+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Legalize Marijuana:

One of the most frustrating issues in my Country is the crimalization of people who smoke pot... I can not for the life of me figure out how Alcohol is legal and Weed isn't.... It is something I am passionate about and here is what I have found:

1: Well, weed is a gateway drug:
    Bull shit. Weed is not even on the map for leading to hard drugs. You know what is the #1 gateway drug??? ALCOHOL.

2: Abusing marijuana can cause health problems.
    Yes... So does over eating, drinking too much, Smoking too many cigarettes...

3: Pot is a hard core drug:
    No, it is not. Out of all the drugs in the world, inculding the legal ones, it is the least hard core drug available. If you drink too much you can die, if you OD on prescription drugs you can die... If you smoke too much weed you will fall asleep and probably get the best nights sleep of yout life

4: Prison time?
    It is absolutely a disgrace that people literally are serving long sentences for selling or smoking weed... What a waste of money.

5: Weed is super addictive:
    Weed has no adictive make up within it.

6: We can get prescriptions for pain, we dont need weed:
    People who are lucky enough to get weed for their pain, swear by it. Not too mention it is SOOOO less dangerous than prescription pain killers, ever read the side effects and possible long term problems???? Good god....

One thing That I am happy with in Massachusetts is the did de-criminalize it for anyone who has under an ounce of weed and that is only the first step.

Thoughts??
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Re: Legalize Marijuana:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleP View Post
    1: Well, weed is a gateway drug:
    Bull shit. Weed is not even on the map for leading to hard drugs. You know what is the #1 gateway drug??? ALCOHOL.
    I think weed is a gateway drug simply because to get it you have to buy it illegally, exposing you to other drugs someone can sell you. Going to the pub to get a beer doesnt. Unless your dealer is there, of course.

2: Abusing marijuana can cause health problems.
    Yes... So does over eating, drinking too much, Smoking too many cigarettes...
    Is it not carcinogenic, like tobacco? I dont disagree that theres no reason other than culture (and big corporations with huge profits) for treating it different than tobacco.

3: Pot is a hard core drug:
    No, it is not. Out of all the drugs in the world, inculding the legal ones, it is the least hard core drug available. If you drink too much you can die, if you OD on prescription drugs you can die... If you smoke too much weed you will fall asleep and probably get the best nights sleep of yout life
    Again, I think it's carcinogenic. Agree it doesnt cause the violence injury and deaths that alcohol does.

4: Prison time?
    It is absolutely a disgrace that people literally are serving long sentences for selling or smoking weed... What a waste of money.
    Smoking, I agree. Selling ... drug dealers should be locked up, they are a scourge on society. Not as much as the organised criminals at the top of the drug producing chain, but still. Tangent to another thread, but if there is a deterrant affect you agree with for bank robbers which necessitates a lengthy sentence regardless of circumstance, then surely the same applies to the guy who sells the crack and heroin ... in addition to weed. Of course I agree, legalise drugs and tightly control them, and there will be no dealers.

5: Weed is super addictive:
    Weed has no adictive make up within it.
    Not sure, not in the sense of some drugs.

6: We can get prescriptions for pain, we dont need weed:
    People who are lucky enough to get weed for their pain, swear by it. Not too mention it is SOOOO less dangerous than prescription pain killers, ever read the side effects and possible long term problems???? Good god....
    All drugs prescribed by professionals are a balance between pros and cons. No reason for not using cannabis the same way - even though it might be carcinogenic.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    While I don't currently smoke...or partake as we used to say.

I agree with most.

Your number one, I think when it is illegal it increases the liklihood of it having gateway issues by association. Decrminilization or Legalization would reduce any aspect of gateway to near zero.

In the 70's I was an active member of NORML

In the 80's I was actually against decriminalization....with the strength of the pot we had back then, use created an incredible amount of apathy and laziness.

I quit using years ago....but can conceed our laws are draconian, filling our prisons for no reasons, and creating an animosity toward our police forces that is unwarranted.
    I do smoke weed... I smoke it for one reason... I have a hard time shutting off at night. My mind races, I can not fall asleep easily. I smoke it because it relaxes my mind. I am not a big drinker, I have NEVER used any hard drugs. Also, as many of you know I am a BIG fitness guy. I am always in top shape....

