+ Reply to Thread

I feel bad....but should I?

Some of you may know that my sister is pregnant!!! YAY!!!
    Well, she is only 2 months along and she went to the doctor today. THe doctor gave her a prescription to help her morning sickness.

Thing is.....I learned in my Pshychology class that these meds can cause REALLY bad problems, Im sure not all of them, but some can. Some women who took meds to cure morning sickness had stillbirths, and limbless babies!

I cant imagine that happening to my future niece or nephew. I told my sister about this a LONG time ago (before she was pregnant)

She had me look info up for her on line (she doesn have a computer) and I did. This is what I found. PLease just look at this link and tell me what you think. I kown Im not supposed to post links, but its not like Im selling this crap http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/zof1501.htm

It does NOT seem safe for a pregnant woman to take, ESPECIALLY when she is not that far along.

Why do I feel bad? :( B/c now she doesnt want to take it and she is going to keep being sick. She told me not to feel bad since she asked me to look up info. I told her I would rather feel bad for her being sick all the time than having a deformed, or worse, dead....nephew/niece.

I felt terrible at first but I just want the best for her and her baby. She is my best friend and I just want her baby to be okay and healthy.

Thanks

Re: I feel bad....but should I?

do you know what medicines are prescribed? cause there are maybe 10=12 different ones that help with morning sickeness. A lowdown can be found here:
    http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=96176

I dont see how the link you have posted above has anything to do with morning sickenss. Zofran is for those on chemo or undergoing radiation therapy. If your sister is on chemo, she should be more worried about what those chemo sessions could do, than a minor drug.

and there are natural ways to combat morning sickenss. And that's starting with the food you eat and how many times a day that you eat. There are also herbal remedies.

More on helping with morning sickness:
    http://www.pennhealth.com/health_inf...ncy/000224.htm

thanks. She is not geting chemo or antyhign like that. That is why I dont want her to take it.

It doesnt say anythign on morning sickness and that is why I came to this board...for advice. Thank you so much for your input and info.

I really appreciate it b/c I love my sister so much, she has always been my best friend and I dont want anything to happen to her or her baby

Hi Heather,

Hopefully all these links will work. I copied the text from one website I found particularly useful, the link/source of the article is at the bottom of the page. Good luck.

Now, as far as that prescription drug is concerned, personally I wouldn't take it in the first stages of pregancy, but that's just me.

Home Remedies for Morning Sickness

by Pam Cass
    “Drink ginger tea for morning sickness? That’s just an old wives’ tale.” True, an old wife is likely to tell you to drink ginger tea, but consider this…those old wives had probably morning sickness themselves!
    The bad news is that the nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy, commonly called morning sickness, affects about half of all pregnant women. The good news is that there are many remedies to try and if one of them doesn’t work for you, very likely another one will. If all else fails, just hang on to the fact that most women are finished with morning sickness by the beginning of their fourth month.

We’ve collected a whole variety of the various home remedies that may help with soothing your morning sickness. There is bound to be something here to help no matter whether your morning sickness consists of a little morning nausea or the all day eat and throw up variety. However, be sure to contact your caregiver if the nausea and vomiting becomes unbearable or causes you to lose weight.

ØGet plenty of rest.

ØChew your food thoroughly.

ØMake sure your stomach is never completely empty. Carry fruit, cheese and/or crackers around with you to nibble on throughout the day.

ØKeep a snack by the bed for when you get up during the night to visit the bathroom or soothe one of the kids.

ØAlso keep a snack by the bed to eat before you lift your head from the pillow in the morning. Then, get up slowly.

ØEat a high protein snack before bed at night.

ØEat a diet high in carbohydrates and protein, low in fats.

ØEat salty, crunchy foods.

ØSniff a fresh lemon peel.

ØMake sure your breads and crackers are whole grain.

ØDrink wheat germ dissolved in warm milk, a few teaspoons every hour.

ØTake 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey in cold water before bed.

