+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 355

Thread: God or Nature

  1. #1

    God or Nature

    Do you believe that God created the Earth and the universe by intricate design? Do you believe that the Earth was supposedly created in 6 days by God as it says in the Bible?

    or

    Do believe that universe and the Earth all came about naturally.

    I think that the Earth and universe occurred naturally. The God theory doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Knight-mare; 12-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    "The mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
    ...sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight-mare View Post
    Do you believe that God created the Earth and the universe by intricate design? Do you believe that the Earth was supposedly created in 6 days by God as it says in the Bible?

    or

    Do believe that universe and the Earth all came about naturally.

    I think that the Earth and universe occurred naturally. The God theory doesn't make sense.
    I partly agree. I think God created the universe, and then because of a flawless design everything e v o l v e d from there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,557

    Re: God or Nature

    The universe that we currently know of is a fascinating mystery, and we will undoubtedly be extinct as a race and planet long before we could have worked out its origins.

    Whats for sure is that the universe created us, then we created gods as we became intelligent enough to rationalise our utter irrelevance, and I'd like to think before we wipe ourselves out/get destroyed by an asteroid we might abandon such irrational beliefs.

  4. #4
    LogicallyYours's Avatar
    LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,352

    Re: God or Nature

    Came about naturally. There is no proof of god or any god who might have created the universe.

    Cnance, you really want to go with your "flawless design" concept?
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Came about naturally. There is no proof of god or any god who might have created the universe.

    Cnance, you really want to go with your "flawless design" concept?
    Yes, partly because of our many discussions about, you know what EVVVVVVV. I used to believe in God's intervention after the big bang, and I am still studying the data. I just lack the educational skills to make sense out of the science.

    Therefore, rather believing the intervention thesis, I have opted to the flawless design theory. I still think it may have been possible during the period of the dinosaurs, but I'm stumped. My belief is God set up the universe to self-destruct. All of that, of course, is because I believe the universe was originally created as a prison for Satan. When Satan's sentence runs out, things will self-destruct.
    Last edited by Cnance; 12-17-2010 at 09:18 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,557

    Re: God or Nature

    First you say you study the evidence, suggesting you think evidence is important:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I am still studying the data. I just lack the educational skills to make sense out of the science.
    But then you say this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    ... I have opted to the flawless design theory. I still think it may have been possible during the period of the dinosaurs, but I'm stumped. My belief is God set up the universe to self-destruct. All of that, of course, is because I believe the universe was originally created as a prison for Satan. When Satan's sentence runs out, things will self-destruct.
    I have to ask, is there any evidence for any of this? What I'm getting at is the disconnect between you seeking scientific evidence for these events, and the absolute lack of any evidence for the part you absolutely believe - a god.

    I'm not having a go here, btw, I just dont understand at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    First you say you study the evidence, suggesting you think evidence is important:


    But then you say this:

    I have to ask, is there any evidence for any of this? What I'm getting at is the disconnect between you seeking scientific evidence for these events, and the absolute lack of any evidence for the part you absolutely believe - a god.

    I'm not having a go here, btw, I just dont understand at all.
    Well, there is a test. When you or another human can explain the origin of the universe vis-a-vis aliens, superhuman creator, etc., then we have a legitimate reason to dismiss God theories.
    Last edited by Cnance; 12-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.

  8. #8
    LogicallyYours's Avatar
    LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,352

    Re: God or Nature

    If only you applied the same logical process to your beliefs...
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    If only you applied the same logical process to your beliefs...
    I'm not giving up the ship because of a stormy sea. It's kind of like the stock market. When the experts are certain of a market trend, it goes the other way. Since science can't explain the origin of the universe, "God did it."

    You have to admit I have the most bizarre religious theory on the planet. For that, I should get the "Nutcase" award of the year. Do I have a chance, the years almost at an end?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    181

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    First you say you study the evidence, suggesting you think evidence is important:


    But then you say this:

    I have to ask, is there any evidence for any of this? What I'm getting at is the disconnect between you seeking scientific evidence for these events, and the absolute lack of any evidence for the part you absolutely believe - a god.

    I'm not having a go here, btw, I just dont understand at all.

    I kinda feel the same way myself......

    I get a laugh ocasionally with the sunday morning evangilist shows when they say they have "Absolute Proof" of gods existence, and then they quote some 3000 year old text out of the bible as the proof! Lol.

