+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

"Strategic Research Network" - anyone know about this?

I've been looking for work on Career Builder - and I know there are lots of scams there (no insult to CB cuz they don't really check posted jobs). I've come across the job of "Assistant Internet Researcher" with a company called Strategic Research Network. There are lots of these jobs posted (I get emails EVERYDAY about them) and I was just wondering if it's legit.

According to the job post, there is no investment required to become an assistant researcher. I went to their website (strategicresearchnetwork.com) and they charge a hefty 17,900 to become a Researcher with the option to hire assistants once their business is doing well.

I can't really get a read on the assistant job - not much information about it on their site, only the job postings on CB. Anyone out there no anything about it or get a better read on it than me?

Thanks.

Re: "Strategic Research Network" - anyone know about this?

I see only recruitment info on all pages. But at least they make it somewhat believable.

17,900 to become a member is a lot of money for MLM.

We'll show you how to use your research skills to actually sign up your clients – companies that will be glad to pay you very handsomely, too, because of the increased sales they know they'll be able to generate through your efforts.
    So there is a lot of sales too. And to sell to companies is much harder than to sell to individuals.

They want YOU to pay THEM for a job?
    Get back on the short bus if you do this.

their job ad is misleading too, stating: "There is no investment required to become an Assistant Internet Researcher."

however, after working through some steps, you find this in the FAQ:
    While you pay no investment to Strategic Research Network to become an Assistant Internet Researcher, you will have some expenses. Also, any costs in setting up your home office, if you do not already have one, will be incurred. You will also need to be incorporated. We refer you to national companies that can handle your incorporation and it will more than likely cost you $400-$500. Your ongoing fees will consist of internet and phone bills that will vary in price from location to location.
    so, in addition to an ordinary investment in your home office, you are required to be incorporated -- which seems quite odd for an assistant researcher position.

FYI SRN is affiliated with Health Career Agents (share the same address), which is another recruiting-based business opp

I don't know anything about this yet...but plan on investigating. I looked at it as a researcher but agree the cost is prohibitive!!! I generally agree you don't want to pay ANYTHING to work for someone. However, this seems different. When you pay to become incorporated that merely is one way of establishing your own business. SRN states up front they aren't hiring you. They will contract you. Thus you need your own business. The $400 you pay for incorporation does not go to them. Many internet marketers incorporate their business for tax advantages. Nothing about that piece of it is distrubing to me. I still have a lot of questions though, I will let you know if I learn anything.

I applied for a job with them, but you are right, it's all a scam. Any job that wants you to meet them in a hotel is a bunch of hooey.

No-Cost Information Session TOMORROW in Detroit!

Come learn how you can profit in internet research at a no-cost information session tomorrow at the Detroit Airport Marriott. On-site registration will be available from 9-10 am, with the information session running from 10am-4pm EDT.

Detroit Airport Marriott

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/DTWRM

30559 Flynn Road

Romulus, MI 48174

734-729-7555

Registration 9-10AM

Information Session 10AM-4PM

The information session will explore your lucrative opportunities in internet research. Don’t miss your chance to explore owning your own internet research company as a Researcher or joining Strategic Research Network as an Assistant Internet Researcher, generating in-depth research with no investment.

You don’t want to miss this unique opportunity to learn more about internet research - and how you can start capitalizing on the ever-growing need for tactical business information.

We hope to see you in Detroit!

Strategic Research Network

12977 North Forty Drive, Suite 100

St. Louis, MO 63141

800-790-1533
    www.strategicresearchnetwork.com

Quote Originally Posted by christene
    I don't know anything about this yet...but plan on investigating. I looked at it as a researcher but agree the cost is prohibitive!!! I generally agree you don't want to pay ANYTHING to work for someone. However, this seems different. When you pay to become incorporated that merely is one way of establishing your own business. SRN states up front they aren't hiring you. They will contract you. Thus you need your own business. The $400 you pay for incorporation does not go to them. Many internet marketers incorporate their business for tax advantages. Nothing about that piece of it is distrubing to me. I still have a lot of questions though, I will let you know if I learn anything.
    the incorporation is a complete red herring here - there is no need at all to incorporate if one is operating as a sole proprietor. I work on contracts at various times and for various companies. As for the tax advantages - there are tax advantages for corporations - but they are not going to count for much compared to the cost of keeping the books, the minutes and the other legal documentation required. The tax advantages of incorporation vs sole proprietor are minimal until you reach a much bigger size than running this little scam.

