+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2500

U.S. death toll in Iraq reaches 2,500
    18,490 U.S. troops have been wounded since 2003 invasion, Pentagon says

BREAKING NEWS
    Reuters

Updated: 8:43 a.m. ET June 15, 2006

WASHINGTON - The number of U.S. military deaths in the Iraq war has reached 2,500, the Pentagon said Thursday, more than three years into a conflict that finds U.S. and allied foreign forces locked in a struggle with a resilient insurgency.

In addition, the Pentagon said 18,490 U.S. troops have been wounded in the war, which began in March 2003 with a U.S.-led invasion to topple President Saddam Hussein.

Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed.

This is a developing story and details will be added as they become available.
    Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13337155

Re: 2500

Woooo Hoooo... Oh it's happy day for the left, as another death toll milestone has been reached for you all to exploit in the name of politics.

I'm curious... What kind of shin-dig are you people planning for 3000 deaths? Never mind... Just surprise me when this next glorious liberal milestone is reached.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Woooo Hoooo... Oh it's happy day for the left, as another death toll milestone has been reached for you all to exploit in the name of politics.

I'm curious... What kind of shin-dig are you people planning for 3000 deaths? Never mind... Just surprise me when this next glorious liberal milestone is reached.

And who did you sacrifice to fight in this war Grim? Anyone at all?

Lady Mod

You truly have NO SHAME, do you Grim... :(

Doesn't the fact that 2500 soldiers have died affect you at all? If the only comment you can make about this has to be a political jab at the liberals, I really feel sorry for you.... :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    You truly have NO SHAME, do you Grim... :(

Doesn't the fact that 2500 soldiers have died affect you at all? If the only comment you can make about this has to be a political jab at the liberals, I really feel sorry for you.... :rolleyes:

Certainly it does, but this post isn't for any other purpose than a political one. If it was for the purpose of remembrance or for honoring the fallen, I would have shown the respect it deserved. Notice ianmatthews makes no comment or indicates in any way the feelings that you now attack me for not showing. Look at the article itself and the message is clear. They made sure to interject their opinion of "Hopelessness" concerning the war and also showed nothing to indicate that this was to invoke anything but anti-war sentiments.

Even their last comment puzzles me a bit... It seems as though they want to say to their anti-war/anti-US readers "Stay tuned for more exciting anti-war death counts" and to keep them on the edge of their seats by saying "This is a developing story and details will be added as they become available."

well at least we have his CONFESSION that liberal milestones of his own interpretation are...............GLORIOUS!?hehe!!or........is he just countering his own demented we/them mindset/reason to live/athiest idea with THE SAME!?now that my freinds is TRUE circular reasoning!?AKA.......SPIN!?OR!?.maybe it's just a "SUBTLE" compliment!?what do i know!?......hehe!!just askin.....

Certainly it does, but this post isn't for any other purpose than a political one. If it was for the purpose of remembrance or for honoring the fallen, I would have shown the respect it deserved. Notice ianmatthews makes no comment or indicates in any way the feelings that you now attack me for not showing. Look at the article itself and the message is clear. They made sure to interject their opinion of "Hopelessness" concerning the war and also showed nothing to indicate that this was to invoke anything but anti-war sentiments.

Even their last comment puzzles me a bit... It seems as though they want to say to their anti-war/anti-US readers "Stay tuned for more exciting anti-war death counts" and to keep them on the edge of their seats by saying "This is a developing story and details will be added as they become available."

is that by any REMOTE chance anything LIKE "the war on TERROR will be ENDLESS"!?stay tuned for further FEAR based remarks/with details!?and in the mean TIME! we'll just SPEND what's ever NECESSARY in the name of country and safe and macho(repubs decide)to MAKE you'all secure!?and us rich!?(same bunch and it's about time!?)if it sounds right i'm for it!?i learned a long time AGO not to ask TOO MANY QUESTIONS!?stay alive and stay ahead of the pack!?that's AMERICA!?just askin!?......hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 06-17-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Published on The Progressive (http://progressive.org)
    2,500 dead: How many more?
    2,500 dead: How many more?
    By Cindy Sheehan
    June 14, 2006

On Feb. 1, I was arrested at the State of the Union address for wearing a Veterans for Peace shirt that read: "2,245 Dead. How many more?"

A little more than four months later, we are now tragically marking the deaths of 255 more of our brave and wonderful young American soldiers.

