+ Reply to Thread

Thread: job scam?

job scam?

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX,
    Our firm offers a vacancy of a "Check Assist Manager" that doesn't demand any especial experiences. It will take only several hours a week.

Our Organization is known as a payment processor with services designed for international small businesses.

Please read more information in attached document. Adobe Acrobat Reader required

Thank you.

That is the email i just got. the business is set up in berlin, germany. there is no start up fees. it just looks fishy to me, can anyone tell me if theyve got one of these?

Re: job scam?

100% scam.

It is the "cash the fake check" type scam.

There is no company in Berlin, Germany. There is no company at all.
    There is just the scammer who wants your cash sent to him via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address, any websites mentioned and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

http://beckenbauer-gmbh.com/index.php the url address

The attachment
    Basic requirements:
    - computer skills and your own e-mail address
    - at least 1-2 hours of free time every day for communication and other purposes mostly morning
    - an opportunity to check your email a few times a day
    - US citizenship
    Your possible pay per month depends ONLY on time input.
    NO START-UP FEE
    If you want to join our company please fill form on our web-site.
    We feel hopeful that you will make the right choice and become a part of our our firm.

Job offer faqs
    1. What does your Company need Check Assist Manager for?
    1. We receive help from individual Check Assist Manager who use such systems as Western Union or MoneyGram to avoid taxes being placed on our funds. That is, we pay taxes in our locale before sending the funds on to you. Contact support for more information regarding taxes and the proper course of action in your situation. Transactions classified as “commercial” are less common and require more work and expense, so we advise our Managers to mark them as “personal.”
    2. What places can I cash my check at?
      1. Wal-Mart offers this for a small fee
      2. ACE Cash Express
      3. Some grocery and retail stores
      4. Speedy Cash
      5. Advance America Cash Advance
      6. The bank you use or the bank which issued the check.
      Our company will reimburse any fees for check cashing.
    3. Describe my responsibilities. Why don’t you save yourselves the money and do it yourselves?
      You will cash out the money once you receive a bank payment or check. Once you have over $2,000 you will then proceed to visit a branch of MoneyGram or Western Union. On occasion you may have to make a wire transfer instead. No matter what, we will provide you with the full information you need to fill out for every transaction. Our company processes medical payments, with an average amount of USD $100-300. Some of our customers prefer to use checks. But when they send a check to us in Helsinki, Finland, delivery is complicated and time-consuming (about a week). The fees for U.S. checks in Finland are high as well. And if they use Western Union, it becomes even more expensive. For the amounts of USD $100-300 we usually deal with, Western Union can charge $15-40. Moving $2,500 costs around $125. So if there are several payments involved, moving them all separately costs a total of about $375. Transferring them at a single go runs just a third of that, at about $125. That’s why payments are sent directly to Finland once the total amount tops $3,000. This system is faster, allows higher commissions for employees, and provides moneymaking opportunities for you.
    4. How many transfers will I handle in a day/week/month?
      It can fluctuate from one per week to several in a single day, depending on business. We will be sure to notify you in advance of all transfers.
    5. I know that my commission starts at 6%, when will it increase to 8%?
      All employees initially earn 6%. Once you open a separate checking account, this will be boosted to 8 %.
    6. Can my friends join too?
      Naturally!
    7. What currency will I receive and send money in – dollars, Euros, something else? Will I need to exchange currencies?
      US dollars are used in the vast majority of cases. Currency is sent in the same currency in which it is received. No exchanging is necessary.
    8. Who is responsible for transfer fees? Doesn’t it cost a lot to use Western Union or MoneyGram?
      All such costs will be paid for by us. Your commission is exactly 6% of the total transfers you make during the first month; there are no deductions or “miscellaneous fees.”
    9. I sent my ID by fax after being asked, but it isn’t going through. What now?
      Our fax machine is always on so the problem is most likely on your end. You still have the option of scanning your ID and sending it electronically. If you don’t have a scanner, an Internet cafe or friend may be able to assist.
    10. Can I have a contract copy sealed and signed by the CEO and sent to me?
      Absolutely, just let us know.
    11. Is this legal?
      Our business and its activities are 100% legal, and we have the documents to show it.
    12. I don’t know a whole lot about finance and banking, do I need to have a special degree?
      No, anyone with training can figure out the process. We will help you to get it down.
    13. Do you work outside of the USA?
      We work in many countries worldwide.
    14. What if I get a check that is overdrawn, bad or otherwise invalid?
      This happens extremely rarely. Nonetheless, our company will repay any canceled checks, bad checks or checks with insufficient funds.
    15. What affects the amount of payments?
      This is all up to you. If you transfer money quickly, you will receive the next bank transfer or check right away. If you work sufficiently hard, you can have up to five or six transfers or checks per week.
    16. What about payment frequency and methods?
      Your commission is subtracted by you directly from each payment. This means that payment is instant!
    17. What about application or startup fees to work with you?
      None whatsoever. You just need an Internet-connected computer – and you can start working from home.