Wow, I'm really glad I found this website.....I filled out an application and was pretty skeptical about SRM considering I was unable to locate any information on the company....I think I will check the SEC...They can't run from them :) I checked the Better Business Bureau I don't know if they're linked with the Better Business Bureau or not.....(But when I tried the page was automatically redirected to the site they have on their website.....Earlier this week I was sent an email stating that I should call and confirm my attendance, well I called three (3) times and was forwarded to an answering machine. (Go Figure)

So, I look at it this way if they're Sophisticated Internet Researchers any information that is good or bad about SRN will automatically be deleted. You guys just saved me a tank of gas and a long day at the Mariott Hotel in Romulus, Michigan.

I had decided to look into this "opportunity" too. When I found the huge fee required to become a researcher, and then found the following information in the assistant researcher FAQ, I realized that this isn't much of an opportunity:

"Can I start as an Assistant Researcher and then become a SRN Researcher?
    No. The money and time invested by a Researcher to train and support a Assistant Researcher doesn�t make that possible. Assistant Researchers are contractually prevented from ever becoming SRN Researchers themselves. Assistant Researchers sign an extremely restrictive, ironclad agreement that prevents them from ever becoming a Researcher, or running a similar research enterprise in the near future. Individuals that come on board as an Assistant Researcher should only have the intent of working as such. "

Also, why would they send an assistant researcher to a company that they specify to become incorporated? My husband, who's a partner at a national accounting firm, would establish a sole prop. for me at a mere fraction of the cost if I decided to work from home as a researcher. Maybe SRN gets a commission from said company.

Anyway, the deeper I delve the more wrong this feels.
    Last edited by swallgre; 07-22-2006 at 06:14 PM.

My Wife and I attended the seminar in Michigan. This is not a 'scam'... the company is very serious about making people succeed... HOWEVER, this is an entrepreneurial opportunity, it is not a job. SRN and HCA are selling information and technology to entrepreneurs who want to inter into the Health Care Recruiting and Placement business. I view this as a company who wants to sell a proven business model, processes and technology to people who see the value in taking what SRN can provide with your drive and ambition as an entrepreneur to boot strap a company in a growing industry.

They are very clear that this is not guaranteed money, get rich quick and that it is in fact a very difficult business. There is also however, a tremendous amount of money that can be made within the industry.

If you are an entrepreneur then you may appreciate the value of purchasing a professional business model, training and technologies to quick start your business... they also point out you could also spend a long time trying to learn it all on your own and with other tools but time is money...

I recommend attending the workshop... if you are concerned if the gas (and hotel in our case) is not worth learning about a company selling training and technologies to start a business within the Health Care Recruiting or Internet Research market then you may not be serious enough anyway.. .

Also,,, they require that you can go 3 months without income from the new business because you will be attending training, learning the business and planting seeds which wont grow right away...

Good luck.
    Brent

Okay everyone, here goes.... Last week I sent in my resume to SRN, got the same responses others have mentioned. But being an aggressive salesman, I called the company to talk to someone and was directed to talk to Amber Adams. She informed me that the 'Assistant Internet Researcher" function was a new thing they're trying out and that they haven't quite figured the idea out yet. Those aren't her exact words so I won't use quotes, but that was what she meant. So I think they may just be throwing spaghetti up against the wall at this point. She then said she would send me a "Financial Worksheet," an "SRN Researcher Business Plan" and a "non-executable assistant researcher contract." The "Financial Worksheet" turned out to be a credit authorization for them to check MY CREDIT. The "non-executable assistant researcher contract" is a Non-disclosure, Non-compete agreement. Below are some cuts from this document:

