+ Reply to Thread

Atlantic Finance Group?

I found this job on Career Builder (not spam, an actual posted job) and am interested to get some opinions before charging in. Since it seems more than a little sketchy to me, but a google search reveals little.

The company is Atlantic Finance Group, the domain is afg-usa.biz. The job almost sounds like money laundering to me, even if it isn't a scam I'm not sure this is 100% legal.

From their page:

Working Process brief description:
    1) We inform you about money transfer from our clients to your account (you have to check your e-mail account for our transfer notifications at least twice a day(4-5 times per day recommended), if you don`t have this opportunity at the moment, we have to discuss the regular time of the transfers beforehand); The usual time of the transfers is 9-10 am GMT;
    If it is your additional work, you have to send us your daily timetable (when do you start working, have a break and when finish). If not, just let us know when are you available ; we have to combine your work time according to the work time of the bank;
    2) 95% of the withdrawed sum of this money you should transfer to our verified clients(primarily web designers, programmers etc.) via Western Union, MoneyGram etc. according to our detailed transfer instructions.
    the rest 5% of the sum - is your compensation;
    3) Just after you have transferred the money to our clients, please contact your personal manager via e-mail (confirmation of the transfer) and let us know all the details of your Western Union(or Money Gram)transfer (MTCN).
    4) All procedures have to to take 1-2 hours, because we have to provide and verify the safety of our clients` money (we have to inform them about all our actions).
    From their FAQ:

FAQ

1. Is it free to register in your system?
    Yes, it is absolutely free..

2. Are there any start up costs involved. Will I have to pay for something out of my own pocket?
    No. This is not a sales gimmick, MLM or "Get rich quick" scheme requiring you to pay setup fees or sign up to a mailing list. This is a job requiring only limited amounts of your time. All your charges will be prepaid. We don't recommend you to participate IN ANY ACTIVITY if any setup fees are required. You WON'T pay for something from your own pocket.

3. Is this a legitimate company? Do you have an office in the United States? Do you have all licenses required to provide this kind of financial services.
    Absolutely.
    The company was incorporated in Stone Mountain,GA on 06/12/1996.

Chief Executive Officer – Paul Brightman
    We're in business since 1998 and proved to be successful and profitable corporation. We do not hide any information about our corporation, not even information about our assets and income (check out d&b listings).

We are registered with S.W.I.F.T
    Registration number: 50EN12UK
    License number(MT - Money Transmitter): 25UNUK501604. License valid in 47 states, except Alaska, Hawaii and Montana.

HEADQUARTERS:

1440 Southland Point
    Stone Mountain,GA
    USA
    Phone(fax): 678-302-7580
    4. Do I need any papers to begin my work?
    Yes, you will receive your Independent Contractor Agreement to sign and fax it back to us.

5. I don't want to use my existing bank account to work with your company. Can I just open an another one?
    Sure. You can open a new bank account(zero-balanced) to work with the company. It's absolutely safe.

6. I have my already established low-balanced bank account . Can I just use this account to process your payments?
    Yes. You can.

7. How much money I will earn(avg) with the company?
    We don't promise you thousands.It's real money for real work(you will be in touch with your bank, you will fill out paper forms,you will prepare weekly reports etc.) In your first 3 months you will receive 2-3 transfers every week. For example(avg), in one given week you receive 3 transfers to process($900.00 , $1,200.00 and 1,900.00). Your commission for this week will be $200(5%). This money will be paid immediately(deducted from a total amount). Your first 3 months is your trial(probation) period. It's very important for us to see how you will handle this work. If we are satisfied with the quality of your work, the number of transfers will be increased(amounts will be increased as well).

8. OK. I am ready to open a new bank account. What banks do you recommend to open accounts with? How long does it takes? What type of banking account is better to open?
    For our US Representatives We recommend Bank Of America, Citibank or Wells Fargo. They provide the best service. But you can use any other US bank or Credit Union as well. The type of account you need to open is Personal Checking Account(any type). We recommend to open a new bank account by visiting their local branch. It's faster.

9. We don't have these banks(branches) in my area, What to do? Can I use my account opened with our local bank or credit union?
    Sure, you can use any local bank or credit union to process our payments.

