+ Reply to Thread

Mystery Shopping???

If I'm in the wrong forum about this topic can somebody direct me to the right one...I'm trying to look into easy ways to make money on the side as everyone does...I just started the freebie sites and love it but does anyone know about these mystery shops online or what websites to go to and make money on the side...also is there any other sites you can do online to make money like work at home or anything?
    New yet Working on it...Looking forward to making a list like the Vets! :D

*******The man w/ a thousand names********** TwoHeaded aka Ric Rude aka Gangsta& a Gent aka getrichordietryin aka King tut aka armando "the pimp assasin" aka ricardo aka chard aka snake eyes :cool:

Re: Mystery Shopping???

You can make some money mystery shopping. In the beginning the shops usually pay low but if you are dedicated and a good shopper you will get higher paying assignments as time goes on. Typically, you will fill out an application and if you are approved you will be emailed shops that come up in your area. You do have to act fast if there are other shoppers already in your area.
    I have a free list of mystery shopping and survey companies on my website you can use to sign up. You can access it through my profile if interested.

Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard Warns Consumers of "Secret" Shopper Scam

(Phoenix, Ariz. - July 12, 2006) Attorney General Terry Goddard today warned Arizona consumers about a new scam involving phony advertisements for employment as a "secret," "mystery" or "investigative" shopper.

Recently, several Tucson residents have answered employment ads calling for "shoppers" to test a company service, claiming that if they perform this job, they will be paid thousands of dollars.

"This is a new twist on old scams," Goddard said. "This combines a phony job offer with the fake cashier's check scam. The ads and the employment packages look real, but they're not. The cashier's checks look so real that even bank employees have been fooled."

In some instances, the scam works this way: When consumers contact the company about the position, they are told they can earn money by purchasing items at different stores or dining at different restaurants. This is the hook that gets consumers to take the next step to become a "secret" shopper. The company then sends an employment packet. The packet includes business evaluation forms, a training assignment and a fake cashier's check, often ranging between $2,000 and $4,000.

The training assignment is to pose as a customer and wire money to a "relative." The consumer is told to cash the check and wire the money to an address in Canada. The check is phony and bounces after the consumer deposits the check into his or her personal account and wires the money, leaving the consumer liable for the fake check. Consumers are told they have 48 hours to complete the "assignment" or they will lose their job.

"Consumers need to know that a legitimate company will never send you a cashier's check out of the blue or require you to send money to someone you have never met," Goddard said. "The scam artists use realistic looking documents, the 'secret' nature of the job, and the 48-hour deadline to pressure consumers into cashing the check and wiring the money quickly before the bank or the consumer can determine it was a fake check. By then, it's too late."

Goddard said that while some "secret" shopper companies are legitimate, consumers should be skeptical of any secret, mystery or investigative shopping companies that:
    Advertise jobs for shoppers on the radio, in a newspaper's classified or "help wanted" section or through unsolicited email. Legitimate secret shopper companies generally do not advertise for jobs in this manner.
    "Guarantee" a job as a mystery, secret or investigative shopper.
    Charge a fee just for applying or charge a fee for access to secret shopping job opportunities. You should not pay any fee to apply or to obtain job information.
    Appear to be located in places outside the country, such as Canada. If the company does not have an established office nearby that you can visit in person, be very cautious.

Goddard offered the following additional tips to protect consumers from these scams:
    Do not depend on the funds from a cashier's check from a source you do not know.
    There is usually no legitimate reason for someone who is giving you money to ask for money to be wired back or wired to a third party. Don't do it.
    Do not rely on the fact that the check was accepted for deposit by their financial institution as evidence of the check's authenticity. It can take up to a week or more for a financial institution to determine whether a check is good, especially if the check is from an institution located outside the United States.
    Consumers are responsible for the deposited fake check, even if it was a cashier's check. When the check bounces, the bank deducts from the consumer's account the amount that was credited with the fake check.
    It is always a good idea to check with the Better Business Bureau and investigate any business offering this sort of employment.
    If you believe you have been a victim of fraud, please contact the Attorney General's Office in Phoenix at 602.542.5763, in Tucson at 520.628.6504, or outside the metro areas at 1.800.352.8431. To file a complaint in person, the Attorney General's Office has 23 satellite offices throughout the state with volunteers available to help. Locations and hours of operation are posted on the Attorney General's Web site. Consumers can also file complaints online at www.azag.gov.