a) SRN shall provide Assistant with two weeks of remote training via
    Internet based training, teleconferencing sessions, manual
    review, interactive media presentations, and other forms of
    training in providing Internet Research and Research Services.
    b) SRN shall furnish Assistant with support in providing Internet
    Research and Research Services, when requested and as needed, via
    Page 4 of 10
    Internet, email, or telephone.
    c) SRN shall furnish Assistant with access to Internet Research
    training materials.
    d) Assistant shall notify SRN whenever one of the following events
    occur by promptly noting the event in Approved Contact Management
    Software when:
    i) Assistant speaks with a potential Research Services client
    ii) Assistant receives a resume
    iii) Assistant speaks with a candidate on a Candidate Sourcing
    project
    iv) Assistant communicates with a Researcher or another
    Assistant
    e) SRN will make all final decisions regarding Research Services,
    Internet Research activity and Candidate Sourcing projects, and
    all matters as they relate to Research Services.
    f) Assistant will send all email correspondence to potential
    Research Services clients, Candidates, Employers, SRN and
    Researcher through Approved Contact Management Software so that a
    record of the email is made in Approved Contact Management
    Software.
    g) Assistant will commit to working a minimum of thirty (30) hours
    per week with at least ten (10) of those hours being available
    during normal business hours.
    h) SRN will help Assistant complete Research Services projects.
    i) Assistant will not at any time have access to SRN’s research
    software tools.
    j) Assistant shall pay all costs associated with using Approved
    Contact Management Software.
    4) Restrictions. The parties agree to the following restrictions:
    a) Assistant understands that SRN will never accept Assistant as a
    Researcher at any point in the future, under any circumstances.
    b) All materials furnished by SRN are copyrighted. Except for
    Assistant's sole and exclusive use in conjunction with providing
    Internet Research services in conjunction with SRN, the materials
    shall not be sold or otherwise transferred to any other
    individual or entity whatsoever, and the contents shall not be
    disclosed to any third party without prior written permission
    from SRN.
    c) Assistant agrees not to at any time market any kind of similar
    Page 5 of 10
    training program to teach individuals for a fee how to provide
    Research Services.
    d) Assistant shall not tape record, videotape, or digitally document
    any portion of SRN’s Internet Research training.
    e) Assistant is not an employee or representative of SRN in any way.
    f) Assistant will not be involved with any Internet Research,
    Research Services, recruiting or Candidate Sourcing transactions,
    where a fee is not paid to SRN.

Paragraph 7 is about payment to the assistant researcher, but check out 8) and 9):

Contracted Percentage of Research Services Fees. Unless otherwise
    stipulated, SRN shall pay Assistant the following commissions on
    Research Services projects:
    a) Thirty percent (30%) of monies paid to SRN on Candidate Sourcing
    projects where Assistant was involved in locating and attracting
    the Candidate eventually hired.
    b) Twenty percent (20%) of monies paid to SRN on Research Services
    projects where Assistant conducted the Internet Research services
    involved in selling Lead Data.
    c) Additional ten prevent (10%) of monies paid to SRN on phone
    verification projects.
    d) Thirty percent (30%) of monies received on email marketing
    projects where Assistant creates, sends and manages the email
    marketing project.
    8) Reporting and Discovery. Assistant agrees to furnish SRN with copies
    of its phone records, bank documents, and tax records upon request
    by SRN, and furnish SRN with remote access to Assistant’s
    computer(s) via GoToMeeting, web meeting, or a similar remote access
    service at SRN’s specification.
    9) Liquidated damages. In the event it is determined by a court of law
    or arbitrator that Assistant has breached this agreement, Assistant
    agrees to pay liquidated damages in the amount of Fifty Five
    Thousand Dollars ($55,000) to SRN.
    10) Term. This Agreement shall continue for a period of two (2) years
    unless earlier terminated as provided below. The foregoing
    notwithstanding, if this Agreement has not been terminated prior to
    the Expiration Date, the term hereof shall be extended
    automatically, without any further action being required of either
    party, for one (1) year and shall continue to be renewed for
    successive one (1) year periods unless and until this Agreement is
    terminated as provided herein.

ALSO:

This Agreement shall be governed and construed in
    accordance with the laws of the State of Missouri.

My research indicates that the State of Missouri DOES enforce Non-compete agreements.

My primary issues with this company are as follows:

1) Paragraph 4) a) 4) Restrictions. The parties agree to the following restrictions:a) Assistant understands that SRN will never accept Assistant as a Researcher at any point in the future, under any circumstances. This type of business is not geographically limited, and future franchisees (Researchers - people who pay the $18,000.00) will be competitors of the Researcher I as an assistant would be researching for, so why can't I buy in down the road? As long as I don't contact the clients of the franchisee I have researched for in the past, how would I be competing with them MORE than a future franchise buyer? Why they simply don't limit their Non-compete to existing clients I don't know. Why they will never let an assistant become a franchisee, I don't know.

