+ Reply to Thread

Verify the last 4 of your Social????

This morning, I received a telephone call and the conversation went as follows:

• Caller: Good morning, may I speak to Mr. John M***** please?
    • Me: Yes, this is he; who is this?
    • C: Mr. M*****? Is this Mr. John M*****?
    • M: Yes, this is he, who is this???
    • C: I can’t disclose that Mr. M***** until you verify the last 4 of your Social Security; is it 3556??
    • M: WHAT??? Who is this??
    • C: Sorry, I can’t disclose that information until you verify the last 4 of your Social Security…is it 3556???
    • M: You’ve got to be crazy!!!! Send me a letter!!! Goodbye!!!

At which point I hung up…

I can imagine how many people are caught off guard and ‘correct’ the Soc. Security number….

Re: Verify the last 4 of your Social????

Play with their minds, tell them that 3556 is correct, see where it goes.

As long as you don't give out the correct information.

I usually just tell them I am on the "no call' list, can I have THEIR name and phone number...

I have a common last name.

In the past three months my daughter and myself have had two different phone companies after us. Collection agencies working for the two phone companies. We are not the people they are after but have the same first and last name. Different middle initials.

They call you, and then file court documents and sue you leaving you to have to go to either the court house or attorneys office to prove you are not the person they are after.

You prove this with the last four digits of your SS # or the entire number.

Then I have been told to hire an attorney and sue the company who put you through this as it is illegal.

Anyone know how to handle this kind of situation other than the way I haver described?

The OP could have been asked for the last four digits of his SS# because this was a collection agency trying to find someone with the same name as this person who answered the phone. If it was a collection agency you will be hassled further.
    Last edited by Tulip; 11-14-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: corrections for typeos

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I have a common last name.

In the past three months my daughter and myself have had two different phone companies after us. Collection agencies working for the two phone companies. We are not the people they are after but have the same first and last name. Different middle initials.

They call you, and then file court documents and sue you leaving you to have to go to either the court house or attorneys office to prove you are not the person they are after.

You prove this with the last four digits of your SS # or the entire number.

Then I have been told to hire an attorney and sue the company who put you through this as it is illegal.

Anyone know how to handle this kind of situation other than the way I haver described?

The OP could have been asked for the last four digits of his SS# because this was a collection agency trying to find someone with the same name as this person who answered the phone. If it was a collection agency you will be hassled further.
    Good post by Tulip.

Sad when you are deemed quilty until proven innocent by these scumbags, when you are actually the victim.