+ Reply to Thread

Sharky is offline Right Might over Right Wrong(J. Swift) late 1600's

Covetousness, Good or Bad?

True Righteousness Comes From The Heart
    The Tenth Commandment
    Last, but not least.

The last commandment, against coveting is aimed directly at the heart and mind of every human being. In prohibiting coveting, it defines not so much what we must do but how we should think. It asks us to look deep within ourselves to see what we are on the inside.

It deals with our thoughts that threaten our relationship to other Human beings. Our motives define and govern the way we respond to everyone we come in contact with. Our transgressions of Yah’s Law of Love begin in the heart, as Yahusha (Jesus) confirmed. “for from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.” Christ said. “All these evil things come from within and defile a man” Mark 7:21-23

Covet means to grave or desire.
    Especially in excessive or improper ways. The Tenth doesn’t tell us that all our desires are immoral. But does say that some are wrong.
    Coveting is an immoral longing for something that is not rightfully ours.
    That is usually because the object of our desire already belongs to some one else. But coveting can also include our wanting far more than we would legitimately deserve or that would be a rightful share. The Tenth’s focus is that we are not to illicitly desire anything that already belongs to others.

The opposite of coveting is a positive desire to help others preserve and protect their blessing from Yah. We should rejoice when others are blessed. Our desire should be to contribute to the well being of others, to make our presence in their lives a blessing to them.

Our First Nature (born into sin) inclines to think of ourselves first.
    We are far more interested in what we can get rather than what we can give.
    He tells us to stop thinking of ourselves, to quit seeking only our interests.
    Coveting is the selfish approach to life, and selfishness is the root of our transgressions of Yah’s Laws.

“ Each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed” “Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin: and sin, when it is full grown, brings forth death” James 1:14-15

James notes how dangerous out of control desires can be: “Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask” James 4:1-2

As pointed out covetousness can lead to many sins, including War and Murder. If not controlled.

What begins as a thought becomes an obsession that leads to an act.

“All of us have conducted ourselves in the acts of the flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and the mind.”
    Ephesians 2:3

“We have all let our desires rule our behavior. Accordingly we have all sinned.”
    Romans 2:3

Paul’s description of covetous people in the End of Days is instructive to say the least.

“But know you this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves , lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanders, without self control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather then lovers of Yah, having a form of Yahness, but denying its power.
    And from such people turn away.” 2 Timothy 3:1-5

Do you think this is a possible accurate picture of our world of today?

Though it is not unique in History.

Covetousness has always cursed humanity.

Yah speaking to one of the Kings of Israel said. “Yet your eyes and your heart are for nothing but your covetousness, for shedding innocent blood, and practicing oppression and violence”

One glaring example of the almost universal acceptance of covetousness is the Burgeoning popularity of Government Run lotteries.
    Millions of people surrender part of their paychecks each week hoping to win that fantasy lifestyle of ease and luxury. Likewise the gambling Mecca’s of the world are hugely popular vacation resorts, specializing in entertainment to our baser instincts. Promoting covetousness is big business.

Just watch 30 minutes of TV and watch those 15 minutes of advertising for things you would never desire unless you saw someone else having it and Loving it.
    From Drugs, Alcohol, Cars, Boats, Loans, Bad foods etc.
    It is created and we buy it, not for need of, but for want of.

Paul also links the sin of covetousness (desires of want) with idolatry, pointing out that sins prevent us from entering the Kingdom (family of Yah).
    “For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has no inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and Yah” Ephesians 5:5

Yahusha (Jesus) commanded His disciples (which I am one) to

“Beware of covetousness, for ones life does not consist in the abundance of things he possesses” Luke 12:15

Likewise, Paul tells us, “Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better then himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” Philipians 2:3-4
    (our brothers keepers we are)

Yah’s way, the way of Love, is to practice this kind of concern for others.
    (meaning anyone who states the belief in Yah and Yahusha must be concerned for others and their well being, simply put)

Paul in Romans also states this: “You shall Love your neighbor as yourself. Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore Love is the fulfillment of the Law.” Romans 13:9-10

“Let not your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have, For He himself has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you” Hebrews 13:5

“For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can take nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those of you who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the Love of Money is the root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the truth in their greediness and pierced themselves with many sorrows.” 1Timothy 6:7-10

Covetousness can not be stopped without the help from Yah.

The negative pulls from our First Nature are simply to powerful for us to overcome by ourselves. The help needed comes from His strength, which is His Spirit given to each who “Trust in Yah (God)” We must ask for Him to use His Spirit to keep us from covetousness for it is near impossible to prevent it from within ourselves.

“For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so you do not do the things that you wish” Galatians 5:16-17

“We are to lay up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves don’t break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” Matthew6:20-21

The whole of humanity is in this rut of covetousness, it is the World we have created.

You can find the awesome truth in these words of scripture by just looking around at how the world has changed in as much as what the World desires of us humans. And basically it is our singular desire to have for us and no one else. For we are greater in our own eyes then all others of humanity.

To care not for your brother (which is everyone, not just next door) is what we have become. Me first, I deserve all I have gotten, forget what others needs are. My needs are more important. Why should I be the one to help the less fortunate, let them work as I have, let them raise themselves up. Mine is mine.
    You will find this sitting in the Pew right next to you, in the Pulpit and in the rise of the new Politics of nothing for anyone ( the cry goes out now that selfishness is good and damn the people who don’t have.)

As it is said that in the End of Days all will only be concerned for their Welfare and reject the welfare of their neighbor. Each to His own Way.

