+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Who wants to live forever?

I do.

Now I have heard all sorts of counter-points whenever it comes out that I don't want to ever get old or die of any cause. The most obvious is "Well too bad, everyone has to eventually." which is a terribly boring defeatist attitude that doesn't even lead into an interesting conversation.

I think I have heard every other excuse people tell themselves to jsutify their short existence too. I understand the rational behind it, no one has ever outlived the expected lifespan in history, so why should anyone get their hopes up now? Well, thats pretty good advice for people who don't like disappointment. But for some people, expectation is just a means to an ends...its a confidence, a method of achieving what others call impossible.

I refuse to die anytime this millenium and I can't wait to see the next. There is just too much to be done to allow 'nature' to dictate the terms of my subjective experience. It gave us the ability to take some degree of control back, and I want it taken as far as it can. Seemingly mindless mutations and selections have been in control for too long, now is the time of the seemingly mindful experiments and directed changes....

May we all be the first immortal generation.

For more information, be sure to check out www.imminst.com, the Immortality Institute, home of the practical immortalists.

Re: Who wants to live forever?

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    I do.

Now I have heard all sorts of counter-points whenever it comes out that I don't want to ever get old or die of any cause. The most obvious is "Well too bad, everyone has to eventually." which is a terribly boring defeatist attitude that doesn't even lead into an interesting conversation.

I think I have heard every other excuse people tell themselves to jsutify their short existence too. I understand the rational behind it, no one has ever outlived the expected lifespan in history, so why should anyone get their hopes up now? Well, thats pretty good advice for people who don't like disappointment. But for some people, expectation is just a means to an ends...its a confidence, a method of achieving what others call impossible.

I refuse to die anytime this millenium and I can't wait to see the next. There is just too much to be done to allow 'nature' to dictate the terms of my subjective experience. It gave us the ability to take some degree of control back, and I want it taken as far as it can. Seemingly mindless mutations and selections have been in control for too long, now is the time of the seemingly mindful experiments and directed changes....

May we all be the first immortal generation.

For more information, be sure to check out www.imminst.com, the Immortality Institute, home of the practical immortalists.
    In one of my favourite films, Vanilla Sky (a remake of Abre Los Ojos), Cruise says "isn't that the beauty of youth?; Secretly believing that you'll be the one man who lives forever". That wasn't verbatim but oh well it was the drift, can't be bothered looking through the script.
    Also I'd just like to say screw the people who don't like it, it's just amazing and you only don't like it because you are DOODOO HEADS!

Okay I'm sorry to hijack your thread to go on about this movie but honestly it's the best movie ever. I've loved it for years, first saw it at the movies, then downloaded it when I got home from the movies, then got the DVD when it was released. Here are some amazing facts about it that heighten my appreciation so much. Every time I watch it I find new things like these, but a lot of these things I still haven't noticed:

There are multiple occasions when the number (or time) 9:09 is displayed prominently. (David's watch, the chalkboard, a kid wearing a blue shirt that says #9). Crowe has stated in multiple interviews that this is an homage to the Beatles and their song Revolution #9.

If you look on David's prison garb, on his name tag it says "Frozen Guy" in really bad code that is easy to figure out. Also, his L.E. patient number on his cryo tank says PL515NT 4R51MS. If you replace the numbers with the corresponding letters of the alphabet it almost spells out "Pleasant Dreams". The computer screen at Beth Israel hospital during David's reconstruction also shows his patient number. Additionally, on the lower left, it spells out "don't wake him up"

When David is getting his mug shot taken, the slate spells out in simple code 'When did the dream become a nightmare?"

There is also the repetition of David's patient account number (30319) multiple times throughout the film (during glitches).

At Davids three day wake there are photos of David with his date of birth and death and the inscription "David Aames. Living the dream."

So many great things...

doodoo heads?..............

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    doodoo heads?..............
    Yeah pretty much the biggest doodoo heads in the entire universe

Strange, i can't even remember half of those locations in the Vanilla Sky movie.. I guess I need to go and watch it again. i only saw it once, and a long time ago...

7. 06-21-2006, 02:48 AM

Reason
    i disagree with myself

I would go a notch below absolute certainty: Absolute liklihood... It is possible.

All we need is for a discovery which allows us to live...10...20.. or 30 years longer than our current life expectancy. As soon as we have that, then we have the basis for a longer extension, and 10 20 or 30 years more time to discover it before we run out fo time.

Seriously, www.imminst.com is a huge online community of people all working together to promote the possibility of the idea, and to help science focus on its development. there are some leading scientists actively participating with the community. It's really cool.

Shane

I'll watch the 1:45 film and post back with what I think. http://www.imminst.org/film.php Cheers for the link :)

the film is great :)

Seriously, I was one of the first members on the forum when that place started (originally it was www.bjklein.com) and I got to know Bruce a bit. Since then though, it has blossomed into a world renowned organisation. Bruce still remembers me though, so I feel special.

I sorta wish I stayed closer and particpate more than i did, but it is very time consuming participating in that place. They do so much.

That film is one of the many culminations of their works, and it is very impressive.

Shane

That film is one of the many culminations of their works, and it is very impressive.
    Shane

Is it about scamming?

yeah, it is a step by step guide on how to go to the homes of little old ladies and get them to give you all of their money on the promise of an eternal youth serum. The serum is of course nothing more than a green cordial, but the stupid old ladies fall for it everytime!
    Mwahahahaha

Kind regards,
    Shane

Biological Immortality

Biological Immortality in our life time is a probability. Science via Embryology, gene therapy, and Nano Medicine will inevitable cure all debilertating diseases known to man including aging in our life time. New knowledge is happening exponentially and once politicians and religious nutbars get out of the way with their nonsencical subjective political agenda laws and mysticisms and let science do their job, immortality will become a lot closer than we imagine.

A great web site to visit is www.kurzweilai.net and if you can purchase the book "Fantastic Voyage" by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman, you will be on the way to living the dream.

We are living in exciting times, and we are at the beginning of an incredible era in Bio-Technology which will revolutionize our thinking as we head into the frontiers of living ten twenty years longer with today's technology and
    30 to fifty years longer as we exponentially develop new inovative sciences.

What will tomorrow bring? immortality personified. And that will be fantastic.

Looking forward to being around in 2525 :D
    Last edited by liberty & freedom; 06-21-2006 at 03:53 AM.

Hehe the people who made that documentary have obviously seen Vanilla Sky too! The video is called Life Extension, which is what it's called in the movie too

LOL. I don't know that Vanilla Sky played a large role in their creative process... Life Extension is a pretty generic term :p

LOL. I don't know that Vanilla Sky played a large role in their creative process... Life Extension is a pretty generic term :p
    But... Vanilla Sky is God, everything comes from that movie! :p Haha no, I know it's probably just a coincidence, but a cool one anyway

I definitely need to see Vanila Sky again, but I thought Fight Club was god.... All good philosophy came from Fight Club. Even the stuff which is thousands of years old....