+ Reply to Thread

obama, NATO Surrender to Russia

Disgusting creatures. Without a strong US to lead, the world is preparing to be dominated. Again.

When is a Missile Defense not a Missile Defense?
    posted at 11:45 am on November 19, 2010 by J.E. Dyer
    [ National Defense ] printer-friendly

Probably at the point where Russia agrees to it. Russia’s representative to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, spoke to Izvestia in advance of the NATO summit convening on Friday in Lisbon. According to excerpts from the Izvestia interview, cited in Bulgarian media:

Rogozin reveals that Russia insists on certain restrictions to the future missile shield, and that Russia’s potential inclusion in the system will require serious concessions on part of the North Atlantic Alliance.

“We tried to convince the Americans that it is necessary to agree on restrictions about the missile defense system – on the zones for locating elements, the number of the interceptor missiles, and the speed of the interceptor missiles,” Rogozin says.

These factors add up to a Russian insistence that NATO’s missile defense be effective only against slower, older-technology missiles approaching NATO territory from a limited sector of the compass.

The Russian posture has always been that NATO should have no defense against a ballistic-missile attack from Russia. The Russians view the U.S. national missile-defense (NMD) program with disfavor too. Although the NMD leaves the East coast of North America without dedicated, well-positioned interceptors, it would provide some cover for U.S. and Canadian territory against missiles launched from Asia. The view from Moscow hasn’t changed since the MAD era: any interference with Russia’s ability to hold NATO at risk with nuclear missiles is “destabilizing.”

As Emanuele Ottolenghi points out at Commentary‘s “contentions” (and I discussed here), NATO is already busy imposing limits on itself by declining to name Iran as a source of missile threats. Pleasing both Turkey and Russia could, in theory, leave NATO solemnly designating Syrian Scuds as its defining missile threat. Even if it doesn’t actually commit that absurdity, what NATO will probably do this weekend is agree to ambiguous language in the broad outlines of its much-anticipated new security concept. The language will be enough to undermine a focused consensus on what the threat is. As other heroic defense projects have demonstrated, that lack of consensus doesn’t just produce ineffective systems: it’s costly and it wastes time.

But there’s a more fundamental point to be made. NATO is allowing itself to be trapped with false premises. The alliance’s missile-defense concept need not be limited by any set of contingent political factors. NATO is a military security alliance. It should build a missile shield capable of defending against any missile system developed and produced by a non-NATO nation. That principle gets back to Ronald Reagan’s original premise: that the purpose of missile defense is to render intimidation with nuclear missiles obsolete.
    There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Re: obama, NATO Surrender to Russia

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    Disgusting creatures. Without a strong US to lead, the world is preparing to be dominated. Again.
    Yeah. Problem is, this speculative politically-motivated article from the ever accurate Hotair was written last week, and was as I said speculative.

Much more info here for example, with quotes from those involved, after the discussions rather than before. http://www.globalsecuritynewswire.or...01122_4923.php

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Yeah. Problem is, this speculative politically-motivated article from the ever accurate Hotair was written last week, and was as I said speculative.

Much more info here for example, with quotes from those involved, after the discussions rather than before. http://www.globalsecuritynewswire.or...01122_4923.php

LOL...yeeeeaaah.

my favorite quote from your link, by far:

Obama heralded Moscow's decision to participate in the development of the shield. Rasmussen was also optimistic of Russian participation: "We could cooperate one day in shooting down missiles."

Do you realize how ing moronic this is? Them shooting down their own missiles? No, I guess you don't. Which is, of course, why you and your ilk are always being dominated by someone.

Fucking children.

Allow me to reiterate:

Without a strong US to lead, the world is preparing to be dominated. Again.

There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    LOL...yeeeeaaah.

my favorite quote from your link, by far:

Obama heralded Moscow's decision to participate in the development of the shield. Rasmussen was also optimistic of Russian participation: "We could cooperate one day in shooting down missiles."

Do you realize how ing moronic this is? Them shooting down their own missiles? No, I guess you don't. Which is, of course, why you and your ilk are always being dominated by someone.

Fucking children.

Allow me to reiterate:

Without a strong US to lead, the world is preparing to be dominated. Again.

The hotair article was written speculatively, predicting that the russians would try to stop the shield from being able to shoot down new forms of weapons ... presumably russian ones. And that obama was going to give in.

And ... this happened? Wait. No. Its didnt.