+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a scam?

Is this a scam?

I received a strange letter today in the mail. I think it is a scam but I want to make sure if it is or not and if I need to do anything if it is. This is what the letter says

"Advertisement
    Re: Foreclosure April 21st 2011 OFFICIAL NOTICE Secure Law Center Freeman Toussaint and Associates P.C.

Defendant Householder
    Or Current Householder
    (My Address Here)

Title Trust Deed Service Company has been hired by your lender to foreclose on your property on April 21st 2011 at 12:00PM If you have already retained an attorney for this matter please disregard this letter.

PRECEDENCE: The Mortgage for the property which you are living is about to be foreclosed (Sometimes refered to as repossessed) We expect that ownership of the property will be transfered to the servicing note holder (Also known as the lender) within the next 30-60 days. Shortly thereafter, it is possible that the ownership will then transfer to the Secretary of Housing and Urban development (HUD). HUD generally requires that there be no one living in the properties for which it accepts ownership unless certain conditions are met.

Then it says call some 877 number that google search returns as a bagel company in Canada if I have decided to retain ownership of the subject property.

Then it says:

"HOW THIS BENEFITS YOU: You have been selected as a candidate for mortgage negotiation and settlement. Your outstanding debt may be reduced, the terms of repayment modified and any late fees or penalties forgiven. without the need to file for bankruptcy. Please note, due to the increased amount of foreclosures filed, we ask that you contact our firm immediately. Mortgages with adjustable rate mortgages, behind on mortgage payments, and homes in foreclosure have priority.

Then in big bold letters at the bottom it says CALL TODAY and gives the number again and office hours. No where in the letter does it have the name of the person on the deed or the lender.
    Last edited by Tatsichan; 04-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Re: Is this a scam?

sounds like it was supposed to be an advertisment, but they put the wrong phone number on it. if you bank hasn't been complaining to you about missing payments, i think you are okay.

Well, no we haven't received a single letter in regards of missing payments in fact we don't owe the bank any money at all. We didn't borrow money from the bank. Our "Mortgage" is actually a deal between my grandfather and a friend of his. My grandpa sold the house, but changed his mind and wanted it back, he is paying the difference off to that friend via direct deposit. The bank really isn't involved. I already talked to that friend and he doesn't know anything about it either and suspects it is a scam. But, I can't find out til Monday because no one is open.

Edit: When I dial the number listed on the letter it comes up to a recording about a law firm, but google shows it belongs to a bagel company in Canada.

why would a bagel shop have a toll free number? you order bagels long distance?

when you find out who they are, post it here. that may give them some deserved punishment. BTW, toll free calls are not free, they are charged to the business. you can probably think of ways to make their phone ring alot?

Heh, beats me. I am just wondering whether or not it is a scam.

sounds like you got a contract for deed, rent to own? the person who has the title may not have paid the mortgage? if it was supposed to be a general ad, your neighbors would have gotten one, too.

Claims there should be no problem and should be a mistake or a scam.

This wasn't a scam. Turns out that there is a empty lot nearby that is under foreclosure. Happens to be right next door and the address is "purported" to be the same as our address but obviously a different parcel number and owner. The letter itself was actually a advertisement letter from a law firm that wanted us to hire them should we have been in foreclosure. False alarm people.