+ Reply to Thread

100% chance for life on newly found planet

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/30...pt=P1&iref=NS1

'100 percent' chance for life on newly found planet?
    An artist rendering shows the four inner planets of the Gliese 581 system and their host star

Gliese 581g may be the new Earth.
    A team of astronomers from the University of California and the Carnegie Institute of Washington say they've found a planet like ours, 20 light years (120 trillion miles) from Earth, where the basic conditions for life are good.
    "The chances for life on this planet are 100 percent," Steven Vogt, a UC professor of astronomy and astrophysics says. "I have almost no doubt about it."
    The planet is three times the size of Earth, but the gravity is similar.
    Dr. Elizabeth Cunningham, planetarium astronomer at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, says the discovery is a huge deal.
    "It could have liquid water on the surface," she said. "That's the first step to find life."

The Gliese 581 system's orbit compared to our own solar system. The planet labeled G is the one scientists believe could very likely support life.

There are hundreds of known extrasolar planets that have been discovered in the Milky Way, but this is the first that could support life.
    Earthlings won't be traveling to Gliese 581g any time soon unfortunately. Scientists say a spaceship traveling close to the speed of light would take 20 years to make this journey.
    But if we did - we'd find some other things familiar. The atmosphere and gravity are similar to Earth, and if you're from the polar regions, you'd definitely feel right at home. Scientists say the highest average temperature is about -12 degrees Celcius (10 Fahrenheit), but they point out that the planet doesn't have a night and day - one side continually faces the star and the other side faces the darkness of space. This means one side is blazing hot and the other freezing cold.
    Gliese orbits a red dwarf star called Gliese 581. Cunningham says "it's a Goldilocks planet."
    "It's not too hot, it's not too cold, it's just right" for water to form, Cunningham said.
    The area is called the "Goldilocks zone."
    Other planets near Gliese 581g have been discovered, but they are not habitable and are mainly comprised of gas. Gliese 581g, however, is a rocky planet.
    It was discovered using the Keck telescope in Hawaii which has been observing the star Gliese 581 for 11 years.
    "Keck's long-term observations of the wobble of nearby stars enabled the detection of this multi-planetary system," said Mario R. Perez, Keck program scientist at NASA headquarters in Washington.
    Astronomers are excited this new planet was discovered so fast and relatively close by.
    "I'm surprised we found one so fast," Cunningham said. "The implication is either we were very lucky or these planets could be relatively common."
    Gliese 581g is in the constellation of Libra. While Earth takes 365 days to orbit our star, the sun, Gliese 581g orbits its star in 37 days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Breaking News, Political headlines, news from around the world and yes my EXCLUSIVE one on one talk with Kermit The Frog. I want to welcome our viewers from the United States and around the world. Im Wolf Blitzer this is the Situation Room live from our nations capitol in Washington D.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5MkX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folC_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAK-XiCLw-Q&feature=fvsr

Re: 100% chance for life on newly found planet

This is a really amazing discovery, but people are jupming the gun on claiming there is life there. We don't even know if it has water yet, only that it's the right temperature for liquid water.

Yes, very exciting stuff! Kinda proves that the possibility of other life is real. We may only be talking about a microbe, but it's still life.

Cheers, Pokey

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Haven't we already proven water and life on mars?
    Definitely water in the past, but no solid evidence of life. Our best bet of finding life in the solar system is probably on one of Saturn's moons, Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit The Frog View Post
    "The chances for life on this planet are 100 percent," Steven Vogt, a UC professor of astronomy and astrophysics says. "I have almost no doubt about it."
    I remember the good old days when 100% bought absolute certainty. But after decades of inflation, it just doesn't get you what it did back then. :
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    I remember the good old days when 100% bought absolute certainty. But after decades of inflation, it just doesn't get you what it did back then. :
    Well he said life.

Life could be a simple as bacteria.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Spector567 View Post
    Well he said life.

Life could be a simple as bacteria.
    Correction... Life AS WE KNOW IT can be as simple as a bacteria.

Life could be as simple as a crystalline, gaseous or silicone based entity. All have been theorized in science fiction.

We might still find a new form of life on the surface of Jupiter, existing in a manor we never dreamed of.
    Last edited by Lord_jag; 10-03-2010 at 06:42 AM.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    This is a really amazing discovery, but people are jupming the gun on claiming there is life there. We don't even know if it has water yet, only that it's the right temperature for liquid water.
    100% chance for life... Is that like when the credit card company says that you are pre-approved to APPLY for a credit card? You're not going to get one, but you're allowed to apply... Sure... 100% that you could look for life on this planet.

