+ Reply to Thread

Can Twins Have Two Different Fathers?

Yep.

http://health.msn.com/experts/articl...37074&GT1=8211

I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall in that delivery room. :D

Re: Can Twins Have Two Different Fathers?

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    Yep.

The link doesn't work for me, does it work for you if you click it again?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    The link doesn't work for me, does it work for you if you click it again?
    Ask the Experts

Can Twins Have Two Fathers? and Other Answers to Readers Questions

by Tiffany Owens for MSN Health & Fitness
    Meet the Experts

The Internet can be a handy research tool to find answers to those most-pressing medical questions. But often, it can return confusing-even conflicting information. With so many urban legends and medical myths floating around, it's difficult to know what to believe.

But help has arrived: Here, a panel of medical professionals answers the top nine quirkiest health questions, as submitted by readers of our Ask the Experts section.

I am pregnant with twins and need to know if my babies can be one day older than the other? Can I have one baby by one dad and the other by another dad?

Not only is it possible for fraternal twins to have different fathers, it�s on the medical record books. This official medical term for this phenomenon is heteropaternal superfecundation.

The classic case was recorded in 1810 by John Archer, the first doctor to receive a medical degree in the U.S. According to Dr. Archer, a white woman who had sex with a black man and a white man within a short time of each other subsequently gave birth to twins�one white, one mulatto. Other cases have been reported since. And you thought this only happened with puppies?

Sperm cells can live inside a woman's body for four to five days. Once ovulation occurs, the egg remains viable for another 12 to 48 hours before it begins to disintegrate; thus, the fertile period can span five to seven days.

Dr. Lawrence B. Werlin, founder and director of the Coastal Fertility Medical Center in Irvine, Calif., explains, If the twins are fraternal, where two eggs (ova) are fertilized by two sperm and produce two genetically unique children, then one baby could be slightly older than the other. In addition, if a woman ovulates, releases two eggs and has intercourse with two different men, the eggs could be fertilized by both, resulting in fraternal twins with distinctive fathers.

Historically, superfecundation has been difficult to prove, due to the crudeness of the blood-type testing methods. However, in 1978, Dr. Paul Terasaki of the UCLA School of Medicine reported in the New England Journal of Medicine that he and his colleagues had conclusively established a case of superfecundation using a sophisticated procedure called tissue HLA (or human leukocyte antigen) testing. Potential paternity-suit litigants, take note: This technique can also be applied to more conventional cases.

Is it true that when you're a carrier for strep throat that you get an itchy butt?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that "group A streptococcus is a bacterium often found in the throat and on the skin. People may carry group A streptococci in the throat or on the skin and have no symptoms of illness. Most GAS infections are relatively mild illnesses such as 'strep throat,' or impetigo."

It is estimated that between five and 15 percent of children are carriers of strep. However, because they are "carriers," they are usually not contagious and do not require any treatment. Pediatricians assert that the greatest risk to carriers is that they might be treated repeatedly and unnecessarily with antibiotics.

Itchy throat, nose and eyes are common side effects for strep throat; however, an itchy bottom may be a sign of hemorrhoids (or that a little more attention should be paid to taking care of business in the bathroom).

Next: Can Bowel Movements Cause Headaches?

Page 1 of 4 Next >

Find More Expert Answers on MSN Health & Fitness:

2006 Microsoft
    Last edited by BAILEYSCREAMS_REVENGE; 06-12-2006 at 06:31 AM.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

Yep.

Thanks, it made very interesting reading.:)

No problem... It was an msnbc news story, and I knew the link would eventually break. Couldn't edit after an hour, though.

No problem... It was an msnbc news story, and I knew the link would eventually break. Couldn't edit after an hour, though.
    The link works fine for me, I just clicked it and it opens up fine. But I just noticed that if you cut and paste it, it won't work.

Subjunk, Try right clicking, and then use copy link location and then paste in your browser.

Later.
    Last edited by BAILEYSCREAMS_REVENGE; 06-12-2006 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BAILEYSCREAMS_REVENGE
    heteropaternal superfecundation
    Over here we call it "lying cheating *****", often further explained with words like "divorce".

All you cheatin pregnant with twins women beware...I bet women have been scared of this happening for years, hell it's probably happened more than we realize being that the kids would have to be of different ethnic backgrounds to cause immediate questions to arise.

I think it is important to note that they are 'Fraternal' twins, and not identical twins. I think when you use the word 'twins' everyone assumes identical.

So while Fraternal twins may possibly come from two different fathers, it is impossible for identical twins to come from different fathers.

Shane

ok.....i just flew over the topic.and i have to ask............are you inviting me over to fraternize!?i love hands on proof!?(up close -n-personal!?)hehe!!just askin....

That's F#%ing Crazy!! Awsome!
    Wow! And Yeah, Talk Shows Like Maury Are Gonna Have Their Ratings Go Up! Lol With Twin Paternity Tests!! Lol

In a lecture series I was listening to recently on behavioural evolution, the lecturer mentioned in one of the lectures that a significant number of non-identical twins have different fathers. From memory, I think it was as high as 9% or so. (In context, it was in relation to how difficult it is looking at nature vs. nurture arguments, where identical and non-identical twins are very useful for research)

TheWorker Guest

I saw this episode on Maury Povich recently, you know those sick ones where they say "Mike, in the case of little johnny, you ARE NOT the father" then Mike does a breakdance of happines onstage while the usually ugly woman starts crying.

Anyways on it once was a case where a woman had twins and they had diabetes or some weird disease and the father-in-question wanted nothing to do with them, so the obvious answer was go to maury povich to get tested. Apparently only ONE of the twins was his, and the woman admitted to sleeping with two guys within hours of one another. Then we were told that in fact twins can come about by two different sperms, ie two diff men, ie two DIFFERENT FATHERS.

simply amazing...amazingly disgusting, but amazing nonetheles,,,,

Next we'll have to look for the "hat-trick" with triplets.

Do we have any betters on weather Maurey or Springer will get it first?

My money is on Springer.