+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Signs Of End Times

I feel that I have started this thread in the right place, because of the indications that are in the Bible RE: happenings in the end times. Sure you can believe the bogus tenent "separation of church and state" (that is a lie the enemy wants people to believe is in the U.S. Constitution or some official document. To debate that, please go to the thread " 'Separation of Church and State' a Myth" unless you really feel the need to debate that here, as well.) "Church and state" is SEVERELY intertwined when you think about it - although I am sure some on here won't like to consider that.

Of course, the Bible lists other signs that can't be ignored, and they are apparent every day.

Just a small sampling of the many current events that the Bible assures us would happen on a larger scale in the last days:

NEW YORK INVESTIGATES SKATING RINK FOR PLAYING CHRISTIAN MUSIC

TVC ASKS PATAKI TO STOP HARASSMENT

June 21, 2006 - Washington, DC – The Traditional Values Coalition asked New York Governor George Pataki to rein in a state agency which is threatening legal action against an Accord, New York skating rink because it plays Christian music during a “Christian Music Skate” party.

The New York Division of Human Rights threatened Len and Terry Bernardo, owners of the Skate Time 209 rink in Accord, with an investigation because the rink plays Christian music during certain hours. The agency also threatened to charge a local newspaper which advertised the event for “aiding and abetting” unlawful discrimination.

“This is crazy,” said TVC Chairman Rev. Louis P. Sheldon. “These people are exercising basic Constitutional rights on private property to the exclusion of no one and the state government is treating them like dangerous criminals.

“Aiding and abetting? It is the responsibility of every citizen to aid and abet the free exercise of religion, free speech, the right to assemble and private property rights.

“New Yorkers have never been intimidated by international thugs and terrorists and they should not tolerate this bureaucratic attempt to violate their most basic civil rights.

“I have asked Governor Pataki to take authority over this illegal attempt to manipulate the law to accomplish a violation of basic civil rights. I will be watching closely to see that the Bernardos’ rights are protected.”

--------------------------------
    June 21, 2006

Transmitted by Fax

Governor George E. Pataki
    State Capitol
    Albany, NY 12224

Dear Governor Pataki:

I was shocked to learn that a business operated by supporters of our Coalition has been threatened with legal action by the State of New York Executive Department, Division of Human Rights for holding a “Christian Music Skate” party at a private roller rink they operate in Accord, New York.

Sir, I cannot believe that any reasonable person would feel that the mere act of playing Christian music during certain hours when the Skate Time 209 skating rink is open for business amounts to some form of discrimination.

The section of the New York State law cited by Division of Human Rights General Counsel Gina M. Lopez Summa deals with those who “refuse, withhold from or deny” access to someone.

The rink’s proprietors Len and Terry Bernardo assure me that no one has ever been denied entrance to their privately-owned skating rink nor have they discouraged anyone from patronizing their rink because of their religious beliefs.

The only difference between the Christian Music Skate Time and all other times at the rink is that the former involves the playing of Christian contemporary music. There are no special discounts for Christian skaters and no one is denied access to the rink if they are not Christian.

Governor, please take action immediately to halt this action against the Bernardo’s and to reassure all New Yorkers that their First Amendment right to the free exercise of their religious beliefs and other rights related to private property and the right to assemble are not in jeopardy.

New Yorkers have demonstrated such courage and tenacity in dealing with international threats to their freedom. There is a reason why the amendment which guaranteed religious liberty and freedom of expression was the First Amendment.

Please halt this harassment immediately.

Sincerely,

Rev. Louis Sheldon
    Chairman
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Update

Skate Rink Warned Against ‘Christian’ Skate Time

June 22, 2006 – A skating rink in Accord, New York has been warned by the State of New York’s Division of Human Rights against having a Christian skate time on Sunday afternoons.

The owners of Skate Time 209, Len and Terry Bernardo recently received a stern letter from the human rights office warning that having a “Christian” skate time violates Human Rights Law 296.2. The law says that no business can discriminate against a person because of race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, etc.

Human Rights official Gina Lopez told the Bernardo’s that their Christian skate time “apparently denies or at a minimum, discourages non-Christian patronage” and “constitutes prima facie violation” of the Human Rights Law. Lopez has given them ten days to respond to the charges.

Lopez has also sent the same letter to the Ulster Country Press because they advertised Skate Time 209’s Christian skate time. The newspaper is also under threat of legal action by the state because they published the ad.

