+ Reply to Thread

Kira Willoughby - Movie Producer Scam

I met a woman in Hollywood named Laura "Kira" Willoughby. She is a casting director of B-Movies, and she does catering and craft service to pay the bills.

A while ago, she started calling herself a "Producer", in order to attract filmmakers into giving her their projects to find financing. In the film business, it never hurts to have someone out there looking for money for your project. But this lady is not legitimate.

She will take on your project--sometimes for a "consultation fee", and sometimes to attach herself as casting director (for a fee).

She then says she's speaking with "investors" to close a deal on your project, but you cannot meet or speak with these investors, because she wants to make sure she's the main producer when the deal goes through.

The only problem is, she takes people's money, then says she's working with investors, then after months and months of waiting, these investors mysteriously pull out of the deal for some reason.

She took money to be the "casting director" on many people's projects who she was supposed to be producing. Unfortunately, not only can none of the people get their money back (although she's being sued), but NONE of her movies are being financed.

This is for anyone who might be dealing with Kira Willoughby:

STAY AWAY!

You've been warned...

2. 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM

Reason
    deleted at OP's request, soft deleted in case OP changes mind

Re: Kira Willoughby - Movie Producer Scam

This is Kira Willoughby with a spotless reputation for 30+ years and many contacts in the business. Please anyone who reads this contact me personally and I will gladly fill you in on who these guys are and with the details of why I dropped their projects.
    [email protected]

I have worked for Kira since 2006 and she has NEVER been sued. She has also NEVER done a workshop, she rarely even meets for coffee unless necessary. She's never collected money except for work that she has done, and she has done several favors for people as in working for free. She recently had to drop films from her slate and clearly they are disgruntled.

Wow what a joke these guys are talking about Kira. Everyone who knows her knows that she is the most helpful person on any project ever. I have worked with her as an intern and then I hired her to produce my short and she ended up helping me pay for it. You people are jerks. And by the way Kira doesnt charge any consultation fees for anything ever. Thats a BIG FAT LIE. When I worked for her I saw her start projects for free and then also work on projects that she didnt get paid for after she did great work and deserved to be paid. She does collect a pay check for work that she has done. That is true. She works and she gets paid. And she helps alot of people.
    To NOSURPRISE, I think you better check your facts. Kira has NEVER done a workshop, so you have NOT EVER paid money to get her advice. Also, you said Kira BOASTED? You got the wrong lady. She is the most humble person you will EVER meet. Why dont you guys put your name? Let people talk to you direct. Im not afraid to post my name and say I worked for Kira proudly. Josh H. Go ahead, respond to me. We know the truth in Kira's camp. What have you got but lies and idle threats?

6. 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Reason
    deleted at OP's request, soft deleted in case OP changes mind

@kfilmpro, soconfused and Insanityart

Isn't it interesting that you are extolling your innocence of any wrongdoing while simultaneously breaking the rules here that expressly forbid multiple usernames.

If you wish to post again, please use your original username of kfilmpro, thanks!
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Hi this is Kira. The beauty of this is that I have the honor of honest people and I dont need to use any other name like you guys do. I can prove it. The other beauty is that I was invited to attend a workshop as a guest but I ended up working on real film in NYC instead. If you had done a little research instead of not telling the truth you would have known that. Again, I can prove that the workshop never happened for me. Keep um coming guys. You will not win this and I have plenty of proof in my corner. And, it's nice to know I have people to back me up. I think I will point this site out to many others. Including ActorsWest whose workshop you claim you attended. They also keep records of who attends the classes so lets just look that up shall we. I will ask them if Tracey Kimball or Michael Silberman or Blu de Golyer or Mark Rickard attended that class. Gosh would any of you know the date of that actual class?
    By the way, post your name and dont hide behind your alias screen name. : )
    Kira Laura Willoughby
    Last edited by kfilmpro; 04-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Oh and by the way, let me clear the record by saying that I have NEVER been sued by anyone in the business. But I recently filed two lawsuits against other people. Please take the time to look those up in the Van Nuys Courthouse and please let me know if you need the info to look them up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by kfilmpro View Post
    Keep um coming guys. You will not win this and I have plenty of proof in my corner.
    You might be able to lie and defraud people and get away with it here in this life, Laura or Kira, but you will not be able to get away with it when you stand before God and give an account for everything you have done. You cannot defraud God.

God is not ok with what you have done to these people and to your church friends that you have defrauded. Every lie that you continue to spew is only being recorded and adding up against you for the day when you stand in God’s courtroom and face His judgment.

