+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work from Home

Work from Home

I was sent an email that really didnt contain an company name and it went like this:

Career Jobs Mokeland is currently recruiting for Customer Service Assistant. Customer Service Assistant will be responsible for entering, posting and reconciling batches,sending out checks via mail, and other general office duties as assigned.

Customer Service Assistant candidates should have good attention to detail and strong Excel skills.

Duties and functions of this position.

1. Answer phone calls and take messages
    2. Audit various forms of payment and payment slips for accuracy
    3. Accurately input all cash received and disbursed for each day's transaction
    4. Review and process travel expense vouchers for accountability and proper authorization
    5. Assist in payroll

Job Requirements
    Candidates who will be considered must have a strong working knowledge in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. Candidates need to have a great attitude and be willing to do various general office duties as requested.

Here is a brief questionaire that would help us ascertain your skills and experiences.

1. Why do you want this job?

2. Have you worked as a data entry clerck\ accountant before?

3. Privacy and Code of Conduct....explain the phrase.

4. Explain what petty cash means.

5. Have you ever worked from home?

6. How would you describe your self?

7. What is your typing speed?

8. Do you have an idea of how to use Microsoft Excel?

I will be waiting for your detailed response so that we can move on to the next phase and we have a very fast and responsive Human Resource Team that would get back to you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
    Mr Davis(Human Resources Manager)
    Home Business Unit - Human Resource
    Career Jobs Mokeland

First there was no number or email attached and out of curiousity i answered the questions then an email was returned:

Your application is successful. The Quality of your resume and response was highly considered by the Board before you were selected. You start up firstly with the training process which would last for a week and then full start-up. This is just a formal mail to inform you that you have been selected for this Job and to get ready for start up. Appointment letterand others would be mailed to the address you would provide us to be delivered next week after the test of duty/Trust. Now let me give you insight to the Job in question, your duties, How to get started and your Benefits.

JOB DETAILS -

Working from home with the company's provided computer is a broad expatiation's of how the online duty is performed working from home... You are required to use the equipments because there is a wide range of software installed on the system to protect data, ease duty, and also enhance speed and accuracy of duty online. The Company's equipment that would be shipped to you is liable to be yours (Ownership) after a period of 2 months of working with the Company.

We are not deducting funds from your Administrative tax; all Our Online staffs are expected to complete their taxes forms after payroll by themselves.

The Company is running the Online Recruiting as a temporary measure towards the completion of our Centers around the United states and Canada, So most of our online staffs would have the first hand opportunity to apply to become permanent staffs when these centers are opened.. We are certified and also registered with the Better Business Bureau. So I can assure you that you have been offered a great opportunity to perform, giving your best to performing Data Entry duties in exchange for a good pay.

The company's Home Business Unit is under URL change and it involves a very high re-organizational process that involves bringing all our online staffs to log-on on the same Network Online with their staff ID. Then after 7 business days each online staffs can have a log on ID/Password to get access to their duties online while still communicating with their supervisors.

PAYROLL ROUTINE -

Please provide answers to the following schedule so we could update your folder on the administrative desk.
    1. How many hours are you willing to Work per day?
    2. What time range. (Morning Section 8am-12noon or Afternoon section 3pm-6pm)?
    3. Payroll Interval... (Weekly or Bi-weekly)?
    4. Payroll Method. Check or Direct deposit ( CHASE BANK ONLY ) ?
    5. We offer $20 per hour.

Basically before you get started, the company would be providing you with funds to purchase some important software required for the duty in question and then you will be receiving equipments from the Company. Dell Notebook LaptopPentium D Duo Processor , All in one Printer, Scanner and Fax Machine with a wide range of software already installed on the system against hacking.

TEST OF DUTY/TRUST -

Test of duty/trust would involve you handling funds on behalf of the company to purchase the needed software and also to handle the shipment of your mini office equipment. The test of trust is your first call to duty, this will be your first assignment before you begin your training, You will be receiving a payment from the company shortly and would be required to follow proper directions, Accurate deduction and documentation is expected from you. This would be the only payment you will be required to handle on your own.. all other future payments would be forwarded by you to the company's accounting details which will be readily made available for you upon your start.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you send your contact details and your answers to the payroll questions, so that it can be forwarded to the company's accounting department for processing, also for you to be able to receive your test of duty/trust package.

Details should be sent in the format below:

Your full name......................
    Address....................... ..............( NO PO BOX )
    City...................
    State.....................
    Zip Code.......................... ..............
    Phone #home......................... ....
    Cell #....................
    Email..............

I look forward working with you as an online staffs.

I will be waiting for your detailed response so that we can move on to the next phase.

Regards,
    Davis Scott

What triggered me was the time these emails were sent, name difference and no company name, has anybody else recieved this email???

Re: Work from Home

100% scam.

Is the "cash the fake check" type scam.

The important part is:
    You will be receiving a payment from the company shortly and would be required to follow proper directions
    That is the fake check sent on a stolen UPS or FedEx billing account number right to YOUR home address. The "proper directions" will say to immediately cash the $3,000+ check and use Western Union or moneygram to send your cash to the scammer.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

The only real life job here is you paying back the bank for all their cash you sent to some anonymous overseas scammer.

You could post up the email address that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

As you know, whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

I received this same exact email late last night. I was suspicious and curious, so I Googled the company name and found this forum.
    Thanks for the info! I did not reply to the email, because you can kind of tell by the rather odd wording and spelling that English is a second language to whomever writes these things.

I have to say, of all the phishing/scam emails I get, this one is the most elaborate I've seen so far!

I just registered on this site and will be visiting and reading what's posted.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge! :)

another hint: they spelled "clerk" wrong. a professional and legitimate company would use spell check. oh, and they would never ask you for your bank account number or to open up a new one.

if it sounds too good to be true, then it most likely is.

Thanks Everyone, i knew it was a bit fishy. The email that sent me this was: careerjobsatmokelandltd@gmail.com

Hope no one falls for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kina21 View Post
    The email that sent me this was: careerjobsatmokelandltd@gmail.com

Hope no one falls for this!
    Thanks for posting up that scammer's email address.

Unfortunately, someone someplace will probably fall for this scam but many, many more won't because you took the time to post up the scammer's emails and email address here.

For all the ones that will be saved and don't pop 'round to post: Thank You!

Thank you, I didn't answer any of the questions, but did reply to ask what company this was since I have applied to many, haven't heard anything.

I am so glad I found this web site, will come here to check everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by zysmom View Post
    Thank you, I didn't answer any of the questions, but did reply to ask what company this was since I have applied to many, haven't heard anything.

I am so glad I found this web site, will come here to check everything out.
    ever tryed MLM's there not really scams but if you can work them they will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 92chris View Post
    ever tryed MLM's there not really scams but if you can work them they will work for you.

What are MLM's? Guess I am not computer savy as I thought.

Also another BIG RED FLAG for a scam is if they use an email through:
    @yahoo.com
    @gmail.com
    @ymail.com
    @hotmail.com
    @msn.com
    @sbcglobal.net
    ECT....

Any of these are scams 100%
    Professional companies use Emails through there own Site/ Email service.
    So yea if they end in any of the above then it's a scam 100%

Thank God for this website. I just received a similar email. Except that they have refined the details a bit. There is a telephone number now, but it's just a voicemail and it doesn't even have a human voice on it just the computer generated one, and we all know anyone can get a voice mail account. Also they claim to be (Lead Computers,Inc.) is very close in name to a real company (Lead Computer, Inc.) out of Missouri. They even went so far as to ask for the schedule I'd like to work etc. The huge red flag was we'll send you a check or direct deposit money for you to buy software and arrange shipment of office equipment. Companies get large discounts buying software in bulk and there are licensing fees for users a company pays as well. The other red flag was for a job title of Data Entry Clerk, the salary was very high ($25) especially given the economy. Lastly they misused a word and were trying to sound too high sounding in their language. Thanks everyone. It's easy to get lulled into the hope that it's real. I appreciate the comments and the website is a brilliant idea!

BTW, I did get a response from them, a week later, the job is for a data entry clerk, I must respons ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
    100% scam.

Is the "cash the fake check" type scam.

The important part is:
    That is the fake check sent on a stolen UPS or FedEx billing account number right to YOUR home address. The "proper directions" will say to immediately cash the $3,000+ check and use Western Union or moneygram to send your cash to the scammer.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

The only real life job here is you paying back the bank for all their cash you sent to some anonymous overseas scammer.

You could post up the email address that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

As you know, whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.
    S-pat: I received the same as what you are talking about, and almost fell for it - although was getting curious as the BBB has a "like" company which does similar work, but was in a different location. The search on BBB for email revealed nothing. Here is the email - which is Reston Technology Group, Inc.! After filling out the "application", I was told that the board had "highly considered" me as well and I was approved. I always look for typos or nuances in the writing which do not feel right - had that here. When I saw what you posted, it had the exact typos as mine, yet was an entirely different job and scam.

I was told about the next steps - referred to as a "Test of Trust / Duty", which Meri Widow has just clarified perfectly for me - thank you!

Second email below:

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM, James Fisher wrote:
    Your application is successful. The Quality of your resume and response was highly considered by the Board before you were selected. You start up firstly with the training process which would last for a week and then full start-up. This is just a formal mail to inform you that you have been selected for this Job and to get ready for start up. Appointment letterand others would be mailed to the address you would provide us to be delivered next week after the test of duty/Trust. Now let me give you insight to the Job in question, your duties, How to get started and your Benefits.

JOB DETAILS -
    Working from home with the company's provided computer is a broad expatiation's of how the online duty is performed working from home... You are required to use the equipments because there is a wide range of software installed on the system to protect data, ease duty, and also enhance speed and accuracy of duty online. The Company's equipment that would be shipped to you is liable to be yours (Ownership) after a period of 2 months of working with the Company.