The right temperature/mass sure, but the always facing the sun part worries me as well as the 37 day year and the red dwarf sun. The radiation spectrum would be different. Wouldn't that affect the planet chemistry?

120 trillion miles.... how fast is the fastest ion drive system we have? I don't think we'll get there any time soon... though that sounds like a great place to test the ion drive... send a probe. In a few hundred years we might have our answer.
    Last edited by Lord_jag; 10-03-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    100% chance for life... Is that like when the credit card company says that you are pre-approved to APPLY for a credit card? You're not going to get one, but you're allowed to apply... Sure... 100% that you could look for life on this planet.

The right temperature/mass sure, but the always facing the sun part worries me as well as the 37 day year and the red dwarf sun. The radiation spectrum would be different. Wouldn't that affect the planet chemistry?

120 trillion miles.... how fast is the fastest ion drive system we have? I don't think we'll get there any time soon... though that sounds like a great place to test the ion drive... send a probe. In a few hundred years we might have our answer.
    Lol. I missed that.

In the actual quote from the article though, he said the chances are 100%.

I don't have the numbers handy, but I read that if we traveled at the fastest speed a human spaceship has ever traveled (which was during a slingshot around Jupiter), it would take about 40,000 years to get there.

If you left on that trip now, 1000 years later you'd probably be overtaken by a new bunch of astronauts in a faster ship.

What is a 100% chance?
    career building!? or just irrational exuberance!? maybe he was tryin ta be double positive!? of course absolute is around 110% now isn't it!? :cwm2: :spin2: : :
    Last edited by lexx; 10-03-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

If you left on that trip now, 1000 years later you'd probably be overtaken by a new bunch of astronauts in a faster ship.
    Do you think they would pull up right behind with their high beams flashing and then swerve dangerously close as they pass while flipping them the bird? I mean... It's not like there aren't any other open lanes they could travel in, right?

:spin2:

What is a 100% chance?

Well... there's a 100% chance you were going to ask that question.... now...

In 1996, NASA scientists announced that they may have proof of life on Mars. They had found what looked like fossilised bacteria in a meteorite that had once been part of the Red Planet.
    As I remember, some lady found the rock lying on the ground in Antarctica. A meteor hit Mars, blasted the rock into space, it traveled to the earth, fell through the atmosphere, landed in the Antarctic highlands, and remained there undisturbed for centuries because there is basically no precipitation in the Antarctic interior.

So can a person still go to Antarctica today and find rocks like around on the ground that came from other planets?

Leftists believe whatever they want to believe, and then frame their arguments to suit their beliefs, no matter how silly and embarrassing they may be.

And they always call it "science".

Here's an example of Leftist "science" from Professor Kazza, who while on my Ignore List, slipped in by being quoted:

Originally Posted by kazza

"Science", Leftist style:

1. YOU live "1000 years"
    2. Your rocket ship carries ample oxygen, food, water, and supplies to LAST 1000 years
    3. Later generations will be so stupid as to attempt even to get OUT OF OUR SOLAR SYSTEM, which currently takes some 10 to 15 years.

How much oxygen, and food, and water, and supplies, again, would that take, just for a 10 to 15 year trip?

Last edited by BarackZero; 10-25-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    "As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - Newt Gingrich

Quote Originally Posted by BarackZero View Post

Leftists believe whatever they want to believe, and then frame their arguments to suit their beliefs, no matter how silly and embarrassing they may be.

And they always call it "science".

Here's an example of Leftist "science" from Professor Kazza, who while on my Ignore List, slipped in by being quoted:

Originally Posted by kazza

"Science", Leftist style:

1. YOU live "1000 years"
    2. Your rocket ship carries ample oxygen, food, water, and supplies to LAST 1000 years
    3. Later generations will be so stupid as to attempt even to get OUT OF OUR SOLAR SYSTEM, which currently takes some 10 to 15 years.

How much oxygen, and food, and water, and supplies, again, would that take, just for a 10 to 15 year trip?

ROFL. Are you really that dense, old man?

Do you really think I was suggesting that Lord Jag would be on the spaceship, and would live for 1000 years? Lol.

ROFL. Are you really that dense, old man?

Do you really think I was suggesting that Lord Jag would be on the spaceship, and would live for 1000 years? Lol.
    Someone doesn't know how a hypothetical discussion works. LOL