+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Support Minimum Wage Amendment

Connecticut's minimum wage is already $7.10 (for a while now) I'm chill with that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    The congressman didn't respond back, so we know what their priorities are not focused on. The poor vote. I don't know why they bother, they get the shaft pretty much every time, but I guess hope springs eternal.

Lady Mod
    While I disagree with you completely on the minimum wage arguement, I am 100% behind you on the congressional raises. I believe that until the budget is in balance and the deficit is Zero, Politicians in power to enact these things should ne be given a raise. In fact, they should take a pay cut for not doing what we hired them to do.

Here is why I disagree with your position on minimum wage. The majority of the minimum wage jobs are in the service sector, and most of those are restaurant jobs. The net profit from an average restaurant is in the range of 10-15%. Most wait staff are paid a minimum wage below the federal minimum wage and rely on tips to make up the difference. If they are not receiving enough tips the buiness must make up the difference.

In my main industry, my company starts employees out at $9.00 an hour. This is still above what the proposed minimum wage would be. So many people will say I have nothing to worry about. Well my company nets around 35% and that is used to pay the three partners. Each of us receive 10% of the net from the company and we reinvest the other 5% in the way of bonuses, training, new equipment ect.

He is where the problem lies. We own a business in what is known as the Green Industry. We do landscaping, lawn maintenance, and propery clean ups as our main business. We need dependable, hard working employees and we have a very hard time finding them unless we look to the hispanic community.

Right now, we can hire people who otherwise would be looking for an "easier" job because the difference between minimum wage and what we pay is great enough to come to work with us. If minimum wage went up to $7.25 the extra $1.75 an hour we pay is not enough to attract these same workers. Our starting wages would need to go up to at least $12.00 and hour to compete for the same workers. That little increase in wages means we either must raise our rates, take a smaller salary ourselves (and I fall below the poverty line if you simply take my income from this business), or close the doors.

Raising the rates is not a good option as we are as close to the max the market will bare already. Layingoff employees is out because we still need to get the work done. Taking less of a salary personally makes the return on investment so bad I wold rather stick the money in a CD and watch TV.

The option we are left with is closing the doors and selling the equipment if we are forced to hire in new employees at $12.00 per hour. My business in not unique and many other business owners will experience the same delima.

Here is the kicker, because of out bonus structure and compensation plan, most of my employees make the $12.00 an hour already. Once they work for us they quickly understand they are in control of their paycheck amounts. It is getting the quality people on board that will understand the bonuses and compenation plan will pay them far more then they can earn at minimum wage that is the problem.

It is easy to say we should raise minimum wage. I can not think of a single person I know who works for minimum wage. The few that did for a while did so only until they learned the skills necessary to get a better paying job.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    what year is it now? can anyone tell me? 2006 and making a measly $5.15 but wait, they have to get taxes taken out of that so what are they actually making?
    I challange you to show us anyone who made minimum wage and paid taxes last year. I may be wrong here, but I do not believe you can find someone at that pay grade who pays income taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    Three cheers!
    my first thought is......your an idiot,drop dead!?but then i have to realize.....your a smart idiot,you have to be killed!?hehe!!i guess this explains terrorism in a NUTSHELL!?BUT!?by the way,if you can EXPLAIN to us all WHAT!?and WHY!?there is a .......COST TO LIVING!?i'll just forget the WHOLE THANG!?hehe!!just askin.......
    Last edited by lexx; 07-19-2006 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RegulationE
    It is easy to say we should raise minimum wage. I can not think of a single person I know who works for minimum wage. The few that did for a while did so only until they learned the skills necessary to get a better paying job.
    I know far too many. Even with help of food stamps and medicaid, such as my daughter, they can barely make ends meet. And jobs are so hard to get here, especially for "unskilled" women (women without years of experience in a field or a college degree) that it's heart breaking. And then there is the lack of real public transportation, especially into some of the areas of town where these women and men live.

I spoke with a business owner this morning. He told me he put an add in the paper two weeks ago. He got resume's from everything from flakes to people with bachelor degrees. And this is for a sales position in an Optometrist office. He said the turn over rate is high in most stores. Those with degrees are gone as soon as they find something in their field and those who leave one employer for him are always looking for greener grass or just can't do the job. If fact, while I was there this morning I was visiting with his longest employee and the phone rang, the help was running late. (The store had just opened and I was the only one there with her and it was already 9:00 AM!) She said it happened all the time. Now, how can anyone, even someone with kids be late to work when the store doesn't even open until 9:00 in the morning? That's even after daycares and schools have started. Geez!

