+ Reply to Thread

Norway Building "Doomsday Vault" To Protect Seeds

This is pretty cool, well- literally, wayyyyyyy cool...great idea.

Monday, June 19, 2006; Posted: 12:57 p.m. EDT (16:57 GMT)

OSLO, Norway (AP) -- It sounds like something from a science fiction film -- a doomsday vault carved into a frozen mountainside on a secluded Arctic island ready to serve as a Noah's Ark for seeds in case of a global catastrophe.

But Norway's ambitious project is on its way to becoming reality. Construction began Monday on the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, designed to house as many as 3 million of the world's crop seeds.

Prime ministers of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland were to attend the cornerstone ceremony on Monday morning near the town of Longyearbyen in Norway's remote Svalbard Islands, roughly 620 miles from the North Pole.

Norway's Agriculture Minister Terje Riis-Johansen has called the vault a "Noah's Ark on Svalbard."

Its purpose is to ensure the survival of crop diversity in the event of plant epidemics, nuclear war, natural disasters or climate change, and to offer the world a chance to restart growth of food crops that may have been wiped out.

The seeds, packaged in foil, would be stored at such cold temperatures that they could last hundreds, even thousands, of years, according to the independent Global Crop Diversity Trust. The trust, founded in 2004, has also worked on the project and will help run the vault, which is scheduled to open and start accepting seeds from around the world in September 2007.

Oil-rich Norway first proposed the idea a year ago, drawing wide international interest, Riis-Johansen said.

The Svalbard Archipelago, 300 miles north of the mainland, was selected because it is located far from many threats and has a consistently cold climate.

Those factors will help protect the seeds and safeguard their genetic makeup, Norway's Foreign Ministry said. The vault will have thick concrete walls, and even if all cooling systems fail, the temperature in the frozen mountain will never rise above freezing due to permafrost, it said.

While the facility will be fenced in and guarded, Svalbard's free-roaming polar bears, known for their ferocity, could also act as natural guardians, according to the Global Diversity Trust.

The Nordic nation is footing the bill, amounting to about $4.8 million for infrastructure costs.

"This facility will provide a practical means to re-establish crops obliterated by major disasters," Cary Fowler, the trust's executive secretary, said in a statement, adding that crop diversity is also threatened by "accidents, mismanagement and shortsighted budget cuts."

Already, some 1,400 seed banks around the world, most of them national, hold samples of their host country's crops.

But these banks are vulnerable to shutdowns, natural disasters, war and lack of funds, said Riis-Johansen.

Storing duplicate seeds in the Svalbard vault is meant to offer a fail-safe system for the planet.

The idea of a global seed bank has been around since the early 1980s, but unresolved issues, such as ownership rights to genetic material, stalled it until the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization adopted the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture in 2001.

While Norway will own the vault facility, countries contributing seeds will own the material they deposit -- much as with a bank safe deposit box. The Global Crop Diversity Trust will help developing countries pay the cost of preparing and sending seeds.

From cnn.com

Re: Norway Building "Doomsday Vault" To Protect Seeds

so who ever owns norway.........when it counts.........hehe!!personally....i suspect it's a haven for TERRORISTS/HIPPIES!?that vault MIGHT contain WMD'S!?hehe!!just askin......

Re: Norway Building "Doomsday Vault" To Protect Se

Brent Miller would say it's for the Pole shift in 2012. Why would the U.S. put an atomic clock in the Rockies? Why is the new particle accelerator in Switzerland specifically to study Black Hole Energy - and why won't the experiment be finished until 2012? Why did the Bush family buy 90'000 acres in Paraguay - an area not much affected by the last 3 shifts? Governments know it's coming but can't say as much or everything will stop and fall apart right now. Miller's site is Horizon Project, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    This is pretty cool, well- literally, wayyyyyyy cool...great idea.

Monday, June 19, 2006; Posted: 12:57 p.m. EDT (16:57 GMT)

OSLO, Norway (AP) -- It sounds like something from a science fiction film -- a doomsday vault carved into a frozen mountainside on a secluded Arctic island ready to serve as a Noah's Ark for seeds in case of a global catastrophe.

But Norway's ambitious project is on its way to becoming reality. Construction began Monday on the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, designed to house as many as 3 million of the world's crop seeds.

Prime ministers of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland were to attend the cornerstone ceremony on Monday morning near the town of Longyearbyen in Norway's remote Svalbard Islands, roughly 620 miles from the North Pole.

Norway's Agriculture Minister Terje Riis-Johansen has called the vault a "Noah's Ark on Svalbard."

Its purpose is to ensure the survival of crop diversity in the event of plant epidemics, nuclear war, natural disasters or climate change, and to offer the world a chance to restart growth of food crops that may have been wiped out.

The seeds, packaged in foil, would be stored at such cold temperatures that they could last hundreds, even thousands, of years, according to the independent Global Crop Diversity Trust. The trust, founded in 2004, has also worked on the project and will help run the vault, which is scheduled to open and start accepting seeds from around the world in September 2007.

Oil-rich Norway first proposed the idea a year ago, drawing wide international interest, Riis-Johansen said.