In addition, the Bernardo’s received an anonymous email from someone warning them “Get a lawyer.”

TVC has issued a press release on this case and has sent a letter of concern to New York Governor George Pataki over this outrageous violation of religious freedom and free speech. In the release, Rev. Sheldon notes: “This is crazy. These people are exercising basic Constitutional rights on private property to the exclusion of no one and the state government is treating them like dangerous criminals. … I have asked Governor Pataki to take authority over this illegal attempt to manipulate the law to accomplish a violation of basic civil rights. I will be watching closely to see that the Bernardo’s rights are protected.”

In his letter to Governor Pataki, Rev. Sheldon asked him: “Governor, please take action immediately to halt this action against the Bernardo’s and to reassure all New Yorkers that their First Amendment right to the free exercise of their religious beliefs and other rights related to private property and the right to assemble are not in jeopardy.”

Christian news outlets should contact the Bernardo’s to let them tell their story and Christian legal defense teams should take this case. Contact information: Len and Terry Bernardo, Skate Time 209; PO Box 590; 5164 Route 209; Accord, New York 12404; 845-626-7971; fax: 845-626-2548.

Re: Signs Of End Times

This article is one of many printed on this particular topic and movie- within the last week or two:

Facing the MPAA Giant by Terry Mattingly

The Motion Picture Association of America is crystal clear when it describes why its "PG" rating exists -- it's a warning flag.

"The theme of a PG-rated film may itself call for parental guidance," states the online explanation of the rating system. "There may be some profanity in these films. There may be some violence or brief nudity. ... The PG rating, suggesting parental guidance, is thus an alert for examination of a film by parents before deciding on its viewing by their children. Obviously such a line is difficult to draw."

Disagreements are a given. The Christian moviemakers behind a low-budget film called "Facing the Giants" were stunned when the MPAA pinned a PG rating on their gentle movie about a burned-out, depressed football coach whose life -- on and off the field -- takes a miraculous turn for the better.

"What the MPAA said is that the movie contained strong 'thematic elements' that might disturb some parents," said Kris Fuhr, vice president for marketing at Provident Films, which is owned by Sony BMG. Provident plans to open the film next fall in 380 theaters nationwide with the help of Samuel Goldwyn Films, which has worked with indie movies like "The Squid and the Whale."

Which "thematic elements" earned this squeaky-clean movie its PG?

"Facing the Giants" is too evangelistic.

The MPAA, noted Fuhr, tends to offer cryptic explanations for its ratings. In this case, she was told that it "decided that the movie was heavily laden with messages from one religion and that this might offend people from other religions. It's important that they used the word 'proselytizing' when they talked about giving this movie a PG. ...

"It is kind of interesting that faith has joined that list of deadly sins that the MPAA board wants to warn parents to worry about."

Overt Christian messages are woven throughout "Facing the Giants," which isn't surprising since the film was co-written and co-produced by brothers Alex and Stephen Kendrick, who are the "associate pastors of media" at Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Ga. In addition to working with the megachurch's cable-television channel, they created its Sherwood Pictures ministry -- collecting private donations to fund a $25,000 movie called "Flywheel," about a wayward Christian used-car salesman.

"Facing the Giants" cost $100,000 and resembles a fusion of the Book of Job and a homemade "Hoosiers," or perhaps a small-school "Friday Night Lights" blended with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association movies that used to appear in some mainstream theaters. Sherwood Pictures used local volunteers as actors and extras, backed by a small crew of tech professionals.

The movie includes waves of answered prayers, a medical miracle, a mysterious silver-haired mystic who delivers a message from God and a bench-warmer who kicks a 51-yard field goal to win the big game when his handicapped father pulls himself out of a wheelchair and stands under the goal post to inspire his son's faith. There's a prayer-driven gust of wind in there, too.

But the scene that caught the MPAA's attention may have been the chat between football coach Grant Taylor -- played by Alex Kendrick -- and a rich brat named Matt Prader. The coach says that he needs to stop bad-mouthing his bossy father and get right with God.

The boy replies: "You really believe in all that honoring God and following Jesus stuff? ... Well, I ain't trying to be disrespectful, but not everybody believes in that."

The coach says: "Matt, nobody's forcing anything on you. Following Jesus Christ is the decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. You may not want to accept it, because it'll change your life. You'll never be the same."

