+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Burning the flag still legal

Flag-burning amendment fails by a vote

Wednesday, June 28, 2006; Posted: 8:56 a.m. EDT (12:56 GMT)

The Senate defeated by one vote a constitutional amendment banning desecration of the American flag.

Manage Alerts | What Is This? WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate by a single vote Tuesday rejected a proposed constitutional amendment to ban desecrating the American flag.

The measure would have rolled back a 1989 Supreme Court decision allowing it. The vote was 66-34.

A two-thirds majority is needed to pass a proposed constitutional amendment. It then would need ratification by 38 of the 50 states.

The measure was the latest in a series of controversial election-year votes engineered by the chamber's GOP leaders in an effort to entice the party's conservative base to the polls in November.

Fourteen Democrats, including Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, voted in favor of the measure. Three Republicans, including majority whip Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, voted against it. (Watch how the Senate decided on the issue -- 2:11)

Senators began debating the amendment Monday, along with an alternative proposal from Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, and Bob Bennett, R-Utah. They wanted to ban flag desecration by law rather than by constitutional amendment. That proposal, too, was shot down Tuesday, 64-36. (Full story)
    Last edited by gools68; 06-28-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Re: Burning the flag still legal

Well, they aren't quite ready to desecrate the first amendment in the way the Supreme Court desecrated the 4th amendment.

We are still America, but barely.

Lady Mod

Amendment or no amendment, anyone who burns the American flag is the equivilent of the crap I scrape off my shoes after a walk through a dog kennel.

My personel opinion on this is that if some feel so upset that they must burn the American Flag, maybe they should seek citizenship somewhere else.
    Burning the Flag is nothing less than an act of defiance towards the country who flies it.

I disagree strongly with anyone burning the flag. So I don't do it.

The flag is a symbol of the United States.. nothing more nothing less. The burning of the flag is indeed an act of defiance, and or protest. I dont agree that its the best way to protest, I personaly think its stupid. But who am I to dictate to others what is and what is'nt appropriate ways to show your dissatisfaction with your government. I think people are putting way too much importance on a symbol then to the substance of what we as a country are all about. And your right flag burning is still legal, and has always been, particularly on that one day a year when old flags are retired by BURNING THEM! So its ok to burn a flag on flag day, but not any other day of the year? does that make sense to you? Flag burning and gay marriage are just smoke screens for both parties to hide their inaction on far more important issues that they somehow lake the will or desire to face. What happend to the health care crisis.. the ever growing deficit.. and so forth and so on. I just dont get it for the life of me.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    I disagree strongly with anyone burning the flag. So I don't do it.
    LOL, I don't agree with flag burning either, I'm happy though that congress didn't usurp the first amendment.

Lady Mod

This is one of the favorite diversions offered up periodically by so called "conservatives" because it resonates with the most reactionary, knee jerk impulses among the right-wing, brain-dead trash of their constituency.

After they run that up our asses, the next step will be a prohibition on posting "degrading" pictures of Der Monkey and then down the slippery slope from there.

Liberty is not something that is precipitously yanked away overnight...although The Bush Crime Gang and thier cult of clueless, flag waving lemmings have been working overtime on it for 6 years. It's chiseled away bit by bit, piece by piece.

The flag is horribly degraded often, however. It happens each and every day when Bush and Cheney pin it on their lapels.
    Last edited by dchristie; 06-28-2006 at 08:14 PM.

You make a good point there DC about Bush and Cheney degrading the flag every time they pin one on.
    The real reason these items like flag burning and gay marriage are coming up for vote is the Republicans are setting the stage for the fall vote by pandering to their base to get them worked up. We will see lots of insignificant items come up in the next few months because the Republicans don't care about this country, they only care about being re-elected.

The one concept that seems so difficult to make flag wavers understand is that without the Constitution our flag would be a meaningless piece of cloth. I can see protecting our original Stars and Stripes because that is an irreplaceable National Treasure but outlawing the "desecration" of our Made in China flags is ridiculous. We've had exactly FOUR incidents of flag burning in the last year. WOW!. I'm sure that will bring down our whole social structure any moment now. Besides, most flag burnings happen overseas anyway so does that mean we're going to invade any country that has incidents of burning our flag? Sorry folks but I don't get all emotional and gooey when I see our flag. I get all emotional and gooey when I think of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. When I say the pledge I don't pledge to the flag I pledge to the Constitution because that is the bedrock of our nation. Every country has a flag but not every country has a Constitution like ours. I'm far more offended by those who choose to ignore the Constitution, like the Bush Cabal does, then I am by some doofus trying to make a point by burning a flag. As long as it isn't burning down someones house I say go for it. I don't agree with it but that is the wonderful thing about our nation. That it will tolerate silly behavior. I just wish all the right wingers could get as angry about the way Bush wipes his ass with the Constitution every day as they do about some dumb fool occasionally burning a flag in protest. Meanwhile, more emergency rooms are closing for lack of funds, more people are losing health insurance, child poverty has risen to 18%, our deficit continues to climb, the Gulf Coast remains in a state of devastation from Katrina, our ports are still lacking protection, our states are lacking funds promised by the federal government to prepare for any national emergency so I think it's really wonderful that our do-little-as possible Congress concentrates on these photo op moments for their next election commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    You make a good point there DC about Bush and Cheney degrading the flag every time they pin one on.
    The real reason these items like flag burning and gay marriage are coming up for vote is the Republicans are setting the stage for the fall vote by pandering to their base to get them worked up. We will see lots of insignificant items come up in the next few months because the Republicans don't care about this country, they only care about being re-elected.
    Thank God we have all of those idealistic Democrats who don't care about their political future, don't pander and are always looking out for us.

Do you realize how ridiculous this one sided stuff is or do you really believe it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by justlearning
    Thank God we have all of those idealistic Democrats who don't care about their political future, don't pander and are always looking out for us.

Do you realize how ridiculous this one sided stuff is or do you really believe it. LOL
    Seems to me you want to be my new best friend. Careful what you wish for. :D

YEAH MITCH!!!! From one Kentucky boy to another... WTG!!! :cool:

And yes... I don't agree that flag burning is an effective way to protest. However, it is a form of protest and as such should be protected under Freedom of Speech.

Vandalism is another matter and as I understand it... is already against the law.

of course flag burning is still legal, if it was not legal, this site wouldnt be up.

http://www.hammersicklestuff.com/index.php

lol
    (p.s. no i have yet to buy anything from that site)

As I found out... flag etiquette does not address protest or desecration specifically.

http://www.wi.net/flag.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Crab of PAIN!!!
    lol
    (p.s. no i have yet to buy anything from that site)
    :eek: Nor would I recommend it.