ØAvoid strong odors and stuffy or smoky rooms.

ØSuck a piece of peeled ginger root.

ØDrink red raspberry leaf, peppermint, squaw vine or spearmint tea.

ØDrink ginger tea made by boiling some ginger root in water. Strain it and add honey to sweeten.

ØWear motion sickness bands on your wrists.

ØTo avoid actually vomiting, try grasping your tongue with a piece of cloth and pulling gently but firmly.

ØIf you are vomiting a lot, try limiting your diet to a single food, one that you know you can tolerate. Add one additional food per day as you can tolerate them.

ØPut three drops of lavender essential oil and one of peppermint in a diffuser or humidifier to scent the air.

ØPlace a cool lavender scented compress on your forehead and a warm lavender compress over your rib cage.

ØGet a massage with chamomile massage oil.

ØDrink liquids between rather than with meals.

ØAvoid greasy foods.

ØSnack on ginger snap cookies, homemade and with real ginger, if possible.

ØChew gum.

ØGet regular, gentle exercise.

ØIncrease your intake of vitamin B6.

ØTry taking your vitamins later in the day.

ØTry changing your iron supplement.

ØGive in to your food cravings.

ØSip a carbonated beverage.

ØGet plenty of fresh air.

ØTry tart flavors; lemonade, sour pickles, etc.

ØDon’t brush your teeth immediately after eating.

ØLie completely still with your eyes closed.

ØSuck on frozen popsicles, especially lemonade.

Article is from: http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/a...sick/index.php

Other helpful Morning Sickness info/links:

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancya...606664,00.html

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/

http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/a...sick/index.php
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

ladyemily, your sister will get over morning sickness in the next month. In the meantime it is important that she stays hydrated and eats whatever she can. Doctors do not CURE anything, they prescribe stuff to mask problems. That is what they are trained to do.

A bland diet will help your sister right now. Nothing heavy, greasy, spicy. Don't feel guilty, you know, everything your sister takes so does the baby. Get her some of these:

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/biobands.html

or these if she is sick all day

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/seabands.html

Either one will help.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

I have been searching and have gotten responses saying that Unisom and B-6 work.

I called my sis last night and she said that she told her doctor and they are looking into it....doesnt sound good coming from a doctor! youd think that they wouldnt have to look into it. Or maybe they are just pretending and are goign to tell her that its fine.

Dont know, but I am really freaked out about this medicine. I mean, medicine for vomitting from radiotherapy, major surgerys, and chemo? DOESNT sound like somethign a pregnant woman should take! But, Im no doctor so I dont know.

But I did see on the news that every doctor makes an average of 1 mistake every 15 minutes!

Scary! One of my family members died from a doctors mistake! She had just gotten surgery and the doc prescribed like a pain patch (kind of like the smoking patches) but it had medicine in it. He told her she only needed the lowest dose (which was #1, it went up to #10 with 10 being the highest) well, he prescribed her a 10.

The next morning she was dead. The medicine was WAY too strong for her and it "blew up" her internal organs.....YUCK!!!!!

Needless to say, her husband is sewing but I heard that it will take a few years before andything really happens about it! she had 6 kids too (under the age of 11)

She was my stepdads cousin. I wasnt really close to her, but it is still really sad.

so, that was a HUGE mistake a doctor made!

I would hold out on the medicine if I could. A couple of month's relief is not worth a life of problems. I really hope her sickness goes away but some doesn't. I had a friend that couldn't keep anything down the whole time she was pregnant. She had to go to the hospital several times and get fluids via IV. When she gave birth she was 1 pound heavier than when she got pregnant. She gave birth a month early to an 8 pound healthy boy. I was so surprised at the baby's weight, but your body will let the baby "eat" on excess fat. I think the name for it is hypermesies or something to that affect. With her next pregnancy she only got sick a few times.