No amount of volunteer work will ever give you the right to steal from others.

Wow! I have known Kira for a long time and none of this is true. I know for a fact she won't take payment unless it is deserved or owed. Believe me many, many people owe her - some owe just a bit of gratitude or perhaps professionalism.

I have two guesses as to who wrote this and let me just say, if it's either of you - YOU ARE THE REASON I DIDN'T INVEST not Kira.

I even got on the phone with one of the parties this could be. You are jerks and I told Kira to drop you immediately after the call. Kira was out there everyday helping you make your dream a reality. You did nothing, but boast about all the contacts you have and how this studio wants it and that person... garbage and I called BS as soon as we got off the phone.

Also, @ nosurprise projects are often in development for long periods of time. Indie films can easily take 5-15 years to get off the ground. Did you know that we're in a recession, distribution houses are not as willing to offer upfront deals, tax incentives are in flux, investors are unsure of the market, studios are releasing fewer films, internet options are opening up, but not pacing with the cost of making a film? There are a lot of factors that go into indie film production. So, the fact that projects are announced and disappear often have nothing to do with any one individual.

I also want to point out that Kira guards her contacts (and rightfully so) until they are ready to go. She's not boxing you out. One of the parties got a hold of my cellphone number, then proceeded to call and text me for about a month after I said I had no interest. You harassing me will not make me say yes, it makes me say a louder NO.

If I didn't believe in Kira, her abilities, and professionalism I would have walked away because of your harassment. So, now that she's dropped you after all this time, you take your complaint to the internet? Well, let me just say this - where is that studio offer you had two years ago? You wouldn't be up in arms, if you actually knew what you were doing. There's a reason you had to bring Kira on as a producer.

Quote Originally Posted by kfilmpro View Post
    Hi this is Kira. The beauty of this is that I have the honor of honest people and I dont need to use any other name like you guys do. I can prove it. The other beauty is that I was invited to attend a workshop as a guest but I ended up working on real film in NYC instead. If you had done a little research instead of not telling the truth you would have known that. Again, I can prove that the workshop never happened for me. Keep um coming guys. You will not win this and I have plenty of proof in my corner. And, it's nice to know I have people to back me up. I think I will point this site out to many others. Including ActorsWest whose workshop you claim you attended. They also keep records of who attends the classes so lets just look that up shall we. I will ask them if Tracey Kimball or Michael Silberman or XXX XX XXXXXX or XXXX XXXXXXX attended that class. Gosh would any of you know the date of that actual class?
    By the way, post your name and dont hide behind your alias screen name. : )
    Kira Laura Willoughby
    (I have been asked by two of the parties to remove their name from this posting and I have agreed to be on civil terms until the investigation of their claims against me are complete. I will consider this a truce of sorts, from them against my character. Therefore they have been removed, as per my word to them.)

This listing on this site is all too telling. It was created many months ago, but still ranks as the most relevant search result for "Kira Willoughby".

The fact that so many people have posted replies here is just an indicator that they're probably right. I mean, if one person starts a smear campaign against you, it's easy to write it off as a spiteful disagreement. But if someone posts their bad experience with you on the internet for all to read and it spawns an entire movement against you, I think it's safe to conclude there's more truth than fiction to it.

In this case, there are all sorts of red flags about this woman and her credibility. If you track the trajectory of her business dealings since the first post here, you can see that she's lost all her projects as a "producer" and the bad-mouthing in public and professional circles has escalated.

Furthermore, history has proven that most people who free of guilt tend not to get defensive. Hey litany of individual replies comes off as the rants of guilty madwoman. Not to mention that it's easy for lying cheaters to enlist a couple of people to conjure up good posts on your behalf (although the moderator seems to point out that the posts were from the same computer), but if it were really untrue, you'd have seen a lot more people FOR her than AGAINST her, myself included.

As for what the film industry thinks of her, here is a pull from the IMDb message boards of all the posts people felt compelled to let her peers know:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ms Willoughby has made numerous claims to have "investors" and studio ties" however she flagrantly deceived Penny Marshall and John Leguizamo out of money back in 2008 when she joined an elaborate deception with Mark T Fukae and Vansay Zanubon claiming she could fund several projects with money from the New Brunswick government. Needless to say there was NO MONEY and Ms Penny Marshall was sent a "check" for payment that consequently had absolutely no funds behind it. A lawsuit was pending in 2008 against Ms Willoughby, and Mr Fukae and Mr Zanubon.