The whole point is that all now have the attitude that I am first and greater then all others.

What shame for the believers in themselves first for they if they have Faith will not be rejected but shall be last in the Family of Yah.

It is our Command, Duty to follow the Beatitudes and to give all of us to others in order for us to gain the Kingdom of Glory and have Him our Yah, put His hand on our shoulders and say “Well done my good and Faithful Servant”

We are to serve Him and our Brothers and Sisters as you would with your physical family in the here and now.

If you choose not to obey His Laws then you have decided your own fate and good luck with that.

I see things the Way he wants me to, using His laws for my own sake.

So, should we all.

For I am responsible for no ones salvation, but my own.

If anyone claims my Yah, it is demanded you to do for others.

This also applies to any who is a Politician who sits in a Pew and confirms themselves as Christian.
    These who make the rules and claim God should be making or at least trying to make laws that benefit Mankind and Help Mankind.
    They need to care for their citizens as commanded by their God. And if not and they wish suffering to visit these , then they are liars and are not of His body and should not be in a Pew.

But, I find it all the Rage to eliminate the very needed assistance that was a safe guard for the less fortunate and to Prop up the Fortunate.

Politicians ask to have all the Poor and demand little from the Rich .

Covetousness Rules America and the World, that is why we have the Leaders we do.

They take on the form of Godliness and are so far from it that they are blind to it and justify their actions as they themselves see things and not through the eyes of Yah.

There is no sorrow from me for them on the road to perdition.

They have their reward and that’s all they’ll have.

Pastor Rick (Sharky) Gorton

Re: Covetousness, Good or Bad?

The men who managed to get rich really are not informed in spiritual things. Even the pastors tend to make mistakes like them. You can get the status and position, but sinners, who love the church, professing the faith, but the choice of their own in the way of God. My ways are not your ways, saith the LORD of hosts. We follow the teachings of Christ and the Scriptures,

There is an exception to that Rule about some that get Rich.

My Uncle was carried to Christ by my Grandmother.
    He was Jewish and kinda like a Trust Fund Kid.
    Once he came to Christ, things changed dramatically for Him.
    He went and studied and became a Pastor.
    During this time He developed something to do with selling list of phone numbers to Sprint. He made Millions and re-invested and made even more.
    All of His 7 children are all Saved and have wonderful lives.
    He spends His time building Clinics for Kids in Africa with the Wealth He knows He was blessed with. He lives better then I or the Middle Classes, but He does God's work, so should all who claim Him.
    You can still have wealth and know God, but with the wealth blessed with needs to be shared in the betterment of your brothers and sisters in a way of real help such as He has been able to provide.

I am not so blessed with wealth, just blessed with Him speaking to my Heart and leading me over the rocky road we all walk as believers.

The parable was given while Jesus was teaching his disciples. He had previously rebuked the Pharisees for their hypocrisy (Luke 11:39-52). The Pharisees and scribes then tried to provoke Jesus into saying something by which they could entrap him (11:53-54). The multitudes around Jesus were innumerable “insomuch as they trod upon one another”(12:1). Jesus proceeded to give some instructions specifically to his disciples, which was no doubt overheard by the multitude. Then unexpectedly, from the crowd, someone exclaimed, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”
    Who was this one who dared interrupt the master while he was teaching his disciples? He apparently was not concerned about Jesus and his disciples, nor was he concerned about whatever Jesus may have been teaching the crowd. He seems not to have been concerned about having a good relationship with his brother. His concern was for himself. He was concerned only about having a part of his brother’s estate. Could this have been someone like the younger brother in the parable of the prodigal son, whose loving father may have died, and whose older brother was unsympathetic toward him? Whatever his case may have been, Jesus realized that he was covetous.

Yes, Yahusha (Jesus to you) knew where man was heading when it came to covetousness and all of the Torah.

Since Yahuah(God) sent part of himself to be our sacrifice for our sins, and now in the flesh he got the skinny on understanding of Man. He had to know our Pain and took it on Himself, so we wouldn't be on that Cross.

Here's what is a true sign of what will and is happening and growing.

Here in the States we take such Pride in our Flag and anthem that Fox lets a Singer Sing the Anthem and she does it wrong. That's OK though.
    But when a Christian Organization was willing to pay 2 million dollars for a 30 second spot which was only John 3:16 on the screen, they were rejected and get this, it was because it was to Religious and may offend someone. (meaning there half owner of newscorp a Muslim terrorist supporting Saudi Prince.

Mean while the crowd Pledged One Nation under God out load.

Now, don't you think that might offend some also.

Instead of canceling the Pledge they canceled what this God they Pledged to wanted all to know.

So, if you don't want to offend anyone (Muslims) it is better to run racey ads and alcohol commercial and to buy Mammom(Gold) while their Mad Propht of the Air Waves Beck spews out Gods Name on Air as if he was the Chosen one of Yah.

I despise all MSM for they all have caused a divide in our house America.

Remember what Christ said?

"A house divided cannot stand."

Our house has been split into and I have watched the slow decline in this our America into drug crazed, lust filled, Haters of all who oppose, believers in themselves and their Morals not His, coveting all the Earth brings forth and creating even more covetousness. Then I thought possible.

We a supposed nation with a belief in God must be worshiping Baal with the all to ready sacrificing (Wars) of our young peoples blood (and our finances which is also the Blood of this and all Nations) in order for a few to gain.

Ruination is our Nation and the World.

I suppose His longsuffering is coming to an end.

So I say, Look up for he comes in the clouds for all to see.