+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which is better?

I am wanting to buy meal replacement shake mix.

Should I get whey protein, or just regular slim fast. I know that whey protein comes in a HUGE container for only $20!

I tried the K-Mart "cheap version" of slim fast and it is nasty!

So, what do you think? Is whey good for you?

Re: which is better?

I tried protein shakes a long time ago and they gave me upset stomach. Studies have said they're bad for your stomach lining.

Eat broiled chicken, beans, meat. Or you could be like Rocky and drink raw eggs. Yummy!! :D

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

I understand from a person I know that is a Personal Trainer that
    Whey Protein is the best.

Go to a health-food store or a place that specalizes in body building
    preparations. That is where you can find the best product. A first, buy
    a smal quantity and try it. If you dislike it, take it back and get a
    refund. Tell them why you are returning the product. If enough
    people would do this the word would get back to the manufacturer.

I will not hestitate to return undesirable food items; even meat that
    proves to be unpalatable or disagreeable tasting.

Also, when buying this, or anything, USUALLY, cheap price means a
    cheap and poorly prepared substance. Pay some more, than cheapest
    and get better quality.

Also, check the label of the product. If it is sweetened with artifical
    sweetners and has weird preservatives than pass it up. Also, ANY
    preservatives, additives should be researched. I am sure there are
    books and internet information regarding this.

Sodium Bisulfite: totally avoid this. It is usually placed in wine and
    other beverages to extend shelf life. Also, foodstuffs such as instant
    mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes mix, from a box and the like.
    Many, many foodstuffs now have a lot of additives that most people
    do not know what they are consuming.

Sodium Bisulfite kills all of the useful bacteria in the stomach and
    results in the natural digestive stomach acids attacking the stomach
    lining. Useful stomach bacteria, other than aiding digestion generates
    a muscous substance on the stomach lining that protects it from
    acid damage. Many people with ulcers and constantly experiencing
    acid indigestion are usually the victims of drinking wine or consuming
    other foods containing Sodium Bisulfite.

Once a persona drinks, say wine, the Bisulfite will kill the stomach bacteria
    pretty much immediately. Then a series of experiences of indegestion
    and other stomach difficulty sets in. It can take up to two weeks to
    correct this problem once it occurs.

Usually, the problem is corrected by eating multi-cultured Yougurt
    severa tiems each day, along with mild starchy foos such as Rice.

Indigestion and upset stomach can also be healed by drinking the
    water from White Rice after it has boiled for about ten minutes on low
    heat. Remove the pan of Rice from the burner, strain into a metal
    pan to excellerate cooling, pour into a glas when luke warm or
    cool and drink this. Good for a "crummy" feeling stomach after a
    night of alcohol drinking. Alcohol also kills the helpful stomach
    bacteria; one major reason for the "blahs" the next day.

By the way" Formaldehide which is ofen used in embalming corpses
    and preserving labratory specimens is often added by beer manufacturers
    to extend shelf life of their prodcut.

Think most of these food manufacturing businesses are interested in your
    good health and well-being? Think again; their first interest is protecting
    their investment (as in money) that it cost to manufacture the
    product. Especially in storing in warehouses in bulk lots; they don't want
    to risk their mass-produced food stuffs spoiling before they get them to
    you, the consumer.

In a way, cannot blame them, they are JUST protecting theirself. IT is
    up to the individual to protect theirself by knowing what they are
    putting in their body.

Couple of other things: some where around 30% gristle and bone meal
    as well as a large quantity of grain cereals are included in your every
    day hot-dogs or frankfurters.

A great deal of fresh meat: Beef and Pork products as well as turkeys
    and chickens are injected with water to increase the sales weight.
    Water is considered by these meat producers to be a cheap additive
    to their product, thereby increasing their profits on their meat
    products.

Anyone desiring a better source of food should shop and buy at
    a wholistic food market. Buying organic foods, including meat items
    will ensure better health.

