+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: "Does sexuality matter?" from the mouth of a 17 year old

First of all, I think it's a mistake to make any similarities between the struggles of black Americans and gay Americans. Not even close. I know the point you were trying to make, but I'd find a different way of making it. That's not as bad as some of the idiots on here comparing Americas role in Iraq to Hitler and the Jews. Crazy huh?

I'd have to ask you, what makes this person your friend? Probably because you guys share some of the same likes/dislikes, etc. Now I know alot of the psedo-tolerant people on here will argue with me and say "that's not true, I have lots of friends who are totally different than I am", that kind of BS, but for the most part, people tend to migrate towards people who share at least a little of the same interests that they do.
    There are some exceptions, but thats probably true most of the time. Its probably going to become apparant to you that some of your similar interests will change. I know how I was at your age, chasing girls, chasing girls and talking about chasing girls, I'm sure you're probably close to being the same. If he's gay, does that stop?
    Now that he's "out of the closet" is he going to live the gay lifestyle? There's being gay, and then there's the gay lifestyle. You say being gay is not a choice, but living the gay lifestyle is a choice. I'm not judging it, I'm just saying I believe there's a difference. Now, if he chooses to live the gay lifestyle, are you going to want to continue to hang out with him (being exposed to the gay lifestyle). If so and that makes you uncomfortable, then you should tell him and stop hanging out. You can still be friends, and still care about him, but you're gonna have to redefine your friendship. Whatever you do, don't be afraid to be uncomfortable about things you don't agree with. It's okay to disagree with homosexuality. Some of the haters on here will tell you I'm wrong about that, but I really don't give a **** what they think. I'm not saying to treat gay's any different than anyone else, but you don't have to embrace any kind of lifestyle that you don't want to. Also, don't do what you'd be uncomfortable doing (you'll regret it later). If you really don't give a ****, then continue your friendship like nothing had changed. Finally, you'll gradually learn that you have more important things to worry about than what people think about you (for having a gay friend). Putting a roof over your head, putting food on the table, your health, the safety and security of your family, etc etc. Whatever you decide, you should have a heart to heart (I hear gay men are good at that;) and tell him how you feel. Good luck brother, I hope it all works out.
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    Hi Button,

You think gay marriage would "set a trend that makes it normal" and glorifies being gay??

For those who ARE gay - it is NORMAL.... don't you think your child should know that?

What if your child discovers they are gay themself? What then? How would they ever be able to tell you if they have been raised knowing that you "don't like the idea"?

Since I was in high school I've had gay friends, and being gay to them is normal, but in the grand scheme of things it is not normal.

I will teach my son to be tolerate of gay people, just as my parents tought be to be tolerate of gay people. They also taught me to respect people who were different, even if I didn't approve of them.

I really hope my son doesn't become gay, but if he does, he's my son and I will not turn away from him, neither will his father - but he will be taught that it's not normal.

I don't want being gay to be glorified, because if you haven't noticed, teenagers seem to do things that are glorified in the media, even if it's not really their thing. Teenagers are so easily influenced and the media is already portraying bi-sexuality, especially among girls, to be the hip normal thing.

If my son realized he was gay, I would rather it be because he really was, not because he grew up in a society that encouraged it.

That's all I'm trying to say. We should teach tolerance and respect, but not make it the normal cool thing to do.

I like that no one said "get off the stage /pulls hook".
    I have always wanted to do Political Science.. but I think I am going to be a Petroleum Engineer (ironically enough). I live near the future first female Preseident of the US... no joke she is more liberal than Hilary.

Anyway, I think to add a kind of closer on this post (since I havent checked it in a while) I am seriously contemplating just sending my friend the link to this page and seeing what he thinks. I mean, he lives in a rich conservative, Southern city, I am sure this is absolutely minute criticism.