Just something I've heard...some women who couldn't eat and had severe sickness would smoke a little bit of marijuanna when they were having particuarly bad spells and couldn't eat anything. Look it up on the net. I don't think pregnant women should do any of it, but marijuanna has not been proven to have the birth defects and problems that the chemo drug does, especially if only used when necessary (can't eat at all, not just occasionally). I'm definately not advocating it, but I've heard that it helps in the most extreme cases.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily

But I did see on the news that every doctor makes an average of 1 mistake every 15 minutes!
    And Drug companies spend $16 billion a year to influence physicains in the United States alone. That is $10,000 for every single physician in the country.

The Drug companies fund most of the studies that wind up getting published in the gold standard, peer-reviewed journals. The studies then get accepted as gospel and are passed along, and accepted by, nearly all physicians.

Do you really think your doctor has your best interests in mind when he prescribes ANY drug?

I don't.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Here are some links about Zofran that your sister may want to read. I looked it up and I don't see anything that proves birth defects, but the FDA hasn't approved it for use by pregnant women for nausea. The baby center link points out a combination of supplements that may help if she isn't ready to throw the towel in and use the Zofran and the other link is praises by pregnant women for Zofran.

http://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4932141&
    http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/isitsafe/1366869.html

Hope these help and I hope that hers is a temporary problem. I'm lucky, I only spewed my guts a few times while I was pregnant.

P.S. Okay I must be an idiot because those links don't work but if you paste them in your browser they will.
    Last edited by Button; 06-15-2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: tags wrong

Ladyemily- You should not feel bad at all. Your devotion to your sister and happy anticipation of the baby speaks volumes of the relationship you share and the kind person that you are. Your sister's health and wellbeing are the #1 priority now. I agree with your concerns. Basically, anything she takes - the baby takes. Thalidamide was a treatment for "morning sickness" and we all know the result of that. Too many people are lulled into the idea of a cure or treatment for whatever ails us. Many doctors write prescriptions just to get you out of their hair. Being calm and attentive to your sister is my prescription. It is an emotional time. Family support is paramount - spoil the heck out of her. She doesn't feel great right now and there's alot at stake. Her 23" waist will become 43" - her back will ache - her ankles will swell - she won't fit behind the steering wheel and the seatbelt will not extend that far. She'll be poked and proded by total strangers for her "check-ups". She will buy "pants" - not slacks, jeans, or dockers- with a big spandex panel in the front and a fat elastic waistband (and they only come in navy blue- I don't know why...). "Rolling out of bed" as apposed to "getting up" will be the order of the day. Her shoes may not fit - so after the "fat pants" shopping fiasco - you will be trying to "ooh and aww" the ugliest large bathroom slipper style shoes you've ever laid eyes on. Then there's the "supportive garment" shopping - fun at first - who wouldn't want to shop for a larger bra? - Someone who never expected the big buttons at the top. Her emotions will run high so family and friends have to be supportive. You are, obviously, "on the page". She needs your assistance - is finding another doctor possible? (I may be way out of line here). Anyway - the good news is - YOU GET A BABY - and that's the reason women have more than one child. It's an irony, really. I remember thinking - What am I doing here again! This was painful! - I have three children now - and my sister was very important to me when they were born. I was her "coach" for her third son. Now that was fun. I got a baby - no pregnancy - no labor - there he was "all shiny and new" - got to hold him just seconds after he was born - it was "wondermous" (wonderful and fabulous at the same time). Step back a bit - catch your breath. Everything will be okay. Take good care of your sister, as best you can, and rally your family 'round her (although I'm sure they already do).
    What a wonderful thing! A new baby............Hmmmmmmm, music to my heart!

Lady, I wouldn't feel bad. Morning sickness is as old as human life itself, so I would expect a woman should be able to handle it okay. So far as being a parent is concerned, the morning sickness is the easy part! (From a man's point of view anyway;)
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

I'm confused as to why her doctor would proscribe Zofran for morning sickness? I believe that my exposure to anesthetic caused the Congenital Heart Defect in my daughter. She should not be taking zofran even if there is a slight risk.