    I believe that god didn't create the universe, but that it was the other way around. Man, due to his ignorance and inocense created god, or gods to explain that which he could not. Now science has taken over and man grows ever more intelligent. The answers are coming and it will be man that does the explaination, not god!


    Cheers, Pokey

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,557

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    Well, there is a test. When you or another human can explain the origin of the universe vis-a-vis aliens, superhuman creator, etc., then we have a legitimate reason for dismiss God theories.
    Hmmm. I think, if you check, it was I who was pointing out your apparent double standards in terms of evidence. Not mine.

    There is much evidence for scientific explanations for all we see around us. There is ... well, none, for any supernatural explanations.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Hmmm. I think, if you check, it was I who was pointing out your apparent double standards in terms of evidence. Not mine.

    There is much evidence for scientific explanations for all we see around us. There is ... well, none, for any supernatural explanations.
    No, I'm talking about the creation of the universe, not e v o l u t i o n since then.

  13. #13
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    Well, there is a test. When you or another human can explain the origin of the universe vis-a-vis aliens, superhuman creator, etc., then we have a legitimate reason for dismiss God theories.
    And... we once again have a God of the holes theory.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

  14. #14
    hackenslash is offline Destroyer of bad ideas. Smasher of canards.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    202

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I am still studying the data. I just lack the educational skills to make sense out of the science.
    Ask questions, then. I have something of a skill for simplifying difficult concepts without over-simplifying them, and I'm happy to answer any question that is put honestly, even to the point of researching it if it's ouotside my sphere of understanding. If there's something you don't grasp, just ask.

    An awful lot of the science can be understood without even getting into the complicated mathematical intricacies, as long as good analogies are emlpoyed. Try it.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,872

    Re: God or Nature

    Quote Originally Posted by hackenslash View Post
    Ask questions, then. I have something of a skill for simplifying difficult concepts without over-simplifying them, and I'm happy to answer any question that is put honestly, even to the point of researching it if it's ouotside my sphere of understanding. If there's something you don't grasp, just ask.

    An awful lot of the science can be understood without even getting into the complicated mathematical intricacies, as long as good analogies are emlpoyed. Try it.
    Thanks, I will not bother you with a question now. I will give it more thought first and narrow down my inquiry. What I am interested in is the possibility of that paradise existed during the dinosaur period. Giving it some thought, I don't suppose that could be documented.

    Assuming that God suspended time, there would be no record of paradise. However, if there was a disruption of activity on some concurrent events, then there might be a record. I think the comet that struck earth about 65 million years ago may terminated paradise. That's a theory I can't prove. I've looked at the period and find no anomalies. However, I lack skills to do a thorough investigation. I'll continue to narrow down my focus.

    I would appreciate suggestions.

    Thanks for you interest.
    Last edited by Cnance; 12-17-2010 at 03:04 PM.

  16. #16
    hackenslash is offline Destroyer of bad ideas. Smasher of canards.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    202

    Re: God or Nature

    The problem with the above is that the molecular and fossil evidence suggest pretty definitively that all of the mammals around 65 million years ago were what we would probably recognise as something akin to modern shrews, or other small mammals. It was the opening of niches previously occupied by dinosaurs that allowed mammals to flourish and achieve the diversity we see today.

    A really good book on the currently accepted (tentatively, to at least some degree, although only within a certain margin of error) history of life is Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale which, while not totally rigorous, does provide a good précis of the material comprising the current consensus. There are minor errors, and once you get back a certain distance, a good deal of estimation, but the estimation is clearly stated up-front, and overall it's a very good read. There is very little polemic content, and what there is is entirely aimed at reality-deniers, rather than theists.

    As for the interest, that is my raison d'etre. I love to teach, only marginally surpassed by my love of learning. In those exchanges I have had of this nature, it has almost always been a two-way street, and I have often learned much from the exercise. It is my pleasure to answer any honest questions you might have.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell

Similar Threads

  1. The Nature of God
    By conserv4ever in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 06:42 AM
  2. Suppressing Nature
    By Yeah Well Fine Then in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
  3. The Nature Of Cowardice
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
  4. Powers in Nature
    By Solve et Coagula in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
  5. war against human nature
    By Whispering wind in forum Government Scams
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •