+ Reply to Thread

Scam cheap iPhone 4 (mercadolibre.pa)

I have been looking for a cheap iPhone4 to buy - cheaper than in Brazil, at least, where you cant buy one for less than 1200usd. Ok, than I found some 'sellers' at MercadoLibre.pa, actually I have a relative living in Panama and I thought I could ask him to get the product personally with the seller.

I realized cause of the cheap prices that the deals I tried to get could be scams but tried yet sending them emails, asking for conditions and so on. But I held back after I heard from the three different sellers I was in contact with I couldnt pay using Paypal, only by Western Union, and that I could even use other person's name to adress the WU deposit (which later, here, I found out it wouldnt stop the guy from getting the money anyway once he had the WU number).

I started looking for similar scams in Google before proceding and found this place, so now Im sure the thing is a scam. Also I thought I should go on talking to the guy to see how far he would go and as soon as I didnt send him any money I would be safe and would have the story to share here so other people wouldnt be scammed.

Ok, I WASNT scammed, because I havent sent any of them money. I am talking to 3 sellers, one of them even called me yesterday, woke me up ten in the morning of a sunday, trying to push me into sending him my full name and address. And I did sent them my personal information - email, full name and address, even phone. One of them is now claiming that prefers to do the transaction by ebay and will have ebay to send me an email (I know that is just unconceivable, you cant sell something on ebay to someone who hasnt bid on the item).

All I wanna know is: since theyve got all my personal information, and I know that is a scam and wont be sending any money, how harm can they cause me with the information they already have about me, like email, address, phone etc?

Tks and keep the good work!
    Last edited by apbsf; 11-01-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: (SEO in post title)

Re: Almost scammed - but I was cautelous

Glad to hear that you figured out it was a scam before losing money.
    I realized cause of the cheap prices that the deals I tried to get could be scams but tried yet sending them emails, asking for conditions and so on. But I held back after I heard from the three different sellers I was in contact with I couldnt pay using Paypal, only by Western Union, and that I could even use other person's name to adress the WU deposit (which later, here, I found out it wouldnt stop the guy from getting the money anyway once he had the WU number).
    True, Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

One of them is now claiming that prefers to do the transaction by ebay and will have ebay to send me an email (I know that is just unconceivable, you cant sell something on ebay to someone who hasnt bid on the item).
    Again, true. You would have received an email from "ebay @ gmail", "ebay_buyers_protection_programme @hotmail" or something similar. Just another of the scammer's free email addresses that would demand you pay by Western Union or moneygram, send the MTCN# and question/answer to the fake ebay email and they will 'hold' the money until you received the phone.

All I wanna know is: since theyve got all my personal information, and I know that is a scam and wont be sending any money, how harm can they cause me with the information they already have about me, like email, address, phone etc?
    Doubtful that the scammer is going to do much with your personal information as he figured if you send such personal data that you believe his scam and will send him your hard-earned cash. What he could do is put you on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of lost money, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell you email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram. He will also call you at all hours of the day, just ignore and delete any phone calls or email.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Good luck with the search, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find a legit seller that is selling any electronic item cheaper than the official manufacture's website. Anyone who is selling cheap electronics would have a huge line outside their warehouse and would not need to advertise on the internet, unless they are selling cheap Chinese knock-offs or selling nothing at all.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Thank you so much for all the attention and information.
    About posting their e-mail here, I will surely do, I googled their address and couldnt find anything bad about these specific addresses yet:

b2btradeltd@hotmail.com
    He claims his name is Scott Perry and that he is in the UK. Saw the offert at mercadolibre.pa. But he has chinese accent (he called me) and somehow a bad english, mine is not perfect but his had major flaws. He sent me a pic from the 'warehouse', I tried to get the exif data from it, but couldnt. Then I searched in a reverse image search website and found lots of possible scammers using the same image, probably they just got on ebay from some real seller. E-mail sent is in spanish and follows:

Hola,

Gracias por su correo y el interés,
    El producto de manzana que vendemos son todos de marca nueva y entendemos en el mensaje que has enviado a nosotros que usted está realmente confundida sobre qué comprar, pero para mí me hubiera sugerido comprar el iPhone de Apple 4g 32gb bien.

Apple Iphone 4 32GB ........................... € 400
    Apple IPAD 64gb ........ € 400

POLÍTICA DE DEVOLUCIÓN: Ofrecemos un total de 30 días 100 Guarantee.If% de devolución del dinero que
    no está completamente satisfecho con su compra por cualquier razón usted está
    derecho a nuestro completo del 100% de devolución de dinero-Guarantee.Just enviar su solicitud
    por escrito, y usted recibirá un reembolso completo.

