+ Reply to Thread

Amelia Earhart finally found?

http://news.discovery.com/history/am...es-island.html

DNA testing begins this week on three bone fragments found on the South Pacific Island of Nikumaroro in hopes of closing the 72 year quest to find out what happened to Amelia Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan.

http://tighar.org/news/

TIGHAR has been conducting a ten year investigation of Nikumaroro and has uncovered period artifacts dated to around the time of Earhart's last flight.

So the question is...if these fragments turn out to be her, what should be the response of the United States?

Given that she was awarded the military's Distinguished Flying Cross, the first woman to be awarded that honor and since her place in the advancement of woman's rights and aviation is so significant. Earhart has more than earned the right to a state funeral and to lie in the rotunda.

Re: Amelia Earhart finally found?

Quote Originally Posted by danrush1966 View Post
    http://news.discovery.com/history/am...es-island.html

DNA testing begins this week on three bone fragments found on the South Pacific Island of Nikumaroro in hopes of closing the 72 year quest to find out what happened to Amelia Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan.

http://tighar.org/news/

TIGHAR has been conducting a ten year investigation of Nikumaroro and has uncovered period artifacts dated to around the time of Earhart's last flight.

So the question is...if these fragments turn out to be her, what should be the response of the United States?

Given that she was awarded the military's Distinguished Flying Cross, the first woman to be awarded that honor and since her place in the advancement of woman's rights and aviation is so significant. Earhart has more than earned the right to a state funeral and to lie in the rotunda.
    That would be fascinating if it was confirmed to be her. However, I wouldn't hold out much hope on the DNA testing.
    The bone fragments yielded nothing and the 'touch DNA' testing performed on artifacts only yielded the DNA of the people that found them. In other words, the samples were contaminated.
    According to TIGHAR their best hope rests with locating wreckage of the Electra in the offshore reef.
    Possible in 2012 when they anticipate having adequate funbing.
    Last edited by PaulM; 12-17-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Damn! Does that mean that the "ST VOY - 37's" is a complete lie????:judges:

Cheers, Pokey

If that DNA test is true, then that's good that they have finally found her, Amelia Earhart is already legendary right? Its like she's been missing for a long time. I bet her family would be really happy upon hearing this news.

I truly hope that this is proven to be her. I would like to have this heroine put to rest and the world have closure.