10. Is it necessary to enroll into online banking with my bank?
    No, It isn't necessary. You can check your balance over the phone.

11. I have a savings bank account. Can I use it to process payments?
    Yes you can. But your activation in this case will be delayed. The number of transfers will be reduced as well. That's why we recommend you to use a checking account.

12. What is the economic sense of this work? Where your transfers are coming from? Do you verify your clients?
    Have you ever heard about outsourcing and offshore programming? Outsourcing occurs when a firm subcontracts a business function to an outside supplier. This practice has been common within the U.S. economy for some time. (Witness the rise of large call centers in the rural Midwest.) The reduction of communication costs and the standardization of software packages have now made it possible to outsource business functions such as customer service, telemarketing, and document management. Other affected professions include medical transcription, tax preparation, and financial services. The numbers that are bandied about on offshore outsourcing sound ominous. The McKinsey Global Institute estimates that the volume of offshore outsourcing will increase by 30 to 40 percent a year for the next five years. Forrester Research estimates that 3.3 million white-collar jobs will move overseas by 2015. According to projections, the hardest hit sectors will be financial services and information technology (IT). In one May 2003 survey of chief information officers, 68 percent of IT executives said that their offshore contracts would grow in the subsequent year. The Gartner research firm has estimated that by the end of this year, 1 out of every 10 IT jobs will be outsourced overseas. Deloitte Research predicts the outsourcing of 2 million financial-sector jobs by 2009.
    The problem is the most convenient way to receive money for our European Clients(Programmers and developing companies) is via Western Union Money Transfer(or Money Gram). It's much faster, there are no additional taxes for these types of payments in Europe. US employer usually prefers bank transfer(or check). It usually takes 1-2 months to cash US checks in Europe. We verify carefully each other and performing our job as intermediary beetwen these two clients.

13. Do I pay taxes? Are these amounts have to be reported to the IRS by my bank?
    You are working as an independent contractor for us. You will claim your income(5%) as well as your expenses; you will receive a 1099 from AFG LLC. at the end of the year. According to Federal Laws ,as far as every amount is not more than $10,000.00 these transfers WILL NOT be reported to the IRS. You will claim your income by yourself.

14. How much time should I wait for the first transfer?
    It depends on quantity of financial operations during the period. You will receive your first transfer within 5-10 business days after your registration. Delays are possible.

15. Where do you send these transfers?
    You send it to the country or state(Domestic transfers), where our customer is located. Every client is verified. Our clients are primarily European web designers, programmers etc. who prefer to receive a paycheck from their employer via Money Gram or Western Union.

16. Why don't you use your own(corporate) Bank of America bank account to process these payments? Why to pay a commission to individuals?
    There are a lot of nuances and reasons for this. The main reason: In the most of European Countries every payment from a foreign corporation has to be reported to their Gov. Tax Services. Our clients just prefer to receive these payments from individuals and report it by themselves. We don't help these european people to avoid taxes we just help these IT people to receive their money fast(no need to cash US checks 1-2 months anymore).That's our job.

17. How often and what sums will I receive?
    It depends on money turnover on the market and on speed of your work. Our clients receive from $600.00 and up to $10,000.00
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Re: Atlantic Finance Group?

well, here's one major warning sign:

their license number is the same in the USA and the UK, what a coincidence

here's a cached webpage from the Farsight Finance Group

ABOUT THE COMPANY
    FF group is one is a leading retailer of financial services, including check cashing, money remittance and wire transfer services. We provide a variety of check cashing services throughout the USA and Europe for almost 8 years. During these years we gained valuable experience and trust of our clients. Our people are focused on you and your specific requirements and concerns. They have the knowledge and experience to evaluate your needs, and the decision-making authority to provide solutions quickly and efficiently. At Farsight Finance you're the center of attention… and your financial well being is our first priority. The Company focuses on serving distant consumers, many of whom seek alternatives to traditional banking relationships in order to gain immediate access to their funds for financial and franchising services.

About our company FFG is a registered trademark and is maintained by Farsight Finance Group. (registration # 44870000132). The company was incorporated in Covington,Cheshire on 06/12/1996.

Chief Executive Officer – Paul Brightman
    We're in business since 1998 and proved to be successful and profitable corporation. We do not hide any information about our corporation, not even information about our assets and income (check out d&b listings).

