+ Reply to Thread

is Mortgage Audit Notice scam?

got this letter in the mail today that offers to audit my current mortgage. I says that I could be owed a refund of several thousand dollars. It gives me a listing #, as well as reference eligibility ID #. Is it something I should look into or should I just toss this letter. Thank you!!!

Re: is Mortgage Audit Notice scam?

Quote Originally Posted by N0218135 View Post
    got this letter in the mail today that offers to audit my current mortgage. I says that I could be owed a refund of several thousand dollars. It gives me a listing #, as well as reference eligibility ID #. Is it something I should look into or should I just toss this letter. Thank you!!!

I received the same letter and am trying to figure out the same thing. They seem legit so far (can't find any scam warnings). Did you proceed or toss your letter?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2012 at 03:03 PM.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/13494915/...edirected=true

By Gray Hall - bio | email
    Posted by Terry Alexander - email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) – Once again, criminals are targeting homeowners. This time they're mailing out two new letters hoping you take the bait. One is a deed retrieval service; the other is a mortgage audit notice.

Paula Sherman with Housing Opportunities Made Equal or H.O.M.E fights housing discrimination -- but she also tackles scams. She's warning about two new deceptions that may hit your mailbox. The first claims you may be entitled to a refund because of mistakes made on your mortgage loan.

"There is always a small element of truth to this scams but then again then again, they are scams and the primary goal is to extract more money from an unsuspecting homeowner," said Sherman.

The letter attracts the reader with claims of helping homeowners get up to $10,000 in refunds. To find out if you qualify you're asked to call a number. Sherman says if you the dial it, you could be making a big mistake.

"If they can lure you into thinking that it is legitimate service, hey you are eligible for refund, they almost guarantee that you are going to get refunds, it may cause you to go a little bit further down the road than you intended to," she said.

Sherman called the number in the mailer. The caller wanted $99 to conduct what he called a mortgage audit. He admitted if nothing was wrong the homeowner would be reimbursed, but told us, they almost always find something wrong. Sherman says a homeowner is almost never entitled to refund for a loan. If they are she says they can get help for free.

Mortgage Fraud Examiners exposed this problem of bogus forensic loan audits almost two years ago in a press release: "Beware of the Latest Foreclosure Rescue Scam—Forensic Loan Audits." http://www.prurgent.com/2011-04-21/p...ease165977.htm

Most of these letters are scammers trying to get your money. Check with the BBB of the state the letter came from to see what actions have been taken or if they received an F grade. Remeber, if you did not want it, it is probably a scam.

Yes, due to global financial crisis, many opted to do unlawful acts like scams. Mortgage scams are everywhere these days and they have their eye on those who are having trouble with their mortgage and will agree to the “too-good-to-be-true” offers. However, before you fall victim to mortgage scams, you may want to take advantage of the federal loan modification program. The federal program allows you to refinance or modify your personal loans so that you don't end up in foreclosure. Simply signing up isn't good enough – you have to prove your worthiness, and people with a mortgage of over $750,000 can just forget about it. They got enough of a bailout already. Just make sure you haven't already signed the deed over to mortgage scams ...
    There are services like advance cash loans that help people fight money difficulties.