That kind of talk may be too blunt for some moviegoers, said Kendrick, but that's the way real people actually talk in Christian high schools in Georgia. Sherwood Baptist isn't going to apologize for making the kinds of movies that it wants to make.

"Look, I have those kinds of conversations about faith all the time and I've seen young people make decisions that change their lives," he said. "The reason we're making movies in the first place is that we hope they inspire people to think twice about their relationships with God.

"So we're going to tell the stories that we believe God wants us to tell. We have nothing to hide."

As for the skate ring thing...I can't believe that! How could that offend anybody? Is it discrimiation when they have a 70's night or a Halloween night or when local baseball teams have "Thirsty Thursday" and serve beer - No! People are way to up in arms about nothing and goverments are too eager to please and accomidate a minority of the public's wishes, not the majority as a DEMOCRATIC society should.

As for the movie, I don't see the big deal about that. If it is "overly christian" there may be parents who would want to know that before bringing their children (if their atheists) and I've never seen nudity in a PG movie. I don't think giving it a PG rating hurts anything. I've never had my parents deny me the right to watch a PG movie, they always considered them safe.

As for the end of times...growing up I've heard that over and over again, yet each year more atrocities seem to happen, morality get's worse, etc. I really don't know if it is the end of times, however I'd hate to see things get too much worse.

I feel that I have started this thread in the right place, because of the indications that are in the Bible RE: happenings in the end times. Sure you can believe the bogus tenent "separation of church and state" (that is a lie the enemy wants people to believe is in the U.S. Constitution or some official document. To debate that, please go to the thread " 'Separation of Church and State' a Myth" unless you really feel the need to debate that here, as well.) "Church and state" is SEVERELY intertwined when you think about it - although I am sure some on here won't like to consider that.

I'll venture a guess that you fall under the beliefs of Premillenial Dispensationalism (the view on the second coming of Christ on which the Left Behind series is based.) Every generation of Premillenial Dispensationalists, from the beginning of the movement, have believed that they were in the end times and, obviously, they were all quite wrong.

This phenomenon has grown exponentially in the past 30-40 years, and it is a trend can be explained simply: we are living in the infancy of the information age. We know more about the events going on in our world at any given moment than all the generations before us put together -- therefore, it is much easier to draw parallels between present-day events and the prophesies in the Bible and to come to the illogical conclusion that because of this we must be living in the end times.

It is a common fallacy. Just because we see more, doesn't mean more is actually happening when compared to centuries passed.

The long and short of it: The Bible says Christ will return. It says there will be signs and describes some of them. It also says no one will know the time of his coming. I like that last part the best. It is the part that Premillenial Dispensationalists conveniently ignore in their literal interpretations and sign-seeking practices.

As for separation of church and state… I am a Christian and could not possibly be more in favor of it. School is school; government is government; church is church. The disastrous effects of the integration of church and state are well-documented in the annals of history, and the rational debate on this issue was over before it started. The key word here is rational.

One’s personal relationship with their god and/or their religious beliefs (whether he/she be a teacher or government official) should remain private, and there are very good reasons for this. I mention this here because I don’t plan to look at the other thread.

(Below is an overview of Premillenial Dispensationalism.)

Premillennial Dispensationalism: Standing Scripture on its Head

Premillennial dispensationalism embraced the two traits of Protestantism with a vengeance. Maintaining that the Scriptures reveal seven distinct dispensations (periods of time from creation to the end of the world and beyond), Scofield offered fundamentalism a new "tradition." The scriptures are rearranged in a schema (his dispensationalist model wrenches verses from their native context) where verses from Daniel and Zechariah are juxtaposed with verses from 1 Thessalonians and Revelations. Within this new tradition historical and literary context mean nothing. Today, bible bookstores even sell charts that purport to explain the mysterious ways of God from the beginning of history to its end.

Startling and troublesome claims arise when Scripture is dismembered according to the Scofield schema. Especially alarming is the conviction of premillennial dispensationalists that American foreign policy in the Middle East should be governed by this odd interpretation.

As early as 1916, Scofield claimed that Israel must be reestablished before the end times could begin. The emergence of Israel as a nation state in 1948 was taken as a fulfillment of this promise and proof that premillennial dispensationalism was a valid interpretation. The Israeli victory in 1967 according to end-times author Hal Lindsay marks the beginning of the final generation of man on earth. The Israeli displacement of Palestinian villages (Christian and Muslim) is celebrated as a necessary part of God's plan.

