+ Reply to Thread

What exactly is Cthulhu?

Hi everyone....

I'm not sure if anyone can help me out with this, but i noticed a new neighbor of mine has a strange decal on the back of his car...

it is a metal emblem that is affixed to this persons trunk of their car.... much like the the familiar "Jesus Fish"/IXOYE emblems that are common on automobiles and similar to those are the "Darwin" take on them...

This one, however, has "tenticles" coming out of the head area and has CTHULHU written in it with a 666....

it is quite disconcerning and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about this type of emblem and what it means....

thanks for any insight should anyone have any.

Re: What exactly is Cthulhu?

from Wikipedia:

Cthulhu (other spellings: Kutulu, Kthulhut, Thu Thu, Tulu[1], and many others) is a fictional character in the Cthulhu Mythos created by horror author H.P. Lovecraft.[2] Cthulhu is often preceded by the title Great or Dread.

Lovecraft suggested that Cthulhu is pronounced "Khlul'-hloo" (IPA: [ˈʀlʊlχlu])[3]. According to Lovecraft, however, this is merely the closest that the human vocal apparatus can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language. Other possible pronunciations include /kəˈθuːluː/, /kəˈθʊːluː/, or /kəˈtʰʊːluː/.[4]

Although the cycle of stories written by Lovecraft, his protégés, and his literary successors bear the label "Cthulhu Mythos" (a term invented by August Derleth and never used by Lovecraft), Cthulhu is arguably one of the least terrible creatures in the pantheon.[5] Cthulhu himself[6] debuted in Lovecraft's short story "The Call of Cthulhu"[7] (1928)—though he makes minor appearances in a few other of Lovecraft's works[8].

hmmmm.... interesting.

i wonder what the religious aspect of this thing is....? (hence the 666)...

does anyone know if there is some sort of crazy cult that "worships" this science fiction character?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGfranky75
    hmmmm.... interesting.

i wonder what the religious aspect of this thing is....? (hence the 666)...

does anyone know if there is some sort of crazy cult that "worships" this science fiction character?
    perhaps H.P. Lovecraft himself?

BIGfranky75

H.P. Lovecraft: One of my personal favorites. Along with Poe and others. I read a lot of these "scary monster" stories when I was about 14 years old. Like many high school kids of my generation I was fascinated by this stuff. I have often recommended Lovecraft to Steven King fans. I consider King to be a clever rip-off artist borrowing unashamedly from the likes of Poe and Lovecraft. It was a pleasure to revisit what is on the net. Easy to find. He was rumored to have been an occult practitioner akin to Alexis Crowley. I don’t think it has ever been proven though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.P._Lovecraft

Lovecraft as "an oneiric writer, finding his dreams a source of dissonance, may attempt to reduce the dissonance by transforming his dreams into art … denying them objective significance." [4] Lovecraft's denial of the objective significance of dreams, including his own, has suggested to the first group of thinkers that there is no foundation in the exotic claims made by the second school of thinkers - and to be fair, Lovecraft positively denied belief in the irrationalist doctrines with which he associated occultists and mystics. However, as Mosig has pointed out, the degree of dissonance between Lovecraft's nightmarish dream experiences and the experiences in his waking life, was such that he needed to develop a method of controlling the dream-world in order to maintain the ultra-rationalist attitude he subscribed to during waking hours. This method of control became his fictional oeuvre: The Cthulhu Mythos.[4]

http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/ktul_prophet.html
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 06-10-2006 at 03:21 AM.

666?? Ooh! Looks like Damien from the Omen lives next door to you! Be careful :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky36
    666?? Ooh! Looks like Damien from the Omen lives next door to you! Be careful :eek:

mock me if you'd like.... but i would assume that anyone with a rational mind wouldnt exactly jump for joy if a devil worshipper (or something akin thereof) moved into the neighborhood.

if you had a couple of little ones, would you be happy if someone who publicly displayed something that is inherently evil like that moved into the neighborhood? think about it.

even if it were simply to "ruffle feathers" or to call attention to him/herself....what kind of person is that and who would want them as a neighbor?

mock me if you'd like.... but i would assume that anyone with a rational mind wouldnt exactly jump for joy if a devil worshipper (or something akin thereof) moved into the neighborhood.
    How would you feel if one got elected President?
    George Sr. his retard son Dubbya and Kerry are members of this 'cult'.
    Skull And Bones

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in576332.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_Bones

http://www.infowars.com/print/Secret...ry_bush_sb.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    How would you feel if one got elected President?
    George Sr. his retard son Dubbya and Kerry are members of this 'cult'.
    Skull And Bones

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in576332.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_Bones

http://www.infowars.com/print/Secret...ry_bush_sb.htm

hmmmm.... i am not extremely well versed on this skull & crossbones secret society.... but i think that there is a big difference between a secret society (more or less a frat or "club" for the spoiled brat kids of the rich and affluent) and a devil worshipping cult. my first inclination is that neither dubbya or john kerry are devil worshippers (they might be idiots, dont get me wrong... but i just cant imagine either of them worshipping the devil...or some tenticle-faced science fiction character for that matter)..