Para continuar, vuelva a nosotros con su
    Nombre y apellidos:
    orden completo:
    Dirección de envío completa:
    País:
    Cremallera completa código postal:
    contacto personal número de teléfono para que nosotros y registrar su solicitud para el envío.
    Esperamos su pronta respuesta y la esperanza de construir un largo
    relación de negocios.
    tildaubine@gmail.com
    Also put an offert at mercadolibre.pa. Claims that will send me the iPhone via UPS, that ebay and mercadolibre will now contact me so the transaction will be safe, and most important, told me the price of the phone before I even told him what capacity I wanted (32GB or 16GB), whats pretty stupid and can raise suspections from the beggining. He says his name is Gabriel.

Hello,

The buy it now price is 400 US$ with shipping cost included .Also the product will be
    shipped via UPS Air , and you will receive the product in max 2 days.( For the shipping i
    will use my UPS account , so you do not have to worry about it )
    The product is brand new , in the original box,with original accessories with all papers
    inside and international warranty.
    We can make the deal safe for both of us through MercadoLibre and eBay .
    They will give us all the details about the deal.
    I will contact them and arrange the deal safe.
    If you accept please give me your full name and address.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    Zip Code:

Waiting reply
    Regards

vende3mii@yahoo.com
    Ironically, he identifies himself in the email by the name Me ILIE, also found on mercadolibre.pa. Says he works on a big electronics company, so thats why he can sell this cheap (600USD). Also says the business will be intermediated by ebay and mercadolibre.pa and that I will receive an email from them to proceed. Follows the email also in spanish:

Hola,

Quiero vender para 600 US$ .Artículo es completamente nuevo ,con todos los accesorios,todos los papeles ,2 anos garantía internacional y factura.El precio incluye envía y los impuestos del seguro del paquete a su puerta de la casa.Envío está por Aire de UPS y es rápido,en sólo 2 días el artículo es la entrega en la puerta de su casa y usted tiene 15 dias para inspeccionar y probar el articulo.Ahora estoy en Europa,trabajo para una grande compañía de proveedor de electrónica,y puedo obtaine estes artículos para un precio más bajo,esto es el razon por lo cual lo estoy vendiendo tan barato.Porque estoy en Europa debemos utilizar un intermediario y yo creo que lo mejor intermediario que podemos usar es MercadoLibre y eBay por esta yo prefiero hacer el trato bajo la protección de eBay y MercadoLibre.Ellos nos darán todos detalles acerca de pago y envío y hace ofer nosotros un trato seguro.Si usted acepta mi oferta para esta artículo,deme por favor su envío detalla tan puedo contactar MercadoLibre para iniciar los procedimientos de pago y envío del producto y para hacer el trato seguro:

Nombre:
    Dirección:

Ciudad:
    Pais:

Código postal:
    Número de teléfono:

Piensalo y lejame saber por favor lo antes posible!
    Gracias

keywords:
    iphone 4, scam, mercadolibre.pa, business, apple, e-mail order, western union, moneygram, paypal, ebay
    Last edited by apbsf; 11-01-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: forgot one important keyword for indexing

Thanks for posting up those emails and email addresses. Whether in English or Spanish, those emails are all from a scammer. As one of the scammers claims to be in the UK, I wanted to add that there is one more 'red flag' to look for in a scammer's email, the use of a phone number that starts with +44-70.

Any phone number that starts with +44-70 or anything similar is not based in the United Kingdom. It is from a UK based cell phone redirect service that can be answered by anyone anywhere in the world. It is a favorite service of scammers who want to pretend to be in the United Kingdom but are really half way around the world from there.

told me the price of the phone before I even told him what capacity I wanted (32GB or 16GB), whats pretty stupid and can raise suspections from the beggining.
    That is good, if he is making mistakes with your emails, hopefully he is making mistakes with another potential victim's emails and they will also realize it is a scam.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Same happened to me. Here are the details:

Link to the scam:
    http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.pa/...it-w-24-10-_JM

Hello,

The buy it now price for 5D is 1100 US$ and for redrock is 300 US$ with shipping cost included. Also the product will be shipped via UPS Air , and you will receive the product in max 2 days.( For the shipping i will use my UPS account , so you do not have to worry about it )
    The product is brand new in the original box,with original accessories and with all papers inside and international warranty.
    *We can make the deal safe for both of us through MercadoLibre and eBay. They will give us all the details about the deal.
    I will contact them and arrange the deal safe. If you accept please give me your full name and address.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    Zip Code:
    Waiting reply

Be aware of pierrematha@hotmail.fr or pierrematha@gmail.com!!!!!
    He mailed me the same all above, exactlt.So i hope noone will be deceived by him.

Re: Almost scammed - but I was cautious

Good for you!:rain:

8. 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Reason
    spam