Second, premillennial dispensationalism maintains that wars and disasters will increase before the end. Since premillennial dispensationalists believe that we are in the last days, they argue that all current efforts for peace (especially in the Middle East) are pointless. When asked about Jesus blessing the peacemakers (Matthew 5:9) they respond that these words do not pertain to the "dispensation of the Church." Christians, it seems, are not expected to live by the Beatitudes.

The belief in the premillennial dispensationalism can lead to extreme views. Todd Strandberg, webmaster of the Rapture Ready website (www.raptureready.com), stated that September 11 made him "joyful" that the end was near. "A lot of prophetic commentators have what I consider a phony sadness over certain events. In their hearts they know it means them getting closer to their ultimate desire." (Time, July 1, 2002, p. 44). An upside-down Christianity emerges with premillennial dispensationalism. It creates a skewed view of the Christian faith that welcomes war and disaster, while dismissing peace efforts in the Middle East and elsewhere--all in the name of Christ.

Third, premillennial dispensationalism believes that Israel, not the Church, is the key player in salvation history. Based on a single comment in 1 Thessalonians, they believe that the Church will be "raptured" (taken up into heaven) out of history before the Great Tribulation (an extended period of suffering on earth, and the final battle of Armageddon. Christ will appear at the Second Coming as the Jewish Messiah and at which time the Jews will accept Him either voluntarily or by force.

boone:

I am not associating you personally with the beliefs cited in the above post (I'm not even sure you are a PD) -- I just used it as a basic overview. It includes extreme views held by some premillenial dispensationalists. Just want to clear that up.

-Y
    Last edited by yossarian; 06-22-2006 at 10:53 PM.

just a note, G. Pataki, is one of the ELITE'S, he is one of the Bilderberg's. I was reading and they listed just a few. you will be shocked to find who is on that list! and it is true we are "living in the last days" as to say in years. Bible prophecies are ALWAYS right. i have not read all the posts but i have to go for lunch and just wanted to have this message on here.

But the scene that caught the MPAA's attention may have been the chat between football coach Grant Taylor -- played by Alex Kendrick -- and a rich brat named Matt Prader. The coach says that he needs to stop bad-mouthing his bossy father and get right with God.

The boy replies: "You really believe in all that honoring God and following Jesus stuff? ... Well, I ain't trying to be disrespectful, but not everybody believes in that."

The coach says: "Matt, nobody's forcing anything on you. Following Jesus Christ is the decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. You may not want to accept it, because it'll change your life. You'll never be the same."

That kind of talk may be too blunt for some moviegoers, said Kendrick, but that's the way real people actually talk in Christian high schools in Georgia. Sherwood Baptist isn't going to apologize for making the kinds of movies that it wants to make.

"Look, I have those kinds of conversations about faith all the time and I've seen young people make decisions that change their lives," he said. "The reason we're making movies in the first place is that we hope they inspire people to think twice about their relationships with God.

"So we're going to tell the stories that we believe God wants us to tell. We have nothing to hide."

I agree with the PG rating and am confused by the big deal you're making out of this. The MPAA's decision is not the work of Satan; it is the work of common sense.

boone,

Ask yourself the following question and answer it honestly: Would you be comfortable with your kid watching a movie in which a football coach is raised to Job-like inspirational status only to begin sharing his Muslim faith with the young players?

I'm not saying they don't have every right to make the movie -- all I'm saying is that the MPAA's suggestion of "parental guidance recommended" is completely justified. The attempt to make martyrs out of these movie-makers because they didn't get a G rating is utterly ridiculous.
    Last edited by yossarian; 06-24-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Two things...

1. Since nobody knows when Christ is to return (except The Father and He ain't tellin') I suggest we not worry about it and just try to lead a good life.

2. Movie ratings explained:
    G = Good
    PG = Pretty Good
    PG-13 = Pretty Good if you're 13
    R = Real Good
    X = Extra Good
    XXX = Really Extra Good

:rolleyes:

The owners of Skate Time 209, Len and Terry Bernardo recently received a stern letter from the human rights office warning that having a “Christian” skate time violates Human Rights Law 296.2. The law says that no business can discriminate against a person because of race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, etc.

