+ Reply to Thread

The Broadband Factory scam?

I applied for work at home position here:

http://www.thebroadbandfactory.net/opening.htm

I sent my resume and someon named Roger Donaldson (broadband@oua-corporate.com), email me back saying I qualified for position. He tolded me to purchaase VersaCheck Gold check printing software and ink, but I would be re-imbursed. He also said that I would be paid by printing my own checks. He didn't go into details about what exactly i'll be doing, just get the printing supplies, and email him back when done.

No website, nophone number to reach him, other than to call VersaCheck to make sure my printer was compatible (858-675-1095.

Is this legit? Is it a scam to buy VersaCheck supplies? or something more?
    Last edited by kevin32; 01-04-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Re: The Broadband Factory scam?

You know those checks you get in the mail, for deposit, and you're supposed to send the $$$ to someone?

That's what you'll be printing, for this person.

That way, he can say he didn't print/distribute them.

Stay away from this.

3. 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM

Many websites only try to cheat us so before you join any company you should check its authenticity. As you said there is no information then you need to forget this one and try to search any other legit website.

In December 2010, this "firm" posted job openings for "Office Manager" in many U.S. cities via careerbuilder.com The job description used to be posted @ www.thebroadbandfactory.net/opening.htm

This address now provides a 404 error (not found). However, thebroadbandfactory.net is still @ ip address 64.15.155.196, which (January 12, 2011) appears to be hosted in Montreal. Odd for a "firm" that claims to be in the U.K.

When I first heard from them, they said I got the job and asked for my ID. When I pushed back they said no ID was required. Then they said to buy the software and magnetic ink for my printer. They suggested they could reimburse me via my credit or debit card "which is commonly done in the U.K." I don't think so.

A whois indicates that "thebroadbandfactory.net" domain name is registered by Martin Sims, whose email address is @thevoicefactory.co.uk. Seeing a trend here?

People, it is not ordinary that you would be hired for an Office Manager position without having an extensive interview process. Mr. Donaldson would not even provide a phone number.

Stay away! Big Time!

I now know for a fact that it is a scam. Roger Donaldson, or whoever he is, forwarded an e-mail with someone elses checking account number to print and cash a check upon. I researched this person and found their number and called them. Sure enough, it was not an authorized transaction.
    I hope this Roger Donaldson can be traced and caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcerlein View Post
    I now know for a fact that it is a scam. Roger Donaldson, or whoever he is, forwarded an e-mail with someone elses checking account number to print and cash a check upon. I researched this person and found their number and called them. Sure enough, it was not an authorized transaction.
    I hope this Roger Donaldson can be traced and caught.
    I would like to see these types caught also, I just today received Roger Donaldsons email and job offer. I googled the " The Broadband Factory" this is how I found this web site. If any of you would let me know how we can get this .... and send a message. This is my 4th scam like this.
    Thanks mb

Making a scammer's scam googlable is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post and then does not become a victim because you took the time to post.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
    6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called scambaiting. If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, ask questions and learn all about that hobby.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com