Yeah, these products cost more, but that is because they are
    prepared, produced in a more wholesome and healthy manner.
    If enough people would buy their foodstuffs with this interest
    in mind it would result in wholesome food prices becoming lower,
    as more would be produced in a wholesome and healthful fashion.
    Last edited by coontie; 06-25-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spell

You're right about the price thing. Unfortunately, protein foods whether they be protein powders, meat, etc are going to be more expensive. That's just a fact of life. But one thing is for sure - if it's way cheap, it's not going to give you the benefits anyway because it's not bio-avialable to your body and you won't absorb it. Slim-fast is death in a can! If you drink enough of the darn stuff, you'll never need to be embalmed when you die - it's got a TON of preservatives in it just like all the other pre-made shakes in a can. They can't have a shelf-life of several years and not have any preservatives in them! Think about what fun fuzzy creatures would be swimmin in your can if it didn't! But they are very harmful.

GNC products and other larger containered, cheaply made products will basically not be absorbed into your body. It's not good news, I know because the price looks sooo good. But, if you have it in your house - put it to the test! Put a serving into a shaker cup and make up a shake. Set it off to the side for an hour or so and see what happens! It will separate. And that's what it's doing in your body also. You can't absorb it. You've just got REEALY expensive bowl movements :eek: Put any of your protein powders to the test that way! My husband was very hard to convince that GNC didn't stand for God's Nutrition Center until he saw the results of it separating - and he's one of those major builder guys! So, tearing him away from GNC was a tough one. He kept wondering why he couldn't get to the physique he wanted. But, after that, he didn't wonder any longer. We now concider GNC Garbage Nutrition Center!

Good luck! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily

Should I get whey protein, or just regular slim fast. I know that whey protein comes in a HUGE container for only $20!

Whey Protein would be the better option. Slim fast is very commercial, hence a well known brand, but not necessarily good for you, it contains a lot of sugar. As whey protein is low in fat and sugar, it will assist with your weight loss goals a lot quicker than the slim fast stuff.

It is derived from Cow's milk and is very high in protein, it will not be suitable for you if you cannot eat dairy products. It is soluble and easy to digest and is well absorbed by the body and helps to maintain a healthy immune system. The body requires more energy after protein ingestion so, the body burns off more calories after a protein meal.

It is used by a lot of athletes and body builders to improve their physique, build muscle mass and maintain a trim figure. As a result of consuming more protein, you will see improvement in your hair growth, stronger nails and faster wound healing. I have expereinced all the above, I used to work out quite a lot at my local gym. If you can't afford to join a gym just yet, compose a music tape and do your very own dance work-out at home for about an hour or two and make sure you break a sweat, this will really help to tone you up.:)

Don't forget to add vegetables and fruit to your diet as well so that you get the vitamin benefits as well. Also, avoid buying the cheap stuff as they usually contain fillers and other junk, spending a few extra dollars will give you a better quality product in my opinion.

There is a lot more info and I have pasted two informative links here for you. So, good luck with your weight loss program.

For more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

http://www.wheyoflife.org/benefits.cfm
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

How serious are you about losing weight? I run a list on Yahoo that is 1,200 strong of all the people doing the "Fat Smash Diet". www.fatsmashdiet.com look for link to the support group on the front page. The author, Dr. Ian K. Smith is a member on my list.

I've lost 23 lbs and 15 inches so far since Easter. This is the first diet in years that actually delivered on it's promises.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 06-29-2006 at 06:32 AM.

whey protein's the best. be aware, those "meal replacement" shakes contain a lot of sugar. you could actually gain weight rather than lose it from those shakes! i like those atkins sugar free protein shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    How serious are you about losing weight? I run a list on Yahoo that is 1,200 strong of all the people doing the "Fat Smash Diet". www.fatsmashdiet.com look for link to the support group on the front page. The author, Dr. Ian K. Smith is a member on my list.

I've lost 23 lbs and 15 inches so far since Easter. This is the first diet in years that actually delivered on it's promises.

