+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is breastfeeding best?

I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this:

Ads spark old debate: Is breastfeeding best?
    Controversial public health campaign makes some mothers feel guilty
    By Rehema Ellis, Correspondent, NBC News

Updated: 3:40 p.m. PT June 14, 2006
    NEW YORK - From playground to playgroups, it’s long been a sensitive subject of debate for new mothers: To breastfeed or bottle feed? Where and when?

And now a controversial public health campaign is sparking new debate.

Recent studies show that babies that are breastfed are less likely to develop ear infections, respiratory illnesses and diarrhea — babies were born to be breastfed.

It's an in-your-face approach showing pregnant women in dangerous situations, suggesting that not to breastfeed is to put your baby at risk.

“There was no hesitation,” says Derosa Jennings. “I knew the first thing I was doing after delivery was to breastfeed. He started two minutes after birth and has never stopped.”

But for Amanda Pymm, who like many mothers tried to breastfeed but couldn't, the campaign is upsetting.

“It makes me feel terrible, and I wish I could do it. I wish there wasn’t so much pressure to do it,” she says.

The latest government figures show more than 70 percent of moms try breastfeeding when their babies are born, but that six months later, only 36 percent are still breastfeeding. One reason, doctors say, is that more than 60 percent of mothers go back to work.

“We’re not trying to create guilt at all,” says Dr. Suzanne Haynes, chief scientific adviser at the Office on Women’s Health. “What we’re trying to do is reach the first-time moms that are out there who are making the decision whether to breastfeed or not.”

While the government ad campaign is winding down now, another controversy may be gearing up.

Some lawmakers want a warning label on formula cans, similar to what's required on cigarettes, saying breast milk is better than formula for babies.

But in the end, it’s a personal choice whether breastfeeding is the best formula for everyone.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13326810/

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Re: Is breastfeeding best?

I did both. The first two children were breastfed exclusively. The last child was breastfed for 3 weeks with bottle supplementation, and then went strictly bottle. She was no less healthy than the other two (all three of my children are extremely healthy and always have been) but she gained a lot more weight being a bottle baby than her sisters did. However, she turned out to be the most slender one of the three and she just turned 15. My middle child who was the chubby one and my oldest the walking stick. LOL. I think genetics plays a bigger role in our children's immune systems and weight rather than whether or not they were breastfed.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

How can there be any debate?
    Was there formula available a thousand years ago?
    Good God, people DO complicate things, don't they?

In case anybody wants my point of view: Whip 'em out! It's best for your child. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    How can there be any debate?
    Was there formula available a thousand years ago?
    Good God, people DO complicate things, don't they?

In case anybody wants my point of view: Whip 'em out! It's best for your child. Period.
    Some women even a thousand years ago could not breastfeed. There were "wet" nurses. With so many women having to work, breastfeeding is sometimes very hard.

My daughter could not breastfeed, she never produced milk. Apparently did not take after mom in that category.

Millions of us have been raised on bottles, we aren't all sickly and many of us were very healthy babies and children too.

I know Scammy, you just want to see all those "breasts" being whipped out don't ya? :D

LM

Mostly...
    :)

Scambuster is THE LADIES MAN!! :D

However, I do agree with you.
    Wet nurses have been around forever...for all the right reasons.
    I am one of 7 children, all breastfed. All healthy as horses.

I should clarify that it is my opinion that breastfeeding is best.

:d :d :d

And now a controversial public health campaign is sparking new debate.

It's an in-your-face approach showing pregnant women in dangerous situations, suggesting that not to breastfeed is to put your baby at risk.

While the government ad campaign is winding down now, another controversy may be gearing up.

Some lawmakers want a warning label on formula cans, similar to what's required on cigarettes, saying breast milk is better than formula for babies.

Thank you for your replies.

The controversial health campaign mentioned above is government sponsored. The question I am really asking is how do you feel about the government regulating whether or not a mother breastfeeds her children?

And if a mother chooses NOT to breastfeed, should she be made to feel quilty and "less than"?

Should a label be mandatory on all baby formula containers saying "This product can be dangerous to your child's health?"

