+ Reply to Thread

Documentary: Scams

Kurtis Productions (American Greed, Cold Case Files) is looking to produce a one-hour special on consumer scams. We are delving into mortgage, internet, investment, insurance, and retail scams among others.

In bad economic times, people are even more vulnerable to falling victim to major scams. We hope to delve into the various problems associated with these scams and find individual stories of people who have fallen prey in unresolved scams, and have lost money as a result.

If you are interested in participating or have questions about the potential program, please PM me or put in the general message board forum. We are very interested in hearing stories and are looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
    Last edited by Kurtis-CNBC; 12-01-2010 at 04:33 AM.

Re: CNBC Documentary: Scams

You have mentioned quite a few kinds of scams there.

Are you interested in the "advanced fee fraud" type of scam, commonly called "Nigerian scam"? That type encompasses fake loans, non-existent lotteries, trunk boxes of valuables, dormant bank accounts, millionaire refugee and dozens of others.

Then there are the ones called the "Russian romance scams". That type of scammer always has a family situation or financial need that will prevent her from traveling to visit their soulmate and only the soulmate can fix it all with his cash.

Another type are the fake sellers of non-existent vehicles on c-raigslist and other posting boards. In some areas 90% of the vehicles posted are fake.

How about the fake overseas job, sometimes called the "UK job scam"? Great job, high pay and cash payment needed to obtain visas and other paperwork.

Or are you planning on focusing more on the domestic scams for fake mortgage refinancing scams, get-rich working at home schemes and more non-existent loans?

What about the reimbursement/refund scam? A prior victim is contacted and told for only a small fee paid, all their money and more will be sent immediately.

There are hundreds of variations of scams out there, if you narrowed it down a bit more, you might have a better response. There are hundreds of posts of victims of nearly all the types of scams I mentioned, all here.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Thank you. We're looking for unresolved scams involving individuals who have put forth and lost a considerable amount of money due to a scam. I'm coming across a lot of good stories on the forum, but finding individuals who are interested in telling their story on TV of fraud and money lost is what we're looking for first and foremost.

Awesome, it seems like a great forum and active group of people to reach out to. Feel free to send over whatever information you have. I'd love to hear from you and help make some progress on our special.

I am interested in sharing my story. I have a post here "Malaysian Scammer Fedmond Eddy."