I have almost no ill effects from smoking here and there. Of course if you become a complete pot head it will kill your motivation...

It is not addictive, you may form a habit from it but it is not physically addictive.

Alcohol, is 100x worse than marijuana, that is not an opinion, it is a fact.
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell

I don't think we should legalize marijuana. Legalizing it for medical use will be OK if we can prove it actually does more good for the patient than harm. It has been said marijuana slows down the production of white blood cells and can cause patients to get infections easily. It also can cause severe coughing which causes lung problems.

We are getting a handle on the use of tobacco and we know the problems alcohol causes our society. Why legalize another drug? I feel marijuana use will be like alcohol and once legalized we will see the problems legalizing it will cause society. Two reasons not to legalize the drug.

Here is an article I agree with which explains why marijuana is addictive and also can be a gateway drug.

Is Marijuana Addictive?

“Is Marijuana addictive?” It is a common question because most people automatically assume that it is not an addictive substance based on their knowledge of the drug and the culture that surrounds it. On the other hand, more and more people these days are seeking treatment for dependency on the drug, and some people definitely seem to show real signs of marijuana addiction. So what is the right answer? Is it addictive?
    Let’s take a look and find out. Take a quick glance at the chart down below that is based on a mountain of government data. It is indicating that for all of the people who have ever tried marijuana, 4 percent of them are currently meeting criteria for dependency on the drug. You can also see the numbers for some other drugs there.
    Now I know that when I was smoking weed every day and trying to justify my using, I would have seized on these numbers and said “Ha! See? Marijuana is the least addictive of these drugs!” This is a typical attempt to justify my addiction.
    But you see, 4 percent is actually pretty scary. Do you have any idea how many people try using Marijuana at some point? LOTS. So it is pretty significant that 4 percent develop dependence.
    Plus, what does it really matter if it is 1 percent or 90 percent? Some people do get addicted. Flat out. And that can have a huge impact on their lives.
    Traditional wisdom

The traditional wisdom regarding Marijuana use is that very few people even become habitual users of the drug. Many people try it at least once but most people do not turn into what we call “pot heads.” On the other hand, the same is true of alcohol. Again, check the chart. Pretty much everyone is exposed to alcohol at some point but very few people actually become alcoholics. So a low percentage of addiction is not really noteworthy, as this is the case with other addictive drugs as well.
    Now does habitual use mean that a person is addicted? Not necessarily. But in practical terms, this difference really does not matter much. If someone wants to change their life then the fine line between “bad habit” and “full blown addiction” really does not matter. Many people who become heavy users of Marijuana would like to quit for a variety of reasons, including some of the following:
    1) It is illegal and therefore risky behavior.
    2) Smoking it daily affects the health negatively (harsh cough, obvious damage to the lungs, etc.)
    3) The drug begins to dominate your lifestyle. It influences how you spend your time, the people you hang around with, etc. It thus limits your freedom.
    4) Smoking it daily stunts your personal and emotional growth. You use it to medicate your feelings instead of learning and growing through new situations.
    And so on. So there are a number of reasons that people would like to stop using Marijuana in order to improve their lives. The fact that some people experience these negative consequences but continue to use Marijuana points to the idea of addiction as well.
    But in addition to all this, consider the following points about Marijuana:
    * There is evidence that it activates reward centers in the brain.
    * Heavy users seem to develop tolerance (it takes more and more of the drug for them to reach the same level of “high”).
    * Withdrawal might be really mild, but people do report cravings, and others say they feel sluggish and “down” if they go without it.
    * Physical addiction in the body is beside the point, people get wrapped up in a lifestyle of smoking marijuana every day
    * There is evidence that Marijuana is indeed a gateway drug, and can lead users to other substances that are also harmful to them (though in reality, Marijuana addiction is bad enough, when you consider all of the negative ways in which it can and does impact a person’s life).
    All of these points seem to reinforce the idea that Marijuana is addictive, so let’s look at them in greater detail.
    Marijuana seems to be addictive in a physical sense for heavy users