Anyway, I degress. I think minimum wage should be increased, at least a dollar. And that it should automatically go up periodically and Congress's pay raises should remain stagnent for the next 10 years. :D

I know in some places it already has, which only shows that state governments are more in tuned to the people of their states than congress is in tune to the voters. Amazing isn't it? Maybe all the states should leave the union, lol. Or we the people should wake up and start voting these people out of office who don't do their jobs.

Lady Mod

I challange you to show us anyone who made minimum wage and paid taxes last year. I may be wrong here, but I do not believe you can find someone at that pay grade who pays income taxes.
    Actually Reg, many employers do take taxes out. It surprised me too. They get it all back in a tax return but once a year is not when they need it, right now is when.

Lady Mod

I know far too many. Even with help of food stamps and medicaid, such as my daughter, they can barely make ends meet. And jobs are so hard to get here, especially for "unskilled" women (women without years of experience in a field or a college degree) that it's heart breaking. And then there is the lack of real public transportation, especially into some of the areas of town where these women and men live.
    Your personalization of this issue makes it tough to address without sounding like I am attacking your family, which is not my intention.

The problem is the "unskilled" portion of the equation. Providing training assistance for those interested is far better for the country and for the individual then raising minimum wage. When I hear stories like yours the first thing that comes to my mind is "Why does this person feel like someone owes them something?" It takes a little dedication and determination to better yourself. I understand times can be hard and it is tough to get training while trying to take care of a famliy. People are unskilled because they made a choice to be unskilled.

I spoke with a business owner this morning. He told me he put an add in the paper two weeks ago. He got resume's from everything from flakes to people with bachelor degrees. And this is for a sales position in an Optometrist office. He said the turn over rate is high in most stores. Those with degrees are gone as soon as they find something in their field and those who leave one employer for him are always looking for greener grass or just can't do the job. If fact, while I was there this morning I was visiting with his longest employee and the phone rang, the help was running late. (The store had just opened and I was the only one there with her and it was already 9:00 AM!) She said it happened all the time. Now, how can anyone, even someone with kids be late to work when the store doesn't even open until 9:00 in the morning? That's even after daycares and schools have started. Geez!
    Raising minimum wage will not elevate this problem. You are talking about people unable or unwilling to do the job and saying I, as the business owner, should pay this person more. Your idea is I should pay someone who can not get to work on time, can not do the job, or is simply using my company as a stepping stone until they can find something else more then they are worth to my business.

This story does nothing to help your claim that minimum wage should be higher. Paying a lazy person more money does not make them less lazy.

Anyway, I degress. I think minimum wage should be increased, at least a dollar. And that it should automatically go up periodically and Congress's pay raises should remain stagnent for the next 10 years. :D
    I will continue to agree with you on freezing the pay of our top politicians. I think they should actually work for room and board only and in the same luxury as the "average" American Family.

I know in some places it already has, which only shows that state governments are more in tuned to the people of their states than congress is in tune to the voters. Amazing isn't it? Maybe all the states should leave the union, lol. Or we the people should wake up and start voting these people out of office who don't do their jobs.

Lady Mod
    Now we are getting somewhere. I have much less of a problem with the State raising it's minimum wage requirement. While it still leads to many of the same problems, it would do a better job of putting a band aid on the problem. If we raised the Federal Minimum Wage to a level that someone could afford to live and work in Washingto, DC for instance, a company in Boise Idaho would be in huge trouble because the cost of living is so much different.

If I do not like the Minimum Wage Requirement in the State of Maine, I could take my business and relocate in the State of Tennessee if I wanted to because the cost of doing business may be lower.

Raising the minimum wage to a point you could live in Rural Kentucky would do nothing for those that live in LA for example.

Leave the minimum wage as it is federally and consider raising it locally if you want to. Develop training incentives that allow the unskilled workers to learn the skills needed to survive in this country.

It has never been a secret that people with higher levels of education get the better jobs. For the most part, unskilled workers (men or women) have made choices on their own that put them in the position they are in. It is wrong to expect me as an employer to foot the bill for their choices. If my company can survive using unskilled and unmotivated employees then I will hire them.

For the record, I have never highed anyone for less then 1.5 times minimum wage and very few at that rate when I had control of the hiring process from top to bottom. I have seen the kid of production you get when you higher people at minimum wage most of the time.

