+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Need a "weight gain" diet please

I've search and can only find crazy "bodybuider" related info. Can anyone recommend a reasonable diet plan geared to weight gain for regular people? I know you're all thinking "just eat more". Easier said than done. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Need a "weight gain" diet please

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    I've search and can only find crazy "bodybuider" related info. Can anyone recommend a reasonable diet plan geared to weight gain for regular people? I know you're all thinking "just eat more". Easier said than done. Any help would be appreciated.
    Linda49,

For healthy weight gain, I found the following tips useful:

Eat larger portions of food with each meal

Add smoothies to your diet, but use semi-skimmed milk, add a little ice-cream for creamier taste. (Avoid if you don't eat dairy products or have allergies or use rice milk instead)

Eat more often

Try going to the gym and doing some weights, this helps to build muscle mass. (Don't overdo it unless you want to look like Arnie Schwarzenegger....LOL)

Eat a small meal or snack about an hour or two before bedtime. Avoid anything too heavy or greasy especially if you suffer from heartburn or indigestion. Also, watch your belly/tummy. Eating late at night before bedtime can give you a "beer belly" and that's the reason I stated eating an hour or two before bedtime, this gives your body a little time to digest the food. As you will be sleeping, the body will not be burning up the calories too quickly therefore, you can/will gain some weight.

If the situation is especially desperate, adding some nutritional drinks like Ensure and Fortisip/Forti juice to the diet would help to build up the body, (but I'm sure that's not the case with you). If you are interested in the Ensure, you can visit their .com website of the same name, I believe you can get a free sample product/ voucher or whatever from them.

Of course, if you need more detailed and specific advice, seek out a dietitian for professional advice on recommended dietary intake etc, especially if you have any health conditions.

Anyway, good luck with your weight gain goals.:)
    Last edited by BAILEYSCREAMS_REVENGE; 06-29-2006 at 07:05 AM.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

simple, just pump up the carbs. eat at Mcdonald's every day! :D out of curiosity, why do you want to gain weight? i can honestly say i never seen this before...
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 06-29-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks for your help. The situation isn't desperate, yet. Life has been a zoo - lots of stress and I've lost my appetite. I feel full after a few bites - that's not good. I'm only 5' and 98lbs - while I haven't lost alot (was 105) my energy is gone and I look gaunt. I do not have any health problems. I think if I could gain a couple pounds I'd be back on track. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Thanks for your help. The situation isn't desperate, yet. Life has been a zoo - lots of stress and I've lost my appetite. I feel full after a few bites - that's not good. I'm only 5' and 98lbs - while I haven't lost alot (was 105) my energy is gone and I look gaunt. I do not have any health problems. I think if I could gain a couple pounds I'd be back on track. I'll give your suggestions a try.
    i wish i had your "problem"! seriously, just a carb increase will put on some weight, but make sure you also take in some protein, & other nutrients with those carbs. have you seen a doctor? maybe they can give you sone sound advice also. if your losing weight rapidly, maybe you have a problem. it doesn't hurt to get some professional help if needed...

Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    i wish i had your "problem"! seriously, just a carb increase will put on some weight, but make sure you also take in some protein, & other nutrients with those carbs. have you seen a doctor? maybe they can give you sone sound advice also. if your losing weight rapidly, maybe you have a problem. it doesn't hurt to get some professional help if needed...

Carbs will definatley put on weight but I don't think she means she wants to get fat. She just wants to put on healthy weight which would mean to increase her protein. No woman in he rright mind wants any more Fat than she has already - even those who are super skinny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heavensent
    Carbs will definatley put on weight but I don't think she means she wants to get fat. She just wants to put on healthy weight which would mean to increase her protein. No woman in he rright mind wants any more Fat than she has already - even those who are super skinny!!!
    well she only wants to put a few pounds back on. no bid deal. as i said she should take some protein & vitamins along with the carbs. reach the optimium weight & then MAINTAIN!

Tell you what - at my age now, I might as well must sit on all those carbs because that's where they end up anyway! :D I'd be all over a diet that I could eat carbs all day and lose/maintain. Wouldn't that be the bomb! I know a guy personally who had the majority of his colon removed and LITERALLY has to eat stuff like donuts, cookies, malts, etc. sometimes to reach his daily caloric intake because he could die if he loses weight. And with such a small amount of colon he has left, he has a hard time absorbing any nutrition or calories. The bum! Guess I wouldn't have wanted to go through all hte problems he had to go through to get to eat all the "fun food" I wanted to. But, we're all sure jealous of him at the Weight Loss and nutrition office when he comes back with a large chocolate malt! We're all trying to eat healthy & stuff and he's drifting his cup of chocolate malt under our noses as we're all drooling puddles on the floor! He loves to tease us!

Thank you - I just "LOST" my very long and eloquent post, thanking you. Please forgive me and know that your assistance is much appreciated. I'l try, again.