Lady Mod
    the atkins diet works wonders also! awww, you posted a referral link! i'm going to have to ban you for that lady mod! tisk, tisk, tisk, hubba, hubba, hubba! :D out of curiosity, what kinds of foods do you eat on that diet? the link really doesn't specify this...
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 06-29-2006 at 03:52 PM.

I've tried slim fast and lost 8 pounds several years ago, but after a while you can't just drink your meals and I gained it back. And plus, with the slim fast shakes, you still snack through the day, so why not just make yourself a low cal meal? It will keep you from getting so hungry that you eventually binge eat.

Same thing for the whey shakes, while protein will help you, eat it, don't drink it. Your stomach will be much more satisfied and you're less likely to binge.

To be done succesfully and keep it off, it's best to do it the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I've tried slim fast and lost 8 pounds several years ago, but after a while you can't just drink your meals and I gained it back. And plus, with the slim fast shakes, you still snack through the day, so why not just make yourself a low cal meal? It will keep you from getting so hungry that you eventually binge eat.

Same thing for the whey shakes, while protein will help you, eat it, don't drink it. Your stomach will be much more satisfied and you're less likely to binge.

To be done succesfully and keep it off, it's best to do it the old fashioned way.
    ya a lot of people who go on these diets wind up putting it back on later. i put some back on, but i'm nowhere near the weight i was at one time. you got to maintain your weight after a diet, but don't over indulge, otherwise you will be in the same boat as in the beginning...

The biggest problem with a "diet" is the mindset of the person using it! A "diet" shouldn't be designed to help you lose weight then allow you to jump back on the same old way you were eating before. This is the mentatlity of at least 90% of the overweight/obese people I work with every day! They think that after the weight is lost, they can go back to eating the potato chips, burger king, McDonalds and pizza every day! A true, successful diet is one that focuses on eating properly 3 smaller portioned meals a day while choosing healthy nibble snacks inbetween the meals to keep the metabolism stimulated. And after the weight loss, getting on a similar weight maintanance plan by increasing calories for maintaining, continuing to eat healthy choices and also keeping the 6-8 light meals & nibble snacks throughout the day.

The scales also lie sometimes. If you're eating properly, making healthy food choices and eating the correct amount of protein for your body's needs, the scale may tell you that you're gaining weight; but that may only be because you're losing fat and gaining muscle density. Muscle weighs more than fat and will cause the scale to give you a reading of more weight when it's actually positive weight gain. Our bodies need a combination of healthy carbohydrates, good fats, vitamins/minerals and protein. Distinguishing what these things are and where they come from can be trying sometimes. But it is well worth it!

well i think what happens is these people think they can go back & eat the same things as before, just smaller portions. if they stuck to the smaller portions, they would keep the weight off, but 9 times out of 10 that doesn't happen because they slowly increase their portions to the way they were. it's hard for people who just like to eat to keep slim. it's all in the mind really! i think any diet that could change your way of thinking would work the best....

It's so hard, because our society has made eating a way of life. We cook foods that taste good, we go out to lunch, we have cookouts, we get together for Sunday dinner. Eating is a social thing as well as a personal thing. And to be full is comforting and it's so tempting to eat bad when it's right there on your way to/from work, there's a value menu, it's quick and it tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    It's so hard, because our society has made eating a way of life. We cook foods that taste good, we go out to lunch, we have cookouts, we get together for Sunday dinner. Eating is a social thing as well as a personal thing. And to be full is comforting and it's so tempting to eat bad when it's right there on your way to/from work, there's a value menu, it's quick and it tastes good.
    exactly! i mean on every street corner there's a Mcdonald's, or a Burger King. i would love to see places that sell steamed veggies & stuff like that.
    no wonder why so many people are obese. many Americans who have jobs with long hours, don't feel like cooking when they get home & just eat at these places. not good....

Also remember to eat potatoes, pasta and milkshake after 9pm before bedtime. You'll see results alot quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky36
    Also remember to eat potatoes, pasta and milkshake after 9pm before bedtime. You'll see results alot quicker.
    i think she's trying to lose weight, not gain it! :D thanks for your help though!