold of someone who deals with these types of scams

You could also get in contact with your local current affairs programs eg. 60 minutes etc. They live for this sort of stuff!

Cheers, Pokey

Quote Originally Posted by red_panda View Post
    Hi, I was wondering how does one go about reporting a scam?

Since these are tough economic times, people often look to many places in order to improve their emotional state as well as improve their current situation. But this is also where many scammers come in to take advantage of people.

My parents are very religious and are currently being scammed. About 1.5 months ago, someone gave them a card with his contact info

Upon getting involved with that person, my parents have paid him over $2000.

I found out about this because they started to ask me for money. It turns out that they cleared most of their savings account paying this person to remove "evil spirits" and "improve luck"

My mother is the most tricked by this because she has been looking for a job for a while and the unemployment has ended and she still has not found work and now she feels that it is the work of "evil spirits" or something, and has given up almost all of the remaining money.

The scammer has sold them many random things such as silver rings (which are actually silver plated nickle rings), water stuff to spray on the walls, and a variety of other objects, which he continues to sell them.

I have refused to give them any money since they will not listen to me when I tell them that they are being scammed.

But I cant just leave things as they are, or they will lose the house.

I liked to believe my family was more intelligent than this, but this is just shameful to see this happening to them.

I have a copy of the persons business card that was given to my parents but I am unsure where to file a report. The FTC does not seem to have a section that deals with situations like this.
    If they have a minister or church that they've been attending for a while, and this so-called "scammer" isn't affiliated with it, they might be able to talk to your parents. You might also get the local Chamber Of Commerce involved, if there is more people getting scammed.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein