+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Support Minimum Wage Amendment

I guess if there is any way a Neocon can argue this they will.
    Join Faithful America:

Support Kennedy Minimum Wage Amendment

Today Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA) introduced an amendment calling for an increase in the federal minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour. A vote could come as early as Wednesday.

On behalf of every American who struggles to feed their families and lift themselves out of poverty, we ask for your immediate help by emailing or calling your Senators and urge them to:

Support Senator Kennedy's minimum wage amendment and

Oppose any alternative minimum wage proposal that would help fewer workers and hurt many hardworking people who need overtime pay.

Please take action here.

Re: Support Minimum Wage Amendment

I vote minimum wage should be minimum $15.00 an hour. Every hardworking industry deserves to get paid well for hard work. The blue collar industry deserves a luxurious lifestyle and a great home, not just the whitecollar industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky36
    I vote minimum wage should be minimum $15.00 an hour. Every hardworking industry deserves to get paid well for hard work. The blue collar industry deserves a luxurious lifestyle and a great home, not just the whitecollar industry.

Your a fool if you support that... This would cause unemployment to sky-rocket and more small businesses would go under than you could shake a stick at. The democrats like Kennedy don't tell you things like this, because your vote is more important than the truth is, and more important than a stable U.S. Economy.

Here's option no.2 Go back to the 1980's where the cost of living was much lower. Gas prices were .70 to .80 cents a gallon. Upscale apartments were alot cheaper and affordable. Taking vacations were affordable. Memberships to country clubs/health clubs were very reasonable.

We're just sick and tired of seeing the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky36
    Here's option no.2 Go back to the 1980's where the cost of living was much lower. Gas prices were .70 to .80 cents a gallon. Upscale apartments were alot cheaper and affordable. Taking vacations were affordable. Memberships to country clubs/health clubs were very reasonable.

We're just sick and tired of seeing the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    Grim doesn't like poor people. He would definitely not want to give them a pay raise. Congress has increased its own pay by $31,600 in the last 8 years since the last minimum pay raise, I'm sure he's all for giving the congressmen and women another raise. They are helping us soooo much, you know?

And didn't Bush give himself a $100,000.00 pay raise or something like that when he got into office? Ya, he's been a real backer for the poor in our country hasn't he?

How "Un-American" of Grim.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 06-20-2006 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Grim doesn't like poor people. I am what you would classify as "Poor people" lady mod He would definitely not want to give them a pay raise. If it could be done without major repercussions, I'm all for it. Congress has increased its own pay by $31,600 in the last 8 years since the last minimum pay raise, I'm sure he's all for giving the congressmen and women another raise. Wrong again! They haven't faithfully executed their duties with honesty and integrity, so I say they need to be stripped of any income. They are helping us soooo much, you know?

And didn't Bush give himself a $100,000.00 pay raise or something like that when he got into office? Ya, he's been a real backer for the poor in our country hasn't he? I don't know about the pay raise, but his economic plan sure did revive the country's economy, and the poor benefited as well as everyone else.

How "Un-American" of Grim.

Lady Mod
    Yes... That's me... So un-American that I don't want to see us go into another recession.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Yes... That's me... So un-American that I don't want to see us go into another recession.

Then you should have not voted for Bush or supported the war.

Lady Mod

i need minimum wage increase. i plan on getting my first job this summer and that Premium Playstation 3 and brand new LCD tv isnt paying for itself lol.

BCOP, you just want to buy silly things. For those of us who work for a living, I think the increase would be disastrous. With every minimum wage increase comes a new excuse to push the cost of living ever higher.
    While I agree we all could use a little more money (especially the working poor), during my lifetime I've watched consumer goods skyrocket with every minimum wage increase. If the government would enact price controls, I would jump right on the increase bandwagon. If they don't, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    BCOP, you just want to buy silly things. For those of us who work for a living, I think the increase would be disastrous. With every minimum wage increase comes a new excuse to push the cost of living ever higher.
    While I agree we all could use a little more money (especially the working poor), during my lifetime I've watched consumer goods skyrocket with every minimum wage increase. If the government would enact price controls, I would jump right on the increase bandwagon. If they don't, then no.
    Ah but Scambuster, don't you think that the cost of living has been rising despite a low minimum wage? If government wants to cut the Welfare roles then something about wages needs to be addressed. Give people a real choice. The government isn't going to enact price controls, their business buddies would suffer. So, people ought to be paid enough to be able to afford the inevitable price increases that are coming anyway. Right?

By the way, welcome to my sandbox. LOL.