Of course, it probably wouldn't say that so explicidly but should there be a warning at all?

Quote Originally Posted by StormyRay
    Thank you for your replies.

The controversial health campaign mentioned above is government sponsored. The question I am really asking is how do you feel about the government regulating whether or not a mother breastfeeds her children?

And if a mother chooses NOT to breastfeed, should she be made to feel quilty and "less than"?

Should a label be mandatory on all baby formula containers saying "This product can be dangerous to your child's health?"

Of course, it probably wouldn't say that so explicidly but should there be a warning at all?
    The Government is not going to force mother's to breastfeed, there is NO money in it. The Dairy farmers would be up in arms which would then cause headaches in Washington.

And putting warnings on cigarettes and campaigns about second hand smoke hasn't made smokers feel guilty, why should labels from a lying government make women who choose to bottle feed make women feel guilty?

Lady Mod

I breastfed my son for the first 7 weeks but then I had to go back to work and he would only take the milk from a bottle after that (and you know a baby that gets used to a bottle all the time will tear a nipple up), so I went to formula (wasn't going to pump every meal for him, wanted him to at least nurse in the evenings and in the morning). I think it has helped make a difference in the short time that I did it and I feel good that I gave it a shot. I had a lot of problems at first, but stuck with it until my work schedule said otherwise.

Babies (including me) have been bottle fed for years and are just fine. Of course breastfeeding is best and I do think there should be campains to inform women of this, but they shouldn't be made to feel like failures if it didn't work out for them. I think there should be a label on the formula that states breastmilk is best, because it is, and from what my moms says, that when she had me, the doctors discouraged breast milk in favor of the bottle. Just another case of man trying to be better than nature. There shouldn't be anything stating that formula is dangerous, because it isn't.

If the goverment really want's to push breastfeeding, they should do like some of the European countries do. I read on a breastfeeding site that some of these countries give up to 8 months paid maternity leave and that in those countries, about 70% of mothers are still breastfeeding at a later date.

It's hard for women to breastfeed if they are working, but most women have to work and rely on formula. I would love to still be breastfeeding my son, it's a whole lot cheaper, but I have to work.

I dont think they should make a huge deal about it. Some peopel CANT breastfeed. I know I cant, Im not even pregnant or ready to have a kid, but was told by my doctor that I cant breastfeed b/c I am taking a lifetime medicine for my thyroid (levoxyl).

I think htat it is best too, but its not like forumla is terrible. Fruit is better than cookies but it seems I see people eating more cookies!!! LOL =)

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily
    I dont think they should make a huge deal about it. Some peopel CANT breastfeed. I know I cant, Im not even pregnant or ready to have a kid, but was told by my doctor that I cant breastfeed b/c I am taking a lifetime medicine for my thyroid (levoxyl).

I think htat it is best too, but its not like forumla is terrible. Fruit is better than cookies but it seems I see people eating more cookies!!! LOL =)
    True but I really think it she be presented to those who can. I was so thankful for the lactation nurses at the hospital because it isn't as easy as it looks. I did notice that you were kinda looked down upon (just a little) if you didn't breastfeed or try to breastfeed - which isn't fair.

I am 101% for breastfeeding and sad for those who unfortunately cannotfor one reason or another.

Each specie of animal has its own milk for their young. I subscribe to nature as such. We have to return to basics as we all need COLOSTRUM if we want the young ones to get a good start

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel
    I am 101% for breastfeeding and sad for those who unfortunately cannotfor one reason or another.

Each specie of animal has its own milk for their young. I subscribe to nature as such. We have to return to basics as we all need COLOSTRUM if we want the young ones to get a good start

I agree, my son is 6 months old and hasn't had one sniffle and I only breastfed for about 6-7 weeks. I think it really boosted his immune system, even though he only had it for a little while. The colostrum seems to do the trick, that's where they get their first immunities.

Maybe next go around I'll be able to be a stay at home mom and keep breastfeeding. I kinda felt like a failure that I wasn't able to continue, but I guess I would've been more of a failure if we were homeless due to my not working.

I Say Both, Do What You Can Do, Because They'll Both Turn Out Healthy! :)