A certain percentage of people who smoke Marijuana end up becoming very heavy users of it. These are people who smoke a lot of Marijuana every single day. For people in this class of user, it seems that they actually do experience some signs of physical addiction.
    For example, if they go through a day or two where they can not get any of the drug, they complain that they feel lethargic and depressed. These are difficult withdrawal symptoms to measure but they are definitely real symptoms nonetheless.
    Marijuana is clearly addictive in terms of psychological dependence

The biggest point here is not really physical addiction regarding Marijuana, but rather the idea of psychological addiction is what is important. This is because Marijuana is very addictive to some people in a psychological sense because the person uses the drug to basically escape reality and to medicate their feelings.
    For example, consider someone who has been smoking Marijuana for most of their life. They use the drug almost every day, and they justify the use of it for almost any situation. They get high to celebrate. They get high to compensate for a bad day at work. They get high when they feel sick in order to feel better. They get high when they have to deal with a bunch of drama in their life. Getting high became their default response to almost everything in their life, and so they developed this pattern of managing their entire life through getting high with Marijuana. This is addiction. They might not be physically hooked on the drug, but they rely on Marijuana as a crutch to get them through almost every event in their life. They are psychologically addicted.
    It is worth noting that anyone who is psychologically addicted to Marijuana like this is also cross addicted with other drug, whether they realize it or not. In other words, people who are self medicating in this manner could very easily switch to another drug or substance and find that it works just as well for them. In other words, they are in greater danger of experiencing cross addiction. This is due to the fact that they are not really hooked on Marijuana, instead they are addicted to medicating their emotions and using a chemical to escape from reality.
    Everyone who smokes Marijuana is not going to become psychologically addicted like this. But many people who smoke it every day for long periods of time are in danger of becoming psychologically addicted.
    Marijuana is clearly addictive in terms of a social dependency

The other way in which Marijuana is deeply addictive is in the social sense of the drug. This is what people are referring to when they say that someone is “addicted to the lifestyle.” People who smoke Marijuana together will naturally develop some level of social bond with each other. To give up smoking Marijuana is to give up this bond. Depending on the person, and also on how old they are, this can be a really big deal.
    This also points to how Marijuana use can become a self esteem issue for young people. They might try using Marijuana for the first time and realize suddenly that doing so has earned them “automatic friendship” among others who are also smoking. This is an instant ego boost for any young person who suffers from low self esteem. It is also easy to see why someone can become trapped in the cycle of addiction this way because they are not willing to walk away from their new friends.
    People who become heavy users of Marijuana will, over time, end up having a social network built up in their life of almost exclusively other Marijuana users. This is the lifestyle part of drug addiction that gives their life meaning. Part of staying hooked on Marijuana is in not wanting to abandon this network of friends.

Marijuana really is a gateway drug in some cases

The idea that Marijuana is a gateway drug has been thrown around a lot, but I believe that there is some truth to the theory based on my own experience. I started with Marijuana and the use of it made me curious enough to try alcohol and other drugs as well. It’s not real clear to me that Marijuana is actually the cause of experimenting with other drugs, as I think in most cases it is actually the result of that interest in exploring different “highs.” Nevertheless, smoking weed can definitely lead to trying other drugs, simply due to the social nature of the drug and the culture that surrounds it. If you smoke Marijuana long enough with a large variety of people then eventually you will be introduced to other substances as well. Whether or not you choose to use those other substances is up to you, but most people who are immersed into this drug culture are eventually going to explore a bit.
    In the end I don’t think this point matters much though, because marijuana addiction is bad enough all by itself, and it doesn’t much matter if it leads the user to “harder” drugs. To suggest that this is the main problem with Marijuana addiction is to belittle the fact that Marijuana use by itself is really quite harmful and damaging to a person on a number of different levels.
    Let’s look at it another way….addiction = loss of freedom

Regardless of whether or not you buy into the idea that Marijuana is addictive physically, socially, or psychologically, being caught up in the lifestyle of smoking weed on a regular basis is still going to ultimately mean the same thing: a loss of freedom.
    What more is addiction, really, then when you have to do something? You have lost your choice in the matter and now you have to smoke Marijuana in order to get by. If this is the case with you or someone you know, then it matters little if we label it as addiction or not. The fact of the matter is that they are trapped in a cycle and they have to smoke Marijuana in order to feel normal and to deal with their everyday life.
    In this way, it has become an emotional crutch for the user and they are using the drug to medicate their feelings. If something bad happens in their life, then they definitely need to smoke that day. If they become stressed out over events that have occurred in their life, they have to smoke then as well. Using a substance as an emotional crutch like this qualifies as an addiction in my book.
    Is Marijuana addictive? Only to the extent that it dominates someone’s life and removes their freedom. If you take a look at heavy marijuana users or people who smoke regularly, you will see that they are making great sacrifices and taking big risks in order to continue to self medicate with the drug.

