+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Atheism is a lie

Quote Originally Posted by eugene66 View Post
    I assume you are speaking to me?

Yes I did and I like your reason. You don't add any of the degrading illogical or emotional stiff. Its purely logical deduction and that makes it powerful.

Some of the others also have good arguments but then they degrade it with mud slinging remarks. A good solid point made should stand on its own.

When people begin mud slinging they are sub consciously admitting defeat for whatever reason. Sometimes they are just plain immature by nature, because they haven't grown yet..
    Or they consider the condesending self righteious and pompus additude of some to be insulting.

I don't know about you but when someone walks up to me and calls me a liar I take personal offense.

Or when someone who is furtherest from the ideal starts telling me what I think no matter how many times I say otherwise. I consider this insulting as well.

Or the most common reason is that they said something. They were than kindly corrected 2-3 times and were unable to find a rebuttle.

to borrow a phrase from lady mod.

"When an honest man/woman who is mistaken learns the truth, at that exact moment, he/she ceases to be mistaken or he/she ceases to be honest."

I think most people that were insulted at certain points did the above and were able to return the favour. Cnance is a big boy and we've had the same argument with him 5 times now. If he comes up with a new argument than i'm sure it will be treated with merit.
    Last edited by Spector567; 02-09-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    Or they consider the condesending self righteious and pompus additude of some to be insulting.

I don't know about you but when someone walks up to me and calls me a liar I take personal offense.

Or when someone who is furtherest from the ideal starts telling me what I think no matter how many times I say otherwise. I consider this insulting as well.

Or the most common reason is that they said something. They were than kindly corrected 2-3 times and were unable to find a rebuttle.

to borrow a phrase from lady mod.

"When an honest man/woman who is mistaken learns the truth, at that exact moment, he/she ceases to be mistaken or he/she ceases to be honest."

I think most people that were insulted at certain points did the above and were able to return the favour. Cnance is a big boy and we've had the same argument with him 5 times now. If he comes up with a new argument than i'm sure it will be treated with merit.
    Yeah sorry dude. I am rather new here so I don't actually know the histories. I could have spoken out of turn sorry, but even so, is it really necessary to spice the words like that? Or to insult the guy so blatantly?

I mean if I see its the same old dude with the same old argument then maybe the better thing to do would be to just move on without posting?

Very good quote.
    Absolutely true. Especially the ones who ceases to be honest, just to win an argument.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

What's amazing is, certain people will be shown that what post is just wrong....then, 5 threads later...they trot out the same statement..thinking no one will know it has already been proved incorrect.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Science adjusts its views
    Based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation
    So that belief can be preserved.

Tim Minchin, "Storm"
    "Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved."

-Tim Minchin

I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.

-Isaac Asimov

hackenslash is offline Destroyer of bad ideas. Smasher of canards.

Yeah sorry dude. I am rather new here so I don't actually know the histories. I could have spoken out of turn sorry, but even so, is it really necessary to spice the words like that? Or to insult the guy so blatantly?
    Well, I didn't insult him, because none of my comments were directed at the poster. They were all directed at the ignorant bum-custard he spewed on the forum. I don't do insulting people, but I treat ridiculous comments with the ridicule and scorn they deserve.

I mean if I see its the same old dude with the same old argument then maybe the better thing to do would be to just move on without posting?
    Nope. When somebody talks shit, it's important to challenge it robustly, so that others who come along afterward can see that it's been challenged robustly. People believe what they read on the internet, unless it's shown to be the scientifically illiterate botty-water it truly is. Which brings me to another point, namely that I don't post for the benefit of the poster who I'm responding to in these cases, but for the benefit of the onlookers, so that they can see what reality says while it's sticking the middle finger up to the cretinous drivel presented as knowledge by those who get their scientific information from a 2,000 year-old book written by nomadic goat-herders whose knowledge of how reality actually worked didn't even extend to correctly counting the number of legs an insect possesses.

Very good quote.
    Absolutely true. Especially the ones who ceases to be honest, just to win an argument.
    Indeed, which is the entire point here.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by hackenslash View Post
    Well, I didn't insult him, because none of my comments were directed at the poster. They were all directed at the ignorant bum-custard he spewed on the forum. I don't do insulting people, but I treat ridiculous comments with the ridicule and scorn they deserve.

Nope. When somebody talks shit, it's important to challenge it robustly, so that others who come along afterward can see that it's been challenged robustly. People believe what they read on the internet, unless it's shown to be the scientifically illiterate botty-water it truly is. Which brings me to another point, namely that I don't post for the benefit of the poster who I'm responding to in these cases, but for the benefit of the onlookers, so that they can see what reality says while it's sticking the middle finger up to the cretinous drivel presented as knowledge by those who get their scientific information from a 2,000 year-old book written by nomadic goat-herders whose knowledge of how reality actually worked didn't even extend to correctly counting the number of legs an insect possesses.

[font=Arial][color=black]

Indeed, which is the entire point here.
    True but then what is shit? How can one say without a doubt that something is shit?

Is it not in the mind of the observer?

I have had many revelations in my life and many times what I originally thought was 'shit' proved itself to be good later.

So I am not too quick to say that. I would rather ask the poster a few questions to determine if it really is shit before I continue.

hackenslash is offline Destroyer of bad ideas. Smasher of canards.

True but then what is shit? How can one say without a doubt that something is shit?
    Well, we can say it's shit if it either doesn't match observed reality or it would require a radical and unjustified rewriting of the known laws of the universe in order to be true.

Is it not in the mind of the observer?
    No. Observational reality is the ultimate arbiter of truth.

I have had many revelations in my life and many times what I originally thought was 'shit' proved itself to be good later.
    That's about being in accord with observational reality. Of course, if your understanding of how reality works is flawed, you may well think that what's true is shit and vice versa. That's why we develop critical thinking skills and the scientific method to remove, as far as possible, personal biases and flawed thinking.

So I am not too quick to say that. I would rather ask the poster a few questions to determine if it really is shit before I continue.
    In the case of this particular poster, the questions have all been asked and answered. I understand that this user is not familiar to you, but to those of us who have been around here for a while and, more importantly, tested his ideas against valid science arrived at by diligent mental effort, the judgement of its value is established and shown to be based in valid principles.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by hackenslash View Post
    Well, we can say it's shit if it either doesn't match observed reality or it would require a radical and unjustified rewriting of the known laws of the universe in order to be true.

No. Observational reality is the ultimate arbiter of truth.

That's about being in accord with observational reality. Of course, if your understanding of how reality works is flawed, you may well think that what's true is shit and vice versa. That's why we develop critical thinking skills and the scientific method to remove, as far as possible, personal biases and flawed thinking.

In the case of this particular poster, the questions have all been asked and answered. I understand that this user is not familiar to you, but to those of us who have been around here for a while and, more importantly, tested his ideas against valid science arrived at by diligent mental effort, the judgement of its value is established and shown to be based in valid principles.
    Thank you for making your position so clear.

Thank you for making your position so clear.
    I just relized that I was in fact a poster in question =). (sorry busy week)

Hackslash covered the issue better than I could myself. Just like hackslash I don't necisarrily post for the poster but for the benifit of others who would read the poster. I also post as a test of my own knowledge and ideals. It's far to easy to sit proudly with my own if I never challange them.

Just as Evil happens when good men do nothing.

Ignorence spreads when those with knowledge let things slide because its easier.

That being said if Cnance or others come to ask honest questions. They will recieve polite honest answers. Saldy far too many posters place there own ego in front of knowledge.