+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vital Help Needed, Am I Looking At A Huge Scam? Help!!!!

My Dad recently came to me with a business proposition that he was presented with. The claim:

Invest your money with these ticket purchasers who have connections on huge sold out events, namely the Super Bowl in Miami in 07'. In return, they pay you an estimated 60-100% return on your money. They say they can buy the tickets for about 800$ a piece and then resell them for 2000$+. I know that super bowl tickets go for 2000+ easily but are these guys for real or will they just dissapear with the investment.

Please Help!!!! My dad is looking at a huge investment and I would probably invest some as well if you guys think this is legit...I'm totally undecided.
    Thanks!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Re: Vital Help Needed, Am I Looking At A Huge Scam? Help!!!!

"Investing" in ticket scalping?

" I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused" Elvis Costello

yea that's the concept, legally it may not be on the up and up, but you can check for yourself online, there are a ton of scalping web-sites. I don't know if it's legal or they are off-shore websites, any ideas as to whether these guys will just cut and run with the money, ever heard of anything like this? anything will help!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrmWestwood
    yea that's the concept, legally it may not be on the up and up, but you can check for yourself online, there are a ton of scalping web-sites. I don't know if it's legal or they are off-shore websites, any ideas as to whether these guys will just cut and run with the money, ever heard of anything like this? anything will help!
    Thanks
    Well, let's see. They are asking for people to invest in what is probably an illegal activity (as far as I know scalping is illegal). As such, if they do disappear, you have no recourse aside from essentially admiting your guilt in a crime. Since they are alrady performing one crime, doing another isn;'t likely to affect their concienses. I wouldn't risk it.

Colin

Very likely, it is a scam. You don't want to involve yourself in schemes like these where there's not guarantee the products will be delivered. You have a responsibility to the people who will purchase the tickets. If the tickets end up being fake, what are you gonna do?

Are you even serious?

yes i'm serious

yes i'm serious
    Junior, you want me to believe that anyone with the connections to score Superbowl tix needs financial backing from people they meet in the corner pub?
    Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

My Dad recently came to me with a business proposition that he was presented with. The claim:

Invest your money with these ticket purchasers who have connections on huge sold out events, namely the Super Bowl in Miami in 07'. In return, they pay you an estimated 60-100% return on your money. They say they can buy the tickets for about 800$ a piece and then resell them for 2000$+. I know that super bowl tickets go for 2000+ easily but are these guys for real or will they just dissapear with the investment.

Please Help!!!! My dad is looking at a huge investment and I would probably invest some as well if you guys think this is legit...I'm totally undecided.
    Thanks!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Think about it for a moment.

First of all you said "have connections to huge sold out events" and then you proceed to name only one.

But let's assume for a minute that the premise is correct - your ticket people have access to $800 superbowl tickets. If the event is sold out then, presumably, they already have the tickets.

Why do they need your investment? Short answer - they don't.

As others have pointed out on here - you have no guarantee of performance here. If they walk off with your money what are you going to do? Go to the police and claim that you were investing in fleecing people and got fleeced? Good luck with that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck98
    Think about it for a moment.

First of all you said "have connections to huge sold out events" and then you proceed to name only one.

But let's assume for a minute that the premise is correct - your ticket people have access to $800 superbowl tickets. If the event is sold out then, presumably, they already have the tickets.

Why do they need your investment? Short answer - they don't.

As others have pointed out on here - you have no guarantee of performance here. If they walk off with your money what are you going to do? Go to the police and claim that you were investing in fleecing people and got fleeced? Good luck with that approach.
    They have connections to all types of things from Madonna concerts-to the French Open, I gave an example, that's what an example is last time i checked.

2nd of all, the Superbowl tickets go on sale in a month, It's not sold out yet and they don't have the tickets yet for that reason. In order to buy the tickets they must buy a huge amount and that is why they need investors. I appreciate the help people but you're nitpicking my post instead of telling me if you've ever heard of this as a "scam".

Sounds like it might be, only time will tell.

p.s. My dad invested in it and I did not, keep the help coming though please if you have something to add.

