+ Reply to Thread

Impeachment vote by California City

Calif. city weighs Bush-Cheney impeachment
    Thu Jun 29, 6:48 AM ET

BERKELEY, Calif. - The left-leaning city of Berkeley will let voters decide whether to call for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.

The City Council voted Tuesday night to put the advisory measure on the Nov. 7 ballot. The move is symbolic because only Congress has impeachment powers.

Some cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have passed resolutions calling for impeachment, but supporters say Berkeley would be the first city asking voters to decide.

Only 5 percent of Berkeley voters are registered Republicans and Democrat John Kerry received more than 85 percent of the city's vote in 2004.

The measure says the administration violated the Constitution with illegal domestic spying, justified the Iraq war with fraudulent claims and illegally tortured citizens.

The city will spend $10,000 to put the measure on the ballot.

"The whole idea is to start a grass fire surging up on this issue," Councilwoman Dona Spring said. "We hope other cities put this on the ballot as well. Just in the Bay Area we could get 2 or 3 million votes, which would be a very powerful statement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060629/ap_on_el_ge/berkeley_impeachment;_ylt=AtSUzL05mAT.9IYfNguO80Gs 0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

I hope it will set a trend that our leaders that we pay with our hard earned money, should have to answer to us!

Re: Impeachment vote by California City

niiiiiiiiiice

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Calif. city weighs Bush-Cheney impeachment
    Thu Jun 29, 6:48 AM ET

BERKELEY, Calif. - The left-leaning city of Berkeley will let voters decide whether to call for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.

The City Council voted Tuesday night to put the advisory measure on the Nov. 7 ballot. The move is symbolic because only Congress has impeachment powers.

Some cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have passed resolutions calling for impeachment, but supporters say Berkeley would be the first city asking voters to decide.

Only 5 percent of Berkeley voters are registered Republicans and Democrat John Kerry received more than 85 percent of the city's vote in 2004.

The measure says the administration violated the Constitution with illegal domestic spying, justified the Iraq war with fraudulent claims and illegally tortured citizens.

The city will spend $10,000 to put the measure on the ballot.

"The whole idea is to start a grass fire surging up on this issue," Councilwoman Dona Spring said. "We hope other cities put this on the ballot as well. Just in the Bay Area we could get 2 or 3 million votes, which would be a very powerful statement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060629/ap_on_el_ge/berkeley_impeachment;_ylt=AtSUzL05mAT.9IYfNguO80Gs 0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

I hope it will set a trend that our leaders that we pay with our hard earned money, should have to answer to us!
    And I bet that San Francisco and Oakland are left leaning cities. Isn't San Fran full of ***s ? Of course they will suport Kerry.

A very interesting "symbolic" move... However, before voting on such a symbolic resolution... what would he be impeached for? Keep in mind that the claims must be able to stand up to Senatorial cross-examination. In other words, are the charges and supporting evidence able to produce a chance of a conviction? Or would the impeachment just be symbolic as well?

What a big wast of money. Don't they think they could spend the money on something that is tangible, instead of just symbolic? Talk about government waste! 10 thousand for a worthless ballot measure, meanwhile children continue to be hungry. Nice one guys.
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

Well I think it's a good thing. No matter how you feel about Bush, the people ought to be able to call for impeachment hearings if a majority of the people feel that the president isn't doing his job right. Remember impeachment isn't kick them out of office. This won't get anywhere right now, but if it catches one, it'll probably miss this president, but in the future it will give the people a little more power over calling the leaders of our country on their actions.

Your just pissed because it's a republican. If it was a democrat you would be all over it. No matter what the party affiliation is, the president ought to be accountable to us, the people who pay his salary - that's why I think it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Well I think it's a good thing. No matter how you feel about Bush, the people ought to be able to call for impeachment hearings if a majority of the people feel that the president isn't doing his job right. Remember impeachment isn't kick them out of office. This won't get anywhere right now, but if it catches one, it'll probably miss this president, but in the future it will give the people a little more power over calling the leaders of our country on their actions.

Your just pissed because it's a republican. If it was a democrat you would be all over it. No matter what the party affiliation is, the president ought to be accountable to us, the people who pay his salary - that's why I think it's a good thing.

I don't have any problem with the people having a voice. I don't care who the president is. My problem is that it's only a symbolic measure, but they're spending the tax payers money on this. There are other ways to make your opinions known and heard, that doesn't affect anyone's pocket book. This is blatant waste. This is from the same people that ***** about their gas being too high, minimum wage needs a boost, teachers don't get paid enough, etc etc. But they frivalously spend money like this? If it wasn't for the money, I'd call it laughable. Thats far from being pissed. But thanks for putting words in my mouth Button, I appreciate that.
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

Quote Originally Posted by USNavySubSailor
    I don't have any problem with the people having a voice. I don't care who the president is. My problem is that it's only a symbolic measure, but they're spending the tax payers money on this. There are other ways to make your opinions known and heard, that doesn't affect anyone's pocket book. This is blatant waste. This is from the same people that ***** about their gas being too high, minimum wage needs a boost, teachers don't get paid enough, etc etc. But they frivalously spend money like this? If it wasn't for the money, I'd call it laughable. Thats far from being pissed. But thanks for putting words in my mouth Button, I appreciate that.
    Just saw your post...

Symbolic or not, if it eventually makes a difference, then why not? How much tax money can it waste to put a measure on a ballot that was going to be printed anyway? It obviously got some people thinking, and if it was to eventually catch on, it's money better spent than impeaching Clinton for lying about getting a blow job :p

Money wasted is the aid we give Israel to this day, wasted trips around the world for "research", etc. If politicans were held accountable in this way, maybe there would be less tax money wasted...Just a thought ;)