+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This isnt a scam...just hoping someone will know

Okay, remember a while back when splenda in diet pop was supposedly linked to cancer.

I am trygint o eat better and diet and am wanting to use splenda for my cereal and other things. Do you think it would be fine?

Kind of a stupid question, but oh well :p

Re: This isnt a scam...just hoping someone will know

Read the Potential Dangers of Sucralose:Reader Testimonials

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/su...stimonials.htm

Just because some supposed doctor says it's not safe doesn't make it true. The author is trying to make out that the FDA did little testing on Splenda. :rolleyes: I'm sure the manufacture would love that to be true given the large money involved with getting new product approval.

The Urban Legends website ( snopes.com) debunks all the scare tactic stories about Aspartame, I'm sure there will be one to follow on Splenda also.

Personally, I have used Spenda ever since it was released. I have never experienced any problem with its use whatsoever.

Who is Dr. Mercola,

He is obviously an un-informed quack to post such obviously ignorant statements.

1) In 1988 (8 years ago) there had already been over 110 studies of splenda
    see: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/tpsucral.html

2) He tries to shield himself by stating that he has not actually researched the feedback on his site....Lets see - he refutes well documented studies documented by the FDA with un-documented personal oppinions.

What reputable scientist would refute studies with un-researched personal oppinions. That alone should tell you the person is a quack..... Real scientists would look at the facts not try to create some histeria....

3) It has been independantly evaluated and approved by many countries...It was first approved for use in Canada (where it has sometimes been marketed as Splendar) in 1991. Subsequent approvals came in Australia in 1993, in New Zealand in 1996, in the United States in 1998, and in the European Union in 2004. As of 2006, it has been approved in over 60 countries, including Brazil, China, India and Japan.

In 2005 about $250,000,000.00 worth of sucralose was sold.... (splenda)... With all of that, dr. mercola seems to be the only one who has found all these people that had

4) All of these people had completely different reactions.... Apparently only dr quack finds them but splenda causes almost EVERY DAMN MEDICAL SYMPTOM IN THE WORLD. No two people are alike! Sorry if there are repeats....Is there ANY medical condition that according to dr quack, splenda doesn't cause?

--puffy eyes,
    --red welts that don't go away for days,
    --Diarehea,
    --Numb Tingley body,
    --IBS,
    --Muscle aches,
    --angina,
    --cramping,
    --fatigue,
    --Depression,
    --Dizzyness,
    --heart palpitations,
    --adbdominal pain,
    --shortness of breath,
    --headaches,
    --migranes,
    --sluggishness,
    --iritability,
    --Rashes,
    --bumps,
    --boils,
    --dry skin,
    --Panick attacks,
    --nervousness,
    --Memory loss,
    --evere thirst,
    --vision trouble,
    --seizures,
    --Joint stiffness,
    --diffuclty walking,
    --vomitting,
    --itchyness,
    --loss of sense of taste,
    --Cold chills,
    --high blood pressure,
    --Lack of focus,
    --Food Poisoning,
    --Acute Renal Failure
    --Back pain,
    --hyper-sensitive to noise,
    --Leg and Knee pain,
    --Chest Pain,
    --Agressive behavor/uncontrolled anger
    --Sleeplessness

Now there are mature replies.

My opinions differ from yours – so be it. I’m not here to debate if Aspartame is safe for you. In my opinion I feel that it’s unsafe, therefore I avoid all artificial sweeteners - that's my choice. I also don’t smoke and think smoking is bad for you too. We all know that smoking is dangerous to our health. But there are so many people who still smoke. There will always be those who ignore the warnings. I’ll leave some links and let each person who reads it decide for themselves.

http://www.aspartamekills.com/
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/
    http://www.dorway.com/

http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexcl...xclusive15.htm

You are comparing apples to oranges.
    The difference is smoking has been found to cause cancer through documented study, and cigarettes have warnings on the packaging indicating so. It is up to the consumer to decide if they want to smoke and take the risks of harming themselves.
    Your post is implying that there is some sort of conspiracy to hide the negative effects of Splenda. In order to believe this, you must be open to conspiracy theories, and believe in a mostly unscientific study.
    Yes, it is up to the consumer to decide if they want to use the product. I too can leave multiple links debunking the conspiracy theory .

http://health.mweb.co.za/dietnfood/D...1871,29252.asp
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Screenial, if I must be open to the fact that it is safe. You should be open to the fact that perhaps it isn't. You've left links. I've left links. We will let the consumer decide. Like I've stated. I don't use it and that's my choice. :)

The problem is, you are refuting hundreds of scientific studies with un-researched personal testimonials. Further, your testimonials don't seem to cite any specific risk.

Then you go on to cite go old doctor Mercola...

Lets see... Microwaves are completely unsafe and there is a huge cover up about it. It causes long term permanant brain damage!
    http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm

He claims that battery operated wrist watches cause cancer...

