+ Reply to Thread

Email from an obvious con artist

I just received an email from someone actually within my contacts that I haven't been in touch with for over 2 years. Found it odd, because he is Chinese and doesn't speak English perfectly. He is also a Gmail contact, but I guess even they get hacked. So that could be the case, or it could be that this acquaintance happens to be a con artist.

Luckily, I had recently done a lot of research for an article specifically on con artists exactly like this.

The following is the email he sent me:

Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    subjectHelp!!!
    mailed-bygmail.com
    signed-bygmail.com

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my fam and I came down here to London,England for a short vacation,it was fun but unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves in few hrs from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills..

I am freaked out at the moment
    Yin Pan

The email address he used is:
    pn9yn9@gmail.com

Just wanted to send out a warning. Would be such a shame if this is actually from the person that I used to be acquainted, but I highly doubt it. Please be careful. It might not always be a stranger's email that you see. A con artist could be hacking your friends' accounts.

Re: Email from an obvious con artist

Yes, 100% scam.

It is sometimes called the "trapped in London" fraud or "holiday/vacation traveler scam".

That email contains nearly all the red flags of this type of scam.
    1) Sudden vacation
    2) Robbed/mugged of cell, cash, credit cards but not passport
    3) Police and Embassy are uncooperative
    4) Flight leaves within hours
    5) Hotel manger is holding them hostage
    6) Is able to find constant, free internet access to send pleading emails

The next email would include
    :
    7) Demand to send cash via Western Union or moneygram
    8) Refusal to give out hotel name/address/phone number, refusal of deposit into bank account to pay bill
    9) Refusal of you contacting police/embassy, refusing a visit by friend/family member with money
    10) Demand that you send cash right now, increasingly rude, pleading and desperate emails

While your friend's email address may have been hacked, it is more likely that he responded to a phishing email. That type of scammer will send out emails saying something like: "your email address will be closed/shut down unless you verify your name, security questions and password" and include a link to the scammer's fake gmail/hotmail/yahoo site.

If you have any acquaintances in common, you could contact them and alert them that your old friend did not send out that email. There is a possibility that one of them will fall for this scam. Do you still have his cell phone number? You could call him and let him know what happened, in case he doesn't realize that scammer's have accessed his gmail account.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Re: Email from an obvious con artist

Quote Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
    Yes, 100% scam.

It is sometimes called the "trapped in London" fraud or "holiday/vacation traveler scam".

That email contains nearly all the red flags of this type of scam.
    1) Sudden vacation
    2) Robbed/mugged of cell, cash, credit cards but not passport
    3) Police and Embassy are uncooperative
    4) Flight leaves within hours
    5) Hotel manger is holding them hostage
    6) Is able to find constant, free internet access to send pleading emails

The next email would include
    :
    7) Demand to send cash via Western Union or moneygram
    8) Refusal to give out hotel name/address/phone number, refusal of deposit into bank account to pay bill
    9) Refusal of you contacting police/embassy, refusing a visit by friend/family member with money
    10) Demand that you send cash right now, increasingly rude, pleading and desperate emails

While your friend's email address may have been hacked, it is more likely that he responded to a phishing email. That type of scammer will send out emails saying something like: "your email address will be closed/shut down unless you verify your name, security questions and password" and include a link to the scammer's fake gmail/hotmail/yahoo site.

If you have any acquaintances in common, you could contact them and alert them that your old friend did not send out that email. There is a possibility that one of them will fall for this scam. Do you still have his cell phone number? You could call him and let him know what happened, in case he doesn't realize that scammer's have accessed his gmail account.
    Good evaluation Meri,

This is pretty much what scammers do these days. As a matter of fact, there is now a kind of software that can analyze a small group of text statements written by a person and produce a synthetic email that's almost impossible to distinguish from a genuine email written by the same person.
    Heuristics has come a long way.