So today, with 2,500 dead, I ask again: How many more?

And with tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians -- maybe even a lot more than 100,000 -- killed, I ask: How many more?

All of their families, American and Iraqi, will never be the same again due to the trickery and deceit of the commander in chief of the U.S. military and his advisers and cabinet members.

And for what?

So Halliburton can get reconstruction contracts and Exxon Mobil can lay its pipelines and charge $3.50 for a gallon of gas?

Over the last year, I've spoken at high schools that have about 2,000 to 2,500 students on campus. I ask them to close their eyes and visualize an empty school.

Only then can they begin to relate to this devastating number.

But for those of us who have lost a son or a daughter or a brother or a sister or a father or a mother in this war, the number one is more than enough.

One empty chair at the table.

One folded flag on the mantel.

One driverless car sitting in the driveway waiting for the finance company to come and pick it up.

One person never coming home.

One broken family that cannot be repaired.

How many more?

How many more of our nation's finest are we willing to kill to enhance the bottom line of the Halliburtons and the Exxon Mobils?

How many more of our young wounded -- 18,000 at this moment -- is it going to take before our country wakes up?

How many more Iraqi babies are we going to allow our leaders to murder before we realize that all babies are precious, loved and mourned when they are killed?

How many more empty speeches and blathering platitudes will we allow our misleaders to utter before they are held accountable?

How many more mothers are we going to watch sobbing over their children's flag-draped coffins before we get out in the streets and demand an end to the immoral and illegal occupation so no other mothers will have to be plunged into a pool of pain?

I had my fill on 04/04/04 when my son Casey was killed in a war that never should have happened.

How many more will it take for you?

Cindy Sheehan is returning to Camp Casey in Crawford, Texas, this summer. She can be reached at pmproj@progressive.org.
    Source URL:
    http://progressive.org/media_mpsheehan061406

I feel for you - and I am truly sorry to hear of your loss..
    I know that no word or comfort can heal the pain it must be for you -
    And still you have such a courage to go out and show your opinion - You are a very strong and brave person.

And thank you for sharing this with us.
    -----

what a life - and is it at all life, that we live?
    - Or just a true living nightmare, "they" are imposing on us!?.

And as you mention, one is too many.. - 2.500 is criminal...

This ongoing nonsense just has to be stopped.
    If somebody wants to fight a war - let them go themselves - we people have our own godgiven beautiful life to nurture - and eachother.

Lets not participate caus' The System is Rotten - it will NOT be Forgotten..

we joined peace as our "human contract" here on earth.. lets live it.

I feel for you - and I am truly sorry to hear of your loss..
    I know that no word or comfort can heal the pain it must be for you -
    And still you have such a courage to go out and show your opinion - You are a very strong and brave person.

And thank you for sharing this with us.
    ...that article was written by Cindy Sheehan, and posted to this board by bairdi (see citation at the top)

On Feb. 1, I was arrested at the State of the Union address for wearing a Veterans for Peace shirt that read: "2,245 Dead. How many more?"
    Just to clarify this, she knew going in that she would be arrested. House rules bar demonstrations in the galleries. Had a conservative member of the gallery worn a pro-war or anti-gay marriage shirt, he would have been removed also.
    Last edited by yossarian; 06-17-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Grim would see me as a leftist, but you may notice who immediately exploited this report for his political agenda within this very thread. Who went on the attack?

Who truly stood to gain political points?

Grim, I just now went and read your response regarding how I supposedly feel regarding the NEWS I posted.

You should be ashamed. Honestly. I have friends and family out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Grim, I just now went and read your response regarding how I supposedly feel regarding the NEWS I posted.

You should be ashamed. Honestly. I have friends and family out there.
    May I offer my apology. I have just read so many threads on the net where the death toll is exploited for political purposes, that it has just worn me thin. The comments I posted about how the original piece was written by Reuters, I still stand by. In my opinion, it was written as an anti-war/anti-U.S. commentary, and not for the purposes of remembering or honoring the fallen.

May I offer my apology. I have just read so many threads on the net where the death toll is exploited for political purposes, that it has just worn me thin. The comments I posted about how the original piece was written by Reuters, I still stand by. In my opinion, it was written as an anti-war/anti-U.S. commentary, and not for the purposes of remembering or honoring the fallen.

not the worn thin excuse again.........hehe!!whatever that MEANS!?hehe!!