To gain weight your calorie intake must exceed that of your calorie expenditure. To build muscle and not too much fat you have to eat the proper foods to do so. Linda, you may just be blessed with a fast metabolism.

You can try all the gizmos and tricks you find, but essentially, it boils down to you having a very efficient metabolism, the only way to get around that is to eat more calories.

Have you tried eating something high calorie before bedtime? Icecream or fruit with real cream shouldn't interfere with your sleep but help give a boost of calories just before slowing down your metabolism. And then eat a big breakfast in the morning so that you don't undo what you did the night before.

Does that make sense?

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by heavensent
    Tell you what - at my age now, I might as well must sit on all those carbs because that's where they end up anyway! :D I'd be all over a diet that I could eat carbs all day and lose/maintain. Wouldn't that be the bomb! I know a guy personally who had the majority of his colon removed and LITERALLY has to eat stuff like donuts, cookies, malts, etc. sometimes to reach his daily caloric intake because he could die if he loses weight. And with such a small amount of colon he has left, he has a hard time absorbing any nutrition or calories. The bum! Guess I wouldn't have wanted to go through all hte problems he had to go through to get to eat all the "fun food" I wanted to. But, we're all sure jealous of him at the Weight Loss and nutrition office when he comes back with a large chocolate malt! We're all trying to eat healthy & stuff and he's drifting his cup of chocolate malt under our noses as we're all drooling puddles on the floor! He loves to tease us!
    oh stop it! :D i'm sure your very attractive! i bet if you posted a pic of yourself here everybody would find you attractive! women always worry that their behinds are too large! you are all so silly! you seem to take care of yourself very well. that's great! :)

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    To gain weight your calorie intake must exceed that of your calorie expenditure. To build muscle and not too much fat you have to eat the proper foods to do so. Linda, you may just be blessed with a fast metabolism.

You can try all the gizmos and tricks you find, but essentially, it boils down to you having a very efficient metabolism, the only way to get around that is to eat more calories.

Have you tried eating something high calorie before bedtime? Icecream or fruit with real cream shouldn't interfere with your sleep but help give a boost of calories just before slowing down your metabolism. And then eat a big breakfast in the morning so that you don't undo what you did the night before.

Does that make sense?

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    "fast metabolism" if i had a choice between winning the lottery, or fast metabolsim, i think i would take the fast metabolism! what a gift to have! to have it hard to gain weight!

You want to be wrinkly? Stick legs are appealing? Be careful what you wish for. Ultimately, everyone has their own problems. Odd really, that there's so much advertising, information and emphasis on losing weight - eating disorders - low carb - low protien - low fat - hi carb - protien rich -yada yada yada. I plugged my "stats" into three different health websites. One says I need 3700 calories - second 2200 - last 1700 (to gain a few pounds). On all, it turns out my height/weight/age are on the low end of normal. The best and funniest info I found was "the porker diet" - well worth the read, just for the fun of it. This gal has the gift of gab and a wicked sense of humor.

You want to be wrinkly? Stick legs are appealing? Be careful what you wish for. Ultimately, everyone has their own problems. Odd really, that there's so much advertising, information and emphasis on losing weight - eating disorders - low carb - low protien - low fat - hi carb - protien rich -yada yada yada. I plugged my "stats" into three different health websites. One says I need 3700 calories - second 2200 - last 1700 (to gain a few pounds). On all, it turns out my height/weight/age are on the low end of normal. The best and funniest info I found was "the porker diet" - well worth the read, just for the fun of it. This gal has the gift of gab and a wicked sense of humor.
    i'll never have the problem of stick legs. i see a lot of people who are at a good weight but wrinkly because they lack muscle tone. they just need to workout that's all. the fact that there's so much info out there about weight loss is because this country is over weight sadly. ya know how we can all lose weight? have the Air Force bomb all the fast food joints & build health stores in their place! anyway how's the diet going? did you get your weight up to a satisfactory weight?

The plan is to eat more, basically, and take a calorie supplement. Second, to take some "me time" to exercise a bit. The kids kept me "in shape" when they were younger. So far my weight is the same. I wonder where those cheeseburgers are? Hmmm....
    After all the research I've done I can see why people have some much difficulty with their weight. So much conflicting info - so much absolute crap! Nearly all the information I found was geared to sell some product.

www.dietician.com will calculate your healthy weight range, body mass index and nutritional requirements.
    Last edited by linda49; 07-21-2006 at 08:07 PM.

I just got back from Las Vegas! WOOHOO! And I found this cool place (they're actually all over out there) that takes a picture of your face and places it with the body of your choice. So, I did it to give me motivation and inspiration to get to the hot bod I want! Damn, I looked good in those pics too! It was the best $35 I've spent in a while! I now have the hot mamma pics of me I need to keep me motivated to work out to achieve that very body minus the "fakies" my body model has (around the chest area)! :D