Lady Mod

maybe grim is REALLY AFRAID for his lifestyle/reason to live if the people of america were given a fair shot at economic bare necessitys.true independence for the prudent individual without the SPECIAL favors of PARTISAN politics.and i'll tell you what.for the innocent/nieve the recession is already here and the depression is just around the corner.i say we ALL RESIST the FIST of oppression no matter if expressed by terrorists or so called patriots!?this country was founded on godly principles and he's an athiest!?what does that TELL YOU!?hehe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Your a fool if you support that... This would cause unemployment to sky-rocket and more small businesses would go under than you could shake a stick at. The democrats like Kennedy don't tell you things like this, because your vote is more important than the truth is, and more important than a stable U.S. Economy.
    I am glad you admitted to that. So when we hear Republicans claim the economy is doing great and unemployment is down, it's because they're factoring in minimum wage jobs. Or you can interpret his comment as saying it's the minimum wage earners who are reponsible for the strong economy, and if they get paid more, there will be less of them, and less labour will be done.

The minimum wage is particularily degrading. When you look at rent, food, and transportation costs, minimum wage is a survival wage where you break even every month. I think that by raising it by that two dollars, millions of Americans will have the chance to do basic things like buy new clothes or perhaps make small investments.

Corporations may suffer a small decrease in extreme record profits that allow them to monopolize things, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

you do realize you just said you work for a living and those that dont get/get a minimum wage raise.......why don't you explain it!?i'm at a loss for words.and you thought you were a scambuster!?it's all relative...........dont cha think!?hehe!!

I hate to admit it, but you're right. Raising the minimum wage so much at one time would be so bad for our economy. People like my husband and I who are struggling as it is (and we don't make minimum wage), work for small businesses and we would not get a raise like the people working minimum wage. Cost of living (food, services, etc.) would go up and the people that got the raise of minimum wage would be back in the same boat they were before, essentially netting the same amount of money, and people like me and my husband would be bringing in the same amount but having much larger expenses. The only way raising it a good amount at one time would work, is if the companies were not allowed to raise the price of their products and that's not going to happen.

Companies aren't going to just take the hit, they raise the price of the products.

I think that minimum wage is one of those things that has to be raised slowly, allowing room for the cost of living that goes up each year, otherwise if you raise it all at one time, the cost of living goes up a lot.

I'm just asking, but what kind of work does somebody do for minimum wage? I've been working since I was 15 and I've never gotten paid minimum wage. I worked in restaurants for several years. I was a hostess for a short time and then a waitress for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I hate to admit it, but you're right. Raising the minimum wage so much at one time would be so bad for our economy. People like my husband and I who are struggling as it is (and we don't make minimum wage), work for small businesses and we would not get a raise like the people working minimum wage. Cost of living (food, services, etc.) would go up and the people that got the raise of minimum wage would be back in the same boat they were before, essentially netting the same amount of money, and people like me and my husband would be bringing in the same amount but having much larger expenses. The only way raising it a good amount at one time would work, is if the companies were not allowed to raise the price of their products and that's not going to happen.

Companies aren't going to just take the hit, they raise the price of the products.

I think that minimum wage is one of those things that has to be raised slowly, allowing room for the cost of living that goes up each year, otherwise if you raise it all at one time, the cost of living goes up a lot.

I'm just asking, but what kind of work does somebody do for minimum wage? I've been working since I was 15 and I've never gotten paid minimum wage. I worked in restaurants for several years. I was a hostess for a short time and then a waitress for the rest.
    That's silly. Raising minimum wage will not result in the raising of the prices of commodities. I'm sure corporations would love to respond that way, but they won't be able to do it in a competitive market.

The reason I don't think raising the minimum wage will result in higher prices of goods is because I think it will have a very tiny effect on corporate profits. We're talking about give these earners an extra 0.2% cut of the profit, if it is even that much.

$15 an hour minimum, and then we'll see the thing you're talking about. I think there is an equilibrium where the minimum can be too high as well as low. I think we can definitely afford to go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    That's silly. Raising minimum wage will not result in the raising of the prices of commodities. I'm sure corporations would love to respond that way, but they won't be able to do it in a competitive market.

The reason I don't think raising the minimum wage will result in higher prices of goods is because I think it will have a very tiny effect on corporate profits. We're talking about give these earners an extra 0.2% cut of the profit, if it is even that much.

$15 an hour minimum, and then we'll see the thing you're talking about. I think there is an equilibrium where the minimum can be too high as well as low. I think we can definitely afford to go higher.
    Sorry, I gotta disagree. I think that companies would feel the little extra pinch and they're not going to just take it, but will raise prices to accomidate.

For a small business with 10 employees working 40 hrs a week, that's $560.00 extra a week, not counting the extra amount they have to match in SS and medicare. The bigger businesses would take a bigger loss (not that they can't afford it, but that's how they will see it).