They have connections to all types of things from Madonna concerts-to the French Open, I gave an example, that's what an example is last time i checked.

2nd of all, the Superbowl tickets go on sale in a month, It's not sold out yet and they don't have the tickets yet for that reason. In order to buy the tickets they must buy a huge amount and that is why they need investors. I appreciate the help people but you're nitpicking my post instead of telling me if you've ever heard of this as a "scam".

Sounds like it might be, only time will tell.

p.s. My dad invested in it and I did not, keep the help coming though please if you have something to add.
    ever heard of "what" as a scam?

Getting people to front money on the promise of huge returns?

especially on huge returns for something that is questionable legally??

Think about it - really. Think about it - it is not a question of "nit picking" your post - what you laid out is the most basic of potential scams - it ranks alongside the Nigerian email scams , the "you have won the lottery and must send us some money" scams.

This is like asking if you should buy a bridge from someone who sneaks up to you on a street corner and says "psst! wanna buy a bridge?".

You say your father has invested in it? Well then you should have your answer pretty soon.

Ask yourself some basic questions, if the opportunity is so golden why not get the financing from a bank? It would cost a lot less than paying an investor. Why, if they have the "in" are they so short of cash themselves? what about all the wild profits they must have made on other stuff?

What questions did YOU ask of the people who were pushing the deal? What answers did they give you?

Check this out by ESPN http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/010821.html

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NAS...n_overview.jsp

http://teamexchange.ticketmaster.com...&team=mariners

Reselling tickets for a profit, can, does, and will continue to happen.

I wouldn't trust someone else to do it, I would do it myself.
    Last edited by ponziscams; 07-03-2006 at 09:30 PM.

Screw whether it's a scam or not, you're denying true fans of the sport purely to satisfy your own greed.

Actually, you know what? I say you go for it.

My Dad recently came to me with a business proposition that he was presented with.
    Who presented it to him?

He invested, I guess he thinks he can trust the person? When it comes down to it, integrity is everything, and trust is how much credit you give to someones integrity. What you are talking about is dodgy by any books, but you aren't asking whether we approve or not.

So the only way to answer your question is to find out the integrity of the people offering the 'proposition'.

Also, cneilsons first reply to your question is very important: They are already committing one crime, there is no reason not to commit another. You therefore need to be certain that you can trust them....

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    Who presented it to him?

He invested, I guess he thinks he can trust the person? When it comes down to it, integrity is everything, and trust is how much credit you give to someones integrity. What you are talking about is dodgy by any books, but you aren't asking whether we approve or not.

So the only way to answer your question is to find out the integrity of the people offering the 'proposition'.

Also, cneilsons first reply to your question is very important: They are already committing one crime, there is no reason not to commit another. You therefore need to be certain that you can trust them....
    Thanks for the best response yet.
    My dad was introduced to them by his best employee who swares up and down that these guys are the real deal, the employee has known the owner of this company for upwards of 15 years. My dad's employee has invested almost his entire savings so I think that's why my Dad took the risk. The reason they need investors is because 1. this is only the second year they've been doing it 2. with a business such as this they are constantly reinvesting basically everything they personally have and are therefore cash-strung 3. from what I've read and researched, scalping is only a crime in certain states and rarely prosecuted, not illegal in CA where I'm from.

Thanks all for the help!

Wow... entire savings. That is a big leap of faith. The dodgiest bit is that it is a connection once removed. It is your dads, best employees...friends?

So what happens if it is a scam? Your dad will fire this guy for betraying his trust? Even then, he probably gets a nice cut of your dads savings, and since he is such a good employee, he can go find another job.

OR, maybe the employee is much more reliable than that and he doesn't know its a scam. The risk of losing financially still exists, and I fear for your dads money just because of the fact that he jumped into it.

maybe I am wrong there, it looks like jumping in from my angle because I don't know what investigating your dad did. So I guess that is the next question: Did you dad take the word of this employee, or did he meet the organisors himself? He should go and meet them himself, get to know them, get points of contact for them and verify within himself that these people are reliable and traceable. Due Diligence is just as possible IRL as it is online.

it isn't too late to still do this....

Shane