Actually Reg, many employers do take taxes out. It surprised me too. They get it all back in a tax return but once a year is not when they need it, right now is when.

Lady Mod
    Employers take out taxes based on the information the employee provides them. Each year employees are supposed to turn in their W-4 forms that indicate how many deductions they are claiming. While a single person may have a slight amount of taxes with held from their check, they are not going to pay any taxes under the current tax laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I'm stepping out on a limb with this, but in a free society, there will always be poverty. For businesses to succeed they usually have to use the cheapest labor available (and also to fatten their pocket) because that's what the consumer wants. That's why textiles ended up in the south to begin with, now they're going overseas.

I guess communisim had a few good ideas huh?

I'm not against raising minimum wage, I don't know that this is the right amount, maybe small incriments each year would be better?

I will say this, single women that work minimum wage (and higher) also two people with children both working minimum wage (at least in my state) are elilgble for rent assistance, free daycare, WIC for their young children and free or reduced lunch for their school age children. Some of these parents have more income to spare than those who make more money and aren't getting help (after you subtract formula and daycare).

I really don't know how to solve the problem of poverty, my family just like so many other families, is stuggling to make it too.
    so your to afraid/busy to learn!?hehe!!or just afraid to LOSE!?hehe!!just askin......

Your personalization of this issue makes it tough to address without sounding like I am attacking your family, which is not my intention.

The problem is the "unskilled" portion of the equation. Providing training assistance for those interested is far better for the country and for the individual then raising minimum wage. When I hear stories like yours the first thing that comes to my mind is "Why does this person feel like someone owes them something?" It takes a little dedication and determination to better yourself. I understand times can be hard and it is tough to get training while trying to take care of a famliy. People are unskilled because they made a choice to be unskilled.

Raising minimum wage will not elevate this problem. You are talking about people unable or unwilling to do the job and saying I, as the business owner, should pay this person more. Your idea is I should pay someone who can not get to work on time, can not do the job, or is simply using my company as a stepping stone until they can find something else more then they are worth to my business.

This story does nothing to help your claim that minimum wage should be higher. Paying a lazy person more money does not make them less lazy.

I will continue to agree with you on freezing the pay of our top politicians. I think they should actually work for room and board only and in the same luxury as the "average" American Family.

Now we are getting somewhere. I have much less of a problem with the State raising it's minimum wage requirement. While it still leads to many of the same problems, it would do a better job of putting a band aid on the problem. If we raised the Federal Minimum Wage to a level that someone could afford to live and work in Washingto, DC for instance, a company in Boise Idaho would be in huge trouble because the cost of living is so much different.

If I do not like the Minimum Wage Requirement in the State of Maine, I could take my business and relocate in the State of Tennessee if I wanted to because the cost of doing business may be lower.

Raising the minimum wage to a point you could live in Rural Kentucky would do nothing for those that live in LA for example.

Leave the minimum wage as it is federally and consider raising it locally if you want to. Develop training incentives that allow the unskilled workers to learn the skills needed to survive in this country.

It has never been a secret that people with higher levels of education get the better jobs. For the most part, unskilled workers (men or women) have made choices on their own that put them in the position they are in. It is wrong to expect me as an employer to foot the bill for their choices. If my company can survive using unskilled and unmotivated employees then I will hire them.

For the record, I have never highed anyone for less then 1.5 times minimum wage and very few at that rate when I had control of the hiring process from top to bottom. I have seen the kid of production you get when you higher people at minimum wage most of the time.

excuse me but it is so hard to dialog with you because you are so PREDJUDICED and BIASED.......BY YOUR OWN LIFE/and opinions!!hehe!!you think you know who you are,you think you see where your at,and it is PLEASING to you so you have NO NEED to UNDERSTAND any of the UNSOLVABLE ISSUES that seem to ALWAYS plague mankind.wait!i take that back.you have decided to CEMENT in your head the PAT answers that are so widely promoted and circulated because as far as YOU are concerned......they work WELL ENOUGH!?and besides.....no 1 can make you anyway!?cause you are WITHIN THE LAW!?and you are so PROUD of bein an outright ignorant coward that you even think you are RESPECTED for your OPINIONS!?oh!nevermind.......your not ready for me anyway.....hehe!!just askin.........

Obama's gonna play Santa Claus with the minimum wage. He's got no successes to brag about. He cannot talk about a robust job market. In fact, the very fact he's talking about the minimum wage is evidence there is no robust job market.