Terry Goddard

Consumer Advisories and Scam Alerts"

I've always thought this whole mystery shopper thing is a big ass scam
    Recieved
    Computer-offer $2000 GC
    Consumergain.com $500 Visa GC
    TopConsumerRewards $100 Visa GC
    theuseful.com Best Buy $50 GC
    Mavishare $34 paypal
    $250 Check fron Gadgetcity in lieu of Wii

Incomplete
    Gaming.free4me PS3 11 referals needed
    YourFreeVideoiPods 8 referals needed
    PlasmaForFree 20 referals needed
    OrderCash4Free Referals needed

The only way I'd do it is if they sent me a prepaid visa.
    Gifts Received
    Freegasonus.com - $50 gas card (2/2)
    Nationalsurveypanel.com - $100 gift card (3/3)
    Consumergain.com - $500 visa card (6/6)
    Exclusivegiftcards.com - Gateway laptop - (6/6)
    Theuseful.com - $50 gift card (1/1)
    Nuitech - 20" iMac (18/18)
    Yourgiftcards.com - $100 gas card (1/1)

Pending Delivery
    Anyfreegift.com - Playstation 2 (2/2)

Gifts In Progress
    CIP - $500 card (4/8)

I was considering trying it.....only if there's no fee included......i don't believe in paying fees for employment.

I've done it twice so far, in one month.

Just visited a shop for about 15 minutes and talked, and made $10 each time.

It's sort of fun, too. Makes you feel like a secret agent. ;)

$100 Gas card - Your Gift Cards - 1/1 Recieved (Visa) - 07-24-06
    $50 Gift Card - The Useful - 1/1 Recieved ($75) - 03-27-06
    $50 Walmart Gift Card - 50DollarGiftCard - 1/1 Recieved - 04-03-06
    Xbox 360 - Gadget City - 4/4 Received ($300 gift card) - 05-01-06
    42" Plasma - Every Free Gift - 6/6 Recieved ($1000 check) - 07-06-06
    TIVO+Samsung 30" HDTV - Must Have Free Gifts - 3/3 Recieved ($950 check) - 12-08-06

Cheap Lunch Total: $2475

It's great to know about that scam that Phinnly wrote about especially if you are interested in being a shopper. Mystery shopping companies don't advertise on tv or on the radio as far as I have ever seen and they don't send you out with a check to make purchases. If a purchase is required you make the purchase with your own money and then you either return the item or you are reimbursed for it. There is a list of mystery shopping companies on my website (does not redirect you to a list you have to pay for). You sign up with each company, you fill out an application, in some cases you are also given a little "class" and must pass a test in order to be able to shop. It is fun and you can work your way up to some pretty great shops.

Here's the truth about mystery shopping.

It's a scam

Wait, I guess I should elaborate a little.

I think this is shady because the catch comes after they get your personal information.

To sigh up for this they ask you your name, address, and all these things so you can take part and begin getting paid. After they get your personal info they play 20 questions so they can better profile you. At this point regardless if you follow through to the end, they already have you personal info, and you start giving them information in relationship to your interest that in turn they'll go around selling to the whole world. If they find out your name, age, location, phone number, sex, and etc. they will sell this information and you can look forward to getting harrasses for months to come.

If you do complete all the questions before you get started the last thing they'll ask you to do is go to one of 20 sites and spend so much money. They more you spend, the more they'll pay you to "mystery shop." If you decide to skip this final step and not receive you're $5 gift certificate to Home Depot, you can still expect a flood of sales pitches in your mail, email, and by phone.

It's a business like any other business. It wouldn't be there, if they weren't planning at making money at it.

I don't know of anyone that's eating free Red Lobster, Outback, and wearing new clother because they've been selectively choosen online to be over compensated for their criticism.

The real mystery about mystery shopping is, does anyone ever get half what's implied when they get started at it?

Hi new member here
    And thought i would give my experience on mystery shopping, i have done it quite a few times in England and have always been paid.

I have mystery shopped in pubs (great fun) by the time i got to the 4th pub i was so drunk that the landlord caught me filling out the report and started to treat me like the queen, i have also mystery shopped in resteraunts, And supermarkets., and banks, and telephoned checked.

"I HAVE NEVER PAID ANY FEES TO REGISTER AS A MYSTERY SHOPPER AND NEVER WOULD"

So lastly this is how it works in England, so if a company asks you to hand over money for mystery shopping take my advice and dont do it,i agree with a previous poster as the companies get to know and trust you the jobs get more lucrative. Dont know how it works in the USA though

Mirelle x