Hot beverages cause cancer
    http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/cancer_esophageal.htm

The fluoride in our water causes cancer
    www.mercola.com/2006/apr/25/ the_bone_cancer_fluoride_connection.htm

Tylenol causes ashtma
    http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/asthma_tylenol.htm

Birth Control causes cancer
    http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/29/b...trol_pills.htm

The polio vaccine causes cancer.
    http://www.mercola.com/2004/aug/14/virus_vaccine.htm

Electric clocks cause leukema and brain cancer..
    http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

A fun quote from the good doctor....
    "Be wary of cordless appliances such as electric toothbrushes and razors. You may choose not to wear a quartz-analog watch because it radiates pulsating EMFs along your acupuncture meridians. "
    http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Watch out for the dangers of jewelry
    "It is also recommended to wear as little jewelry as possible and to take it off at night. "

Wait - he does all this out of the his civic duty? NO... He tries hocking books, movies, and vitamins.... Of course the FDA has already gone after him for fraud - apparently he made a bunch of illegal claims trying to hock his vitamins...
    http://www.casewatch.org/fdawarning/.../mercola.shtml

Oh but with all his knowledge of cancer, he must be an Encologist or something right? He is an Osteopath... I am not even sure if he is an MD- because some sites call him Mercola DO... which I believe means he never even did a residency....

Maybe I was a little heavy handed, but when someone come on here claiming something that contradicts hundreds of studies and basically common sense, don't do it based soley on personal testamonials... I would bet that there are positive testamonials for every single scam on this board...

If thats your only support...........

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily
    Okay, remember a while back when splenda in diet pop was supposedly linked to cancer.

I am trygint o eat better and diet and am wanting to use splenda for my cereal and other things. Do you think it would be fine?

I use raw sugar. You can purchase it in the store and it's not processed.
    Or I use Stevia. 4 drops of Stevia is every bit as sweet as two packets of Splenda.

Better than Splenda if you want a more natural approach to your diet.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I use raw sugar. You can purchase it in the store and it's not processed.
    Or I use Stevia. 4 drops of Stevia is every bit as sweet as two packets of Splenda.

Better than Splenda if you want a more natural approach to your diet.

Lady Mod
    stevia isn't approved by the FDA as safe yet, & it is illegal to be sold in the U.S A. as a sweetner, only can be sold as a dietary supplement, so the jury's out on stevia for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily

Heather honey, i've used artificial sweetners for over 25 years as i also diet. i had no problems from their use. they are approved by the FDA as safe also. there's much mis-information circulating on the web (see the links posted here). i know this, in the past these sweetners were suspected to cause cancer, & cans of diet soda which used them had warnings on them. years later, the warnings were removed because no links were ever found between their use & cancer according to the FDA. there are those who believe the FDA really knows their really toxic & don't tell us so we can all be mildly sick to keep the doctors in business. a kind of conspircy theory i guess. i don't know what to think about all of that, only as i already said, i used them for many years without no problems. i drink so much diet soda especially when it's hot i would say if these sweetners really were unhealthy for you i would be dead & buried by now! i cut back on drinking a lot of sodas containing artificial sweetners lately maybe because of all the mis-imformation as it's easy to get caught up in the hoopla, but i find it hard to believe they cause all the problems listed in those links. i feel their way better than using sugar which contains no nutrients at all & is reallty unhealthy for you. my grandmother died from sugar diabetes, & i really won't want to post here about the horrific events surrionding her death from excessive sugar intake, but let me tell ya what, sugar is the real poisin! trust me! i have many horrible childhood memories about her death......
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 06-26-2006 at 08:43 PM.

I tried stevia, it tasted so bad that I'd rather have no sweetner! :eek:

I have yet to see any links directly relating someones death to artificial sweetner. If I see an autopsy report stating cause of death as " cancer caused by Splenda" , then I will recant. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Screenial

I have yet to see any links directly relating someones death to artificial sweetner. If I see an autopsy report stating cause of death as " cancer caused by Splenda" , then I will recant. :D
    stevia can't be sold here as a sweetner if so it would be confiscated. i never tried it, but i'll take your word for it. i never heard of sweetners causing cancer or other health problems. millions of people use it. i asked my doctor if their safe & he recommended to use splenda....

Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    stevia isn't approved by the FDA as safe yet, & it is illegal to be sold in the U.S A. as a sweetner, only can be sold as a dietary supplement, so the jury's out on stevia for the time being...

You can buy Stevia at WalMarts. Right in the sugar aisle. And you can get it online all over the place.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Screenial
    This is the one I use because it doesn't leave that weird taste in your mouth.
    https://www9.mailordercentral.com/bo...item=2&mitem=2

I don't use sweetners in cold drinks, I prefer them without and I mostly drink water anyway.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

MJ362, I don’t think that you understand. I do not wish to debate this with you. What of that are you having a hard time understanding? Ignorance is bliss! Aspartame is under a great deal of pressure because of research which says it can cause cancer or other complications if too much is consumed.

In 2005, researchers announced that aspartame - in doses equivalent to the maximum daily amount recommended for humans - gave rats cancer.

The European Food Safety Authority said the study was flawed and declared aspartame safe.

Though there may be no proof if aspartame is safe or not safe, it is up to you as a consumer to decide if you are going to use it or not. I choose not to use it. Now go nag someone else with your theory- as you could provide me with 100 links that state's it is safe- I choose NOT to use it. That is my choice! Just like I choose not to do many of things.

Ps: Thanks for the FYI on Dr. Mercola - I didn't know that.