+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Let's make Atheism a religion!

Quote Originally Posted by eugene66 View Post
    NO.

Words are man made and have no clear definitions. If there was a God then God would not have a "word"

I think God spoke words to men, as attested to by OT prophets. Also, assuming Jesus was God, He spoke Hebrew words. I agree however, words cannot convey accurate meanings about God.

It is my belief that extraordinary events related to God really happened to Israel. What they wrote however were not accurate depictions of those events.

"It happened but not that way."

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    So, are you saying, there is no god? Just trying to understand your position here.
    God is so much in your face and part of you that it is not possible to miss it....for those who look the way I do.

One can say "there is no God" and I will understand that too because when you are a fish in the ocean trying to find this thing called 'water' you might never find it.

But when you relax into life you might stumble upon a perception, Ahhh water!

But I d not believe in a god with a personality and an ego that could be offended in any way. That sounds more lake a boss than a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I think God spoke words to men, as attested to by OT prophets. Also, assuming Jesus was God, He spoke Hebrew words. I agree however, words cannot convey accurate meanings about God.

It is my belief that extraordinary events related to God really happened to Israel. What they wrote however were not accurate depictions of those events.

"It happened but not that way."
    I don't know if you ever read anything written by Zacharia Sitchin.

If you never have I would suggest "The lost book of Enki" because it kind of brings the whole concept of all his ten or so other books together.

For me that book explains the OT and a lot of what happened there in a more realistic fashion. It is a dictation from one of those 'gods' who were influential back then. Written in clay.

I really do not Believe in a god that says "But the lord your god is a Jealous god" Those are human frailties. And therefore that god will punish you for making things that represent things.

Our whole life and scholastic system is based on things that represent things. These words represent what I am saying. It is NOT those things.

Neither do I believe in one that not only condones war but also takes sides in them and manipulates the universe for his favorites to win a war.

A mono God should be god of all. Why would he order one part of his creation to wipe another part out? Unless he was like a sadistic kid with an ant farm.

Unless you have to believe that a perfect god can make 'mistakes' and in all his power then orders his people and traumatises them with war.

It does not make sense to me.

Therefore I believe that "god of all that is" is bigger than the gods of the OT who had words, rule books and penalty systems.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

God is so much in your face and part of you that it is not possible to miss it....for those who look the way I do.
    This statement has no value or truth in logic.

One can say "there is no God" and I will understand that too because when you are a fish in the ocean trying to find this thing called 'water' you might never find it.
    Again, nice sentiment, but no value or truth in logic.

But when you relax into life you might stumble upon a perception, Ahhh water!
    Let me guess, you've read Deepak Chopra? He has nothing either. Nothing more than an emotional desire to believe there is a higher power. Don't evidence crowd you judgment.

But I d not believe in a god with a personality and an ego that could be offended in any way. That sounds more lake a boss than a god.
    This is an intellectual cop out.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    This statement has no value or truth in logic.

Again, nice sentiment, but no value or truth in logic.

Let me guess, you've read Deepak Chopra? He has nothing either. Nothing more than an emotional desire to believe there is a higher power. Don't evidence crowd you judgment.

This is an intellectual cop out.
    Well whatever floats your boat dude.I don't really know what you are on about here.

This is my experience and my attempt to put it in words. I don't expect everyone to get it.

Unfortunately words end at a place where the only way to really know the rest is to experience it yourself. The 'proof' you need for your personal convictions will also make sense only to you, and people who had similar experiences around the concept

I don't think the or intellectual part is so hard to understand but then that's only me. If my explanation does not do it for you then you are welcome. Thank you for your attention at least you gave it a shot.

I am not in the mood to pull the Bibles OT apart to prove to anyone how false its god is today. Maybe some other day.

When it comes down to where we are now every one will have their own individual understanding of how they experience and know things according to what they learned understood and also experienced.

I will tell you one thing though. There are many intelligences in life and they don't all work with words. Some like emotion for example you will only know through experience.

I am aware of something grander than all of us. It does not use words to communicate, words help though because every word is a picture. But this works better with images and emotion and it works for me.

Philosophy psychology and metaphysics? I read walls full of bookshelf on those topics. I know Deepak and many more. They are all correct, but each in their own context or their own type of 'mythology' as I like to call it.

why would you bring up the word "mythology" in an attempt to explain your beliefs?
    huh, amazing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by conspiracytheory View Post
    why would you bring up the word "mythology" in an attempt to explain your beliefs?
    When we try to explain what cannot be explained in words we use mythology to give it symbolic meaning.

Religious history for example is mythology to me. It is not literal but rather a picturesque way to convey what cannot be understood mentally.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

When we try to explain what cannot be explained in words we use mythology to give it symbolic meaning.

Religious history for example is mythology to me. It is not literal but rather a picturesque way to convey what cannot be understood mentally.
    What you call non-literal and picturesque I think anyone rational would call "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    What you call non-literal and picturesque I think anyone rational would call "wrong".
    Cannot help it when one does not have an imagination. Was it Einstein who said imagination is the yardstick for genius?

Without imagination thinking becomes kinda two dimensional mathematics. Boring

Let it be "wrong" then if that is their limitation.

I support your assertion, mythology is the past, a portrayal of ancient beginnings and interpretations of humankind. Back then, humans weren't social scientists. They wrote stories, interpreted events, and created mythologies.

Ignore myths and you ignore the past.

I support your assertion, mythology is the past, a portrayal of ancient beginnings and interpretations of humankind. Back then, humans weren't social scientists. They wrote stories, interpreted events, and created mythologies.

Thank you.

When we move into abstract claims like God or Love then words fall short. So we use poetic ways to explain the unexplainable.

I find that I am often dealing with seemingly uneducated people who don't know the definitions of words on this forum. Or maybe the language changed and I am the dunce.

Whatever I say, they seem to understand something else. Now I know that English is a living language that changes but don't tell me it has changed so much in the last 30 years that my original schooling goes out the window.

Take mythology for example. Whenever you use the word people think you are talking about some kind of lie or unreality. But when you corner them in a literal argument they always try to back out with "You see what was actually meant with those words was......" and then they throw mythology at you. I wonder if they know that? :spin2:

I have experienced what I like to call "God" for lack of a better word. It was in no way religious. Now if one knew the definitions of those words they would know what I mean.

Example: You don't need a God to have a religion.

Thank you.

When we move into abstract claims like God or Love then words fall short. So we use poetic ways to explain the unexplainable.

I find that I am often dealing with seemingly uneducated people who don't know the definitions of words on this forum. Or maybe the language changed and I am the dunce.

Whatever I say, they seem to understand something else. Now I know that English is a living language that changes but don't tell me it has changed so much in the last 30 years that my original schooling goes out the window.

Take mythology for example. Whenever you use the word people think you are talking about some kind of lie or unreality. But when you corner them in a literal argument they always try to back out with "You see what was actually meant with those words was......" and then they throw mythology at you. I wonder if they know that? :spin2:

I have experienced what I like to call "God" for lack of a better word. It was in no way religious. Now if one knew the definitions of those words they would know what I mean.

Thank you.