Ms Willoughby again claimed that she had several film investors for one of my scripts. This was back in February 2010. I gathered up my materials, registered everything, created a budget and business plan with the help of distinguished crew members (Line Producer, PR person, and other noteworthy veterans of respectable past films and TV shows. After a year has gone by, I find out from a former boss (well respected and multi credited and award winning TV Producer) that Ms. Willoughby is claiming ownership over my script despite her failure to produce and real money for the actual sale of script.

She had tried cutting me completely OUT, as well as another writer and three other team members including PR people that worked feverishly and actors that had attached themselves to the project. We are ALL out "money" she claimed she had for all of us for 11 months of her excuses about "The banks not crediting the investor's funds"...

Ms Willoughby was finally discovered to never have any verifiable investors much less verifiable funds. Hence, a lot of people worked for FREE giving up real work that could've paid them real money and she even went so far as to draw up contracts which we all signed in good faith but she has defaulted on to each and every one of us. So we are all left with the dilemma of hiring a lawyer to sue her but you know the saying: "You can't get blood from a stone!"

There are a total of four projects that have come to a "screeching halt" thanks to Ms. Willoughby's continual lies. If this posting can serve as a public service to prevent anyone else from being duped by this pathological and pathetic woman than so be it!

ImDb has been notified of the false postings and a false name she's been trying to claim is her. There are a dozen people ready to show proof that this woman is NOT who she claims to be. The only thing that she can say is she has worked as a catering assistant with one of her ex husbands on several low budget films.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am forced to agree with this posting. The one unpleasant dealing I had with Miss Willoughby or Gross (whoever she is?) I found distateful. She is a self centered individual that was so insecure that the talents that she has encountered frighten her because she knows that she can never be that good of an actress/writer/producer..etc.

I have a good friend that has worked on a set with Kira Willoughby in Los Angeles. She informed me that Kira is so uncomfortable with her own inequities that she will purposefully surround herself with people with little to no talent just to make herself look BIG. In one instance, she asserted that she knew better than a 35 year stunt fight choreographer that "a fight scene that took place with swords and armor should be achieved with plastic swords"! Seriously?! Well the entire cast and crew had a good chuckle and surmised that Miss Willoughby/Gross had no clue what she was doing on all counts but especially with stunts and fight choreography and there was no way she could ever produce with that narrow-minded thinking!

Another friend mentioned how while a film was completely cast and ready to shoot, Ms Willoughby ignored it because she felt threatened by the brilliant casting choices, the exceptional screenplay and that she herself had no involvement in. So, she scraps everything and calls it an over bloated piece of work and attempted to sweep it under the perverbial carpet.

The truly disturbing thing is Miss Willoughby/Gross alledges she is a "Christian" yet to be truly Christian one must not lie, or steal or be so full of oneself and clearly these are just three of her biggest flaws.

She made an allegation recently that while she had full ******* already for a feature film, she would need seed money. Now let me advise those who don't understand: Seed money, sometimes known as seed *******, friends and family ******* or angel *******, is a securities offering whereby one or more parties that have some connection to a new enterprise invest the funds necessary to start the business so that it has enough funds to sustain itself for a period of development until it reaches either a state where it is able to continue ******* itself, or has created something in value so that it is worthy of future rounds of *******. Seed money is typically used to pay for such preliminary operations as market research and product development. So off the members went to accomplish this task only for Miss Willoughby/Gross to default on the contractual terms for repayment and then try to blame outside sources for "her investors" pulling out. Several weeks later the truth came out but not before a lot of professionals were needlessly inconvenienced and agitated.

In another familiar scenario, Miss Willoughby/Gross threatened to "pull out" of a production after she was unable to answer a few simple questions like "who her ******* sources were". A very parochial approach since if she'd truly had the funds she'd have had no problem admitting who her sources were but the fact that her own business partner had been "pushed aside" showed her inability to "play well with others" let alone "be honest"!

It is clear from looking at the caliber of actors that the only people Miss Willoughby/Gross uses are less experienced young people looking for a hand out. Consequently, any productions Miss Willoughby/Gross has had a hand in are here today and quickly forgotten.

Advice to anyone who encounters Miss Willoughby/Gross claiming to be a Producer: check her background - look at the facts that she lacks any practical experience - IF she is unwilling to openly share her plans from the start then this is a good indicator that she has something to hide!

I've known Kira Willoughby for the better part of three years, and all my business dealings with her have been nothing short of a nightmare.