Thanks for posting up that email from the "cash the fake check" scammer.

I especially liked this part:
    What if I get a check that is overdrawn, bad or otherwise invalid?

This happens extremely rarely. Nonetheless, our company will repay any canceled checks, bad checks or checks with insufficient funds.
    Happens extremely rarely? Happens every single time. Nasty scammer here, he is setting the victim up to cash a 2nd or 3rd fake check. Instead of contenting himself with stealing $3,000 of a victim's hard-earned cash, he wants $6,000-$9,000.

Just delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

The only job here is you paying back the bank for the bounced check fee and all the bank's money that you withdrew to send on to that scammer. If you end up cashing several checks you will look forward to having you bank account permanently closed and a visit from the local law enforcement agency asking why are you laundering money for overseas criminals.

If you would like to cause that scammer some serious grief, you could google the word 'scambaiting'. At the sites you find you can post up that fake site, ask questions, learn how to shut down a fake website and read how others have done just that. Even if you aren't interested in helping shut that fake site, you could still post it at the scambaiting sites for someone else to "take care of". Shutting down a scammer's website will cause him real pain and problems.

I got the same email from career builder. aren't they supposed to screen the companies to see if they are legit? i put in my resume and contact info to be contacted by employers and all im getting are these type of emails. i knew they were too good to be true so i googled it and i found this forum.

they even have a "legal agreement" and everything. one of the other emails had terrible spelling and grammar errors. unbelievable how many people fall for this stuff.

I would not trust these types of e-mails...there are just to many risks involved, but if you have checked them out and everything seems legit...then go for it...let me know how it goes...a link was here
    Last edited by Meri Widow; 11-23-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: personal links go in sig line

It's really frustrating, I just graduated college and in addition to not being able to find that first job, we get these e-mails. I just started using Careerbuilder and I am thinking about just pulling my information all together from that site. One of the guys that sent me an e-mail actually left a phone number. I'll post the message here.

I got your resume and it has been reviewed, I did appreciate it. So I will give this a GO"

I'm looking for someone that can be trusted and reliable to work very well and with good understanding.
    This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following
    them,my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to
    meet up with my irregular timings. As my Personal Assistant,your activities amongst other things will
    include;

*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring. Scheduling programmed, flights and keeping me
    up to date with them.Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away Making regular
    contacts and drop-offs on my behalf. Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..
    Basic wage is $400 Weekly

I'm sure you'll understand I intend to have a very busy schedule at this point..I am presently in Maryland, I will be back in Two Weeks.
    I think you're the right person for this position,Please note that this position is not office based for now
    because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time work from home and the flexibility
    means that there will be busier weeks than others, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours
    you'll be doing per week.If you can manage your time properly,this job may even give you some extras while
    you do something else on the side. Like i said, I'd want us to get a head START with things as soon as
    possible.I do have lots of works piled up presently and a number of unattended chores which you can
    immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the
    coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and
    fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge
    and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us.. I'm online most of
    the time as I am hard of hearing so I prefer we contact each other through E-mails,but if there is need for
    me to call, I will do that and i will be glad you are willing to work with me and I promise to be a good boss. I
    am also glad on the commitment in working.I have been checking my files and what i need you to do for this
    week is to run some errands out to some of the orphanage home because it happens every month.

Payment:
    A payment inform of a Cashier Check/Money Order will be sent over to you from one of my clients and i
    have some lists to email you once you received the funds.The check will be in the amount of your money for
    the first week and money for orphanage home.You will deduct $400 which is your payment for the first week
    and have all the rest of the money sent to the Orphanage home via western union or money gram.If you are
    OK with my terms and condition,I will need you to provide me with the information stated below:

Full Name:
    Address(No P O Box):
    City:
    State:
    Zip code:
    Phone number: (Cell and Home)
    Sex(M/F):
    Email:

If interested a swift acknowledgment of the receipt of this email will be appreciated,also here is my contact number 3012810024

Thanks
    John Perry

Thanks for posting up that information on a scam.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.

Payment processing scams are one of the oldest in the book. I also fell for one 8 years ago and that was through a job opening on Careerbuilder.

They say that they do screen job postings but from my own experience as someone who has posted job openings within the past 3 years on that website, as long as you have a valid credit card that clears and no one complains to them, it will go up.
    Last edited by Zaneypop; 03-09-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling

I once got such an email. Since I had not applied to the company for a job then I did not bother so much to get the job. I knew it was a scam.