+ Reply to Thread

Ask Amnesty: Outsourcing Torture

June 27, 2006
    Ask Amnesty: Outsourcing Torture

Khaled El-Masri, a German national, was abducted on a trip to Macedonia. He was detained and interrogated by Macedonian agents, then handed over to U.S. officials and secretly flown to Afghanistan where he was locked-up in a U.S.-run prison for four months. After el-Masri’s captors realized they had mistaken him for someone else, he was then shuttled to somewhere in the Balkans, driven for hours in a car and finally left by the side of a road in Albania.

U.S. authorities detained Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen of Syrian descent, at New York’s JFK airport while he was in transit on his way home to Canada. He was interrogated for several days and denied access to counsel and family. He was flown against his will to Jordan where he reports being beaten during detention. Arar was then forcibly transferred to Syria where he was held for ten months and reportedly tortured. Canadian officials secured his release and he’s now back with his family in Canada. The Syrian government acknowledged that they took Arar as a favor to the Americans and that during his detention shared information with them.

Both Arar and El-Masri filed law suits in the United States pertaining to their rendition. Both cases were thrown out on national security grounds. The number of people like Arar and El-Masri who have been rendered over the past five years by the U.S. government could be in the hundreds.

Please join us for a discussion today from 2:00-3:00 p.m. EDT with Steven Watt, senior staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union Human Rights Program, who has worked on both El-Masri and Arar’s cases to discuss the U.S. government program of outsourcing torture.
    Featured Guest: Steven Watt

From our featured guest: "I look forward to speaking to you on June 27."

Question Submitted by kathy:

What can the average US citizen do about this?

Steven Watt answers:

First, become aware of the issue and U.S. involvement and how the practice violates the fundamental right to be free from torture. Many organizations such as the ACLU, Amnesty, Human Rights Watch have produced reports on "extraordinary rendition." In addition, inter-governmental bodies such as the Council of Europe have conducted investigations into complicity of European states and the CIA in the practice. in the Second, some grass root advocacy groups are already taking direct action against the aviation corporations involved in renditions. These corporations are based here in the United States and these groups e.g. North Carolina Stop Torture Now have been protesting outside the offices and lobbying state legislatures to take effective action to halt the operation of torture flights from airports within the state. Third, a number of legislative measures aimed at outlawing the practice are currently before the House and Senate, members of the public should become familiar with these initiatives and lobby their members of Congress and Senate to support them.
    CONTINUED AT SITE………
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/askamnesty...y.php?topic=67

Re: Ask Amnesty: Outsourcing Torture

Although I find these articles hard to take, I find the Government response even harder to take. They seem to think they can do as they damn well please. They make people dissapear, just as the Taliban and Saddam did. They torture people just as the Taliban and Saddam did. And they refuse to be held accountable, just as the Taliban and Saddam did. I thought we were fighting against this type of behavior, but it seems I was wrong. With BushCo in power we are actually allowing it to happen here at home. Have the terrorists won? It's beginning to look that way.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Re: Ask Amnesty: Outsourcing Torture

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    Although I find these articles hard to take, I find the Government response even harder to take. They seem to think they can do as they damn well please. They make people dissapear, just as the Taliban and Saddam did. They torture people just as the Taliban and Saddam did. And they refuse to be held accountable, just as the Taliban and Saddam did. I thought we were fighting against this type of behavior, but it seems I was wrong. With BushCo in power we are actually allowing it to happen here at home. Have the terrorists won? It's beginning to look that way.
    Ouch. I agree with you, but still OUCH!

Lady Mod