Granted, I'm speaking from my own personal experience, but I feel compelled to bring certain facts to light in the hope of helping others make an informed decision about working with her.

In the span of the last two years, she has represented herself as a finder on one of my company's projects. She's been very resourceful at finding "investors", but she insists on being the only point-of-contact between project owner and said money people. As such, a consistent pattern emerges whereby she strings you along (sometimes for months at a time) telling you all is going well -- even going so far as to draft and sign paperwork around the deal. Then, just as the money comes due, and she can delay no longer, something will happen whereby the investor gets cold feet, or goes missing, or has a family member die; the list goes on and on.

The one thing that is consistent, however, is that she never manages to close a deal. And, since she doesn't allow you to speak with the money people, you're left to speculate as to whether or not they even existed in the first place. By my count, she put our project in front of no less than two dozen separate individuals, all with fruitless results.

Granted, it was my own oversight in allowing her to continue to draw us back to the table, but the story changes slightly with each situation -- old business contact, family friend, non-recourse bank loan, etc. You thereby feel compelled to give her one more chance feeling you've nothing to lose by letting her try.

And you do lose nothing...except time. Lots and lots of time.

Eventually, I had to cut ties with her. Part of that decision was based around unprofessional conduct, e.g., her phone getting disconnected multiple times, not responding to the same e-mail sent over and over, grade-school misspellings in formal paperwork, etc. She even once tried to put me on a conference call with a investor resource whom (as it turned out) I had introduced her to!

Ultimately, however, I parted ways due to unscrupulous behavior. When people I'd never met began e-mailing me about litigation over "misappropriated funds", I got concerned. When I managed to cross-reference facts against things she'd told me, proving that I had been lied to, I got upset. When I finally confronted her at the end of one 8-month saga whereby she had knowingly misrepresented herself and my project to the point of negatively effecting the trajectory of countless people's lives...I got hung up on.

Nothing in this posting is untrue. I do not make it my business to badmouth associates, and I certainly don't feel I am putting my reputation on the line, since I am merely recounting my personal experiences with Kira Willoughby. I'm not even attempting to sway anyone's opinion of the woman. I simply believe it's the right thing -- regardless of what happens from this point -- that current and future collaborators are made aware of the facts of my involvement with her, then may decide for themselves how to proceed...

For over a year we have seen numerous postings about this illustrious movie "Cousin Sarah"... the kind of movie that frankly is below a "chick flick" on the movie ratings but any how, the woman behind this Kira L Willoughby claims to have big Hollywood connections so why then is this thing not made huh?

I read several other postings about a thriller "House Of Good N Evil" where the Producers lost a lot of money and hard work not to mention credibility cuz this Kira claimed she was going to find them money to make it. Never happened.

Folks, we all know that there are a lot of SCAM ARTISTS in Hollywood. But this lady is so unscrupulous. She'll steal scripts and make big claims to produce your film and make promises and really all she does is run away like the roach she is in the night!

My cousin went to a lot of hard work raising capital in this film. Kira swooped in like a vulture and took all the credit for this film, bragged about her filthy rich investors that would make the film then she runs off only to claim "the deal didn't work out"!

I have taken the liberty of talking to quite a few real professionals in Hollywood and all they can say is Kira L Willoughby has never actually produced anything. She is good at making claims, but has never actually come through. Even her marriages - yes, multiple ones- failed cuz she was "difficult to get along with".

She is untruthful, sneaky, underhanded and an opportunist when it suits her needs.

Be warned that her only "claim to fame" in the big H is as a catering assistant and not even of her own company, of course, cuz of her inability to manage her time, and money.

Just as long as she continues ruining the dreams of many good film makers and talents, this posting will continue to serve as a reminder to always DO YOUR homework and NEVER trust something that sounds too good to be true.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now, does that sound like a bunch of people making stuff up? She's managed to have most of those removed, but that's because IMDb is a pay service. Fortunately, you can find that info all over the net, and even more fortunately, someone had the presence of mind to create this thread which will live on and on...perhaps even longer than this woman's threshold to cheat people!

Thank you for posting all the information on Kira/Laura. I have read it all and it's very informative. It helps to know that there are many victims, including famous ones, and that it isn't just one person who was fooled by her.

I agree with the part about her pretending to be a Christian and being involved in church and acting like she's an honest person with her church friends. It is the thing that is the most confusing about her. And it's sad. I hope she repents and pays everyone back what they are owed.
    Last edited by theothervictim; 10-10-2011 at 07:04 PM.