http://www.spiritualriver.com/is-marijuana-addictive/

Here is another article about cannibus

Marijuana Raises Risk of Fatal Car Crash

French Study Shows Pot Smokers More Likely to Be Responsible for Deadly Accident

WebMD Health News

Dec. 1, 2005 - People who drive after using marijuana are nearly twice as likely to be involved in a fatal car crash.
    French researchers studied all drivers involved in fatal car crashes over a two-year period and found 7% tested positive for marijuana, including nearly 3% who tested positive for a combination of marijuana and alcohol.
    Although marijuana's share of fatal crashes is much lower than those attributed to alcohol, researchers say the results show that marijuana use, even in low doses, significantly increases the risk of fatal car accidents.
    More Pot, More Deaths

In the study, published in the medical journal BMJ, researchers reviewed information on 10,748 drivers who were involved in fatal car crashes and took required tests for drugs and alcohol.
    Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers.
    Researchers say about 2.5% of the fatal crashes were attributable to marijuana compared with nearly 29% attributable to alcohol.
    The study also showed that drivers who tested positive for marijuana were more than three times as likely to be responsible for the fatal car crash. Researchers say the likelihood of being at fault increased as the blood concentration of marijuana increased

Tulip... Marijuana is far less damaging than Tabacco. Unless you smoke Weed like cigarettes, then fine but that would be a lot of smoking... Even so, Marijuana has none of the chemicals in it that Cigarettes do...

Now, I do not get sick. I very rarely get a common cold, I am in great shape and I smoke pot. I would much rather smoke a bowl than have some doctor prescribe me some synthetic pain killer that can cause damage to my liver and kill me if used enough.

No one is addicted to weed. You take every single drug that is legal right now and the lwast harmful to you by leaps and bounds is marijuana.

There is absolutely no excuse as to why Alcohol is legal and Pot isn't.

- Thomas Sowell

Tulip... Marijuana is far less damaging than Tabacco. Unless you smoke Weed like cigarettes, then fine but that would be a lot of smoking... Even so, Marijuana has none of the chemicals in it that Cigarettes do...

Now, I do not get sick. I very rarely get a common cold, I am in great shape and I smoke pot. I would much rather smoke a bowl than have some doctor prescribe me some synthetic pain killer that can cause damage to my liver and kill me if used enough.

No one is addicted to weed. You take every single drug that is legal right now and the lwast harmful to you by leaps and bounds is marijuana.

You must also remember that not everyone's reaction to the use of it is the same. Some may tolerate it more than others. What is good for one may well make another sick or even kill them as in the use of asprins for example. It can and does impair ones ability while driving. Long term use may lessen the chance of an accident as a tolerance is built up.

