+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone heard of Stanley Powell?

I have been working for this man for a couple of weeks now posting jobs on ******list and last week he had me order checks with his account not mine to send out to employees that work for him. The one thing that I am really freaked out about is he wants me to sign the checks. I asked him last week if he was going to send me a rubber stamp with the account holders name on it and he told me yes, then he told me that he was going to send me a signature letter that gives me permission to sign the checks. I have a horrible feeling that this is a scam in some way. He has never asked me for money out of pocket and I have not seen a paycheck yet he told me that he would be sending me a check Wed for the two weeks work. When I did ask him questions about the job being a potenial scam he told me that he would like to send me a plane ticket to TX so that he could meet me. He also said that he would make sure that I was set up in a hotel with expense money. So what do you think? And has anyone ever come across this man?

Re: Has anyone heard of Stanley Powell?

100% scam.

Cease all communications with that criminal immediately.

You are his "check mule", which means you are sending out fake checks to innocent victims who think they have a job cashing checks for a fake mystery shopper job or personal assistant job. The UPS/FedEx billing account number is stolen and the bank accounts are stolen.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Any check he sends you will be a fake as the ones you are sending out.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-fraud-watching site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of lost money, millions in the bank and desperate, loney, sexy singles. He will sell you email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
    1) Job asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
    2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
    3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
    4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
    5) Job asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Hi - can you describe Stanley Powell? Age? Race? Hight? I might have met him. Regards Santa

Sign those checks and you are finished. That is transferring the money to other accounts and if there is a problem, you are the one that will be in trouble.