15. 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LA/NY Producer View Post
    Richard Haggart ([email protected]) is representing himself as an associate of Kira Willoughby, who is indeed a known fraud in Los Angeles.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/producer...ough-ad953.htm

Their scheme is to promise a full investment in a film, in our case $2.5m, but in order to set the investment in motion, they require between $75 and $100k in "closing costs," which you'll never see again, not to mention the "investment money" doesn't exist.

I don't know who else to report this to, but these guys are both con-artists and as such, should be prosecuted.

I would be happy to refute many of the suggestions of Kira Willoughby (Laura Gross) and those people who say they know her and that she does not scam people.

Kira offered an Ebay auction for walkon parts (both speaking and non-speaking) for the movie "Summer". My Bachmann and I both "won" these parts. After the fact, I also spoke with a gentleman whose two children were scheduled to be in a film of hers and were also scammed.

We received word the movie had been rescheduled, then Kira disappeared. I had many problems trying to contact her as shown below. I did contact the Prosecutor in her area about bringing charges against her.

The link to see her website at the time is here: (Directs to Archive.Org)

http://tinyurl.com/7y6mx2o
    ---

D Kira Willoughby
    C/O Glenda Gillie
    FAX: 323-993-7908

April 8th, 2004

Ms. Willoughby:

Mr. Gary Bachmann and myself are requesting refund of monies paid to you for parts in the movie “Summer”, which has never been produced.

On December 17, 2001 I mistakenly paid twice for the E-Bay Auction for a role in “Summer”. My total payment was $360 x 2 = $720. The overpayment was promised to me but never sent.

Mr. Bachmann also paid for his non-speaking role in the same movie in the amount of $282.00.

We have receipts for all monies paid and can submit them to you if requested.

On July 30th 2002 you told me:

“Mark, Summer has been moved to May-July of 2003 to accommodate the actors that are being packaged for the film.

Please email with any further questions.

Thank

Kira”

Since that time, your WILLOUGHBYPICTURES website has been taken down, all email addresses fail to get responses, and when I called your agents office (Glenda Gillie) I was told that you were in the office that day doing interviews and the receptionist would have you return my call. I got no return call.

A letter sent to the address (Internet Movie Database IMDB) for Ms Gillie at:

Glenda Gillie
    My Management Company
    1438 N. Gower Street, Bldg. 13 Rm 107,
    Hollywood, CA, 90028, USA

Was returned as undeliverable.

We are now forced to make written request of our monies via FAX to her office, as we have no other way to serve written requests.

Our contact information is:

Mark Shultise
    [address redacted]

Gary Bachmann
    [address redacted]

Regards,

Gary Bachmann
    Mark Shultise

If you are going to scam someone on the internet, at least KNOW the internet and how it works and don't scam someone who knows the internet betetr than you.

After she allowed her domains to expire, I acquired them and am now the owner of KiraWilloughby.com, KiraWilloughby.Info, WilloughPictures.Com and WilloughbyPictures.Info. On these sites I relate my side of the complaint against her, being careful to state only facts and show proof. She has no ability to sue me. I have told her that should she pay both myself and Mr Bachmann back, I am happy to post a retraction and release her websites to her where she can do with them as she wishes.

---

“Act well your part; there all the honour lies.” Alexander Pope

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuped View Post
    I met a woman in Hollywood named Laura "Kira" Willoughby. She is a casting director of B-Movies, and she does catering and craft service to pay the bills.A while ago, she started calling herself a "Producer", in order to attract filmmakers into giving her their projects to find financing. In the film business, it never hurts to have someone out there looking for money for your project. But this lady is not legitimate.She will take on your project--sometimes for a "consultation fee", and sometimes to attach herself as casting director (for a fee).She then says she's speaking with "investors" to close a deal on your project, but you cannot meet or speak with these investors, because she wants to make sure she's the main producer when the deal goes through.The only problem is, she takes people's money, then says she's working with investors, then after months and months of waiting, these investors mysteriously pull out of the deal for some reason.She took money to be the "casting director" on many people's projects who she was supposed to be producing. Unfortunately, not only can none of the people get their money back (although she's being sued), but NONE of her movies are being financed.This is for anyone who might be dealing with Kira Willoughby:STAY AWAY!You've been warned...
    It may be a good idea for you to do more research and provide with solid evidence. Where are the lawsuits? What court? Case number? Go to pacer.gov to find the information and post them here.