Defining A Rational ‘Drugged Driving’ Policy
    The above review illustrates the need for further education and understanding regarding the effects of cannabis upon driving behavior. While pot’s adverse impact on psychomotor skills is less severe than the effects of alcohol, driving under the acute influence of cannabis still may pose an elevated risk of accident in certain situations. However, because marijuana’s psychomotor impairment is subtle and short-lived, consumers can greatly reduce this risk by refraining from driving for a period of several hours following their cannabis use.
    By contrast, motorists should never be encouraged to operate a vehicle while smoking cannabis. Drivers should also be advised that engaging in the simultaneous use of both cannabis and alcohol can significantly increase their risk of accident compared to the consumption of either substance alone.32-33 Past use of cannabis, as defined by the detection of inactive cannabis metabolites in the urine of drivers, is not associated with an increased accident risk.34
    Educational or public service campaigns targeting drugged driving behavior should particularly be aimed toward the younger driving population age 16 to 25 – as this group is most likely use cannabis35 and report having operated a motor vehicle shortly after consuming pot.36 In addition, this population may have less driving experience, may be more prone to engage in risk-taking behavior, and may be more naďve to pot’s psychoactive effects than older, more experienced populations. This population also reports a greater likelihood for having driven after using cannabis in combinations with other illicit drugs or alcohol.37 Such an educational campaign38 was recently launched nationwide in Canada by the Canadian Public Health Association and could readily be replicated in the United States. Arguably, such a campaign would enjoy enhanced credibility if coordinated by a private public health association or traffic safety organization, such as the American Public Health Association or the AAA Automobile Club, as opposed to the federal Office of National Drug Control Policy – whose previous public service campaigns have demonstrated limited influence among younger audiences.39
    Finally, increased efforts should be made within the law enforcement community to train officers and DREs (drug recognition experts) to better identify drivers who may be operating a vehicle while impaired by marijuana. In Australia, efforts have been made to adapt elements of the roadside Standardized Field Sobriety Test to make it sensitive to drivers who may be under the influence of cannabis. Scientific evaluations of these tests have shown that subjects’ performance on the modified SFSTs may be positively associated with dose-related levels of marijuana impairment.40 Similarly, clinical testing for cannabis impairment among suspected drugged drivers in Norway has been positively associated with identifying drivers with THC/blood concentrations above 3ng/ml.41
    Though the development of such cannabis-specific impairment testing is still in its infancy, an argument may be made for the provisional use of such tests by specially trained members of law enforcement. In addition, the development of cannabis-sensitive technology to rapidly identify the presence of THC in drivers, such as a roadside saliva test, would provide utility to law enforcement in their efforts to better identify intoxicated drivers. The development of such technology would also increase public support for the taxation and regulation of cannabis by helping to assuage concerns that liberalizing marijuana policies could potentially lead to an increase in incidences of drugged driving.42 Such concerns are a significant impediment to the enactment of marijuana law reform, and must be sufficiently addressed before a majority of the public will embrace any public policy that proposes regulating adult cannabis use like alcohol.
    Paul Armentano is the Deputy Director of NORML and the NORML Foundation. Mr. Armentano is an expert in the field of marijuana policy, health, and pharmacology. He has spoken at numerous national conferences and legal seminars, testified before several state legislatures and federal bodies, and assisted dozens of criminal defense attorneys in cases pertaining to the use of medicinal cannabis and drugged driving. He has attended various international conferences on the subject of cannabis and psychomotor impairment, including those sponsored by the Society of Forensic Toxicologists (SOFT) and the The International Council on Alcohol, Drugs & Traffic Safety (ICADTS), and coordinated lobbying efforts to successfully liberalize so-called ‘zero tolerant’ drugged driving laws in Virginia and Ohio. He is the author of the 2006 cover story, "Cannabis and Zero Tolerance Per Se DUID Legislation: A Special (and Problematic) Case," for Florida Defender, the journal of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. (FACDL). He may be contacted via e-mail at: paul@norml.org.

Some facts:

This collection of myths and facts is based on the book Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts: A Review of the Scientific Evidence . A decade after the book was published, the latest scientific evidence continues to support the original findings.

Myth: Marijuana is Highly Addictive. Long term marijuana users experience physical dependence and withdrawal, and often need professional drug treatment to break their marijuana habits.

Fact: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Myth: Marijuana Has No Medicinal Value. Safer, more effective drugs are available. They include a synthetic version of THC, marijuana's primary active ingredient, which is marketed in the United States under the name Marinol.

Fact: Marijuana has been shown to be effective in reducing the nausea induced by cancer chemotherapy, stimulating appetite in AIDS patients, and reducing intraocular pressure in people with glaucoma. There is also appreciable evidence that marijuana reduces muscle spasticity in patients with neurological disorders. A synthetic capsule is available by prescription, but it is not as effective as smoked marijuana for many patients. Pure THC may also produce more unpleasant psychoactive side effects than smoked marijuana. Many people use marijuana as a medicine today, despite its illegality. In doing so, they risk arrest and imprisonment.

Myth: Marijuana is a Gateway Drug. Even if marijuana itself causes minimal harm, it is a dangerous substance because it leads to the use of "harder drugs" like heroin, LSD, and cocaine.

Fact: Marijuana does not cause people to use hard drugs. What the gateway theory presents as a causal explanation is a statistic association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and LSD, are likely to have also used marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the large majority of people, marijuana is a terminus rather than a gateway drug.