The Svalbard Archipelago, 300 miles north of the mainland, was selected because it is located far from many threats and has a consistently cold climate.

Those factors will help protect the seeds and safeguard their genetic makeup, Norway's Foreign Ministry said. The vault will have thick concrete walls, and even if all cooling systems fail, the temperature in the frozen mountain will never rise above freezing due to permafrost, it said.

While the facility will be fenced in and guarded, Svalbard's free-roaming polar bears, known for their ferocity, could also act as natural guardians, according to the Global Diversity Trust.

The Nordic nation is footing the bill, amounting to about $4.8 million for infrastructure costs.

"This facility will provide a practical means to re-establish crops obliterated by major disasters," Cary Fowler, the trust's executive secretary, said in a statement, adding that crop diversity is also threatened by "accidents, mismanagement and shortsighted budget cuts."

Already, some 1,400 seed banks around the world, most of them national, hold samples of their host country's crops.

But these banks are vulnerable to shutdowns, natural disasters, war and lack of funds, said Riis-Johansen.

Storing duplicate seeds in the Svalbard vault is meant to offer a fail-safe system for the planet.

The idea of a global seed bank has been around since the early 1980s, but unresolved issues, such as ownership rights to genetic material, stalled it until the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization adopted the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture in 2001.

While Norway will own the vault facility, countries contributing seeds will own the material they deposit -- much as with a bank safe deposit box. The Global Crop Diversity Trust will help developing countries pay the cost of preparing and sending seeds.

From cnn.com
    Bill Gates was major fund giver on this project.

The understanding now is that every 12,000 years or so our solar system moves back and forth through the center of the plane of our disc-shaped galaxy. It was recently discovered that the center of EVERY galaxy is a Black Hole and that very large Black Holes such as the one at the center of our Milky Way emit Black Hole energy - both "vertically" and "horizontally" in a thin band like a vinyl record in the horizontal case. It's already documented that the magnetic field surrounding Earth has rapidly depleted in an alarmingly short time recently as much as 25% as of 2 years ago.The wobble in the Earths rotation at the poles (16 meters) has recently stopped. The Poles are pullig away from each other, causing friction between the mantle and the crust; heating the oceans and warming the atmosphere. The depletion of the protective magnetic field opens us up to increased radiation from space. But the real deal occurs when the poles shift 1,000 miles as we pass through the dark ridge of Black Hole energy. Everyone on Earth will fall down as the stars appear to fall from the sky in the rapid rotation. Asteroidial bits that reside there will impact the Earth. The Sun will shoot off flares that will scorch planets in her orbit. The Sahara desert was once a tropical jungle until the last shift. The Mayan Calendar ends in 2012 - the end of time. Not of all time, but the end of the calendar because the impact will be so great as to change the speed of the Earth's rotation and orbit about the Sun - -"a new heaven and a new Earth". The map of the globe will be changed. There is no such thing as an "Ice Age". That was just the old poles melting their ice because they moved to a temperate climate. Bible prophesy is not that far off and there are many other prophecies hinting at what science is now, unfortunately, too late in discovering for us to do a whole lot about. Where the pyramids stable-shaped bunkers in which to ride out the last shift?Other prophecies than the Bible's speak of "souls being taken up during this time...to be savd for re-population after it's over? Hmm...should I use paper or plastic bags...

Yikes. Someone needs to take their meds.

I'm sure that's what they said about Noah. A little over 40 years agowhen I was 10 or 11 years old I had a dream I've never forgotten. It was so realistic it seemed more like a vision of the future than a conventional dream. I was in my back yard when suddenly I was sucked to the ground like steel to a magnet. There was a great pressure on my chest and I could barely breathe. The day turned to night and I saw the stars; the whole night sky, fall toward the horizon. I knew the Earth was rolling over. Then I woke up. The other night on a talk radio show, Brent Miller was the guest and he talked about a prophesy that said "everyone in the world will fall down at once" referring to this event. He's the guy with the Horizon Project. I got weak in the knees when he said that because that's what I experienced in the dream. I don't know if prophesies for-see future or if they're a passing on of past events that have a cycle and it's knowledge preserved to warn of what's coming again. "Ring around the rosy, a pocket full of posies, ashes ashes we all fall down"...a kids' rhyme, or a warning?

*sigh*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentu...inear_momentum

The Mayan Calendar ends in 2012
    Nope.

Turns out that it does go beyond December 21, 2012.
    On the Tablet of Inscriptions from Palenque, there was a one that went to October 21, 4772.
    HASTA LA VISTA
    SEE YOU NEXT PROGRAM

WHEWW! ...anyway this Brent guy on the radio cited as one bit of evidence that governments know about this - the seed vault being built by Norway. Bear in mind that he's produced 2 dvd's to sell to you on the subject. To his credit though, he does travel all around the world and is headed to the Arctic next, so the guy's gotta make a buck.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

BFD!...Every 12 months...I float around the Caribbean on a large Ark type vessel with a cocktail (well, more that one) in my hand.........mmmmmmm...maybe I should sell DVDs??
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.