We are not deducting funds from your payroll for Taxes; all Our Online staffs are expected to complete their taxes forms after payroll by themselves.

The Company is running the Online Recruiting as a temporary measure towards the completion of our Centers around the United states and Canada, So most of our online staffs would have the first hand opportunity to apply to become permanent staffs when these centers are opened.. We are certified and also registered with the Better Business Bureau. So I can assure you that you have been offered a great opportunity to perform, giving your best to performing Data Entry duties in exchange for a good pay.

The company's Home Business Unit is under URL change and it involves a very high re-organizational process that involves bringing all our online staffs to log-on on the same Network Online with their staff ID. Then after 7 business days each online staffs can have a log on ID/Password to get access to their duties online while still communicating with their supervisors.
    PAYROLL ROUTINE -
    Please provide answers to the following schedule so we could update your folder on the administrative desk.
    1. How many hours are you willing to Work per day?
    2. What time range. (Morning Section 8am-12noon or Afternoon section 3pm-6pm)?
    3. Payroll Interval... (Weekly or Bi-weekly)?
    4. Payroll Method. Check or Direct deposit ( BANK OF AMERICA ONLY ) ?
    5. We offer $20 per hour.

Basically before you get started, the company would be providing you with funds to purchase some important software required for the duty in question and then you will be receiving equipments from the Company. Dell Notebook LaptopPentium D Duo Processor , All in one Printer, Scanner and Fax Machine with a wide range of software already installed on the system against hacking.
    TEST OF DUTY/TRUST -

Test of duty/trust would involve you handling funds on behalf of the company to purchase the needed software and also to handle the shipment of your mini office equipment. The test of trust is your first call to duty, this will be your first assignment before you begin your training, You will be receiving a payment from the company shortly and would be required to follow proper directions, Accurate deduction and documentation is expected from you. This would be the only payment you will be required to handle on your own.. all other future payments would be forwarded by you to the company's accounting details which will be readily made available for you upon your start.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you send your contact details and your answers to the payroll questions, so that it can be forwarded to the company's accounting department for processing, also for you to be able to receive your test of duty/trust package.

Details should be sent in the format below:

Your full name......................
    Address....................... ..............( NO PO BOX )
    City...................
    State.....................
    Zip Code.......................... ..............
    Phone #home......................... ....
    Cell #....................
    Email..............

I look forward working with you as an online staffs.
    I will be waiting for your detailed response so that we can move on to the next phase.

Regards,
    James

The first one did have company name, but no phone # and email was invalid. I would love to give an address that isn't tied to me - just to string them along, and then give funds to authorities. Perhaps I will contact a friend in an agency that deals with stuff (maybe like this). Maybe they will give me a $20/hr job doing data entry as a reward! Good job peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by SPat View Post

The first one did have company name, but no phone # and email was invalid. I would love to give an address that isn't tied to me - just to string them along, and then give funds to authorities. Perhaps I will contact a friend in an agency that deals with stuff (maybe like this). Maybe they will give me a $20/hr job doing data entry as a reward! Good job peeps.
    You can do something like that. Wasting a scammer's time safely and legally is called "scambaiting". You can google that word and you will find sites devoted to that hobby where you can read scambaits, post information on scammers and ask questions.

Hi all,

I sent my resume to an ad on *****slist for a customer service rep position paying $27.00 per hr. I told my wife its probably a scam, but you don't know if you don't apply, right?
    Below is the email I received back from Lead Computers Inc.
    Seems a little Phishy:Lurking:

The Hiring Desk of the company has successfully reviewed your resume by the appropriate department. We are dedicated to meeting the needs of independent dialysis providers around the world by leveraging today's most innovative technologies to deliver a full spectrum of high-quality services to the business community.
    We Specialize in all kinds of Computer peripherals Supplies such as ATX case, power supply, mouse, keyboard, speaker, blank CD-R Hard Drives, Memory Sticks and so on..

To proceed with this customer service representative, you must undergo an online interview via yahoo messenger. You are required to have a yahoo instant messenger on your computer.

Based on your resume, you possess the required skills that we look for in a candidate for this position.In the meantime, we need you to set-up a Yahoo Mail Account and have this id (leadcomputersinc@ymail.com )added to your Yahoo Messenger buddy list (Only If you haven't got a Yahoo ID).You would be undergoing an Online Briefing / Interview through the Messenger that you would be setting-up.online . A briefing and interview has been scheduled for you online, Mr Edward Martinez will be online waiting for you.Your urgent reply to this Recruiting Process and your effective and timely response matters a lot.As you are fully aware, the working schedule is very flexible and you can endeavor to work from home comfortably.Endeavor to get on line ASAP.

Hiring manager
    Edward Martinez

Dales, To get more replies it might be best to start a new thread.

I just happened to open this one to see what was new. My first guess is that it is going to turn out to be a scam. No customer service position is going to pay that kind of money. Without more information it's hard to tell you what kind of scam it is though.

If you go through with the interview be sure to let us know what they say.