but that is just me.... again, i dont know a whole lot about skull & bones, but i also dont want to get too entirely off topic here. i am just curious as to what type of cult is out there that worships this "CTHULHU"... again, if anyone knows anyone that is into this type of thing.... i am definitely interested, as i want to know if i should be concerned.

but that is just me.... again, i dont know a whole lot about skull & bones, but i also dont want to get too entirely off topic here. i am just curious as to what type of cult is out there that worships this "CTHULHU"... again, if anyone knows anyone that is into this type of thing.... i am definitely interested, as i want to know if i should be concerned.
    You can find some evidence of this at one of the links I posted. There is indeed some kind of Half-A-S-SED Cult that sprung up around this fictional character.
    Many of these cults, based on science fiction or other elements of popular culture have a relatively short life expectancy. [exception: Scientology]
    Some of their adherents may find favor with more established cults or some more established cults may use the iconography to recruit new members. I knew a guy from my neighborhood when I was a kid that was obsessed with Vikings and all manner of nonsense that was associated to Vikings. He ended up hanging with some real cult guys so from my experience I can see you might have some cause for concern. I have also met some Lovecraft Fans that have some interest in real ‘magic’.
    Most of these people are hobbyists.
    What is more disconcerting to me is that children through a variety of popular culture Icons have become more active in the pursuit of Darker Powers. This seems to happen to some degree with every new generation. The thing that I found bothersome is that the trend and linkage[ to some of the same icons] has continued for several generations now. Some of the Icons like Charley Manson, from 30 years ago, are still popular with some kids today. Why? This is stupid.
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 06-10-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Did it look like this?

I have seen lots of these, but never one with 666 on it. The origin is from the book or from the game Call of Cthulhu.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    Did it look like this?

I have seen lots of these, but never one with 666 on it. The origin is from the book or from the game Call of Cthulhu.
    DAMN!
    Didn't know there was such a huge interest in this. Also, I did not know there was a game.
    The 'Mythos' could be analogous to the internet itself, the dark-side.
    Apparently since Lovecraft's works and idea's are public domain this seems to accelerated new interpretations of his nightmares.
    I also wonder what Lovecraft himself might think about this.
    WOW

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    Did it look like this?

actually yes.... it was very similar to that. it was however, not a sticker, it was actual "raised metal" it was a bit different, with more pronounced legs and more "tentacles" on the head part.... but the theme was obviously the same.... just a different version of the same thing.

yeah, and the one on my neighbors car has a '666' with it as well, which is what originally freaked me out.... now the whole thing weirds me out!!!

This even appears in pop culture. Metallica in 1984 released a song called The Call of Ktulu, on Ride The Lightning. Cool song, arguably Mustaine's biggest success with Metallica. But you either love it or hate it I think, if you don't like it 3 minutes into it you won't like the next 6 minutes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Ktulu

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    This even appears in pop culture. Metallica in 1984 released a song called The Call of Ktulu, on Ride The Lightning. Cool song, arguably Mustaine's biggest success with Metallica. But you either love it or hate it I think, if you don't like it 3 minutes into it you won't like the next 6 minutes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Ktulu

AHHHH.... SUBJUNK! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOUR 2 CENTS IN THIS THREAD! THANKS FOR JUMPING IN....I WAS HOPING FOR A LITTLE MORE OPINION AND INSIGHT INTO THE ACTUAL "CULT" ITSELF .... BUT I WILL TAKE ANY RESPONSE I CAN GET WITH REGARDS TO THIS, SO THANKS! :D

(oops... sorry about the caps...i wasnt paying atention and didnt know they were on, my bad! :o )

anyways...i didnt put 2 and 2 together regarding this cult thing and that song.... how weird... i LOVE that song! that is awesome.... maybe this weirdo on my street is just a crazy metallica fan?!?!?!? ;)

Hehe sorry I'll give a good post now. Good to see we have another Metallica fan here! Definitely one of my all time favourite bands.
    Also from their 1989 album Master of Puppets, the song The Thing That Should Not Be is about Cthulhu.
    I'm by no means an expert on this cult, but one of my ex-girlfriends was into that kind of thing so I have an idea.
    I think it's more like a pop culture symbol than an actual cult for most people, firstly. I think most people who have paintings and symbols of Cthulhu, Satanis, etc. could be safely compared to all the white people who get Japanese and Chinese tattoos just because they look cool, not because they know or care what they mean.
    However for the people who do follow the cult, it's somewhat like Satanism in the way that a core belief is that humans are evil by nature - albeit this is similar to the way even some fundamentalist Christians see things :p

Another aspect is that of realism followed by, in a sense, anti-realism. The cult encourages people to analyse their lives, find out who they really are once their minds are stripped of their societally-bound confines, and see the world for what it really is, then once they're fully self-aware they can start to change themselves and the world into something better.
    Here's a website I found on it http://www.cultofcthulhu.net/ it looks okay, but it appears to be just one guy's site and looks like a bit of a weirdo so don't take it too seriously.
    I can look for better links if you're really interested in knowing more :)

ALL i want to know is.........are the "monsters due on maple street"......OR NOT!!i just want to stay IN-FORMED!?please help me mr.repected authority figure moderator dude!?your BIGGER than me!?(WHERE IT COUNTS!?)........right!?hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 06-17-2006 at 10:34 AM.