Human Rights official Gina Lopez told the Bernardo’s that their Christian skate time “apparently denies or at a minimum, discourages non-Christian patronage” and “constitutes prima facie violation” of the Human Rights Law. Lopez has given them ten days to respond to the charges.

Human Rights groups play a vital role in the world as a cheque against blatant violations of personal rights. By the same token, their overwhelming passion for the causes they represent steers them toward extremism and irrational behavior at times. This skating rink situation is a prime example of how good intentions, led by unbridled stupidity, can result in the same kinds of abuse for which the organization was created to arrest.
    Last edited by yossarian; 06-24-2006 at 06:00 AM.

2. Movie ratings explained:
    G = Good
    PG = Pretty Good
    PG-13 = Pretty Good if you're 13
    R = Real Good
    X = Extra Good
    XXX = Really Extra Good
    HA! Nice key. :D

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    Human Rights groups play a vital role in the world as a cheque against blatant violations of personal rights. By the same token, their overwhelming passion for the causes they represent steers them toward extremism and irrational behavior at times. This skating rink situation is a prime example of how good intentions, led by unbridled stupidity, can result in the same kinds of abuse for which the organization was created to arrest.
    These contests are carefully planned and elaborate assaults designed by the Christian Right. Media clowns like Rev. Louis Sheldon are pushing trivial issues like this one into the national spot light in hopes of making a mockery of any group that would respond to them.
    Another other feature of this culture war initiated by the RR is connected to the old adage ‘ If you throw enough Sh!t against the wall some of it will stick!’
    The RR has several million sh!t slingers and they expect to win some of these battles and possibly the ‘war’ by getting some of Sh!t to stick. It is clearly a war waged as a war of attrition intended to wear down civil rights groups and our local and federal legislatures with psychotic legal arguments.
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 06-24-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Did boone go on vacation?

Just to add to this thread, there was the highschool student that last week had her microphone cut off during her graduation speech, when she sited her belief in Jesus Christ as being a source of inspiration to her achievments.

The so called seperation of church and state, is something that on the surface, I dont have a problem with. But this incident goes too far. It is censorship and a violation of that girls right to freedom of speech. This is a case of an individual expressing their thoughts and feelings, not the states sponcership of such.

The fact that the ACLU supports the schools decision to cut her mic, is exactly what I expected from them because it was Cristianity that was being censored.

LOL- that's funny :) I've been gone ssssssooooooooooo long...did ya miss me???

Unless it's an affirmative...do not put in a reply. LOL

Seriously though, sometimes I read through threads, and ponder a while before adding/replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Just to add to this thread, there was the highschool student that last week had her microphone cut off during her graduation speech, when she sited her belief in Jesus Christ as being a source of inspiration to her achievments.

The so called seperation of church and state, is something that on the surface, I dont have a problem with. But this incident goes too far. It is censorship and a violation of that girls right to freedom of speech. This is a case of an individual expressing their thoughts and feelings, not the states sponcership of such.

The fact that the ACLU supports the schools decision to cut her mic, is exactly what I expected from them because it was Cristianity that was being censored.

"not the states sponcership of such."?????
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AGAIN. THE GIRL DID IT IN DEFIANCE AFTER SHE WAS TOLD IN ADVANCE THAT THE SCHOOL WOULD NOT ALLOW PROSELYTIZING IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!!

Student’s microphone cut after preaching Christianity in graduation speech

NEVADA — A student had her microphone cut off during a speech to her graduating class last week after administrators say she began proselytizing.

“In accordance with our school district procedures, students invited to speak are required to submit their speeches for prior approval,” said Pat Nelson, a spokeswoman for Clark County School District. “Divergence from the speech will result in [the microphone] being cut off and that’s exactly what happened.”

The problem, Hoffman said, was when McComb began quoting verses from the Bible and going into specifics about her Christian faith.

“It only became a problem when that language was proselytizing, quoting passages and being more aggressive in an apparent attempt to convert others to her religion,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman said the district is required to restrict student speech that may violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

“The district uses taxpayer money to produce the graduation ceremony,” Hoffman said. “It invites the diverse public to attend the ceremony and when it does so it assumes a responsibility to ensure that the religious views of student speakers are not imposed on the audience.”

FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE
    http://www.splc.org/newsflash.asp?id=1292&year=