2) I do not BELIEVE that ANY Non-compete agreement can preclude a person from working IN AN INDUSTRY, only within a geographic area for a reasonable period of time. So I am doubtful that a Non-compete would be enforceable unless a former assistant contacted prior clients of SRN or their franchisee. But I'm no attorney, so Google "Non-compete agreements" and read what you find.

3) The contract implies that the assistant may be asked, or will be asked (it's a bit vague) to do "telephone canvassing." Which of course implies telephone charges to the assistant. This was not mentioned anywhere else, on monster.com ad or strategicresearchnetwork.com. But as you will be in business for yourself, it is common sense that you will incur expenses. I just don't understand why they aren't more up front about all of this.

4) I am willing to email the three documents to scam.com - such as the Moderator or someone else - to back all of this up.

Bottom line IMHO: I don't think this is a 'scam.' I just think these people are trying to maintain too much control over their so-called 'network.' I've signed Non-compete/Non-disclosure/Non-circumvents in the course of employment before, and there is nothing wrong with them per se. But if anyone wants to be an independent recruiter, there is plenty of software out there that you can buy to do this kind of research on your own. Google it and find out for yourself. I have not seen anything about SRN that makes me think they are so talented at what they do that they're better than all of the rest. Or at least so much so that they need all of these restrictions.

I wish I could spend more time on this but I can't. I'm already fried trying to find a decent sales job in the Orlando area and I have 'CRT Eyes' at this point. I just hope that this posting was informative and helpful to all of you!

Grins!

JT

SRN does not want to recruite ASSISTANT internet researchers as they do not recieve any up front money from them. The non assistant position, or company that is... is a 17k and does not have the crazy contract terms... Once you have a company you then hire your own assistants...

I think SRN is confused, becaused I talked to their manager responsible for hiring assistants and she confused me. Excluding the possibility that that is not difficult, from what Amber Adams said they are still in the middle of 'figuring out ' the assistant's role. It is PAID BY SRN per the contract, which again is why I question the prohibition against buying into the franchise at a later date.

But as for 'hiring your own assistants' it is allowed for an assistant to hire their own people but I understood SRN to be the assistant's 'employer' in that an assistant is defined in the contract as a 'corporation' and that SRN PAYS THEM per paragraph 7 listed in my previous post. Meaning, in my mind FWIW that an assistant MUST incorporate (I never found out if an LLC, etcetera is acceptable to SRN).

The more I think about this 'opportunity' the less I think there is anything wrong with SRN, I just don't know why anyone would do it. They seem to be DELIBERATELY trying to minimize their connection with HEALTH CAREER AGENTS, which, if YOU were trying to expand a business and had a good plan, would YOU try to keep different functions hidden and separate? Or, would you try to get the word out and sell as many franchises as possible? Also the Health Career Agents franchise is listed for $30 to I think $40K so perhaps SRN is the CHEAP VERSION OF HCA? I think they're trying to create more revenue streams with different positions, franchises, etcetera. Or they are trying to sell more franchises by hyping the idea of existing assistant waiting to work to make Reasearchers money. But obviously, I can't know their intentions.

If someone wants to be an internet recruiter, you should be able to find software solutions online. I did in an afternoon and I'm not that good at web research. So again, why bother with SRN?

Grins:)!

JT

Quote Originally Posted by JusTho
    Okay everyone, here goes.... Last week I sent in my resume to SRN, got the same responses others have mentioned. But being an aggressive salesman, I called the company to talk to someone and was directed to talk to Amber Adams. She informed me that the 'Assistant Internet Researcher" function was a new thing they're trying out and that they haven't quite figured the idea out yet. Those aren't her exact words so I won't use quotes, but that was what she meant. So I think they may just be throwing spaghetti up against the wall at this point. She then said she would send me a "Financial Worksheet," an "SRN Researcher Business Plan" and a "non-executable assistant researcher contract." The "Financial Worksheet" turned out to be a credit authorization for them to check MY CREDIT. The "non-executable assistant researcher contract" is a Non-disclosure, Non-compete agreement. Below are some cuts from this document:

a) SRN shall provide Assistant with two weeks of remote training via
    Internet based training, teleconferencing sessions, manual
    review, interactive media presentations, and other forms of
    training in providing Internet Research and Research Services.
    b) SRN shall furnish Assistant with support in providing Internet
    Research and Research Services, when requested and as needed, via
    Page 4 of 10
    Internet, email, or telephone.
    c) SRN shall furnish Assistant with access to Internet Research
    training materials.
    d) Assistant shall notify SRN whenever one of the following events
    occur by promptly noting the event in Approved Contact Management
    Software when:
    i) Assistant speaks with a potential Research Services client
    ii) Assistant receives a resume
    iii) Assistant speaks with a candidate on a Candidate Sourcing
    project
    iv) Assistant communicates with a Researcher or another
    Assistant
    e) SRN will make all final decisions regarding Research Services,
    Internet Research activity and Candidate Sourcing projects, and
    all matters as they relate to Research Services.
    f) Assistant will send all email correspondence to potential
    Research Services clients, Candidates, Employers, SRN and
    Researcher through Approved Contact Management Software so that a
    record of the email is made in Approved Contact Management
    Software.
    g) Assistant will commit to working a minimum of thirty (30) hours
    per week with at least ten (10) of those hours being available
    during normal business hours.
    h) SRN will help Assistant complete Research Services projects.
    i) Assistant will not at any time have access to SRN’s research
    software tools.
    j) Assistant shall pay all costs associated with using Approved
    Contact Management Software.
    4) Restrictions. The parties agree to the following restrictions:
    a) Assistant understands that SRN will never accept Assistant as a
    Researcher at any point in the future, under any circumstances.
    b) All materials furnished by SRN are copyrighted. Except for
    Assistant's sole and exclusive use in conjunction with providing
    Internet Research services in conjunction with SRN, the materials
    shall not be sold or otherwise transferred to any other
    individual or entity whatsoever, and the contents shall not be
    disclosed to any third party without prior written permission
    from SRN.
    c) Assistant agrees not to at any time market any kind of similar
    Page 5 of 10
    training program to teach individuals for a fee how to provide
    Research Services.
    d) Assistant shall not tape record, videotape, or digitally document
    any portion of SRN’s Internet Research training.
    e) Assistant is not an employee or representative of SRN in any way.
    f) Assistant will not be involved with any Internet Research,
    Research Services, recruiting or Candidate Sourcing transactions,
    where a fee is not paid to SRN.

Paragraph 7 is about payment to the assistant researcher, but check out 8) and 9):

Contracted Percentage of Research Services Fees. Unless otherwise
    stipulated, SRN shall pay Assistant the following commissions on
    Research Services projects:
    a) Thirty percent (30%) of monies paid to SRN on Candidate Sourcing
    projects where Assistant was involved in locating and attracting
    the Candidate eventually hired.
    b) Twenty percent (20%) of monies paid to SRN on Research Services
    projects where Assistant conducted the Internet Research services
    involved in selling Lead Data.
    c) Additional ten prevent (10%) of monies paid to SRN on phone
    verification projects.
    d) Thirty percent (30%) of monies received on email marketing
    projects where Assistant creates, sends and manages the email
    marketing project.
    8) Reporting and Discovery. Assistant agrees to furnish SRN with copies
    of its phone records, bank documents, and tax records upon request
    by SRN, and furnish SRN with remote access to Assistant’s
    computer(s) via GoToMeeting, web meeting, or a similar remote access
    service at SRN’s specification.
    9) Liquidated damages. In the event it is determined by a court of law
    or arbitrator that Assistant has breached this agreement, Assistant
    agrees to pay liquidated damages in the amount of Fifty Five
    Thousand Dollars ($55,000) to SRN.
    10) Term. This Agreement shall continue for a period of two (2) years
    unless earlier terminated as provided below. The foregoing
    notwithstanding, if this Agreement has not been terminated prior to
    the Expiration Date, the term hereof shall be extended
    automatically, without any further action being required of either
    party, for one (1) year and shall continue to be renewed for
    successive one (1) year periods unless and until this Agreement is
    terminated as provided herein.