Myth: Marijuana's Harms Have Been Proved Scientifically. In the 1960s and 1970s, many people believed that marijuana was harmless. Today we know that marijuana is much more dangerous than previously believed.

Fact: In 1972, after reviewing the scientific evidence, the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse concluded that while marijuana was not entirely safe, its dangers had been grossly overstated. Since then, researchers have conducted thousands of studies of humans, animals, and cell cultures. None reveal any findings dramatically different from those described by the National Commission in 1972. In 1995, based on thirty years of scientific research editors of the British medical journal Lancet concluded that "the smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health."

Myth: Marijuana Kills Brain Cells. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

Fact: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study.

Myth: Marijuana Causes Crime. Marijuana users commit more property offenses than nonusers. Under the influence of marijuana, people become irrational, aggressive, and violent.

Fact: Every serious scholar and government commission examining the relationship between marijuana use and crime has reached the same conclusion: marijuana does not cause crime. The vast majority of marijuana users do not commit crimes other than the crime of possessing marijuana. Among marijuana users who do commit crimes, marijuana plays no causal role. Almost all human and animal studies show that marijuana decreases rather than increases aggression.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

- Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    But in addition to all this, consider the following points about Marijuana:
    * There is evidence that it activates reward centers in the brain.
    * Heavy users seem to develop tolerance (it takes more and more of the drug for them to reach the same level of “high”).
    * Withdrawal might be really mild, but people do report cravings, and others say they feel sluggish and “down” if they go without it.
    * Physical addiction in the body is beside the point, people get wrapped up in a lifestyle of smoking marijuana every day
    * There is evidence that Marijuana is indeed a gateway drug, and can lead users to other substances that are also harmful to them (though in reality, Marijuana addiction is bad enough, when you consider all of the negative ways in which it can and does impact a person’s life).
    All of these points seem to reinforce the idea that Marijuana is addictive, so let’s look at them in greater detail.
    Marijuana seems to be addictive in a physical sense for heavy users
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that the same could be said of chocolate, coffee, exercise, sex.... Where does it end?

I completely agree that marijuana should be legalised. I don't use it, but I don't believe anyone has the right to tell me I can't.

However, in the last few years there has been a lot of research showing links between marijuana and mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. It's a small risk compared to smoking or drinking, but marijuana is not completely harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that the same could be said of chocolate, coffee, exercise, sex.... Where does it end?

I completely agree that marijuana should be legalised. I don't use it, but I don't believe anyone has the right to tell me I can't.

However, in the last few years there has been a lot of research showing links between marijuana and mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. It's a small risk compared to smoking or drinking, but marijuana is not completely harmless.
    Nothing is harmless.... It is the level of problems....

You eat too much you are going to get fat and increase your chance to die early.

Smoke cigarettes and you will die if you smoke a decent amount..

Drink alcohol too much and you will kill your liver....

Smoke Weed too much and you probably will become lazy and clouded??? No one reall knows because marijuana has no big side effects or any known long term effects of anything....

Myth: Marijuana Can Cause Permanent Mental Illness. Among adolescents, even occasional marijuana use may cause psychological damage. During intoxication, marijuana users become irrational and often behave erratically.

Fact: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.

• Iverson, Leslie. “Long-term effects of exposure to cannabis.” Current Opinion in Pharmacology 5(2005): 69-72.
    • Weiser and Noy. “Interpreting the association between cannabis use and increased risk of schizophrenia.” Dialogues in Clincal Neuroscience 1(2005): 81-85.
    • "Cannabis use will impair but not damage mental health." London Telegraph. 23 January 2006.
    • Andreasson, S. et al. “Cannabis and Schizophrenia: A Longitudinal study of Swedish Conscripts,” The Lancet 2 (1987): 1483-86.
    • Degenhardt, Louisa, Wayne Hall and Michael Lynskey. “Testing hypotheses about the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 71 (2003): 42-4.
    • Weil, A. “Adverse Reactions to Marijuana: Classification and Suggested Treatment.” New England Journal of Medicine 282 (1970): 997-1000.
    Last edited by DoubleP; 11-15-2010 at 10:32 AM.