We are registered with S.W.I.F.T
    Registration number: 50FF12UK
    License number(MT - Money Transmitter): 25UNUK501604. License valid in England, Wales,Scotland and Nothern Ireland.

US Branches

Pacific Branch

Farsight Finance(Pacific)
    1185 Monroe Street
    Salinas,CA
    USA
    Phone(fax): 831-796-7505
    farsight-inc@consultant.com

Atlantic Branch
    Farsight Finance(Atlantic)

1440 Southland Point
    Stone Mountain,GA
    USA
    Phone(fax): 678-302-7580
    farsight-inc@consultant.com

Business with us is business with the best!

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

didn't someone once say there are no coincidences?

About our company AFG is a registered trademark and is maintained by Atlantic Finance Group LLC. (registration # 44870000132). The company was incorporated in Stone Mountain,GA on 06/12/1996.

About our company FFG is a registered trademark and is maintained by Farsight Finance Group. (registration # 44870000132). The company was incorporated in Covington,Cheshire on 06/12/1996.

embersyc:

can you post a link to that job on Career Builder?

This was the actual job applied to, which they claimed was already filled:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeek...D6M7NZG5TDB56N

how did you get to the Atlantic Finance Group from X-Raleigh Resources?

thanks

That I'm curious about to... I'm treating this like a scam and ignoring all further contact from these people, I was already extremely skeptical.

did you submit a resume to X-Raleigh Resources and then get contacted by AFG?

X-R looks fishy as well -- phone numbers posted from WA and ID and neither one is in service

I'd like to report this to CB and other sources -- I'm annoyed that CB (and maybe other sites) has allowed their site to become a playground for scam artists -- who knows what they might do with personal info after collecting resumes under false pretenses, in addition to wasting our time and stealing some people's money

please share whatever info you can -- email or PM if you like

thanks

Yeah, I applied through Career Builder and then recieved this email, strangely from elizabeth@footrecruiting.biz

Reply-To : ptjobs@footrecruiting.biz
    Sent : Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:47 PM
    Subject : Re: Your Job Application

Dear Applicant,

Unfortunately the position you applied for is no longer available

-------------------
    We have one more verified part-time vacancy available in your area:

-Payment Processing Assistant(at home/part time) . Independent Contractor.

No experience required. Light training included.

To know more about this position, requirements etc. please visit our client's
    http://www.afg-usa.biz/-page=careers.htm
    FAQ and Testimonials:
    http://www.afg-usa.biz/faq.htm

---ATTENTION---
    It is necessary to fill out Atlantic Finance Group LLC. form to apply
    (http://www.afg-usa.biz/-page=careers.htm).
    Please write down your Job Offer Verification Number: FRR0516200617US
    You will need this number when you apply.
    ---ATTENTION---

EMPLOYER STATUS: VERIFIED
    JOB STATUS: VERIFIED

You will be contacted by your future employer directly within 3-7 business days.

Best Regards,
    Liza Brooks,
    Foot Recruiting
    ptjobs@footrecruiting.biz

AFG appears to have links with Russia

several things popped up including:

IP Address: 81.3.137.196 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location: RU(RUSSIAN FEDERATION)
    DMOZ no listings
    Y! Directory: see listings
    Web Site Title: Atlantic Finance Group LLC
    Data as of: 14-Jun-2005

I applied for the same job it sounds like. I searched for the addresses and the one in GA can't be found and the one in CA looks like it is for an apartment building. I could not find them on S.W.I.F.T either. There is no listing on the Better Businness Bureau website either. Maybe the should be reported there too.

mission accomplished: it appears Career Builder has removed the XRR ads

the State of Georgia's site had no record of that "incorporated" business as well

they'll pop up with another name -- that's why this site is so valuable

My husband applied for that position and received word that he was "hired". Since I am so skeptical about anything on the net, I decided to check them out. The first thing I did was check out the BBB and there was no listing for them. That made me more curious. After surfing a bit, I found this thread and it was definately the answer that I needed. Hard to believe that they can get away with that!

Thank God for this forum! I too received an email from this business stating that I was given the job, but I was very skeptical. Now, I know it's a scam.