ALSO:

This Agreement shall be governed and construed in
    accordance with the laws of the State of Missouri.

My research indicates that the State of Missouri DOES enforce Non-compete agreements.

My primary issues with this company are as follows:

1) Paragraph 4) a) 4) Restrictions. The parties agree to the following restrictions:a) Assistant understands that SRN will never accept Assistant as a Researcher at any point in the future, under any circumstances. This type of business is not geographically limited, and future franchisees (Researchers - people who pay the $18,000.00) will be competitors of the Researcher I as an assistant would be researching for, so why can't I buy in down the road? As long as I don't contact the clients of the franchisee I have researched for in the past, how would I be competing with them MORE than a future franchise buyer? Why they simply don't limit their Non-compete to existing clients I don't know. Why they will never let an assistant become a franchisee, I don't know.

2) I do not BELIEVE that ANY Non-compete agreement can preclude a person from working IN AN INDUSTRY, only within a geographic area for a reasonable period of time. So I am doubtful that a Non-compete would be enforceable unless a former assistant contacted prior clients of SRN or their franchisee. But I'm no attorney, so Google "Non-compete agreements" and read what you find.

3) The contract implies that the assistant may be asked, or will be asked (it's a bit vague) to do "telephone canvassing." Which of course implies telephone charges to the assistant. This was not mentioned anywhere else, on monster.com ad or strategicresearchnetwork.com. But as you will be in business for yourself, it is common sense that you will incur expenses. I just don't understand why they aren't more up front about all of this.

4) I am willing to email the three documents to scam.com - such as the Moderator or someone else - to back all of this up.

Bottom line IMHO: I don't think this is a 'scam.' I just think these people are trying to maintain too much control over their so-called 'network.' I've signed Non-compete/Non-disclosure/Non-circumvents in the course of employment before, and there is nothing wrong with them per se. But if anyone wants to be an independent recruiter, there is plenty of software out there that you can buy to do this kind of research on your own. Google it and find out for yourself. I have not seen anything about SRN that makes me think they are so talented at what they do that they're better than all of the rest. Or at least so much so that they need all of these restrictions.

I wish I could spend more time on this but I can't. I'm already fried trying to find a decent sales job in the Orlando area and I have 'CRT Eyes' at this point. I just hope that this posting was informative and helpful to all of you!

Grins!

JT
    Thanks JusTho for taking the time for this thorough report. I saw this ad in Boston.

Good luck on your job search.

My pleasure HonestAngel.....And thanx for the good luck wish....I don't think I ever worked this hard at an actual job and I work pretty hard!

Below, bloggers can find links to some of the search software I found to compare with SRN. Put together, anyone wanting to enter the recruiting business would have many advantages. The recruiting industry is very tough to break into as a home-based lone-wolf. Industry specific firms make competition fierce and many of them employee recruiters who used to work in that industry (HR/Project/Supply Chain/Quality Management, etcetera...). Very few companies will pay for external firms to locate future employees below senior management posts. Only candidates with high salaries are even an option because of the high fees recruiters must charge and these kind of candidates would quickly sniff out an amateur representing themselves as capable of finding such an executive a better job than they already have. Medical recruiting is a bit different due to high demand in region-specific hospitals and other institutions. But again, competition is fierce and so is researching to find "passive" candidates - people who aren't looking for work - as they are your best chance of landing contracts. Since fees to the hiring entity average $15K - $25K, a recruiter who earns $150K/year only makes 6 - 10 placements per year and that is after building a pipeline of candidates and a group of companies that will pay your fee. I learned about all of this while doing my due diligence on SRN. If you like a challenge, eat high learning curves for breakfast and can go a few months without a paycheck, give independence a try or pop for $17K to SRN and hope they can deliver something unique! But remember, the companies selling the software below are providing solutions to established recruiters and/or people entering the recruiting field from an industry in which they have connections.

Anyway, here are some useful links for those interested:

http://www.copernic.com/index.html
    http://www.resumerobot.com/
    http://www.hireability.com/
    http://www.recruitersnetwork.com/
    http://www.onrec.com/us/
    http://websearch.about.com/od/invisibleweb/
    http://www.digital-element.net/index.html
    http://www.searchblox.com/
    http://www.diogenesllc.com/investigativeresources.html

Grins!

JT