- Thomas Sowell

Nothing is harmless.... It is the level of problems....

You eat too much you are going to get fat and increase your chance to die early.

Smoke cigarettes and you will die if you smoke a decent amount..

Drink alcohol too much and you will kill your liver....

Smoke Weed too much and you probably will become lazy and clouded??? No one reall knows because marijuana has no big side effects or any known long term effects of anything....

Myth: Marijuana Can Cause Permanent Mental Illness. Among adolescents, even occasional marijuana use may cause psychological damage. During intoxication, marijuana users become irrational and often behave erratically.

Fact: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.

• Iverson, Leslie. “Long-term effects of exposure to cannabis.” Current Opinion in Pharmacology 5(2005): 69-72.
    • Weiser and Noy. “Interpreting the association between cannabis use and increased risk of schizophrenia.” Dialogues in Clincal Neuroscience 1(2005): 81-85.
    • "Cannabis use will impair but not damage mental health." London Telegraph. 23 January 2006.
    • Andreasson, S. et al. “Cannabis and Schizophrenia: A Longitudinal study of Swedish Conscripts,” The Lancet 2 (1987): 1483-86.
    • Degenhardt, Louisa, Wayne Hall and Michael Lynskey. “Testing hypotheses about the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 71 (2003): 42-4.
    • Weil, A. “Adverse Reactions to Marijuana: Classification and Suggested Treatment.” New England Journal of Medicine 282 (1970): 997-1000.
    Well, like I said, last couple of years. In any case, if you read those journal abstracts it's enough to see that it's still unclear exactly what the situation is. The first one basically says "Yes, there's evidence that it causes mental illness, but we can't be sure that the illness is permanent." But whatever the case, the risk to your health is small compared to something like alcohol.

We could debate this all day long.

I am just going to say I think for everyone it is better to learn to sleep, relax, have fun and live your life without using a drug. Any drug.

We need to take good care of ourselves so we are physically and mentally healthy.

You must remember DP everyone is not alike. Some people are going to have problems from using this drug.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post

Society makes laws and they do have the right to tell you what you can and can't do. Does not mean you cannot choose to break the law.

I feel we are all better off being drug free.

Lots of problems in our society from drugs both illegal and legal.

We need to be as healthy as we can. Both physically and mentally.

Whatever the reason you want to smoke pot there is a better and healthier way to acheive what you are after.

Society makes laws and they do have the right to tell you what you can and can't do. Does not mean you cannot choose to break the law.

I feel we are all better off being drug free.

Lots of problems in our society from drugs both illegal and legal.

We need to be as healthy as we can. Both physically and mentally.

Whatever the reason you want to smoke pot there is a better and healthier way to acheive what you are after.
    Thats fair enough, but the problem is consistency - if thats the attitude with weed, it should be so for alcohol. If its not true for alcohol (a much more damaging drug to others) then it should be for weed.

Consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    Thats fair enough, but the problem is consistency - if thats the attitude with weed, it should be so for alcohol. If its not true for alcohol (a much more damaging drug to others) then it should be for weed.

Consistency.
    To me this and what DP has said to legalize pot because alcohol is far worse is crazy.

Yes I agree alcohol is terrible.

Terrible for society. Most crimes are committed under the influence of alcohol. Almost every offender in prison was under the influence of alcohol when they committed the crime.

Why would we want another drug legalized that could cause some problems in our society.

Don't we already have enough problems?

We could debate this all day long.

I am just going to say I think for everyone it is better to learn to sleep, relax, have fun and live your life without using a drug. Any drug.

We need to take good care of ourselves so we are physically and mentally healthy.

You must remember DP everyone is not alike. Some people are going to have problems from using this drug.
    I underlined that key point, everyone is not a like and telling them they can swish down whiskey like its water and then pray they dont die of alcohol poisoning all while throwing people in prison for smoking marijuana is a joke...

You will be hard pressed to find someone healthier than me. I am a fitness guru, it is my hobby... Why do I smoke pot on occasion? Because it is a 100% earth grown herb. It is a plant and it has very little health risks and the bennies are many.

I would smoke pot over taking some synthetic pill that the risks are worse than the cure.

Legalise it...
    Last edited by DoubleP; 11-15-2010 at 11:42 AM.

- Thomas Sowell